HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 8:56 AM
Puyo!

Portland had been defeated by...

the COUVES!

Pollard puts Potter through his paces

Potter’s Top 15Portland Mayor Tom Potter’s 15 reasons Vancouver is better than Portland:

15. Mayor Royce Pollard was the last commander at Fort Vancouver, and it’s always exciting to meet a Civil War veteran.

14. Vancouver gave one of my favorite musicians, Willie Nelson, his big break into show biz as a radio announcer.

13. Its annual Fourth of July fireworks display saves Portlanders lots of money because we get to watch it from the south banks of the mighty Columbia for free.

12. Home of Burgerville, the only fast-food restaurant in America considered one of the four basic food groups.

11. Home to the oldest apple tree in the state of Washington, and I believe it was planted in 1826 by Bob Miller.

10. It has a really cool nickname: The Coooooouv.

9. Your sales tax means you have great schools, and we have the busiest shopping malls just across the river.

8. Mayor Pollard told me Vancouver is better because you can buy a Portland coffee mug just about anywhere in Vancouver.

7. It’s a lot easier to get to than the other Vancouver.

6. It is so safe because a lot of Portland police officers live here.

5. You can still use duct tape at your parades.

4. To get here, I get to cross the I-5 Bridge that apparently was built by the Lewis and Clark expedition.

3. Just a short distance from here, the statue of George Vancouver points south across the river, to apparently where he meant to settle.

2. You have a great mayor in Royce Pollard, who I consider a good friend to Portland and a great champion for Vancouver.

1. Vancouver is great because you folks have made it a great city, green and welcoming and fun. Vancouver has a great farmers market, a wonderful Fourth of July celebration at Fort Vancouver, a terrific summer concert series at Esther Short Park and the oldest continually operating airfield in the country in Pearson Field.

N. Scott Trimble/The Columbian

Portland Mayor Tom Potter, left, accepts a gift basket — complete with copies of Vancouver Mayor Royce Pollard’s last four State of the City speeches — Monday from Pollard. Potter, after losing a bet to his counterpart, came here to recite his 15 reasons why Vancouver is better than Portland.Tuesday, March 25, 2008
By JEFFREY MIZE, Columbian staff writer It was time for Portland Mayor Tom Potter to pay up and give Vancouver its due.

Last December, Vancouver Mayor Royce Pollard whipped his fellow mayor in a good-natured competition to see who could raise most for military families suffering financial hardship during the holidays.

So late Monday afternoon, Potter climbed into his city-issued Toyota Prius and, with his wife Karin Hansen in the passenger seat, used the Interstate 5 HOV lane for a 20-minute rush hour drive to pay off the bet.

As television cameras recorded his every word at Vancouver City Hall, Potter recited his 15 reasons why Vancouver is better than Portland, a mix of witty observations, a few zingers and a couple of heartfelt tributes to a city and a mayor he considers more friend than foe.

“We’re honored to have you as our neighbor,” Potter said in closing.

Pollard listened to the barbs and accolades after proclaiming Bob Miller, the KPAM radio morning host who organizes the annual “Operation Santa Claus” fundraiser with The Salvation Army, the city’s unofficial “Mayor for the Moment.”

Pollard surrendered his seat to Miller, along with a warning, “Don’t get too comfortable,” and even presented the radio host with his gavel.

“Ikea. Hmmm,” Miller said as he examined the symbol of authority.

Pollard was irked that Miller didn’t freely wield his short-lived power. After one of Potter’s more cutting remarks — that the Capt. George Vancouver statue near Esther Short Park looks south, “to apparently where he meant to settle.” — Pollard asked the Mayor for the Moment if he was going to let Potter get away with the wisecrack.

“I live in Beaverton,” Miller replied nonchalantly.

Miller might have gotten the biggest laugh when he presented Pollard with a certificate for the future: $5 off a new Interstate bridge, with one purchase of light rail.

Light rail remains a friction point in Clark County, but the two mayors share a common goal. Last week, the Portland City Council signaled it wasn’t prepared to support a new I-5 bridge unless it brought light rail to Vancouver. Pollard embraced the same idea more than a year ago in his 2007 State of the City speech.

Pollard mentioned light rail in his own tribute to Portland, which lauded the innovation of the Portland aerial tram and noted that former Vancouver Police Chief Brian Martinek now works for Portland police. He also opined that Portland International Airport should have “Vancouver” added to its name.

Portland has more than three times as many people as Vancouver. But the small-city mayor is apparently much better than his big-city counterpart at dialing for dollars. Pollard raised $22,000, or 20 times as much as Potter’s comparatively puny $1,100 total.

Potter, as he pulled up to Vancouver City Hall a full 45 minutes before the designated 6 p.m. time, complained that he had been “sandbagged” by Pollard and that it wasn’t a fair competition. He characterized Pollard as a former military commander and himself as a liberal ex-cop.

But there was no mention of unfair competition as Potter stood at the podium inside the Vancouver council chambers and showered Vancouver with some Portland-style love.

Potter’s research department was long on humor but a little short on accuracy. He called Pollard the last commander at Fort Vancouver when, in fact, Bob Knight, current Clark College president, was the last commander at Vancouver Barracks.

The error didn’t detract from Potter’s dig at Pollard, that it’s “always exciting to meet a Civil War veteran.” The Vancouver mayor took the ribbing well and presented Potter with a basket of souvenirs.

One item was a roll of duct tape, a reminder of Portland Commissioner Randy Leonard’s complaint last year that out-of-town invaders were using duct tape to stake out prime viewing spots for the Grand Floral Parade.

Another was a coffee mug, a reminder of when Pollard went on a highly publicized cup-smashing spree after finding local Starbucks shops were selling mugs bearing Portland’s name.

“It would break my heart if you would do something destructive with this cup,” Pollard told Potter.

Pollard said he would like to repeat the competition this year. Potter, who isn’t running for re-election and will leave office at the end of 2008, made no promises.

But if he loses for a second year in a row, it might not be so newsworthy to see an out-of-office mayor shower a neighboring city with love.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 2:19 PM

Other then having a dandy old time in office, what exactly had Potter done? A few more years of his "leadership" and the Cooove may actually be a better place. Adams can't come soon enough.

Last edited by cab; Mar 25, 2008 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Pollard raised $22,000, or 20 times as much as Potter’s comparatively puny $1,100 total.
That pretty much sums up Potter's tenure as mayor!
Quote:
to see who could raise most for military families suffering financial hardship during the holidays.
Quote:
Potter’s comparatively puny $1,100 total
what a disgrace! This should go in the shame on them thread!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 3:24 PM

Wow only $1,100, what a Lazy ass!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 1:31 AM
Puyo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
what a disgrace! This should go in the shame on them thread!
For Portlanders, yes it's shame, but not for the Vancouverites

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:06 AM
Puyo!

In our view: Two mayors inject fun into politics

Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Oh, that Royce Pollard and that Tom Potter. What a couple of wild and crazy guys.
Pollard, mayor of America’s Vancouver, and Potter, the Portland mayor, settled a bet Monday night at the Vancouver City Council meeting. There were plenty of laughs and lots of good will all around.
Those of the all-business-all-the-time persuasion might call it silliness and a waste of time. Perhaps some would even consider the light-hearted, good-natured hijinks an insult to the serious business of municipal policy-making and oversight. But, those would be your sourpusses.
Our take is that it was not only fun but good for inter-city relations and even invigorating. Bob Miller, the weekday-morning host on KPAM radio (860 on the dial) who presided over the 15-minute event as “Mayor of the Moment,” had it right. Tuesday morning he reported on the event to his drive-time audience and said, “I’ve been cranky” lately due largely to politics. But the event at Vancouver City Hall, he said, showed him that politics and government can be fun and positive.
This all started when Miller was launching his annual KPAM “Operation Santa Claus” fund-raising drive to help needy families of troops deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq have a good Christmas.
Miller, who often interviews Portland-Vancouver area political figures on his radio show, arranged for a Pollard-Potter bet. Whichever mayor raised the least money for Operation Santa Claus would be the loser and have to pay homage to the winner’s town.
Despite having all those people in his city, Potter raised a mere $1,100. Pollard, in little old Vancouver, raised $22,000. (Thus far, any victims of Pollard arm twisting, cajoling or waterboarding in pursuit of donations have not come forward.)
Monday was time for Potter to pay up. Columbian reporter Jeffrey Mize reported that as KPAM’s Miller settled into the Big Chair to be Mayor for the Moment Pollard warned him, “Don’t get too comfortable.”
Potter, not as given to the wild and crazy rah-rah role as Pollard, was nevertheless gracious and funny as he read 15 reasons Vancouver is better than Portland. Some were serious: (great schools, summer concert series at Esther Short Park, farmers market, etc.). Most were reminiscent of a Hollywood roast: (Vancouver is so safebecause so many Portland police officers live here).
Still, despite the feel-good aspect to Monday’s event and Potter’s good intentions, we must point out some things he forgot:
  • We are a half-hour closer to big-league league baseball than most Portland residents.
  • We’re closer to Portland International Airport than most Portland residents.
  • Lewis and Clark camped on this side of the River both coming (1805) and going (1806) while they shunned the Oregon side.
  • Many of our downtown retail-area parking meters give 20 minutes free.
  • We have the Cinetopia theater.
  • You can afford a condominium here without selling a kidney.
  • We get to pump our own gas.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:27 AM

* We are a half-hour closer to big-league league baseball than most Portland residents.

Even more reason why that bridge shouldn't be built (A HALF AN HOUR for a city that is within 5 miles from most of Portland?)

* We’re closer to Portland International Airport than most Portland residents.

Hope you like the noise...beeatch!

* Lewis and Clark camped on this side of the River both coming (1805) and going (1806) while they shunned the Oregon side.

shunned, okay...keep telling yourselves that. They did set up winter camp in Oregon.

* Many of our downtown retail-area parking meters give 20 minutes free.

Makes sense, Portland has better/more attractions to keep people downtown MUCH longer than 20 minutes. Many people in 'couver don't need more than 20 to take care of their business down there.

* We have the Cinetopia theater.

So will Beaverton soon, impressive!

and we have the Living Rooms theaters as well as a shitload of McMenamins.

* You can afford a condominium here without selling a kidney.

no, not really, unless they are talking about the dumpy suburban types outside of downtown.

* We get to pump our own gas.

And when I go out for the evening I don't have to stink myself up filling my tank. I can also go out pretty much anytime to pretty much anywhere on a bus or Max.

All IMHO of course

P.S. Why is the title Portland defeated by? Can we change the title to "Potter is a lazy old man" or "Potter hates military families"...kidding of course you Potter lovers out there.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:41 AM
Puyo!

Quote:
P.S. Why is the title Portland defeated by?
Because both of the mayors are doing the bet, and Couve Mayor won. That is what the point of this thread is.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:48 AM

kidding Puyo...Potter is an embarrassment and these kinda articles shows why.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:24 AM
Bears of antiquity

Sam Adams! Sam Adams! He wouldn't let Portland lose to, well, the losers.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 6:07 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

let's hope this doesn't turn into a city vs. thread.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 7:51 AM

City vs. town threads are ok though so it shouldn't be a problem.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 7:54 PM

Sam Adams vs who? Looks like Sho hammered the final nail in his coffin this week.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 12:13 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Sam Adams vs who? Looks like Sho hammered the final nail in his coffin this week.
Fo' Sho'.

See what I did there?

Sho has an awesome name, but Sam Adams shares a name with a beer. Adams! Adams! Adams!

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Fo' Sho'.

See what I did there?

Sho has an awesome name, but Sam Adams shares a name with a beer. Adams! Adams! Adams!
Exactly, and in a city like portland it only seems right that the candidate with the beer name should lead the city

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 7:18 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman View Post
Exactly, and in a city like portland it only seems right that the candidate with the beer name should lead the city
Anytime I see Sam and his man downtown, I cross my fingers hoping they'll come out of Peterson's with a case of Sam Adams.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion