HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

View Poll Results: Should the Calgary greenling go under the Bow river or over
Under in a tunnel 45 78.95%
Over on a new bridge 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:14 AM
YYC

Greenline over the Bow

Should the new Calgary Greenline go over the bow or under the bow?

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:00 AM

If a bridge results in $500 million in savings over the tunnel option, it's the obvious choice.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:06 AM

Big if, IMO. It's going to be tunneling for a while north and south of there, so I don't fully believe that surfacing and building a high quality (expensive) bridge then diving into a tunnel again through the unstable bluffs will be cheaper. Sounds a lot more complicated to me, and complexity means cost.

And I say that as someone who has always thought the bridge would be a great option.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:54 AM
Round Head

I think one of the major challenges with the bridge is how it tunnels once in downtown. Could be a big disruption to a street and neighbouring properties.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 12:12 PM

The biggest benefit I would see for a bridge is another pedestrian/bike access built with it. Other than that, I think the tunnel is probably overall a better choice. But I'm not an engineer. Both come with significant potentials for cost overruns.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 12:35 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
If a bridge results in $500 million in savings over the tunnel option, it's the obvious choice.
Are you serious?!? I can't imagine a tunnel under the Bow costing more than half that much; maybe even half of that. It's definitely not the cost of a bridge, the two tunnel egresses and, 500 million!!!

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:47 PM
power to the people!

Definitely. The half billion is for the full tunnel option, not just the river crossing.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:49 PM

I would like to see it go over The Bow.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 2:32 PM
Near Generational

Over for me.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:00 PM
YYC

rather see it go under

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:53 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I could only answer if I could see how much one would save over the other, and what extra transit we could get for that money.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Fully agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I think one of the major challenges with the bridge is how it tunnels once in downtown. Could be a big disruption to a street and neighbouring properties.
True, but if it is going to be a bridge, it should be a more efficient elevated line, so the point is moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Are you serious?!? I can't imagine a tunnel under the Bow costing more than half that much; maybe even half of that. It's definitely not the cost of a bridge, the two tunnel egresses and, 500 million!!!
Yes it would cost that much, especially when you consider how much extra length of tunneling it would require on the north side of the river if you sunk the train so deep. That means the incremental cost of tunneling below the Bow River is not just limited to the tunnels under the river. This has been extremely well documented. Surprised you are surprised.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 12:20 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Big if, IMO. It's going to be tunneling for a while north and south of there, so I don't fully believe that surfacing and building a high quality (expensive) bridge then diving into a tunnel again through the unstable bluffs will be cheaper. Sounds a lot more complicated to me, and complexity means cost.

And I say that as someone who has always thought the bridge would be a great option.
This exactly for me.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 4:25 PM
Here and There

Regardless of what happens, I am very excited for this amazing piece of people-connecting infrastructure!

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 4:37 PM
Here and There

Could it hover over a few blocks and then duck under? I see huge problems with that because of density, but who knows? You could combine it with the Sien Lok Park Redevelopment......or just do what Vancouver did and have the train go right through a newly constructed building......yeah right.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/176/40...acd_z.jpg?zz=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 5:15 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Fully agreed.

True, but if it is going to be a bridge, it should be a more efficient elevated line, so the point is moot.

Yes it would cost that much, especially when you consider how much extra length of tunneling it would require on the north side of the river if you sunk the train so deep. That means the incremental cost of tunneling below the Bow River is not just limited to the tunnels under the river. This has been extremely well documented. Surprised you are surprised.
No offense but, I don't believe a word you say. It makes no sense that the difference in cost would be $500 million for less than a kilometre of tunnels even in Calgary's fractured shale.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 5:43 PM

It also hasn't been 'extremely well documented'. All the cost estimates so far are just that, rough estimates.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 6:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
No offense but, I don't believe a word you say. It makes no sense that the difference in cost would be $500 million for less than a kilometre of tunnels even in Calgary's fractured shale.
No offense taken, but if you "don't believe a word [I] say", why do you respond?

The increase in length of tunnels between options C and D are significantly more than a kilometer. Additionally, the increase in cost is not just all of the increased tunneling and related utilities for the tunnels, but also the way more expensive costs of the stations that would then be buried way further with option D. Virtually each and every piece increase in price substantially with the burial option.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 6:39 PM

Irrelevant though, because the only two options worth comparing are B and D. C will never be built.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 7:15 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
No offense taken, but if you "don't believe a word [I] say", why do you respond?

The increase in length of tunnels between options C and D are significantly more than a kilometer. Additionally, the increase in cost is not just all of the increased tunneling and related utilities for the tunnels, but also the way more expensive costs of the stations that would then be buried way further with option D. Virtually each and every piece increase in price substantially with the burial option.
Thanks. Now I understand. You once again decided to change the game to fit your agenda by introducing C when the discussion is about B and D. And, yeah, I felt it necessary to once again remind you that I don't believe a word you say.

$500 million + the cost of the bridge option for let's say ... a kilometre of tunnel is plain stupid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues