HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
It’s that the renderings poorly convey the actual product, but still tell a similar story.
lol

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
lol
Well everyone got RAMSA’ed in the 1 Bennett park thread by those renderings. No LOLs over there.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Couldn’t happen here since the design review scope is limited

But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen elsewhere.

I do recall a case in Sioux Falls I think where the owners promised a certain house design that required landmarks review. They did a bait and switch after permit and the neighbors sued and demanded they tear down the house. The city agreed and the homeowners who had just completed construction sued the city. Went to court and the judge ultimately sided with the city and neighbors forced them to tear down the house. There was nothing problematic from a code perspective, but an aesthetic issue that was apparently too difficult to resolve.

In the case of this building, I don’t see anything blatantly dishonest, it’s just a slight variation in the glass screen. It’s that the renderings poorly convey the actual product, but still tell a similar story. Garage is clad in glass with louvers at the corners.
We will see what the finished product looks like, but from what I am seeing now, the variance is much more than cladding.

But what I was envisioning was something that was more of a public and government resource than an actionable tool. Pull up a site, enter an address or developer name and then see a comparison and analysis between what has been promised and what has been delivered. That could be helpful when that developer comes back with the next proposal and anyone can refer to a site and question how well that developer actually delivers what they promise.

Last edited by VKChaz; Jul 24, 2018 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
But what I was envisioning was something that was more of a public and government resource than an actionable tool. Pull up a site, enter an address or developer name and then see a comparison and analysis between what has been promised and what has been delivered.
I believe there is (was?) a travel website called Oyster that would encourage its users to take pictures that mimic or copy the same angle as hotels' marketing imagery to show what their properties were REALLY like. Something like that could be useful to judge developers' (a) commitment to their original designs, (b) trustworthiness or (c) ability to create projects that appropriately fit with the market and consumers' tastes.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:38 PM

I think some of you are getting a little wrapped up in what is ultimately a marketing vehicle, not a technical drawing. Just because a there hasn't been new renderings formally released doesn't mean they haven't been created or nobody in the city knows about the change.

The image on Bozzutto definitely shows the offset panel treatment on the base. I would guess there are technical documents filed with the city that show the same.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:47 PM
Development Shill

So the base really is just shit? Alright, well at least those guys who were holding out hope can accept it now

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 11:55 PM
1st Ward

I honestly thought looking at that rendering that those offset panels on the garage were just narrow, darker panes of glass. That would have been quite an upgrade over the design in actuality.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 2:33 PM

Let's wait and see what the completed garage looks like. Not nearly as nice as the building but it might end up being ok.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 3:06 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Let's wait and see what the completed garage looks like. Not nearly as nice as the building but it might end up being ok.
I can guarantee you it will look even worse than what the sliver of the parking garage in the rendering shows. Hold out if you must, but it's a dud

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 3:15 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
The program later changed for the tower’s base, focusing only on parking uses. A parking base is a rather blank box, therefore visual interest was created with different colors and types of glass, and the form was crafted to make the parking base feel a bit like a separate structure while the elliptical shape of the tower continues all the way down to the ground.
From Fitzgerald

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 3:40 PM

I drove by it yesterday and think it complete's Halsted nicely. The base is on the same scale as the older low rise stuff around it. Having the tower on the West side of the property is a non-starter from that perspective. The sidewalk level is what's going to be really nice, it's got retail set back under pilotis which have nice wide spacing. It's obviously very "new" feeling, but from a street interaction perspective it's above average, garage be damned. If demand for parking ever dries up they can just convert the podium to apartments on this one since the ramps are buried up against the freeway in the tower portion.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 9:50 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
"The program later changed for the tower’s base, focusing only on parking uses."

Does that mean all the retail facing Halsted has been axed from this project?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 12:19 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
"The program later changed for the tower’s base, focusing only on parking uses."

Does that mean all the retail facing Halsted has been axed from this project?
I think they are referring to the fact there were going to be amenities and big ball room/convention area for the hotel that is next door to use. I remember that getting cut out before they even put a shovel in the dirt

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 12:41 AM
1st Ward

^ Gotcha. So the minimal retail space at Halsted & Madison is probably still a part of the plans, thankfully.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 5:21 PM

From Fitzgeralds website:

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 11:24 PM

July 26

July 27

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:27 AM

Today

Meeting the street... sorta.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 12:21 AM
1st Ward

Tower looks great... until your eye goes down to street level. Ugh. I know the exposed garage has yet to be clad, but that afterthought of a facade won't help any.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 12:44 AM

Biggest letdown of the cycle for me. It's not a bad building, but I had such high hopes for it, and now it's just kind of okay overall. Still good for the West Loop in the long run, but man... what could have been!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 12:52 AM
1st Ward

^ All they needed to do was use the same windows as the tower. A blank and boring but well dressed garage facade facing the street would be better than what we are getting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive