HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:38 AM

Modern Architecture

There was a good discussion on CBC's The Current on modern architecture. The show was titled "Frank Gehry: Most architecture today has 'no sense of design, no respect for humanity'"

Frank Gehry, Canadian architect says: "Let me tell you one thing. In this world we are living in, 98 percent of everything that is built and designed today is pure shit. There's no sense of design, no respect for humanity or for anything else. They are damn buildings and that's it.."

It's a good listen: http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode...-for-humanity/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:18 AM
Ham-burgher

While I do like many of Gehry's buildings, there's also something to be said for a sense of "street" and a respect for both human-scale and urbanity.

Frankly (no pun intended) his buildings don't do that, in my opinion. They're often exceptional stand-outs - they make a statement, as they should for facilities like galleries and concert halls and even the odd signature tower.

Some of the 98% definitely are pure shit, but in many cases they do a better job meeting the human and urban qualities than his designs.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues