HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 6:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I thought this was pretty good......

I see that no sentence has been given for Belgium. Which is actually a great way to irritate them - by pretending they don't even exist!

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 6:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

one can easily piss off the northern half of Belgium by just asking a question, any question at all, in French.

I think you can piss off any Slavic country by claiming that some other Slavic invented Pierogies, Pirogi, pirohy, pyrohy, varenyky, or whatnot (e.g., Saying to Ukrainians that Pierogies are a Polish food, or vice versa, etc.).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:15 PM
arf

^Polish pyroghies are better than Ukranian ones.

*ducks*

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
one can easily piss off the northern half of Belgium by just asking a question, any question at all, in French.
Back when I was a student in Lille, I ensured that I would speak English every time I went to Belgium across the border (Kortijk/Courtrai is considered a Belgian suburb of Lille). It was an advice given to me by pretty much everyone in Lille, especially if I am travelling by myself. I believe the "don't speak French" rule applied from east and Mouscron and onward. I've never been to Mouscron but given the name and immediate proximity to Lille I assume that people speak French. If it is obvious you are visiting Belgium, they don't seem to mind responding in French though.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Polish pyroghies are better than Ukranian ones.

*ducks*
Yup they are. Just saying.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 8:55 PM

Edmonton is in northern Alberta.

It is actually in the southern half of the province.

It is roughly 700 km from the NWT border and 500 km from the Montana border.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I see that no sentence has been given for Belgium. Which is actually a great way to irritate them - by pretending they don't even exist!
I was going to say, any unilingual sentence will do - in French or Dutch, whichever is the wrong one for your target.

But I see MolsonEx beat me to it

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Edmonton is in northern Alberta.

It is actually in the southern half of the province.

It is roughly 700 km from the NWT border and 500 km from the Montana border.
Timmins is in Northern Ontario.

It is actually in the southern half of the province! (Just compare it to Fort Severn First Nation on Hudson Bay and Point Pelee in Southwestern ON)

I think the only incorporated towns clearly in the Northern half of the province are Red Lake, Pickle Lake and Moosonee. Sioux Lookout and Hwy 11 towns (such as Greenstone, Hearst) may be near the halfway mark but I'm not sure which side they are on.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 9:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Back when I was a student in Lille, I ensured that I would speak English every time I went to Belgium across the border (Kortijk/Courtrai is considered a Belgian suburb of Lille). It was an advice given to me by pretty much everyone in Lille, especially if I am travelling by myself. I believe the "don't speak French" rule applied from east and Mouscron and onward. I've never been to Mouscron but given the name and immediate proximity to Lille I assume that people speak French. If it is obvious you are visiting Belgium, they don't seem to mind responding in French though.
indeed. I was also visiting Belgium from Lille (And years later, when stationed in Holland).

Did you go to IESEG per chance?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
It would still have been a 2.5 hour drive from Halifax to Dorchester NB but point taken.

A friend of one of my sons now lives in Montreal. He is an immigrant to the country. A couple of his relatives from France came to visit his family in Montreal a couple of years ago. One day during their visit they thought it would be fun to go on a road trip to see the country. They thought they could stop off in Toronto for lunch and then carry on to Vancouver for supper.
Back in the 70's and 80's when the German army was annually refighting the Battle of Kursk at Shilo MB we'd often hear about the soldiers thinking they could go drive to Vancouver for the weekend. Maybe that's why they misjudged getting to Moscow before winter?

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 12:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Maybe that's why they misjudged getting to Moscow before winter?

What was Napoleon's excuse then???

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:

I think you can piss off any Slavic country by claiming that some other Slavic invented Pierogies, Pirogi, pirohy, pyrohy, varenyky, or whatnot (e.g., Saying to Ukrainians that Pierogies are a Polish food, or vice versa, etc.).
You can piss off any post-communist country by mistaking them for Russians / overestimating similarity with Russians. Its most offensive in the Balkans but the Poles and Czechs get pretty offended too.

The Eastern Europe thing takes the cake for the Czechs though. They take it as seriously as we take trying to distance ourselves from the fact that we're basically American.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:30 AM

Quote:

What was Napoleon's excuse then???
Well you know, its the French! Cran, élan, et la Baïonnette!

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 2:16 PM
恭喜发财!

The one that's been bothering me lately is the widely written (in western media, anyway) 'fact' that Chongqing is China's largest city.

Sure, it's China's largest province-level municipality by population (Chongqing > Shanghai > Beijing > Tianjin) but it's also by far the largest by area (at ~80,000 square kilometres it's roughly the same size as Ireland). The actual urban population of the city of Chongqing is considerably smaller than that of both Beijing and Shanghai.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 9:56 AM

I was watching NBC News last evening and correspondent Stephanie Gosk…reporting on the heat wave in the US made the comment that Burlington Vermont reached 90 deg and only 50 miles from the Canadian Border!

Wow!.....Imagine That!..... How could it possibly get that warm in Burlington so close to the Canada! And looking at the weather map NBC presented…..those soaring temps just stopped at the Canadian Border. Guess we’re just a big arctic wasteland above!

I’m in Fredericton, New Brunswick today…. also 50 miles from the Border. Today’s high is 32 with a humidex of 41 (also 90 deg with a ‘feel like’ temp of 105)

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:34 AM

^^ I wonder what NBCs shock & dismay would be to know that Canada's hottest weather temp ever recorded was 115F (45C) in Saskatchewan.

Weather & climate perception by Americans & Canadians each in their own respective countries can be off the mark by a huge degree (pun intended). A lot of North Americans would be caught off guard without a hoodie/jacket in Summer in San Francisco thinking that, because it's California, it would be warm in Summer. But because of increase in heat & therefore low pressure in Nevada during Summer, cool Pacific air is forced to funnel through Golden gate keeping city cool & often shrouded in fog.

In Canada, most Canadians would think Edmonton since farther north than Calgary, Edmonton on average would be cooler in Summer but isn't. I think most Canadians forget too that Calgary is at altitude (~1km elevation) & therefore can have variable weather year round (warm January, cool June)

In Saskatchewan, even though Saskatoon is farther north, Saskatoon has a warmer average yearly temp than Regina.

Fun fact, the term 'humidex' is a Canadian term rarely, if ever, used anywhere else in the world. I imagine it was first coined by people in eastern half of Canada to help gratify themselves on how 'hot' their less-than 40 degree temperatures can 'feel'

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
I was watching NBC News last evening and correspondent Stephanie Gosk…reporting on the heat wave in the US made the comment that Burlington Vermont reached 90 deg and only 50 miles from the Canadian Border!

Wow!.....Imagine That!..... How could it possibly get that warm in Burlington so close to the Canada! And looking at the weather map NBC presented…..those soaring temps just stopped at the Canadian Border. Guess we’re just a big arctic wasteland above!

I’m in Fredericton, New Brunswick today…. also 50 miles from the Border. Today’s high is 32 with a humidex of 41 (also 90 deg with a ‘feel like’ temp of 105)
Actually they're even more wrong than even you think: in southeastern Quebec the temperature averages are slightly lower as you go south and into the U.S. as altitude increases and trumps the impact of decreasing latitude. My lands in northern NH are on average less hot than downtown Sherbrooke by maybe a degree. Makes no real difference on the hardiness of what I grow in both places, but it's noticeable on occasion in early and late winter when the same precipitation falls as snow there, rain here.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 5:07 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Misonception: That Winnipeg is categorically a Western City, when in fact it is closer (1518 kilometres) to Toronto than to Vancouver (1871 kilometres)
Yes but why are you stopping at Toronto? Toronto's not really an eastern city either. You should be going to St. John's. Moreover, how is Winnipeg not a western city? That's like saying that despite all of our population in Canada being concentrated in the south, we're all living in the north. Sure, if you're starting at the equator.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 11:03 AM

Everyone at work was convinced that Niagara Falls is southwest of Toronto.

When in fact, it's a little south east of Toronto. When we were driving down Woodbine I pointed out the silouette of the Hilton hotel and observation tower etc, and they didnt believe me until I showed them on Google maps.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 3:58 PM
The New Republic

Torontonians seem convinced that Halifax is a lot further north but it's not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada