HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Gatineau Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 3:17 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

55-59 Carruthers Ave | 14 m | 5 fl | Proposed

The John Howard Society of Ottawa is proposing a five (5) storey mid-rise apartment building, approximately 14 metres in height, with 36 dwelling units and common amenity areas for a total gross floor area of approximately 2,317 m².

The 36 self-contained dwelling units range from 25.5m² to 34.4m² and include a kitchen, closet and bathroom with shower. The building is designed to be fully accessible, with five (5) accessible units. The ground floor provides residents with a range of common amenity spaces, including a lounge, a dining area and a common kitchen. In addition, the ground floor includes office spaces for staff. An elevator and staircase are provided to service the building from the basement floor through to the fifth floor. Additional amenity areas are provided on the basement level in the form of multi-purpose room and exercise room. Further, the rear of the building will include a large patio and landscaped area.

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__065SR5

Streetview:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.40849...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Elevations:

Site plan:

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 10:12 AM
Living With My Mother

I know Carruthers has a reputation as a rough part of town, but it is a beautiful street that could be so much more than it currently is.

EDIT: I'm a dick. I got it mixed up with Cummings.

Last edited by Norman Bates; May 26, 2016 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 4:12 PM

So this will be transitional housing for paroled offenders?

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:21 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
So this will be transitional housing for paroled offenders?
That was my guess too, but apparently not:

Quote:
Homeless housing complex raises questions in Mechanicsville
Residents say they weren't consulted on a new supportive housing apartment building that John Howard Society will build on Carruthers Avenue.

By: Emma Jackson, Metro
Published on Thu Mar 17 2016

Mechanicsville residents are looking for answers as the John Howard Society of Ottawa plans a five-storey supportive housing complex for Carruthers Avenue.

Last December, the charitable organization won $3.9 million in city funding to build the $9-million, 36-unit apartment complex for chronically homeless residents.

The announcement caught the community off guard, said Mechanicsville Community Association past president Blair Simser.

“They’d already bought the place and gotten funding from the government before they even came to us,” Simser said.

Executive director Don Wadel said that’s because the city's bid process is confidential.

He’s catching up now: Wadel’s hosting a joint meeting with Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper on April 11 to clear up any misconceptions.

Since John Howard is involved, residents have wrongly assumed the apartment is for convicts.

“They were in a shelter, not a jail,” Wadel said.

Still, Simser said some residents have concerns about “socio-economic problems” the development might bring.

The small neighbourhood already has “a heck of a lot” of social services. Ottawa Community Housing runs an emergency family shelter on Forward Avenue, for example, and the Youth Services Bureau has a 19-unit residential building nearby.

“It’s not an issue unless you have too much of it,” Simser said.

But Leiper bristled at the suggestion that community housing means trouble.

“I do take exception to classifying the residents in this building as somehow different,” Leiper said. “People are people, and people need to be housed.”

He acknowledged the city should have held a meeting sooner.

The building will have full-time staff present at all hours, Wadel said. He expects the building to open next summer.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/...nicsville.html

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:24 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Mechanicsville residents air concerns about supportive housing project
John Howard Society plans 36-unit building on Carruthers Street

By Melissa Murray
Ottawa West News, Apr 14, 2016

About 50 people attended a community information session about a new supportive housing development on Carruthers Street Monday night.

The building will be the new home for men and women who have been homeless for six months or more.

The development, proposed by the John Howard Society, a not-for-profit organization best known locally for building halfway houses, will be located at 55-59 Carruthers Ave. It will be a five-storey, 36-unit residential building.

Residents will have access to 24/7 supports, including employment programs, meal prep, literacy, support groups and more. Potential residents are identified through the emergency shelter system.

“I’ll be the first to recognize the John Howard Society and affordable housing raise a lot of fears and concerns,” said Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper to start the meeting.

Those fears included making Mechanicsville a ghetto, decreasing house values and attracting more drugs and crime to the area.

“It’s unfair the way this bombshell has been dropped on us,” said local resident Maureen McDonald.

Monday was the first community meeting about the development after the John Howard Society was named the successful applicant for a supportive housing project in December, fitting with the city’s 10-year housing and homelessness plan.

“How can you keep it from us? We live here,” McDonald said.

She added the neighbourhood already has a 20-unit emergency family shelter on Forward Avenue, and the Youth Services Bureau has a 19-unit residential building on Carruthers.

“How much more can you fit in these six blocks? I’ll tell you I’m very peeved off.”

Residents asked questions about who would be staying in the supportive housing building, and about risk to the neighbourhood and children. A short presentation outlined that the tenants will be men and women with a mix of needs. Some could struggle with mental health and addictions problems, acquired brain injuries or developmental delays.

“Telling us the tenants will have high and low needs doesn’t tell us anything,” said Alex Johnston, who lives on Burnside Avenue.

Don Wadel, executive director of the Ottawa John Howard Society, said there’s a misconception about who will live in the building.

“Most think of what we do as being related to the criminal justice system,” Wadel said, of the John Howard Society’s three halfway houses in Ottawa.

“These are people in the community already, not people coming out of prison,” he said.

A number of residents raised concerns about other neighbourhoods pulling their weight when it comes to providing social services and affordable housing.

Johnston also raised concerns about having a balance of housing for all socioeconomic backgrounds – especially the middle class – and not using all available land for low-income housing or high-end development.

“One of my frustrations is a lot of current development is high-end,” said Johnston.

“We are creating a doughnut here,” he said of options for the middle class.

Two residents of Gardener Street, in Vanier, where the John Howard Society has recently opened a supportive housing building, also attended the meeting.

“We went through the same thing that you are right now,” Sandra Chatterton said.

“We went through the fears that we would be robbed or raped … but let me cut to the chase and say these men are so much better than students,” she said to a room filled with laughter.

“These men are broken, shy and really nice,” Chatterton said, her voice cracking. “They’re my neighbours, and they haven’t even lived here a year.”

After the meeting, Bob Pierce said residents near the Vanier location were just as frustrated as those in Mechanicsville now, but added the tenants of the supportive housing building fit in the neighbourhood.

“They’re ours,” he said.

Demolition of the existing buildings on Carruthers Street is expected in the next couple of months. The site also requires soil remediation before any construction can begin. The John Howard Society will have to apply for a minor variance to allow for seven underground parking spaces.

The units inside will be self-contained and about 27 square metres in size, with a private bathroom and kitchen area.

This is one of eight proposals approved by city council in the last five years, including Shepherd’s of Good Home on Merivale, Cornerstone on Booth, and the John Howard Society on Summerville, Cambridge and Gardiner.

According to city documents, about 100,000 residents in Ottawa (or 40,000 households) live in poverty. Last year alone, 6,800 individuals stayed in emergency shelters.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...using-project/

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:24 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:36 PM

Interesting. I did not realize that JHS was involved in these areas.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 12:32 AM

I think this is great. We usually just built affordable and/or subsidized housing. This actually helps with the homeless problem. I could see why people might be concerned but the fact is this is needed, and that need is in the centre of the city.

A few more modest sized buildings spread out across the core where you already have rampant homelessness (Centertown, Sandy Hill, Vanier) would be great.

More consultation before hand would have been great, but Leiper seems to be catching up pretty well.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 7:31 PM

^ Agreed. Another great fact about this proposal is that it's a not near the existing centres of homelessness and addiction. This makes it easier for rehabilitation to happen because they're not surrounded by triggers.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
^ Agreed. Another great fact about this proposal is that it's a not near the existing centres of homelessness and addiction. This makes it easier for rehabilitation to happen because they're not surrounded by triggers.
Ya, that too.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:33 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa