HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Those international cuts were made a couple years ago, but international traffic overall kept growing through that period and keeps growing. DL made most of their cuts at ATL to more remote cities in the Midwest and West, putting them through DTW and SLC instead.
No Delta recently announce it's cutting it's Shanghai to Atlanta route again, and announce it European cuts of its summer schedule from Atlanta. I do believe Delta will start Atlanta to Nairobi Kenya, as Ray Lahood was recently there, they cancel to the route at the last minute in 2008 due to security concerns, but I heard it was for other reason, and not safety concerns.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 4:19 AM

Atlanta prepare for Airbus 380 flights

By Kelly Yamanouchi

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Two foreign airlines want to start flying the world's biggest airliner into Atlanta in the next year or so, assuming needed improvements are made to the airport, according to airport officials.

Enlarge photo

Eric Risberg, AP A Lufthansa Airlines A380, the world's largest passenger aircraft, is welcomed with a water spray from a fire truck after landing at San Francisco International Airport in San Francisco, Tuesday, May 10, 2011. The plane made its inaugural flight to San Francisco from Frankfurt.

Korean Air expects to use the Airbus A380 double-deck jumbo jet on flights to Hartsfield-Jackson International "sometime next year," airport general manager Louis Miller told members of the Atlanta City Council. Air France has said it's interested in using the gigantic jet on Atlanta flights "in the near future," according to the airport.

The City Council on Monday approved the airport's request to spend up to $750,000 on architectural and engineering design services for A380 improvements. The contractor is Aviation Infrastructure Solutions.

The airport said Korean Air will replace its current Boeing 747 service between Seoul and Atlanta with A380 service. A Korean Air spokeswoman has said the airline is considering a handful of U.S. cities including Atlanta for service with the A380.

The airport said both Korean Air and Air France have asked for the ability to operate the A380 when the new international terminal opens, scheduled for next spring.

Improvements for the A380 are expected to cost $30 million -- half for taxiway and runway widening, and half for improvements to two gates on Concourse E, Miller said.

The A380 can carry 400 to 525 passengers in typical configurations. Any airport that can handle a Boeing 747 already can handle the plane, Airbus says, but big airports are adjusting gate areas and widening runway and taxiway shoulders because the plane's engines sit so far out on the wings that they may kick up debris from the grass. Such debris can be sucked into aircraft engines or cause other damage.

The airport plans to fund the improvements out of passenger facility charges -- the $4.50 each passenger pays on top of the fare to fly out of Atlanta.

The A380, which debuted in 2007, already flies to several airports in the United States.

Separately on Monday, the council approved a contract for a makeover of Concourse D, with an additional 60,000 square feet, new escalators and elevators and expanded concessions. The joint venture Holder, Moody and Bryson will do the work, set for completion by spring 2014.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 11:49 PM

The two airlines already have passenger service to the airport.

Air France Cargo will operate the cargo flights; Air France-KLM Cargo and Martinair Cargo will provide sales and customer service.

Air France Cargo plans to have twice-weekly service, with an estimated annual economic impact of $8 million to $12 million on metro Atlanta and the Southeast, the mayor’s office said. Six jobs will be created.

Air France Cargo previously had service at the Airport from 1997 to 2009. The Boeing 747 freighter will fly direct from Paris to Atlanta.

Between 2010 and 2011, total international air cargo flights at Hartsfield-Jackson rose 40 percent.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:44 PM

The International Terminal is an amazing accomplishment for the airport and city. However it could have been better connected with a MARTA stop...maybe once the Aerotropolis project is complete nearby, this will fuel the demand for such service combined with the revitalization of that area. Hopefully some more Asian destinations can be routed through Atlanta once again...huge Asian Indian community is left unserved with a yearly direct flight!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 9:33 PM

A380 Korean Air coming to Atlanta

Korean Air plans to begin flying the A380 super jumbo jet between Atlanta and Seoul, the Atlanta airport's top executive said.

Louis Miller, general manager of Hartsfield-Jackson International, said the A380 service could start as soon as January 2013. It "will enhance Atlanta's reputation as a world-class city and gateway to the United States," Miller said.

The Atlanta airport is working on some $30 million in improvements to prepare for the A380, including modifications to two gates on Concourse E and widening of taxiways and a runway.

Korean Air's A380s have 407 seats, and it plans for in-flight cocktail lounges and duty-free shops inside the planes.

The A380 debuted in 2007 and already flies to some other U.S. airports. According to Airbus, any airport that can handle a Boeing 747 can handle the plane, but airports are adjusting gate areas and widening runway and taxiway shoulders because the A380's engines sit so far out on the wings that they may kick up debris from the grass. Such debris can be sucked into aircraft engines or cause other damage.

Hartsfield-Jackson is paying for the improvements with passenger facility charges -- the $4.50 each passenger pays on top of the fare to fly from Atlanta.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmocha413 View Post
The International Terminal is an amazing accomplishment for the airport and city. However it could have been better connected with a MARTA stop...maybe once the Aerotropolis project is complete nearby, this will fuel the demand for such service combined with the revitalization of that area. Hopefully some more Asian destinations can be routed through Atlanta once again...huge Asian Indian community is left unserved with a yearly direct flight!
I agree Delta look like it's focusing on Detroit for Asian route. Hopefully Atlanta can attract Singapore, Air India, and Air China for new nonstops. I honestly think Emirate will be the next new carrier. Delta CEO recently told Atlanta Business that he wants to focus on Latin America from Atlanta.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
I agree Delta look like it's focusing on Detroit for Asian route. Hopefully Atlanta can attract Singapore, Air India, and Air China for new nonstops. I honestly think Emirate will be the next new carrier. Delta CEO recently told Atlanta Business that he wants to focus on Latin America from Atlanta.
I sort of find it a pity that Detroit out of all hubs has been given the Asian routes...the airport is nice and basically thats it around that area. At least the A380 to Incheon will be coming next year concluding the taxiway, runway and gate improvements. Air India, we don't want them...you want Jet Airways. If Emirates starts flying in that would be spectacular!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 7:05 AM

Quote:
I sort of find it a pity that Detroit out of all hubs has been given the Asian routes...the airport is nice and basically thats it around that area. At least the A380 to Incheon will be coming next year concluding the taxiway, runway and gate improvements. Air India, we don't want them...you want Jet Airways. If Emirates starts flying in that would be spectacular!
Yeah I heard Emirates and Singapore service is second to none. I expect Atlanta to be Emirates next American city, since Dallas and Seattle was there last new US cities.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 2:17 PM

Quote:
I sort of find it a pity that Detroit out of all hubs has been given the Asian routes...the airport is nice and basically thats it around that area.
This is because of the polar routings. Detroit is about 500 miles closer to Asia and is better for connections because there is less backtracking for people living north of Atlanta.

As far as Emirates next US city, my money is on Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
This is because of the polar routings. Detroit is about 500 miles closer to Asia and is better for connections because there is less backtracking for people living north of Atlanta.

You are right, I didn't think of that off the bat! Etihad already serves Chicago, maybe they are dampening things for Emirates? Let's see!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:07 AM

Quote:
You are right, I didn't think of that off the bat! Etihad already serves Chicago, maybe they are dampening things for Emirates? Let's see!
True, Etihad is probably the reason they haven't already started service to Chicago. However, Pakistan Int. Airlines has just left ORD and American Airlines canceled their service to Delhi, so there has been much speculation that this has created an opening for Emirates.

If I remember correctly, Emirates is planning to announce another new US destination within the next month or two. They just started service to Seattle as well. Delta already serves Dubai from Atlanta which is another reason I'd say it's less likely than Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah I heard Emirates and Singapore service is second to none. I expect Atlanta to be Emirates next American city, since Dallas and Seattle was there last new US cities.
Right, EK has already served on those 2 new routes DXB-SEA/DFW. I believe the route has been done extremely very well. Also, DXB-SEA has already swap the aircraft from 77W to 77L aircraft. The loads wasn't good enough at all. Later on, if SEA route will able to improved. It will take a time.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:

Ok I can see your point about being 500 mile closer. However Atlanta have way more fortune 500 companies which Asian connections than Detroit.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 9:20 AM

Quote:
General question - why Detroit instead of Minneapolis or Cincinnati? The latter two metro areas seem to have stronger economies with better future prospects. Although Minneapolis maybe is not so good a domestic hub location and probably has worse weather cancellations. Cincinnati is south enough to be very close to Atlanta, but wouldn't it have much better O&D numbers than Detroit?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
General question - why Detroit instead of Minneapolis or Cincinnati? The latter two metro areas seem to have stronger economies with better future prospects. Although Minneapolis maybe is not so good a domestic hub location and probably has worse weather cancellations. Cincinnati is south enough to be very close to Atlanta, but wouldn't it have much better O&D numbers than Detroit?
The only reason I can see Delta choosing Detroit over those other cities is because of better airport terminal for O&D. I believe Detroit airport built a huge new terminal facility for Northwest airlines that Delta finds to be more beneficial over Minneapolis and Cincinnati terminal facilities.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 5:25 AM

Quote:
The only reason I can see Delta choosing Detroit over those other cities is because of better airport terminal for O&D. I believe Detroit airport built a huge new terminal facility for Northwest airlines that Delta finds to be more beneficial over Minneapolis and Cincinnati terminal facilities.
DTW serves a significantly larger market than either MSP or CVG, and one that has many ties to the global auto industry. There's a reason DTW can support non-stop flights to the likes of NGO.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 12:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Why is a better airport terminal for O&D important? I would have thought it would have been for transfer passengers, as they are the one's that hang around the airport the longest. In fact, I think that the fact that Detroit is a massive 6 runway airport with plenty of capacity and a nice terminal for connections, combined with the large population of the metropolitan area, is the primary reason that they chose it as their Asian hub over those smaller cities with more limited airfields and terminals. Also, Detroit makes sense for an Asian hub over Atlanta for obvious reasons. Very well located for connections all over the Eastern US, including major cities such as NY, Chicago, and DC. Atlanta would require a backtrack for many markets and it is more expensive I'm sure to operate longer flights from Atlanta to Asia.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Why is a better airport terminal for O&D important? I would have thought it would have been for transfer passengers, as they are the one's that hang around the airport the longest. In fact, I think that the fact that Detroit is a massive 6 runway airport with plenty of capacity and a nice terminal for connections, combined with the large population of the metropolitan area, is the primary reason that they chose it as their Asian hub over those smaller cities with more limited airfields and terminals. Also, Detroit makes sense for an Asian hub over Atlanta for obvious reasons. Very well located for connections all over the Eastern US, including major cities such as NY, Chicago, and DC. Atlanta would require a backtrack for many markets and it is more expensive I'm sure to operate longer flights from Atlanta to Asia.
Thanks your point make sense about the backtrack to Atlanta for Asian flights. However I can't agree with Detroit large population being a major reason for Delta using DTW over MSP for Asian hub connections. Is not Detroit metro population on the decline. Henceforth Atlanta is doing quite well with new Asia Cargo carriers, that served the airport. Delta CEO made it quite clear, that Latin America will be the focus for Atlanta.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks your point make sense about the backtrack to Atlanta for Asian flights. However I can't agree with Detroit large population being a major reason for Delta using DTW over MSP for Asian hub connections. Is not Detroit metro population on the decline. Henceforth Atlanta is doing quite well with new Asia Cargo carriers, that served the airport. Delta CEO made it quite clear, that Latin America will be the focus for Atlanta.
What does it matter? Although in decline, the population is still larger and the auto industry is based in Detroit which probably drives demand for Asian travel. Also, the hub facility is far better from a runway and terminal standpoint. Take a look at both airports from an aerial view and then tell me which makes a better hub, especially for people coming off long distance Asian flights and waiting around the airport for a connection. MSP's terminal looks suited for O/D more than international hubbing.

Last edited by aquablue; Mar 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 9:39 PM

Quote:
After reading your post it makes sense for Atlanta to become a larger Latin American Gateway. American has Miami as their Latin American Gateway and United's Houston hub is theirs. Atlanta's location will be strategic in competing against American and United on Latin American routes. I am hoping that a Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai flight do return to Hartsfield but I think these destinations if served again are going to be have to flown by foreign carriers? I'm thinking some more African destinations may also be in the works for Delta, just because I've noticed United starting to build up their African operations out of Houston.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation