HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 3:31 PM
Bridge Walker!

Can you go home again?

I'm considering re-locating back to London after 24 years in Vancouver. I have a few questions and I would appreciate any advice you Londoners could offer up for me.

Initially I'd be renting to reacquaint myself with the Forest City but ultimately I'd be buying a house. Most likely a house with an income suite or the potential to add one down the road. Is there any particular neighborhood (aside from student housing) that has high demand for rental housing?

What would you say are the best hiking trails in and around London? Also, what would be the best neighborhood to live (potentially) without wheels? I remember the LTC not being the greatest.

I'd be moving back to be closer to family but also due to much lower housing and cost of living expenses. Additionally, I've had my fill of living in small condos.

Thanks so much for any insight you may have.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 7:25 PM
Sanity merchant

anything near Western. Rent specifically to international students too. They will NOT fuck your place up. Best neighbourhood is subjective. I love the east end. But as earlier, stick with western and such, and you'll be golden. LTC works. Well enough for me anyways, and I drive. When I take it, I have no issues.

Hiking is good around Westminster ponds

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post

Hiking is good around Westminster ponds
If you've lived in BC or anywhere with decent hills, you will find London to be absolute sh*t for hiking. Southern ontario is incredibly flat. The closest okay place for hiking would be the Bruce trail around Hamilton way.

As far as neighbourhoods, you can get a tenant anywhere in the city. I would be looking around Worley village or old north, both close enough to western uni and downtown.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 12:15 AM
Sanity merchant

I'm aware, just giving local options as that's what he's looking for.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 12:22 AM
The Vomit Bag.

the consolation prize is the beaches of Lake Huron.
I lived in Vancouver for 5 years.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 4:19 AM
Bridge Walker!

Thanks for the replies. It would be a big change living back in London but because I'm a native Londoner, I already have a good idea what to expect. I liked London even when I left for economic reasons back in 1990. I know that downtown had declined and has become somewhat resurgent between then and now. Obviously, the manufacturing sector has declined but the local economy seems to be plodding along.

Should I have long term confidence as a potential Landlord in London?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkelley View Post
Thanks for the replies. It would be a big change living back in London but because I'm a native Londoner, I already have a good idea what to expect. I liked London even when I left for economic reasons back in 1990. I know that downtown had declined and has become somewhat resurgent between then and now. Obviously, the manufacturing sector has declined but the local economy seems to be plodding along.

No question "downtown" has become much different, it is much more accessible for people who actually live there which is a nice change.

In terms of being a landlord realistically anywhere in the city will be fine just comes down to what type of space you think you will be offering and what type of tenant you want?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Downtown London's biggest problem is the lack of a full service grocery store. If I still lived in London I wouldn't live downtown for that reason alone. How my current city (Kingston) supports both a Metro and Food Basics downtown while London doesn't have any grocery store is beyond me.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I'm considering re-locating back to London after 24 years in Vancouver. I have a few questions and I would appreciate any advice you Londoners could offer up for me.

Initially I'd be renting to reacquaint myself with the Forest City but ultimately I'd be buying a house. Most likely a house with an income suite or the potential to add one down the road. Is there any particular neighborhood (aside from student housing) that has high demand for rental housing?

What would you say are the best hiking trails in and around London? Also, what would be the best neighborhood to live (potentially) without wheels? I remember the LTC not being the greatest.

I'd be moving back to be closer to family but also due to much lower housing and cost of living expenses. Additionally, I've had my fill of living in small condos.

Thanks so much for any insight you may have.
Good luck. What's in bold is my feelings too why I long-term would be open to relocating back to London too. Family is all there, and I genuinely miss it.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 11:50 PM
Sanity merchant

People can shit over London all they want, but for the most part, it's a pretty great place to live. I wasn't born in Canada, and in my travels, and all that shiznazz, I genuinely find it a fun place to live. Realistically, we're an hour from the border at Port Huron, two to Detroit, and roughly two to Buffalo. We are an hour and 45 from Canada's biggest city, four from some DAMN good canoeing, and more if you're willing to go an extra two. The Bruce is fan-fucking-tastic, and we're sandwiched in between two freshwater lakes, where each has its own benefits, with a third only a hour and a half drive. We're not super gang infested, we have a lot of shops, and the city really is doing a long term resurgence. It's slow, but damn has it ever improved over the last 13 years.

I understand people hating the streets, the mayor(s), the crime (we're actually pretty safe for a city this size), but every city is going to have its own problems. We could do better yes, but damn, if I was to ever land smack in the middle of all of that, I wouldn't bat an eye.

A preemptive welcome back

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 12:11 AM

^^^
+1 K85, couldn't have said it any better.

Despite London's faults, it has many things going for it that make it desirable for people to stay/come back.

Being born and raised in London I can see this especially apparent with friends, and people I went to school with. Many of them have left, while some use poorly veiled slights of London being the "reason" they left, the true reason being the current lack of job opportunities. Some people I talk with desperately are looking for a better or even any job, that so that they can stay in London. Some distance acquaintances even go to asking anyone on facebook if there's any jobs available in London, as they loath to go to GTA or Alberta.
--
While LTC isn't the greatest service currently, it is improving big time with express routes to get around town quicker. Hopefully lead to a BRT service in London in the mid-term future.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 12:20 AM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
People can shit over London all they want, but for the most part, it's a pretty great place to live. I wasn't born in Canada, and in my travels, and all that shiznazz, I genuinely find it a fun place to live. Realistically, we're an hour from the border at Port Huron, two to Detroit, and roughly two to Buffalo. We are an hour and 45 from Canada's biggest city, four from some DAMN good canoeing, and more if you're willing to go an extra two. The Bruce is fan-fucking-tastic, and we're sandwiched in between two freshwater lakes, where each has its own benefits, with a third only a hour and a half drive. We're not super gang infested, we have a lot of shops, and the city really is doing a long term resurgence. It's slow, but damn has it ever improved over the last 13 years.

I understand people hating the streets, the mayor(s), the crime (we're actually pretty safe for a city this size), but every city is going to have its own problems. We could do better yes, but damn, if I was to ever land smack in the middle of all of that, I wouldn't bat an eye.

A preemptive welcome back
Thanks for your reply. Always nice to see genuine sincerity in postings as obviously, you enjoy living in the Forest City. Your enthusiasm makes me reflect upon my options and am leaning evermore so to pulling the trigger. I still remember all the good times I had as a young adult before I left.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 12:27 AM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Good luck. What's in bold is my feelings too why I long-term would be open to relocating back to London too. Family is all there, and I genuinely miss it.
Thank you sir.

I fantasize about things like; not having to get out of the way of the bathroom door as you close it and going grocery shopping at a store that has aisles big enough where two shopping carts can comfortably and safely pass each other.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 12:31 AM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
^^^
+1 K85, couldn't have said it any better.

Despite London's faults, it has many things going for it that make it desirable for people to stay/come back.

Being born and raised in London I can see this especially apparent with friends, and people I went to school with. Many of them have left, while some use poorly veiled slights of London being the "reason" they left, the true reason being the current lack of job opportunities. Some people I talk with desperately are looking for a better or even any job, that so that they can stay in London. Some distance acquaintances even go to asking anyone on facebook if there's any jobs available in London, as they loath to go to GTA or Alberta.
--
While LTC isn't the greatest service currently, it is improving big time with express routes to get around town quicker. Hopefully lead to a BRT service in London in the mid-term future.
Thanks for your comments.

Nice to hear that the LTC is improving. Was there a time when they had ceased Sunday service altogether? I vaguely recall somebody mentioning that.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 1:15 AM
The Vomit Bag.

as I say to many: London is a great place to live; I just wouldn't want to visit there.

The city offers a great quality of life, but it is really sedate and lacking in attractions....I think we are short these things due to our proximity to Toronto. Unlike say, Winnipeg, which is not massively larger yet has much more to see and do. Kind of how Ottawa is seen as a boring burg, on account of being overshadowed by its nearness to the Sodom and Gomorrah of Canada (Montreal).

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 1:36 AM
Sanity merchant

Well, I'd visit. But only a day. Nothing amazing here

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Thank you sir.

I fantasize about things like; not having to get out of the way of the bathroom door as you close it and going grocery shopping at a store that has aisles big enough where two shopping carts can comfortably and safely pass each other.
I live in Metro Vancouver too, more in the suburbs (south of the fraser) but still, space is at a premium, and the cost of living, gas, everything is super high.

I'd also take the beaches of the Great Lakes or Cottage Country over mountains any day. Try to come home twice a year to visit family (immediately family in London, rest all within Southern Ontario). I'm the only one out here.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 1:25 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:

Take it from someone who has to deal with tenants as part of my job: tread carefully with "income suites". You may get excellent people who you'd love to rent to all day long, and there's nothing stopping low-income folks can be excellent tenants (so don't automatically disqualify East London). But Ontario's tenancy laws are basically put in place to destroy landlords, so watch out when you get someone bad, it will be a nightmare either dealing with them or trying to get them out. If you have any questions about this in future, just message me, I've basically been forced to memorize the RTA this summer.

The LTC is improving, even during the 4 years I went to Western, but this is an automobile city. If you're not on one of the core service routes, have fun. If you plan to go somewhere on Sunday, rest assured that there is Sunday service on many routes. But still, bring a car.

I'm going to echo what Molson said, London is a great place to live (if you can eke out a living, which a lot of people are having trouble with) but an exceptionally boring city for visitors. You would only ever go there if you had family and wanted to hang around with them, in which case there's plenty to do, but nothing that you wouldn't find somewhere like Toronto. Although that being said, living in Woodstock I've come to think of London as the "big city". Sad, ain't it?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 11:36 PM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Take it from someone who has to deal with tenants as part of my job: tread carefully with "income suites". You may get excellent people who you'd love to rent to all day long, and there's nothing stopping low-income folks can be excellent tenants (so don't automatically disqualify East London). But Ontario's tenancy laws are basically put in place to destroy landlords, so watch out when you get someone bad, it will be a nightmare either dealing with them or trying to get them out. If you have any questions about this in future, just message me, I've basically been forced to memorize the RTA this summer.

The LTC is improving, even during the 4 years I went to Western, but this is an automobile city. If you're not on one of the core service routes, have fun. If you plan to go somewhere on Sunday, rest assured that there is Sunday service on many routes. But still, bring a car.

I'm going to echo what Molson said, London is a great place to live (if you can eke out a living, which a lot of people are having trouble with) but an exceptionally boring city for visitors. You would only ever go there if you had family and wanted to hang around with them, in which case there's plenty to do, but nothing that you wouldn't find somewhere like Toronto. Although that being said, living in Woodstock I've come to think of London as the "big city". Sad, ain't it?
Thanks for your insight and offers of help. I know there are plenty of potential pitfalls with managing rental property so I may well likely call upon your experience in that regard. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

I have decided to move back to London and the advice and input from those of you on this thread weighed substantially in my decision.

Thank you boys!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Even since I've been in Kingston, London feels a lot bigger than it did in all the years I lived there. I also never noticed how multicultural London is until I moved to Kingston.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation