HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 2:24 AM
Kodachrome

Here's some from the top of 500 Capitol Mall: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...41#post3906041

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 1:56 AM
Kodachrome

One hundred and eleven reasons to love our city.

SACRAMENTO | The Exposition http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=161447

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:07 PM
West bench livin'

If y'all haven't gone over and looked at Mike's newest exposition (see above) you're missing some of the best damn photos ever taken of our great town!!! What are you still reading me for??? GO! EnjoY!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 7:35 AM
Kodachrome

Sacramento Christmas Lights

Thanks Goldcnty

Here are some Sacramento Christmas lights.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 6:17 AM
Kodachrome

Last edited by innov8; Sep 14, 2009 at 5:37 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 6:24 AM

Nice shots!!!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 9:45 AM

beautiful..

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 11:39 PM
Hindrance to Development

10th & K Street, around 11:30 PM, 12/31/08

10th & K Street, a few minutes after midnight, 1/1/09

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 12:27 AM

Damn wtf look at all of those people. And there was that many people in old sac.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 2:23 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post

wow just think what Aura and the "Towers" would have done for the west end of CM..

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

10th & K Street, around 11:30 PM, 12/31/08

10th & K Street, a few minutes after midnight, 1/1/09
wow and the rite aid wasn't open since what 5pm? hahahaha

I am sure the cosmopolitan made some scratch that night!!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 10:19 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Police estimated between 12,000 and 20,000 people at the ball (cube) drop.

It would be nice if they could combine the fireworks and the ball drop. Maybe shoot the fireworks off over the Captiol so people could fill CM. Not sure where they could move the ball drop to on CM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 11:55 PM
Hindrance to Development

Combining both events might have been a bit much. And in some ways it's kind of cool that there were several big New Year's Eve events, rather than jus one.

Besides, as I recall the 10th & K event was put on by Paragary and some of the other nearby business owners (not a city event,) so putting it on Capitol Mall wouldn't have done much good for them if their intent was to show off the work being done at 10th and K. Admittedly, only a fraction of the folks who came out actually got inside of Social, Grange, Parlare etcetera, but even the folks walking by saw that it isn't all boarded up vacant buildings downtown.

Last edited by wburg; Jan 3, 2009 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 9:41 PM
Away since 06'

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Police estimated between 12,000 and 20,000 people at the ball (cube) drop.

It would be nice if they could combine the fireworks and the ball drop. Maybe shoot the fireworks off over the Captiol so people could fill CM. Not sure where they could move the ball drop to on CM.
I completely agree. I was with some friends watching the ball drop. Immediately after, we tried to make it over to oldsac for the fireworks but missed them by 20 minutes. I wish they would do it on Capital Mall with a larger ball drop and fireworks.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 8:33 AM

Is that really the same K Street I walked down last week? We should have New Years once a month!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 10:46 AM

There has been some critics of the 10th and K ball drop. The bee and some other folks are saying that there was not enough of a police presence at the event because the crowd was too rowdy. They may have a point about it being understaffed, but I'm not sure we should always look for police to be the answer. I think with only one stage to focus the large crowd's attention, the was just not enough for people to do before they turned to baser pursuits. How about having a couple smaller stages throughout the area? More street performers, fire dancers, video screens of ball drops from around the globe, whatever. Sacramento is hungry for good, world class public events. The city should make it a priority to do it right.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 5:53 PM
Hindrance to Development

Remember, this was not a city event, but a private one. It was kind of thrown together on very short notice, and yes, they very much underestimated the attendance, and thus the need for both security and multiple sources of entertainment for the crowd.

More activities, more stages, and more places to focus the crowd's attention would have been good. Video screens and other stuff going on would have been nice too. Those things, plus security, would have cost more money, and I suppose that the businesses who were paying for the event only wanted to fork over so much. They expected a crowd of 2000-3000, with a worst-case scenario of about 10,000.

People just assume that Sacramento is not a party town. Those people are wrong. The pervasive lie that we're a stodgy old cow-town still convinces people that nobody will show up to a street party. And when they do, and act as though it was a street party, there's an automatic reaction to "ghetto hoodlums" or whatever when basically it's just exactly the behavior one would expect at such an event. So it becomes no-win: either we're a quiet little cow town where nothing happens, or we're a hoodlum-infested riot in progress. The truth is, we're neither, and the New Year's Eve event was a success, but it was a qualified sort of success that we should learn from if we're going to make it a city tradition.

I was there, at least from a distance, and the crowd did not look particularly rowdy or violent, but then I wasn't in the middle of it. Basically, we were lucky it went as well as it did. It certainly wasn't a riot or a giant street brawl, after midnight the crowd slowly dispersed with no major incidents. Next year, it will need more security, some sort of crowd control measures, and yes, more stages and more entertainment so people aren't all gathering around one corner.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 6:22 PM

I was there and had a good time. It's the first year they did it (and at the last minute), and people were expecting it go to perfect. That's just not going to happen. I commend the business owners in the area for putting this on.

Hopefully they can keep this going next year, see what worked, didn't work, and make adjustments as needed and make it even better next year.

I agree with wburg and SactownTom, video screens and more stages would be good going forward. I only saw one band playing by the Cosmopolitan (though I didn't get too close to 10th Street to see if there were more), hopefully next year there will be more now that it seems like it will draw a big crowd.

We got there about 11:30 and couldn't get very close to where the performances were. There were so many people pushing and shoving their way around (to be expected). Since I had my kid with me, I didn't think it was the best idea to try and get any closer, so a screen would be a great to actually see the performances for people who aren't staying right there.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:37 PM

I got there around 11:00 and was in the middle of the crowd near the stage. It did get rough around that area. People were pushing and shoving and tempers were getting short. Of course, MOST people were polite and there just to have fun but there were times when I got nervous because there was no way to get out of it. I was getting shoved and pushed in all directions by more people trying to cram closer to the stage. People were jammed shoulder to shoulder (except for the girl sitting on the street below us getting sick :-). It could have turned into a dangerous situation.

When it was over, we couldn't get out for what seemed like a long time. The crowd couldn't move. We were trying to make our way back to the Citizen where we were staying but there was just one sidewalk to get there because everything else was blocked with the stage and equipment. Finally someone moved a barricade and the crowd rushed it. Security tried to stop them but couldn't. I saw a woman get pushed to the ground with that crowd but her friend helped her so she was ok.

Overall I thought it was a great idea and applaud the people and businesses that put it on. My suggestion would be better crowd control. Spread things out. Keep a couple of walkways open. No one really knew what to expect for this year. I still had a fun time though. I'm sure next year will run a little smoother.

I also loved the Citizen Hotel. They have really done a nice job with it. It's beautiful. One of the partners gave us a tour of the penthouse suites, event terrace, private dining areas, wine lockers, etc. I wish I'd had my camera with me to post some pictures. If you haven't been inside yet, stop by and at least check out the lobby, bar and restaurant.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 2:21 AM
Away since 06'

Ha, I just talked to one of my friends who is a club promoter for Social. Apparently he thought of the idea for free publicity. I guess that's why the ball didn't drop in front of the capitol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area