HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post

Took this picture with my camera phone. Looks like the fencing is going up around the parking lot adjacent to the Y...finally getting under way?
For some reason, I envisioned the SRC taking up the entire parking lot. It's too bad that the tiny lot is staying.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:50 AM
Skyriser

^ The remaining lot is a great location for a sliver building, or even some sort of 2 - 3 story smaller infill.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:19 AM

Y@ASU Groundbreaking

Friday, August 24th, 2012
Time - 8:30 a.m.
Location - Phoenix Civic Space Park - 425 N. Central

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 3:31 AM

YMCA and ASU Break Ground on Recreation Facility

Quote:
Student initiative took a whole new form today as the downtown Phoenix community celebrated the groundbreaking of “The Y at ASU.”

After years of pushing for a new campus recreation center, ASU students can finally expect the 64,000 square foot facility to be open by fall of 2013. The $25 million project will include an outdoor track, a weight room, a large gymnasium, and a rooftop pool designated for students only.

Arizona State President Michael Crow said this project allows the downtown Phoenix campus to “continue its evolution.”

“This project is a maturation of the university and of the downtown campus as it becomes a place to learn and a place to live,” Crow said. “It’s an indication of students making investments, as well as student engagement in the university.”

Because the project is student fee funded, Crow added that this building represents the responsibility students have taken to develop a more synergistic college environment for themselves in downtown Phoenix.

“We wanted this kind of living and learning environment on every campus, and adding a recreational building will help establish that for the Phoenix campus,” Crow said.

George Scobas, President and CEO of the Valley of the Sun YMCA, said the partnership between ASU and the YMCA has allowed a vision to turn into something real as the campus becomes an asset to the urban community.

“Over the past six years or so, there has been tremendous growth in this community,” Scobas added. “I think that in years to come, the [Lincoln Family Downtown] YMCA could be the center of the entire downtown campus.”

Scobas also said the culmination of Phoenix residents, the business community and ASU students makes the city unique and helps projects like this advance quickly due to a strong push from all community groups.

“This project rejuvenates downtown, and it’s great that we were all able to pull this together,” he said.

Deputy City Manager Rick Naimark said this project will do much more than just add another recreational building to the campus. He said it will “bring the student body together in a whole new way.”

“This is a continued effort to solidify, strengthen and add to the vibrancy of the downtown campus,” Naimark added. “It’s all without city money, which shows student initiative to improve their university and community.”

Kari Osep, a sophomore at ASU, said she appreciates the different vibe of the downtown campus compared to the Tempe campus, and she is excited to see how the new project will add to the personality of downtown.

“It’s really cool to see the impact ASU has had on this area, and a building like this was definitely missing from our campus,” Osep said.

Osep also said she is impressed with how downtown students are helping to unite the Phoenix community while improving the city and university.

“It’s good to see that students aren’t just here to go to school,” Osep added. “They are here motivating the community to expand and become something bigger and better.”
http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/20...tion-facility/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 4:45 AM

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 4:51 AM

Quote:
A $25 million recreation center expansion funded by student fees advances a collaboration with Arizona State University that has helped rejuvenate downtown, Mayor Greg Stanton said Friday.

"This friendship, this partnership between this great city and this university, is going to continue and go nowhere but up," Stanton said at a groundbreaking ceremony for the five-story building.

The facility will rise alongside the Lincoln Family Downtown YMCA, which has served as the recreation center for ASU's Downtown Phoenix Campus. At 62,700 square feet, it will feature a gymnasium, weight room, indoor track, student lounge, bike co-op and rooftop pool along with classroom space.

Certain features, including the classrooms and pool, will be limited to ASU students when the building opens in fall 2013. The new center will connect to the YMCA building on the first floor.

The expansion is funded entirely by a $75-per-semester fee that ASU's student government endorsed to improve recreational facilities on all campuses.

"Students are taking increasingly more ownership, wanting ASU to be improved," ASU President Michael Crow said.

Leah Novak, a master's student majoring in recreation and tourism, said having a pool in particular will make the recreation center more appealing.

"I think it is going to be awesome," she said.

Phoenix voters cleared the way for the downtown campus by approving a $223 million bond in 2006. With the College of Nursing & Health Innovation, College of Public Programs, Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication among the units offering courses, the campus had nearly 10,000 students during the 2011-12 school year.

Stanton has said he is committed to helping ASU's Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law move downtown. On Friday, Crow called the move "probable" and said a decision would come soon.

George Scobas, president and CEO of the Valley of the Sun YMCA, said the downtown campus has helped bring residents and businesses that have revitalized downtown.
AZC

Having the law school downtown would be a great boost to downtown. It would bring a few hundred more older students downtown along with a new building.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 5:04 AM

Rapid growth is fortifying ASU's stature downtown

Quote:
Arizona State University will enroll its largest number of students this fall at its downtown Phoenix campus. And while some area businesses are excited at the potential for new business, some residents say they would like to see more community engagement from those connected to the campus.

Nearly 10,000 students enrolled at ASU's downtown Phoenix campus this fall compared with 9,367 students last fall. The campus has grown each year since opening with 3,059 students in 2006.

Because enrollment numbers change daily with new students signing on and others withdrawing, campus officials said official enrollment numbers won't be available for weeks.

Chris Callahan, vice provost of the downtown campus, said he is amazed at how fast the campus has grown in such a short time.

"It's remarkable. I'm looking out my window at a campus that didn't exist six years ago," he said.

Downtown enrollment could have been larger if so many people weren't still impacted by the economy, said Patrick Panetta, associate director of ASU's real-estate development office.

"I think we were actually expecting a larger bump last year, but I think the economy put a damper on the enrollment a little bit. Folks chose not to go back to school and spend the money," he said. "I think with the economy recovering a little better, we're going to see sort of a return to the previous growth trajectory we've been on."

ASU plans to expand its downtown presence even more by bringing another college to the campus and increasing its relationship with the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, the downtown Phoenix campus that includes the University of Arizona College of Medicine and programs from Northern Arizona University.

Plans for growth

Enrollment at the youngest ASU campus already is higher than both the West Campus and the Polytechnic Campus.

The campus is home to the College of Nursing and Health Innovation; the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication; the College of Public Programs and the College of Health Solutions. The campus also has programs from the School of Letters and Sciences, Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College, Barrett, the Honors College, University College and Graduate College.

ASU is converting the U.S. Post Office at 522 N. Central Ave. into a student union. Phoenix purchased the building and leases it to the university. The post office will still operate in the building, but in a much smaller space, Panetta said. It will be open in time for the spring semester.

"We don't really have (a student union). It gives students sort of a central home. Student organizations will be headquartered there," Panetta said.

ASU is expanding the downtown Phoenix YMCA as well. The project will add 75,000 square feet to the existing YMCA. The renovation will be completed before the fall 2013 semester. Both students and community members will share the newly renovated spaces, but some areas, such as classroom space, will be reserved for ASU students.

"Both facilities will be essentially treated as one, so (students and YMCA members) have access to both buildings. There are only a couple of exclusive areas in the new building," Panetta said.

University officials hope to bring the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law to Phoenix from the Tempe campus in the next several years.

"I don't believe there's a specific timetable for it other than it's a high priority for President (Michael) Crow -- having a world-class law school in the middle of a major metropolitan area," Callahan said.

Impact on business

Many downtown Phoenix businesses had hoped to see significant bumps in customers with the infusion of students, but some have fared better than others.

"The food and things have done really well. Some of the direct services are doing well. The apartments are doing very well, but not every business has seen the same level of increase in business as a result of ASU," said David Roderique, president and CEO of Downtown Phoenix Partnership. "There are some service providers like dentists or doctors that may not have seen that same level of pickup that fast-food restaurants have seen."

The partnership is a tax-funded non-profit comprising business members with offices downtown.

Roderique said the campus' financial impact in the area goes beyond the students.

"In addition to the student population, the piece that's often overlooked is that you have a significant amount of faculty and staff down there as well," he said.

Some downtown businesses have struggled to partner with the university, particularly with the Sun Card, a university-issued student-identification card often used to make off-campus purchases.

"It's not widely accepted around local businesses, and one of the reasons is that there are a lot of fees that are placed on the Sun Card," Roderique said. "I don't know if they are working on trying to resolve that or not, but we've brought that to their attention."

Community engagement

In its infant stages, the downtown Phoenix campus boasted that students would serve the community and build relationships with residents. Callahan said campus officials are still working on ways to get students off the campus to volunteer with schools and community organizations and take advantage of the arts and cultural opportunities that a major downtown has to offer.

"What we've been focusing on a lot is how we can even better connect our students with the downtown Phoenix community," he said.

But some community members think ASU officials need to work harder. Steve Weiss is a founding member of the Downtown Voices Coalition, a community group focused on growth and development in downtown Phoenix. Weiss said ASU's commitment to reach out to the community has wavered over the years.

"During and right after the (2006) bond election, the attitude of the campus changed from community engagement and outreach to 'if you want to come to us, we're here,'" said Weiss, an ASU alumnus. "We're having a hard time trying to figure out how to get our students out of the gated community that is ASU downtown."

Weiss acknowledges some local business owners have benefited from ASU's downtown presence.

"I don't want to present it as completely negative, because there are some people that have benefited from their ability to outreach to the campus, but it's not the reverse," he said.

Callahan said most of the people are pleased with ASU's engagement.

"I would like to think that it has added to the richness of it. That's certainly the feedback I get when I talk to people in the community -- that ASU students being part of the fabric of the community," he said.
Quote:
ASU Downtown Phoenix Campus enrollment

2006: 3,059.

2007: 3,113.

2008: 4,451.

2009: 6,655.

2010: 7,783.

2011: 9,367.

Source: ASU Office of Institutional Analysis.
AZC

Old Posted Sep 4, 2012, 1:52 PM

Players reminisce on 60-year-old YMCA basketball court before it's remodeled

Quote:
If the Lincoln Family Downtown YMCA basketball court could talk, it would ask for one more day of games.

In between the pickup matchups it's so used to hosting, the 60-year-old court would use whatever breath it had left to tell stories of competition, diversity, passion and friendship.

The players who knew the court best told the stories for it on its last day of games on Monday.

"I'm old school, so I'm kind of sad to see it go," said Douglas Towne, 53.

The court, which served as host to numerous pickup, league, intramural and youth games since 1952, was closed today as renovations began. Funded by the Phoenix Thunderbirds, a brand new court will be installed along with new baskets, hoops and scoreboards by October.

"This floor has a lot of historical value," said Greg Corns, senior executive director of the Downtown YMCA.

The YMCA's recent partnership with Arizona State University inspired the renovation project. A recreation-center expansion, which will feature amenities for both ASU students and YMCA members, will rise in 2013 alongside the original YMCA building.

Monday's final pickup games displayed the original basketball court's ability to bring together players of all ages, backgrounds and talent levels.

Dennis Rowland, a member of the court's "old guard," has played games at the YMCA against lawyers, doctors, politicians and former athletes since 1988.

Rowland knew firsthand that the players who showed up on a regular basis were the ones who got the most out of the games.

"Friendships here have lasted longer than some of our games," Rowland said.

Millard Connor, known as "M.C.," used to skip his lunch break three days a week to leave work early and get to the court before the first game's teams were selected.

The court was a place of diversity as much as it was a place where Connor, 57, learned not to judge a book by its cover because that book could have a wicked jump shot.

According to Rowland and Connor, it was even common to spot NBA players, such as former Phoenix Suns Dan Majerle, Amar'e Stoudemire, Rudy White, Steve Colter and B.B. Fontenet, playing and practicing on the court.

The court's only breach of the players' trust is its "dead spots." Because the court was built on a sand base, the sand's displacement over time created spots along the court where a basketball dribble dies.

Even that was overcome by the players, who knew exactly where the spots were and avoid them.

One of the great matchups the basketball court hosted over the years was between employees of the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality and Arizona Public Service Co., said Towne, an ADEQ employee.

"When we were younger, it was all about winning," Towne said. "Our litmus test for winning has changed. Now, it's 'Yes, I got off the court in one piece.' "

Travis Turner, 25, played on the court during his time as an ASU student. His desire to stay healthy while having fun and improving his basketball game has him still making the trip downtown after work during the three years since he graduated.

"It's pretty devastating to me," Turner said. "It's more than just a gym to me."

The YMCA plans to make coasters and frames out of the hardwood floor when it is cut up.

Proceeds from sales of the floor memorabilia will go to its Strong Kids and Families campaign, which provides scholarships to those who can't afford memberships.

"When it reopens, I'll be one of the first back on the court," Turner said.
AZC

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Arizona State University enrolled its largest number of students this fall at its downtown Phoenix campus. And although some area businesses are excited at the potential for new business, some residents say they would like to see more community engagement from those connected to the campus.

Nearly 10,000 students enrolled at ASU's downtown Phoenix campus this fall compared with 9,367 students last fall. The campus has grown each year since opening with 3,059 students in 2006.

Because enrollment numbers change daily with new students signing on and others withdrawing, campus officials said official enrollment numbers won't be available for weeks.

Chris Callahan, vice provost of the downtown campus, said he is amazed at how fast the campus has grown in such a short time.

"It's remarkable," he said. "I'm looking out my window at a campus that didn't exist six years ago."

Downtown enrollment could have been larger if so many people weren't still affected by the economy, said Patrick Panetta, associate director of ASU's Real Estate Development Office.

" We were actually expecting a larger bump last year, but I think the economy put a damper on the enrollment a little bit. Folks chose not to go back to school and spend the money," he said. "I think with the economy recovering a little better, we're going to see sort of a return to the previous growth trajectory we've been on."

ASU plans to expand its downtown presence more by bringing another college to the campus and increasing its relationship with the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, the downtown Phoenix campus that includes the University of Arizona College of Medicine and programs from Northern Arizona University.

Enrollment at the youngest ASU campus already is higher than both the West and Polytechnic campuses.

ASU is converting the U.S. post office at 522 N. Central Ave. into a student union. Phoenix purchased the building and leases it to the university.

ASU is expanding the downtown Phoenix YMCA, as well. The project will add 75,000 square feet to the existing YMCA. The renovation will be completed before the fall 2013 semester.

Arizona State University enrolled its largest number of students this fall at its downtown Phoenix campus. And although some area businesses are excited at the potential for new business, some residents say they would like to see more community engagement from those connected to the campus.

"It's remarkable," he said. "I'm looking out my window at a campus that didn't exist six years ago."

Downtown enrollment could have been larger if so many people weren't still affected by the economy, said Patrick Panetta, associate director of ASU's Real Estate Development Office.

" We were actually expecting a larger bump last year, but I think the economy put a damper on the enrollment a little bit. Folks chose not to go back to school and spend the money," he said. "I think with the economy recovering a little better, we're going to see sort of a return to the previous growth trajectory we've been on."

ASU plans to expand its downtown presence more by bringing another college to the campus and increasing its relationship with the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, the downtown Phoenix campus that includes the University of Arizona College of Medicine and programs from Northern Arizona University.

Enrollment at the youngest ASU campus already is higher than both the West and Polytechnic campuses.

ASU is converting the U.S. post office at 522 N. Central Ave. into a student union. Phoenix purchased the building and leases it to the university.

ASU is expanding the downtown Phoenix YMCA, as well. The project will add 75,000 square feet to the existing YMCA. The renovation will be completed before the fall 2013 semester.

Both students and community members will share the newly renovated spaces, but some areas, such as classroom space, will be reserved for ASU students.

"Both facilities will be essentially treated as one, so (students and YMCA members) have access to both buildings. There are only a couple of exclusive areas in the new building," Panetta said.

University officials hope to bring the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law to Phoenix from the Tempe campus in the next several years.

"I don't believe there's a specific timetable for it other than it's a high priority for President (Michael) Crow -- having a world-class law school in the middle of a major metropolitan area," Callahan said.

Many downtown Phoenix businesses had hoped to see significant bumps in customers with the infusion of students, but some have fared better than others.

"The food and things have done really well. Some of the direct services are doing well. The apartments are doing very well, but not every business has seen the same level of increase in business ," said David Roderique, president and CEO of Downtown Phoenix Partnership, a tax-funded non-profit . "There are some service providers like dentists or doctors that may not have seen that same level of pickup ."

Some downtown businesses have struggled to partner with the university, particularly with the Sun Card, a university-issued student-identification card often used to make off-campus purchases.

"It's not widely accepted around local businesses, and one of the reasons is that there are a lot of fees that are placed on the Sun Card," Roderique said. "We've brought that to their attention."

In its infant stages, the downtown campus boasted that students would serve the community and build relationships with residents.

Callahan said campus officials are still working on ways to get students off the campus to volunteer and take advantage of arts and cultural opportunities.

"What we've been focusing on a lot is how we can even better connect our students with the downtown Phoenix community," he said.

But some community members think ASU officials need to work harder. Steve Weiss, founding member of the Downtown Voices Coalition, said ASU's commitment to reach out to the community has wavered over the years.

"During and right after the (2006) bond election, the attitude of the campus changed from community engagement and outreach to 'If you want to come to us, we're here,'" said Weiss, an ASU alumnus. "We're having a hard time trying to figure out how to get our students out of the gated community that is ASU downtown."

Weiss acknowledged that some local business owners have benefited from ASU's downtown presence.

Callahan said most of the people are pleased with ASU's engagement.
AZC

I'm really hoping the law school comes downtown and they put it on the new parking lot by the Sheraton that ASU apparently owns. The last thing Phoenix needs is another parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 3:51 AM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 4:21 AM

Wow nice, looks like they are moving pretty quick...now if we can get something on the block directly south and the block north of the YMCA, hopefully with some variety, some retail, restaurants etc.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 4:43 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Wow nice, looks like they are moving pretty quick...now if we can get something on the block directly south and the block north of the YMCA, hopefully with some variety, some retail, restaurants etc.
The more I think about it, the more I think a Senior Center to the South of the Rec. Center would be great. It would make the whole area a multi generation center, there really aren't any Senior Centers in the Central PHX area. With the Westward Ho & the new Senior housing coming in Downtown, it seems like it would serve a need.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 4:53 AM

Any type of residential would be ideal (better than surface parking). It's right by the transit center, a park, the YMCA, and the university. Speaking of residential in that area, has anyone heard anything new about the announced mixed-use development at 1st ave and Roosevelt?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 6:28 AM

Yes, a nice residential development to the north would be a great addition; seems an obvious choice given the amenities- across from Civic Space and Central Station, next to the YMCA, easy access to ASU and employment centers, and smack in the middle of two entertainment clusters (the bars on Central and Fillmore and CityScape/Washington nightclubs).

Beyond that, though, dense residential so close to the park would really help keep that space occupied, leading to a less ratio of homeless people, more motivation to keep up in maintenance, and perhaps a need for more programming and events.

An 8-story structure above a Trader Joe's (picturing this exact kind of building in Capitol Hill, Seattle) would be fantastic and much more human-scale than the other monstrosities taking over the northwest, Alta and Roosevelt Point, both fine examples that the height of a building has little to do with fitting into an area. in other words, those low-rises are far less enaging from a pedestrian perspective than taller structures such as 44 Monroe.

Meanwhile, a 5-6 senior living project above a senior center is a fabulous proposal for that remaining YMCA. One fear I have of that area is that it will become far too ASU-centric and create a campus rather than allow more of an integration into the urban fabric. What better way to mix up the demographics than by getting some older folks right next door to the rec center?

Throw in a Jet-like project to the west, and we may finally have enough dnese residential to support some more practical retail, like furniture boutiques, hardware stores and so on. Any chance that project could come back from the dead? I'm surprised at how little we have gotten in the way of apartments given the demand in central Phoenix, as reported by several sources throughout he last year or so. Then gain, we had a hotel shortage for quite sometime, and have yet to get anything aside from the Palomar.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Yeah, I think it's excellent idea. They will working on it. If they build it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
AZC

I'm really hoping the law school comes downtown and they put it on the new parking lot by the Sheraton that ASU apparently owns. The last thing Phoenix needs is another parking lot.
Well the law school is the reason that specific lot was purchased. (If that is the lot that had a low rise ramada inn or something on it before, and still does on google maps).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 4:18 PM

ASU seeks regents funding for law school's move to Phoenix

5 comments by Anne Ryman - Sept. 26, 2012 11:07 PM
The Republic | azcentral.com

As Arizona State University considers moving its law school from Tempe to downtown Phoenix, ASU officials say that for the plan to be financially feasible they would have to significantly increase law-school enrollment, raise tuition, enhance quality and launch a series of master's-degree programs.

ASU President Michael Crow said officials are weighing whether a new, downtown Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law would make financial sense. Crow said the university will move forward only if officials have a "high confidence" the project will succeed. "Otherwise, we're not going to do it," Crow said Wednesday.

As ASU contemplates raising law-school enrollment, many schools are moving in the opposite direction, shrinking incoming classes as the economy has made it difficult for law-school graduates to get jobs and repay student loans.

As a planning step, ASU officials today will ask the Arizona Board of Regents to approve a three-year capital-improvement plan that includes $129 million toward construction of a 294,000-square-foot law school in downtown Phoenix. The complex would be built on a parking lot that formerly was the site of a Ramada Inn, at Taylor and First streets.

"This is essentially one step in a multistep review-and-approval process," said Lorenzo Martinez, the regents' associate vice president for finance and administration.

No timetable has been set, although the plan presented to regents outlines five proposed ASU projects for fiscal 2014, including the law school. Other projects include renovating Hayden Library, upgrading labs and other improvements.

Even if the regents OK the plan, university officials could decide to postpone or cancel the project. Once construction began on the law school, it would likely take 30 months to complete, said Rich Stanley, ASU senior vice president and university planner. The move would put the law school in the heart of the legal community, because federal and county courts and many big law firms are downtown.

"There are a lot of benefits to our students being nearer that action," Stanley said.

In documents being presented to regents, ASU said the goal is to increase law-school enrollment and degrees by 50 percent. The Tempe campus cannot accommodate that growth, the report says. The law school's current enrollment is between 650 and 700 students and its space on the Tempe campus is about 165,000 square feet.

Proposed plans for the school include classrooms, an auditorium, offices, a 230-space parking structure, a law library and retail space. ASU also wants to host more continuing-education programs for attorneys.

In an e-mail to The Arizona Republic, law-school Dean Douglas Sylvester said the college has "no current plans to grow our J.D. (Juris Doctor) class beyond its historical size and beyond the capacity of the college to continue to find productive employment for all of our graduates."

In recent years, ASU's law school has raised its national profile, climbing in annual college rankings such as U.S. News & World Report. A few years ago, the school was in the 55th spot among law schools nationwide. The most recent list ranks ASU 26th, which is 14 spots higher than the previous year. Among public law schools, ASU is ranked eighth in the annual survey.

ASU also is moving to make the law school financially self-sufficient so that it doesn't rely on state funding, a shift that has led to higher tuition. The idea is that state money previously spent on the law school will go to other university programs.

A handful of business and law schools at other public universities have already gone this route. The move has been controversial at ASU, with some students complaining about tuition costs rising each year.

Law-school tuition and fees run $26,267 annually for Arizona residents. Factor in room and board, books and other expenses and the annual cost rises to $47,655, according to ASU. Many students take out loans to help them pay for school, and student-loan debts have risen. The average student-loan debt upon graduation from ASU's law school is $103,436, according to the university.

The university's plan would be to use some of the tuition proceeds, along with private donations, to pay for construction of the new law school.

If ASU's law school moves downtown, it would be the latest in a growing list of academic programs that have relocated since the Phoenix campus opened in 2006. Nearly 10,000 students are enrolled in the downtown campus this fall, up from 3,000 the first year. Among the programs there are journalism and nursing.

The possible move by the law school has been talked about for nearly a decade. In 2003, an ASU committee planning the school's future recommended it. In 2007, then-Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon asked the university to relocate the law school to downtown Phoenix as one of several downtown-revitalization initiatives. In 2009, there was talk of going to Phoenix voters with a bond proposal to help fund construction of the law school. The proposal didn't move forward because of the continuing economic malaise. The economy also complicated ASU's plans to raise some of the money for construction through private donations or partnerships.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz27gh3puGz

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 2:03 AM

Construction Pictures

From the parking lot looking north:

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
The Y addition is going to be great, but is there any hope for the dirt lots to the West? Dirt/concrete lots like this kill Downtown due to their unmotivated landowners. Just wondering if there was hope for these ones being that they (like many others Downtown) are in such a potentially great location.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 1:46 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
The Y addition is going to be great, but is there any hope for the dirt lots to the West? Dirt/concrete lots like this kill Downtown due to their unmotivated landowners. Just wondering if there was hope for these ones being that they (like many others Downtown) are in such a potentially great location.
I seem to recall at least one of those lots over on 2nd Ave is an ASU parking lot. Not sure if they're just leasing it, or if they own it. If they own it, perhaps there's some glimmer of hope something will be built on it as they continue to expand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest