HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
I met a banker from South Dakota a few years back that didn't know there was a North Dakota.....
It’s not that I don’t believe you but... how!?!?

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

A pet peeve of mine is the meme about such and such a town or city having four, five, seven or whatever "men for each woman" or "women for each man".

That's basically impossible in any normally functioning community unless it's a heavily industrial work camp or maybe a cloistered town whose only building is a convent.

Some places may have quite a few more men than women, or vice versa, but the figures are never going to be that out of sync.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Checking into a hotel in Vancouver I showed my Nova Scotia Drivers License as ID but that wasn’t good enough…..she wanted my Passport. I said I don’t usually travel with it in Canada. “But how did you get into the country without it?” “Nova Scotia is in Canada” “Oh”
This happened to me multiple times in Vancouver before I switched over to a BC license.

"Sorry, we need Canadian ID..."

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A pet peeve of mine is the meme about such and such a town or city having four, five, seven or whatever "men for each woman" or "women for each man".

That's basically impossible in any normally functioning community unless it's a heavily industrial work camp or maybe a cloistered town whose only building is a convent.

Some places may have quite a few more men than women, or vice versa, but the figures are never going to be that out of sync.
After WW2, the USSR had a gender ratio of 75 men to 100 women and that was one of the most skewed gender ratios to ever exist in a country. Even in today's times, many of the post-Soviet states have badly skewed gender ratios (though not as bad) with Russia currently at about 88 men per 100 women; the primary cause is the huge discrepancy in life expectancy. Russian women on average live about 11 years longer than Russian men, as a result of the high rate of alcohol-related deaths among Russian men.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 8:44 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This happened to me multiple times in Vancouver before I switched over to a BC license.

"Sorry, we need Canadian ID..."
This is literally unbelievable. How can you possibly be so ignorant. We learn the provinces in elementary school. You'd think you hear about it on the news or whatever from time to time. Just, how.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
This is literally unbelievable. How can you possibly be so ignorant. We learn the provinces in elementary school. You'd think you hear about it on the news or whatever from time to time. Just, how.
Well lots of people in Canada may not have been born/educated here.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 8:54 PM
I am the law!

It's still pretty ignorant and I recognize Nova Scotia is a long way from Vancouver. You work in a hotel.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I sometimes run into the same issue in Toronto when mentioning New Brunswick. Many folks who didn't grow up in Canada (i.e., half the GTA) have never heard of it or think it's in the US.

Among those who were born in Canada, many think New Brunswick is an island and/or confuse it with Newfoundland.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It's still pretty ignorant and I recognize Nova Scotia is a long way from Vancouver. You work in a hotel.
I don't think it's a big deal but it is kind of sad.

What is arguably worse is when I recount this story to people in Vancouver many of them say that is to be expected because this is a Big World City and people here don't need to know about such lesser places.

I suppose you truly hit world status when you find yourself in a tiny box and you have no idea where you are.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:38 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I thought about this, but I assumed if this was the case then it would've come up in the story.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I've gotten "Welcome to Canada!" before. I've been asked if we had electricity. A cabbie once remarked I must be excited to be on a four-lane road. I've been hysterically laughed at for being a lying loser for saying St. John's is larger than Moncton.

At times it felt like the majority of mainlanders outside the Maritimes had no idea New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador are two separate provinces, and always assumed they're some combination of one being a town in the other. There's an even more ignorant subset who really only have the vaguest idea of Atlantic Canada in general and think Newfoundland is the capital of Nova Scotia, or "The island of Newfoundland is called Prince Edward Island, right?"

I've been both laughed at and apologized to when getting a beer because there was no Screech. I've had people correct my pronunciation. That one was jaw-dropping at first. I doubt they do it to the English, Irish and others but maybe they do? I don't know. I literally did not know how to react. It never occurred to me people could be that rude.

People can get through the Canadian education system and still be mindnumbingly ignorant.

And it goes the other way too. When I told family/friends I was moving to Winnipeg, I got probably a half dozen separate warnings about how conservative and religious it is, and the ankle-length skirts the women wear (for stealing, of course), and how I would have to go back in the closet, and please be safe and careful, etc.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I've gotten "Welcome to Canada!" before. I've been asked if we had electricity. A cabbie once remarked I must be excited to be on a four-lane road. I've been hysterically laughed at for being a lying loser for saying St. John's is larger than Moncton.

At times it felt like the majority of mainlanders outside the Maritimes had no idea New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador are two separate provinces, and always assumed they're some combination of one being a town in the other. There's an even more ignorant subset who really only have the vaguest idea of Atlantic Canada in general and think Newfoundland is the capital of Nova Scotia, or "The island of Newfoundland is called Prince Edward Island, right?"

I've been both laughed at and apologized to when getting a beer because there was no Screech. I've had people correct my pronunciation. That one was jaw-dropping at first. I doubt they do it to the English, Irish and others but maybe they do? I don't know. I literally did not know how to react. It never occurred to me people could be that rude.

People can get through the Canadian education system and still be mindnumbingly ignorant.

And it goes the other way too. When I told family/friends I was moving to Winnipeg, I got probably a half dozen separate warnings about how conservative and religious it is, and the ankle-length skirts the women wear (for stealing, of course), and how I would have to go back in the closet, and please be safe and careful, etc.
Sigh. You know, I can see it. For all of the places I've been, I have a hard time getting interested in reading about a place before I've been there - it comes alive thereafter. Again, I think it would be a really different story if Canadians travelled more in Canada. My goal is to make it to every province and territory. Like a lot of Canadians, I've spent a lot more time travelling outside of the country. I went to Halifax and region last summer and had a blast. Next target destination is St. John's...plan to do a lot of eating on that trip! Raymonds, Mallard Cottage...yum.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 3:48 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Newfoundland has electricity? I thought Quebec sucked it all away and left you guys bone dry.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 10:02 AM

I was on VIA's 'Canadian' a few years ago and as we pulled into the Edmonton Station after dark....there was a great view from the Dome Car of the office towers downtown all lit up. A woman.....obviously from the US with her accent.....commented that she was surprised they had cities this far north up by Alaska!

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 1:23 PM

When I first moved to Halifax back in 91, being from the prairies I didn't appreciate how close everything was. One day my wife and I decided to go to sale at Dorchester NB and when I looked at the map my mind put the scale at the same level as a map of Manitoba and we decided it would a be a 4 hr one way trip. Suffice to say we had lots of time to explore the area, and it was very embarrassing for a person who's career involves correct navigation!

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Newfoundland has electricity? I thought Quebec sucked it all away and left you guys bone dry.

Gently murdered.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 1:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
When I first moved to Halifax back in 91, being from the prairies I didn't appreciate how close everything was. One day my wife and I decided to go to sale at Dorchester NB and when I looked at the map my mind put the scale at the same level as a map of Manitoba and we decided it would a be a 4 hr one way trip. Suffice to say we had lots of time to explore the area, and it was very embarrassing for a person who's career involves correct navigation!
It would still have been a 2.5 hour drive from Halifax to Dorchester NB but point taken.

A friend of one of my sons now lives in Montreal. He is an immigrant to the country. A couple of his relatives from France came to visit his family in Montreal a couple of years ago. One day during their visit they thought it would be fun to go on a road trip to see the country. They thought they could stop off in Toronto for lunch and then carry on to Vancouver for supper.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 2:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Very funny, lio... err Molson.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 2:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It would still have been a 2.5 hour drive from Halifax to Dorchester NB but point taken.

A friend of one of my sons now lives in Montreal. He is an immigrant to the country. A couple of his relatives from France came to visit his family in Montreal a couple of years ago. One day during their visit they thought it would be fun to go on a road trip to see the country. They thought they could stop off in Toronto for lunch and then carry on to Vancouver for supper.
"In America, 100 years is a long time. In Europe, 100 miles is a long way."

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 6:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I thought this was pretty good......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada