HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 8:41 PM
BANNED

Calgary's Cab Scene

We've all heard about Calgary's cab shortage, particularly within peak hours and big events. Is this temporary symptom relief, or a good long term solution?

Also, seeing as this comes down to the supply side not being able to match demand, why don't we see more cabs on the street here?
Quote:
City to force all Calgary cabs to operate during peak hours

By Jeremy Nolais
Calgary’s taxi boss plans to put forward “bold” new rules that will require every one of the city’s 1,526 cabs to be running during weekend peak-demand hours.

The sweeping changes would be a far step above conditions currently imposed on the 115 taxi licenses released in 2012 and 2013 requiring them to be operational on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Marc Halat, the city’s chief livery officer, said it will now be the responsibility of each plateholder to ensure their vehicle is on the road from 4 p.m. to 4 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights every week. Similar rules would be in place for the 10 days of the Calgary Stampede, Halloween, St. Patrick’s Day as well as Thursday and Sunday evenings on long weekends and when inclement weather has created severe delays with transporting paying customers.

The taxi manager said the move aims to address concerns from critics that the city’s “slow-release” taxi-plate system is dated and also aims to undercut what he described as a growing number of “gypsy cabs” working city streets.

“There’s a risk with those that isn’t in the public interest,” he said of the rogue vehicles, which are operated by everyday citizens and tend to lack proper insurance.

Halat’s team also explored granting more freedom to luxury sedan vehicles to operate in a similar manner as taxis during peak periods but the fear is would undercut profits for the lower-priced operators.

He said he hopes the new licence conditions will come into effect before the start of this year’s Stampede.

Data published from last July provided a statistical snapshot of supply-demand issues plaguing the cab system. Many vehicles struggle to find fares during the day but also struggle to keep pace with the rush of party-weary passengers on the weekend.

Halat’s plan, which goes before the Taxi and Limousine Advisort Committee on Friday, would see hundreds more vehicles on the street during certain periods, For example, just 963 cabs were working on average at 3 a.m. Saturday morning during the summertime data-tracking period.

But Jeff Garland, general manager for Associated Cab, said the new rules will turn away “quality drivers” from working the city.

“Forcing guys to work certain hours is not going to solve anything,” he said.

“It’s a supply problem . . . they need to add more cars.”

Halat said city council has been briefed on the plan but it doesn’t require their approval. He said he will discuss the matter with taxi-industry representatives but it would “take a pretty convincing argument” to change his mind on the changes.
http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/946...ng-peak-hours/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 8:44 PM

Every cab running during late night hours? I guess that would mean they have to hire more drivers.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Every cab running during late night hours? I guess that would mean they have to hire more drivers.
I read somewhere it's possible to have them all running because of part-time drivers who can fill in the voids, but I don't know if this solution really makes sense long term. Anything the city can do to push for more cabs in total?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:20 PM
YIMBY

This has to be the dumbest idea out of the taxi commission ever, why not just remove the restriction on the number of cabs? Licence the drivers, inspect the vehicles, and require insurance and let anyone become a cab driver.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:24 PM

Instead of continuing to add more rules to this regulatory mess, they should allow the market to operate freely. There is no need for any regulation beyond a licence showing that the car has been inspected for safety, is insured, and that the driver is qualified. This whole system is ridiculous.

As an aside, I got in a 10 minute argument with a cabbie last weekend because I wanted to pay with Visa and he saw that I had cash in my wallet. Should it really be that hard to give money to someone?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Instead of continuing to add more rules to this regulatory mess, they should allow the market to operate freely. There is no need for any regulation beyond a licence showing that the car has been inspected for safety, is insured, and that the driver is qualified. This whole system is ridiculous.

As an aside, I got in a 10 minute argument with a cabbie last weekend because I wanted to pay with Visa and he saw that I had cash in my wallet. Should it really be that hard to give money to someone?
I would tell him to take it or leave it, and if he didn't want to accept the Visa I would get out of the cab lol.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:30 PM

I also have no sympathy for these drivers who say they are struggling for fares when I've been refused fares on multiple occasions because the drivers were looking to find people going longer distances.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:37 PM
BANNED

I've come across cabbies who've insisted on cash only before accepting who they want to pick up late night on the weekend. Seems ridiculous.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I would tell him to take it or leave it, and if he didn't want to accept the Visa I would get out of the cab lol.
That's what I did but I had to walk a block before this idiot caved. All he did was ensure that I didn't give him a tip - although I'm half expecting to see some exorbitant charge on my next CC statement now.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I also have no sympathy for these drivers who say they are struggling for fares when I've been refused fares on multiple occasions because the drivers were looking to find people going longer distances.
I despise the cab companies here in Calgary. I also have been refused a cab ride from downtown to Glamorgan, because he said he could get a client going further. I haven't taken or even tried to take a cab since. I also have no sympathy for them. *Thats my rant.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:24 AM

Given the shortage cab shortage during peak hours and hesitance to issue more licences, this move seems reasonable. However, I think it would be even better to allow more licences.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 10:15 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Out of Toronto today:

Quote:

Toronto city council has passed a series of motions that will dramatically overhaul the taxi industry and require all of the city’s cabs to be owner-operated within 10 years.

The surprise move, which comes after years of complaints over the city’s convoluted taxi-licensing rules, would eliminate multiple-cab owners who represent more than 70 per cent of the city’s fleet, as well as the middlemen who manage the cabs on their behalf. The motion passed by council Wednesday creates a new, unified licensing system that would replace the current two-tiered system, and requires all licence holders to drive for a minimum of 167 hours a month.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle16991155/

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 10:29 AM

Spring 2008: You get the cash up front because some clowns "bail" out of the cab without paying! It happens a lot. So they're going to make sure all cabs are running during slack hours eh.... Good luck if you're a driver trying to make any money!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:49 PM
Here and There

Whats a cab? I dont take them.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Wow that's huge - the existing "Standard" plates (i.e. don't require holder to actually drive the cab) go for six figures easy. The existing multi-plate hoarders of standard plates aren't gonna let this go without a fight, their plates just became worthless!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 3:12 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I was wondering about that. Will be interesting to watch the blowback.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 4:36 PM
Inflatable Hippo

The taxi system can't be fixed anywhere at the municipal level, it has to be regulated at the provincial or state level by bureaucrats who aren't beholden to the Nucky Thompson or Chalky White of Gerrard Street etc.

I know someone at an agency in the US who is fond of saying "There are six layers between me and the Governor, come at me 'bro"

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Calgary has new cab firm, councillors look to overrule commission decision for more plates

By Jenna McMurray,Calgary Sun

Calgary has a new taxi service and could also have hundreds more cabs on the street within a year.

Coun. Ray Jones was on hand at the official launch of Calgary’s newest taxi company, Calgary United Cabs, on Sunday and explained his plan to push for 310 additional taxi licence plates to help address a cab shortage.

“We hopefully are going to mitigate that by adding 310 more licences before Christmas this year,” said Jones.

“It will take about six months to get them on the street, but Coun. (Evan) Woolley and myself are looking at doing that.”

The Taxi and Limousine Advisory Committee (TLAC) voted down the idea last month.

“TLAC voted it down, but council can overrule TLAC and that’s what we’re doing via notice of motion,” he said.

And Jones said if approved, the new plates may only be usable between certain hours. “We’re looking at probably putting restrictions on it that those new ones will be like six o’clock till six o’clock in the morning so that we cover all the bars in the city,” he said.

He said he recognizes the threat to driver incomes if the industry is flooded with plates, but said “the market is saying that we can add those cabs.”

The notice of motion will likely go to council next month.

Jones spoke out at the opening celebrations for Calgary United Cabs, which began service in February with eight vehicles. As of next week, the fleet will include about 70 vehicles, said president Rupi Gill.

The company is vowing to change cab service in Calgary for the better, with customers being the first priority.

“You’ll never hear a busy ring tone,” said Gill, adding someone will always answer the phone. “We don’t care how much money we have to spend on dispatch, because we are committed to Calgarians to provide the best service.”

About $500,000 has been invested in the company, which is comprised mostly of drivers who left their posts elsewhere.

Gill, a former Associated Cab employee, called the cab industry in Calgary a monopoly he hopes to change.

“When the drivers are happy, they serve the customer better,” he said, adding there is no trip too short and no Calgary suburb too far for a United fare.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/06/22...or-more-plates

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 5:26 PM

These guys are claiming they will have no busy signals when you call in during Stampede, pretty bold promise IMO. If they do answer the phone, I'll bet they just put you on hold for 15 minutes

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 6:04 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Do any cab companies have a 'book via text message'? having a computer booking system which can receive thousands of txts per hour and auto respond that you are booked would be great. Assuming you're booking with a cell phone anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure