HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 3:05 AM

That's awesome Chuck. I've been following your aerials for years and they never cease to amaze me. That shot is great because it shows the viewing area of the falls that I have been salivating over since it was announced.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 11:19 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
you're welcome chuck... And i hope you don't mind. I think your aerial photography is amazing and is a huge contribution to this forum. I am always eager to see your images shared here
+1

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 12:00 AM

Thanks for the compliment and no, I don't mind reposting. Red Cloud Aerials is also very good, https://flic.kr/ps/32pMPU, although more mapping oriented than me. He has a PPL too, and I don't. No idea how he shoots and flies at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
You're welcome Chuck... and I hope you don't mind. I think your aerial photography is amazing and is a huge contribution to this forum. I am always eager to see your images shared here

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 12:20 AM

OOOH, viewing area. Never knew it was there.

From the Archives. All different angles and scales, naturally.

Left Feb 2008, middle June 2017, right Sept 2017. Viewing area will be fun in winter.

ring damn viewing area
by Chuck Clark, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
That's awesome Chuck. I've been following your aerials for years and they never cease to amaze me. That shot is great because it shows the viewing area of the falls that I have been salivating over since it was announced.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 2:41 PM

In all the renderings, the building on the left still has the roof open. I wonder what the plans are for it.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:42 PM

Photo from the Energy Ottawa website. They've made a lot of progress over the past few months.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 8:37 PM

This seems to be as far as they're going to get before the light show starts in a few days.

Last edited by kevinbottawa; Oct 4, 2017 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 12:58 AM

Got a glimpse of the new park by the Falls.
It's actually shaping up to be much more interesting than that on the renders two posts above. Thank god!
And they already brought the chairs

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 9:48 PM

Hydro-Electric Plant expansion time-lapse video.

Video Link

http://obj.ca/article/chaudiere-fall...t-time-century

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 9:50 PM

Chaudière Falls opened to the public for first time in a century

Newly-expanded Energy Ottawa hydroelectric facility produces clean, renewable power
Nov 6, 2017 9:39am EST

For the first time in more than 100 years, the public will have access to Chaudière Falls thanks to an expansion of Energy Ottawa’s Chaudière Falls hydroelectric facility.

Energy Ottawa, an affiliate of Hydro Ottawa, is Ontario’s largest municipally owned producer of green power with a total generation capacity of 128 megawatts and powers 107,000 homes. The plant, which has been operating since July, produces enough green energy to power 20,000 homes.

The area, previously closed to the public, has long been a hub of industrial activities in Ottawa. The new site is designed to promote open access, celebrate the site’s past and future, and provide views to the historical Chaudière Falls for everyone; including a defined corridor on the roof of the new hydroelectric facility as well as a new bridge across the intake canal.

Prior to the renovation, Energy Ottawa consulted various organizations including the National Capital Commission, various Indigenous groups as well as members of the public. The message they heard was clear: Give residents and visitors access to the falls.

“I prefer to look at it as we’re opening it to the public, because it really hasn’t been opened up to the public before,” says Franz Kropp, Energy Ottawa’s Director of Generation.

He adds the main goal of the expansion was to highlight and showcase both the falls and the history of the area.

“Because there is a lot of history here, you can’t do it justice without actually seeing the whole site,” Mr. Kropp says. Ultimately, he believes the new public access will increase understanding of Energy Ottawa’s operations as well as the industrial and Indigenous history at the site.

The Chaudière Falls hydroelectric facility is a run-of-the river plant, which means it harnesses the power of the Ottawa River without large scale flooding. Run-of-the river hydroelectric facilities continue to be one of the most efficient and eco-friendly means of generating electricity.

“Given that it’s a clean, renewable energy, we reduce greenhouse gas emissions by providing that green power into the grid,” says Mr. Kropp. The Chaudière Falls facility offsets greenhouse gas emissions by 115,000 metric tons of CO2 every year.

Built entirely underground, the project was designed to minimize the impact on the visual, natural and aquatic environments at the site. In its commitment to preserving the area’s natural beauty and ecosystems, Energy Ottawa incorporated several measures to assist in the preservation of two endangered species of fish in the area.

The organization built a spawning bed for sturgeon down river of the plant and installed a bypass system so that fish can avoid the hydroelectric facility and the dam as they navigate the Ottawa River.

Energy Ottawa also had a fish ladder designed and installed for the American eel, so that juvenile eels can migrate upstream to spawn.

http://obj.ca/article/chaudiere-fall...t-time-century

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 2:31 PM

I checked out the light show last Friday. The falls are very impressive. I saw some previous photos of the show and it looked like there was barely a trickle of water. The falls were rushing last Friday.

Overall I really like the public spaces overlooking the falls. It was cool to have followed the construction so closely and then to have walked the area and see it firsthand (but I thought there would've been more of a First Nations theme). Good on Hydro Ottawa for creating this space though.

I noticed that next to the Hydro Ottawa project they've already started to demolish some of the buildings to make way for Kanaal (Zibi). I'm looking forward to seeing how the two projects fit together.

(I covered three threads in my one comment but it's hard to not talk about them as one project )

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 6:55 PM

Is the lookout platform open?

Hey All,

I was biking past the Chaudiere yesterday and saw a sign that said 'Welcome' and as I zoomed by risking my life and limb in the traffic over the bridge, I glanced down the 'driveway' where the entrance to Miwate was, and saw some cars, and it looked pretty open.

Is this open to the public now? If not, when is the lookout going to be permanently open?

Thanks for the info!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 11:45 PM
Busy Beaver

No, it's not open yet. Windmill is actively demolishing the bulk of the non-heritage designated industrial buildings adjacent to the site so it's a big mess.

I was on a private visit at the dam last month and everything seemed ready to go for the lookout. I think the park gets signed over to the NCC in the end to manage and maintain, and they may be reluctant to take possession with all the liability issues regarding access. Eventually, the bridge behind the War Museum will be the main route to get to the falls, and it seems like they've only done half of it (nice benches but it's still fenced in). I have a suspicion it will still be a while before full public access is granted.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
No, it's not open yet. Windmill is actively demolishing the bulk of the non-heritage designated industrial buildings adjacent to the site so it's a big mess.

I was on a private visit at the dam last month and everything seemed ready to go for the lookout. I think the park gets signed over to the NCC in the end to manage and maintain, and they may be reluctant to take possession with all the liability issues regarding access. Eventually, the bridge behind the War Museum will be the main route to get to the falls, and it seems like they've only done half of it (nice benches but it's still fenced in). I have a suspicion it will still be a while before full public access is granted.
Do you know when construction resumes? There's still another piece of concrete walkway and a few more lookouts that need to be completed.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 1:27 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Do you know when construction resumes? There's still another piece of concrete walkway and a few more lookouts that need to be completed.
I don't really know, and it depends on which construction you are referring to. Energy Ottawa (the part of Hydro Ottawa that is concerned with generating power) is virtually finished with this part of the dam. They've purchased the Quebec side of dam and will probably start renovating that end next.

There are a few players in these islands, not sure how Windmill is proceeding with their plans. I think they hold the key to the access through Albert island and the western tip of Chaudière island. Hopefully they'll do enough of a preliminary clean up to make the link safe for the public to open it sooner than later.

If you don't already have it, here's Energy Ottawa"s site on the area:
http://energyottawa.com/generation/c...lls-expansion/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 3:52 AM

What's going on with the substation on Slater? It's all fenced off since last week.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:56 PM
Busy Beaver

Looks like the dam is part of Doors Open Ottawa. Went by there a few days ago and access was still restricted.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 3:13 AM

I biked into Chaudière Falls park today and it looks almost ready.
Security guy who was kicking me out said they will open it for public next weekend.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:55 AM

Got a close look at those two buildings on the dam. Doesn't seem like much has changed in the last 2 years...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 10:45 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Public welcomed to upgraded Chaudière Falls generating station

Staff Reporter, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: September 28, 2019

For the first time in 100 years, Hydro Ottawa welcomed the public Saturday to view its brand-new generating station at Chaudière Falls as part of the weekend-long Green Energy Open Doors event.

The utility boasts that the expanded Chaudière Falls generating station will have “minimal to zero impact on the visual, natural and aquatic environments.”

The state-of-the-art facility also includes a number of heritage elements celebrating Canada’s First Nations and Ottawa’s industrialist past.

Hydro Ottawa has installed several measures at the site to help two endangered fish species: the American eel and the lake sturgeon.

The utility has improved eel spawning grounds above the falls and built two “tubes” to enable the fish to bypass the dam turbines. The tubes will be monitored with underwater cameras.

They have also built new spawning territories for the sturgeon below the falls.

Visitors will be able to get close to the falls on a viewing platform located near two existing heritage buildings. The design also includes several other outlooks for better observing the falls and the Ottawa River.

The utility spent more than $150 million over the past since 2015 to build a new 29-megawatt hydroelectric generating facility at the site.

It features a number of viewing platforms atop the generating station and a new bridge for pedestrians and cyclists across the intake channel.

Chaudière was once known as the “second Niagara” and was a major tourist attraction in lumber-town Ottawa.

The new generating station will produce enough electricity to power 20,000 homes for a year. Early estimates were that the production could reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 115,000 tonnes a year.

The Green Energy Open Doors event offers a number of site visits Sunday.

Visit http://www.ottawagedo.org/gedo-host-locations.html for more details.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...rating-station

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy