HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 9:12 PM

The Village Center is under construction now and is slated to open in July. So far I think that they've got Zions Bank, Subway, some kind of gym, a coffee shop, a sports bar and a restaurant leased. They are still looking for a grocer. University Healthcare and eBay will start construction on their buildings soon as well.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
But look at all of the connections in those European cities. they may not have a true grid and are certainly curvilinear, but they can easily move around. Most European cities developed around the need to be protected, so they are very circular. Even the LA photo shows a lot of connections. Could you imagine getting around in LA without all of those connections?
Like cololi, I don't have a problem with European cities not having a square grid because the blocks are short and DEFINITELY are walkable. I lived there for several years, so I can attest to that.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 10:42 PM

I'll third that... I lived in London and it is one of the most walkable places on Earth. In fact most people there do commute via mass transit and on foot.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 10:07 PM
The World Is Welcome Here

I don't see what the problem is with daybreak

If I can't afford to live in downtown SLC then Daybreak will be my second choice and I won't even feel bad about it. I think it's a great development and not your typical 'burb.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Uhhh... HELLO!! These are paintings of things that may or may not ever be built.
Yeah, it's just anoher crazy suburban development. I hope people with your mind set stay out and leave me to my messy, unconnected, sprawling parking lot. Seriously, is there even ONE thing you like about it? No matter what we do out here in the suburbs, people like you will never be satisfied. We will always by that untouchable wasteland out west to you guys. Hey, I'm not complaining. If that's how you feel, then stay out. Btw, the market is still on the way. All three commercial villeges are still planned. I'm sorry if this comes as a shock to one who would love to see this project fail. The pics might not look exactly like they are rendered when all is said and done, but the zonning concept will be very similar. Have you been out here lately? Half of it is either done, or under construction. You can see it turning out. When I walked through it, the thing that got me was how much better it looked in person than in the renderings. Come on, don't be shy. Good development can happen outside of SLC. I invite you to check it out! If you dare....it is in suburbia. I promise its not as scary as it looks. We don't bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Like cololi, I don't have a problem with European cities not having a square grid because the blocks are short and DEFINITELY are walkable. I lived there for several years, so I can attest to that.
It's not like I've never been to Europe. The point I was trying to make was that, despite the "crazy" tangled streets, they are walkable. You guys were saying Daybreak isn't walkable because of its "crazy" streets. I was showing you how your assesment was incorrect. I'm not hating on Europe or anything. As far as connections go, just look at that map. One thing you can't see on the map is all the pedestrian trails There is an intricate network of pedestrian trails going around and over the lake, then there are pedestrian connections and trails in all the green space. That map is the traffic grid. I think 215 being pissed about the traffic grid shows that it isn't auto-centric. It sacrificed auto convenience for much more pedestrian convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
I'll third that... I lived in London and it is one of the most walkable places on Earth. In fact most people there do commute via mass transit and on foot.
This will not only be possible when TRAX comes in, but extremely easy to do. Like I said, you can walk anywhere in the development in about a half hour - bike it in much less. Then you can hop on TRAX to go to another part of town. I'm not saying it's like a European city as far as street life, culture, etc are concerned. I'm just saying it will be very accessible without need of a car - which is leaps and bounds ahead of most contemporary suburban developments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
I don't see what the problem is with daybreak

If I can't afford to live in downtown SLC then Daybreak will be my second choice and I won't even feel bad about it. I think it's a great development and not your typical 'burb.
What's bad about it is that, to some people, no matter what a developer does, if they build their development outside of central Salt Lake, then it is automatically "sprawl", "crazy", "auto-centric", etc, etc - even if/when it's not. Some people bitch about the suburbs not being sustainible, then when a development comes along that does everything within its physical power to be as sustainible as possible, they refuse to give it any credit. If you have noticed, everyone on here who supports Daybreak admits their are some flaws to it whereas those who oppose it don't say one thing that's good about it - just how bad it is. To them, there will never be anything good about suburban development no matter what techniques that development incorporates. I know Daybreak isn't the absolute, perfect, utopian development, but what is? Daybreak has made exceeding strides to be as sustainible as it can be. There are some problems, but those shouldn't out-shine what a significant break from traditional suburban paradigm Daybreak has gone through.

I think one thing we can learn from CCC and Daybreak is that the very best quality, sustainible developments come when the developer doesn't have financial constraints. I am glad that Rio Tinto and Kenecott Land are spending the extra money to make Daybreak as green and sustainible as possible. Likewise, the LDS Church is investing the same quality and sustainibility into CCC despite the extra money. One thing cities can learn from is to not let cheapo developers develop in their cities. No development is better than bad development.

Last edited by Urban_logic; Apr 4, 2009 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 10:03 AM

Colored concrete for TRAX airport line OK'd

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

SLC Council » But the $10M design nearly wipes out budget.

Salt Lake City's North Temple TRAX train will glide up the gateway through decorative, colored concrete -- an expensive design decision capital leaders say will pay off by erasing one west-side stigma.

By unanimous vote, the City Council on Tuesday agreed to embed the rail line to the airport rather than lay it atop a bed of gravel.

"It's going to be a major change," Councilman Van Turner predicted of the so-called Grand Boulevard. "We'll have many things that other parts of town have."

But the choice comes at a cost. It will eat up most of the $10 million TRAX budget, meaning the city must raise additional millions for its beautification wish list for North Temple. Those transformative items include adding 10-foot-wide multi-use sidewalks, burying the electrical power lines, erecting canopies with solar panels at TRAX stations, enhancing intersections for pedestrian access and installing park strips for a forest of shade trees.

"We still have a long road to go," Councilman Carlton Christensen said.

Besides the flush, concrete track -- it will run from 600 West to 2200 West -- the $10 million will pay for minimizing disruption to small businesses and public art.

Clapping after the vote, resident Maria Garciaz said the design, which west-siders overwhelmingly preferred, should help engage businesses in the area. And she pledged to hold fundraisers for the pedestrian-friendly amenities.

"It's exciting," Garciaz said. "It's important not just for the west side of Salt Lake, but everywhere."

Engineers needed a track decision now in order to begin the two-year project. They also will rebuild the bridge spanning the Jordan River out of a separate road fund.

To complete the Grand Boulevard vision, the city will seek financial help through the Redevelopment Agency, federal stimulus, and a special-assessment area to tap North Temple businesses. "We want to do it right," Councilman Luke Garrott said, "and we need the neighborhood to step up."

Council members initially balked at the high cost to color and "stamp" the concrete, but agreed they didn't want a repeat of the bland 400 South TRAX corridor.

"It's not aesthetically pleasing," Garrott added.

City officials entertained the idea of adding grass, similar to transit lines in Europe, but bagged the plan after hearing about the extremely high maintenance cost in Utah's climate.

Salt Lake leaders OK embedded tracks for airport line

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...racks-OKd.html

..."We're excited they want to do it the right way," said Fairpark resident Maria Garciaz.

The city still plans to turn North Temple into a "grand" entrance to the city. The council plans to use road funds to repair the Jordan River Bridge and seek out other revenue sources for burying power lines, adding solar panels to station platforms and installing 10-foot-wide paths for cyclists and pedestrians.

"We really want to shoot the moon here," Councilman Luke Garrott said. "We're committed to spending money beyond the $10 million we have because we want to do it right."...

Last edited by delts145; Apr 8, 2009 at 11:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar
It's not like I've never been to Europe. The point I was trying to make was that, despite the "crazy" tangled streets, they are walkable. You guys were saying Daybreak isn't walkable because of its "crazy" streets. I was showing you how your assesment was incorrect. I'm not hating on Europe or anything. As far as connections go, just look at that map.
My problem with the crazy, curving streets had nothing to do with walking, but with driving. It's so easy to get lost in the suburbs (and I grew up in a suburb), and extremely frustrating when none of the streets go through. Developments need to be not only walkable, but driveable and connected.

Again, I don't have a problem with crazy streets in Europe because 90% of people there walk and use mass transit, and they have the excuse that their roads were developed a thousand years before the automobile.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Colored concrete for TRAX airport line OK'd
I'm so relieved that they're going to cement the North Temple TRAX line! It would have looked horrendous otherwise. But colored concrete- Is that necessary? And if so what color? I hope not Gateway yellow!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 11:44 PM

Here are some stamped concrete examples:

And here are colors it can come in. Unfortunately they do not have gateway yellow.

I am guessing they will go for a brown or red hue.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 12:22 AM
Exit 298

Red???

This ain't not University line. Why not blue? j/k

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 2:54 AM

A dark sort of sandstone color.. reddish brown would look pretty good, and appropriate. I'll be surprised if they don't go with some sort of predominantly gray tone, maybe a dark purple like some of the granite sidewalks downtown.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 7:00 AM
Exit 298

This is a good concession for me. I'd still rather see the line on a dedicated R.O.W. south of North Temple, but if they are going to run it down the street, I do like seeing the faux-stone base.

It would be cool if they made the concrete the same color as the line (say, green). That way I can know what line I'm riding by simply looking at the pavement.

My vote: DUSTY GREEN on London Cobble

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 1:34 PM

I think what you will end up seeing is stamped concrete to 2200 West with some color added to concrete at the stations. Any sort of red hue is out of the question, because it turns pink over time. I think the stamp pattern may change from station to station as well. The other thing that is going on is the station design. UTA is looking at other station designs for each of the new lines. Hopefully each line can have stations that reflect the culture of the areas they are in.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 5:55 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
It would be cool if they made the concrete the same color as the line (say, green). That way I can know what line I'm riding by simply looking at the pavement.

My vote: DUSTY GREEN on London Cobble
I don't think the Airport line has an official color yet. The green line is Mid-Jordan... but I agree with you, that would be a pretty cool idea.

If I had my way, we'd just refer to the lines as color instead of Sandy/Salt Lake, University, etc. It's just easier that way in my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:44 AM

I am SOOO Psyched that it's going to done THE RIGHT WAY; IN CONCRETE!

As for the color and pattern, I want the Olive Drab in Cut Stone Cobble

LET'S CELEBRATE!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 5:48 AM
Exit 298

Wow. DJs aren't cheap. What is that party costing you? lol

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 6:03 AM

I may have dipped a bit into our Trax fund

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 10:53 AM

TANGELD, here's something else to celebrate.

Utah firm to unveil electric-powered truck/SUV

Mileage » Provo company says vehicle could get 100 mpg.

By Paul Beebe
The Salt Lake Tribune

How does an auto innovator generate enthusiasm among environmentalists for a massive truck or SUV that drinks gasoline like a thirsty camel?

One way is to replace the eight-cylinder power plant with a powerful electric motor assisted by a fuel-sipping four-cylinder engine that makes electricity for the vehicle if its batteries run low.

Raser Technologies, the Provo-based geothermal power development company, will unveil such a vehicle at the Society of Automotive Engineers World Congress, which meets in Detroit later this month.

Raser won't say what the prototype vehicle is until the conference begins. The company's Web site shows it as a Hummer H3. But an artist's drawing suggests the vehicle may be a full-size pickup.

Whatever it is, Raser's claims for the vehicle are jaw-dropping. In its all-electric mode, the vehicle runs up to 40 miles before its three lithium-ion batteries must be recharged. If the truck or SUV goes farther than 40 miles, it makes its own electricity, allowing the vehicle to travel up to 400 miles. Top speed is 100 miles an hour.

A turbine powered by the four-cylinder engine makes the electricity to recharge the batteries while the vehicle is moving. With the engine operating, the vehicle is said to get more than 100 miles per gallon, while emitting few pollutants. To recharge the vehicle overnight, a power cord is simply plugged in.

"Our power train makes a pickup truck greener than a Prius," David

West, vice president of marketing at Raser, said Thursday. Raser isn't an obscure company with outsized ideas and few credentials. Last month, the company began transmitting electricity generated at its new geothermal plant in Millard County to the city of Anaheim in Southern California. It is also developing new geothermal projects in Nevada, New Mexico and Oregon.

It began developing hybrid electric vehicles in 2003, hoping the Army could be persuaded to install electric power trains in their Hummers. With the war in Iraq absorbing most of its budget, the Army lost interest, even though electric motors are more efficient than diesel or gasoline engines and can be as muscular.

Despite the setback, the experience wasn't a waste of time. West said Raser was able to advance its technology to a point that, two years later, the company formed a consortium of technology companies to develop hybrid electric vehicles further. Its partners included Pacific Gas and Electric Co., Southern California Edison, and Austin Energy in Texas. They focused on big vehicles because American consumers prefer pickups and SUVs, West said.

Last year, Pacific Gas and Electric said it would buy two hybrid SUVs from Raser. PG&E thinks the vehicles may solve a problem bedeviling most electric utilities. The company envisions a time when thousands of hybrid vehicles are being recharged overnight, soaking up energy when power plants have plenty of capacity that isn't being used.

"Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles are a practical solution to meet the challenges associated with climate change by reducing fuel costs, greenhouse gas emissions and our dependency on petroleum-based fuels," Andrew Tang, senior director of smart energy at PG&E, said at the time.

West said the Raser vehicle will undergo a series of field tests after the conference. Vehicles could be available in showrooms by 2011, if the technology pans out.

Hybrid electric vehicle technology may get a boost from President Barack Obama, who set aside $120 billion in his fiscal 2010 budget for federal subsidies to develop alternative energy sources. As a candidate, he vowed last year to spend $120 billion for federal subsidies to develop alternative energy sources to create 5 million new jobs.

Gasoline prices that reached above $4 a gallon are spurring at least one other Utah company to develop electric vehicles. Earlier this month, Salt Lake City-based Green Start Products Inc. said it plans to build a car it first developed in the 1990s. The company did not put the car into production because U.S. auto companies persuaded a federal appeals court to overturn electric car mandates enacted by the state of California.

West said Raser's technology could be the spark that revives the U.S auto industry.

"This could be a tremendous lead ahead both technically and financially. This could fuel an American vehicle comeback, in our mind. With the stimulus coming from the government, it could accelerate that process," West said.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 5:12 PM
Bring out the cranes...

That's awesome news about the "Colored concrete" on North Temple. That's gong to look bad a**.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 5:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
I lived in London for a while also! By having the opportunity to live in this large city with thousands of years of history (unmarked by the automobile) behind it, I could easily see how community infrastructure built around the pedestrian is far superior and more efficient than community infrastructure built around the automobile. People are empowered by infrastructure built around people (obvious); but some people don't seem to get this. Infrastructure built around the automobile is only good for those who have car or can afford one. However, they have to breath the same air as everyone else, so currently it's not even really good for them; and don't forget about road rage, which I think causes short term sociopathic behavior with real consequences. It can also put someone in a pissy mood, which isn't good for building community. Has anyone ever heard of light-rail, street-car, bus, bicycle, or trolley rage?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West