HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 9:23 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Can't say I disagree with you Vis. I wish Collegetown Crossing wasn't as big as it appears. All the huge apartment buildings along Dryden Road tend to dwarf the older buildings, seemingly making them insignificant. Guess it just makes me miss the "old" hood. But I don't find it totally unappealing (as you mentioned, the facade).

I didn't realize until you pointed it out (and I blew up the rendering some) that there's parking between the building and Clinton Street. I thought it was a drop-off/pick-up area. Sure would help the urban wall effect if it were closer to the street. But I'll still take it over the current view.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 3:57 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I stumbled across this while snooping around. It's a rendering of the new building under construction in Collegetown.

Multifamily - Apartment Building
309 Eddy Street, Ithaca, NY
Ithaca, NY

Project Rendering of West ElevationThis new 5 story + Basement Apartment Building will replace an existing wood framed house and complete a residential student neighborhood known as Collegetown Park. Large windows set in an elegant brick facade will offer expansive views of downtown Ithaca and Cayuga Lake.

Here's the link:

http://sharma-arch.com/content/view/on-the-board2.html

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 1:18 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Ithaca can always use another tavern. From the Ithaca Journal:

Ithaca Coffee Company opens second tavern

6:40 PM, Feb. 2, 2012

The Ithaca Coffee Company is opening its second tavern today at the Ithaca Coffee Company store in Triphammer Marketplace, 2255 N. Triphammer Road, near Route 13.

Ithaca Coffee Company's first tavern, known as Tavern on Green, is at the company's Gateway Commons store at 311 E. Green St. in downtown Ithaca.

"When we opened Tavern on Green at our Gateway commons store, we believed that the location, variety and outstanding service would turn it into a success. We have weekly beer tastings, our mug club, a growing loyal customer base and great plans for 2012," said Julie Crowley, Ithaca Coffee Company owner. "Opening up a new Tavern on Triphammer is very exciting. Since opening in 2004 the store has become an important part of the community. Expanding our business into a tavern is the natural next step for us."

The Ithaca Coffee Company has been locally roasting specialty coffee for more than 25 years, according to the company. It carries a large variety of New York-made and local products as well as many gourmet and artisan products not easily found in the area. Under the Ithaca Coffee Company brand are chocolates and candy, the Ithaca Coffee, and a line of specialty teas. Crowley and her father, Bob Crowley, also own and operate Triphammer Wines and Spirits in the Triphammer Marketplace, a family business for 71 years. The Crowley family has been doing business in Ithaca for over 85 years, going back to Crowley's restaurant, which opened in the 1920s.

Here's the link:

http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...xt|FRONTPAGElp

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 11:09 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Gotta say the housing is needed. From the Ithaca Journal:

Conifer Senior Living is a proposed 72-unit senior housing project on West Hill. The project will be in front of the Planning Board for preliminary approval Tuesday night. / GRAPHIC PROVIDED

West Hill senior housing project up for preliminary approvals

10:10 PM, Feb. 5, 2012
Written by
Rachel Stern

Ithaca -- A 72-unit senior housing project on West Hill will be in front of the Town of Ithaca Planning Board Tuesday night.

The Conifer Senior Housing Development is up for preliminary site plan approval and preliminary subdivision approval. If granted, the project would then go in front of the Town Board for rezoning consideration and then back to the Planning Board for final site plan approval.

The project, off West Hill Drive south of the Overlook Apartments, involves developing five acres of property for a three-story, 72-unit senior housing building. It would be on a new road off West Hill Drive. The project includes new sidewalks, storm water facilities, parking, a community garden, signs, lighting and landscaping.

The project would also involve rezoning 4.8 acres from a medium-density residential zone -- meant for single-family homes -- to a multiple-residence zone.

Back in September, when sketch plans were presented, the Planning Board requested that the project include a larger community garden, trees on some parking islands and a copy of a study demonstrating a need for senior housing in the area.

The Conifer project is one of two West Hill projects that are exempt from a year-long moratorium on new construction in a portion of West Hill. The area affected is a medium-density residential area between Trumansburg and Mecklenburg roads, east of EcoVillage and Hayts Road.

Town Supervisor Herb Engman said in July, when the moratorium was adopted, that Conifer would be exempt because senior housing is needed in the town.

Cornell University is the owner. The applicant is Conifer Realty LLC. John Caruso and Passero Associates is the agent. Cornell owns the 35-acre property across from the Museum of the Earth and Conifer is obtaining these five acres to build the senior housing development, Planning Director Sue Ritter said.

Here's the link:
http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...text|FRONTPAGE

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 11:03 PM
Missing the Gorges

The one thing that I'm a little surprised by is that this isn't contingent with the very similar senior apartment building they finished a few years ago ('08? '09? roundabouts). That property is located next to their primary set of Ithaca-area developments off Route 79. This proposed building is across from the medical center over a mile away. I would've thought that they would have grouped them together as a way to save money on redundancies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Gotta say the housing is needed. From the Ithaca Journal:

Conifer Senior Living is a proposed 72-unit senior housing project on West Hill. The project will be in front of the Planning Board for preliminary approval Tuesday night. / GRAPHIC PROVIDED

West Hill senior housing project up for preliminary approvals

10:10 PM, Feb. 5, 2012
Written by
Rachel Stern

Ithaca -- A 72-unit senior housing project on West Hill will be in front of the Town of Ithaca Planning Board Tuesday night.

The Conifer Senior Housing Development is up for preliminary site plan approval and preliminary subdivision approval. If granted, the project would then go in front of the Town Board for rezoning consideration and then back to the Planning Board for final site plan approval.

The project, off West Hill Drive south of the Overlook Apartments, involves developing five acres of property for a three-story, 72-unit senior housing building. It would be on a new road off West Hill Drive. The project includes new sidewalks, storm water facilities, parking, a community garden, signs, lighting and landscaping.

The project would also involve rezoning 4.8 acres from a medium-density residential zone -- meant for single-family homes -- to a multiple-residence zone.

Back in September, when sketch plans were presented, the Planning Board requested that the project include a larger community garden, trees on some parking islands and a copy of a study demonstrating a need for senior housing in the area.

The Conifer project is one of two West Hill projects that are exempt from a year-long moratorium on new construction in a portion of West Hill. The area affected is a medium-density residential area between Trumansburg and Mecklenburg roads, east of EcoVillage and Hayts Road.

Town Supervisor Herb Engman said in July, when the moratorium was adopted, that Conifer would be exempt because senior housing is needed in the town.

Cornell University is the owner. The applicant is Conifer Realty LLC. John Caruso and Passero Associates is the agent. Cornell owns the 35-acre property across from the Museum of the Earth and Conifer is obtaining these five acres to build the senior housing development, Planning Director Sue Ritter said.

Here's the link:
http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...text|FRONTPAGE

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 11:17 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Maybe the owner (Cornell) is looking to use these two projects as bookends for developing all the space along that part of the Rt 96 corridor. Kind of a West Hill campus for the older folks.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 11:49 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Kind of an interesting way to fill an empty space downtown. From YNN TV news.

http://ithaca-cortland.ynn.com/conte...mall-business/

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Ithaca's new mayor to be featured this wednesday on Rock Center with Brian Williams:

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/

Last edited by Ex-Ithacan; Feb 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:08 PM
Old Fart Forumer

A proposed project for Collegetown could have some trouble getting a parking variance (from YNN):

http://ithaca-cortland.ynn.com/conte...etown-project/

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:42 PM
Missing the Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
A proposed project for Collegetown could have some trouble getting a parking variance (from YNN):

http://ithaca-cortland.ynn.com/conte...etown-project/
Well,the concern over parking isn't entirely without merit. There are any number of over-entitled Cornell students (and I say this from experience) who think that they can park their car a couple blocks away and not have to pay extra for parking (i.e. have their cake and eat it too). The key to making the project acceptable to locals is a plan that will address this concern. Bus passes/car share included in rent, and adequate fines for the rule-breakers.

That being said, I like the idea of the project and what it brings to the table. Still not too keen on the brick fortress architecture, especially since this looks like a revised design and I can't tell if the front still has a partially glass facade. But it's a promising idea, and offers hope that C'Town won't become a sea of buildings with parking garages at street level.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:47 PM
Missing the Gorges

On another note, from the Lansing Star:

http://www.lansingstar.com/news-page...ment-explosion

500 units planned over the next several years. Not too shabby, most of it is in clustered units, so the sprawl is more limited (though not completely).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 10:50 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Yeah Vis. Lansing will grow like crazy once the sewer gets put in. Another plus is that the town can control the areas of growth with the sewer. Kind of planned development nodes, which the county is pushing. And commuting from Lansing to downtown will be a lot easier than trying to get through the West end.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 3:00 AM
Old Fart Forumer

A bit of an update on Collegetown Crossing (from the Ithaca Journal):

The proposed design for the Collegetown Crossing building at 307 College Avenue, just downhill from Ithaca Fire Stattion Number Nine. / PROVIDED

Collegetown Crossing could house Greenstar branch, seeks variance
Parking spots would be severely limited

5:40 PM, Feb. 29, 2012
Written by
Liz Lawyer

thaca -- Supporters of a proposed redevelopment project in Collegetown want parking requirements for the site on College Avenue waived, but members of the city's Planning Board are not sure of the benefits of a variance.

Developer Josh Lower is proposing a six-story mixed-use building at 307 College Ave., with 50 apartments including 103 beds. The ground floor would support 5,500 square feet of retail space, in which Lower wants to establish a branch of the local food cooperative Greenstar. The building would also have a bus stop built into its facade.

Students, Collegetown residents and other members of the public filled the Common Council Chambers on Tuesday to express support for the project, especially the grocery.

A full grocery is badly needed in the area, they said, and would reduce driving time required to go to stores in other areas and address what is currently somewhat of a food desert. Greenstar General Manager Brandon Kane said the cooperative is on board with the plan.

A two-story mixed-use building with 15 parking spots currently occupies the space. Zoning laws would require the new building to have 57 parking spots, but Lower said he wants the board to waive all parking requirements.

Lower said he will offer all residents in the building either an Ithaca Carshare membership or a TCAT bus pass. Accessibility to public transit will cut down on cars in Collegetown and eliminate the need for parking spaces at Collegetown Crossing, he said.

Though two Common Council members urged the board to consider solutions other than granting a variance, several members of the public supported eliminating the parking requirement.

One speaker, who identified himself as a Cornell University student, said he has a car only because he needs to drive to a grocery to get food. If there was a place to get all the food he needs in Collegetown, he said, he and many other students would leave their cars at home, cutting down on the need for parking.

Dan Keough, a nutritionist and sustainable transportation advocate, said residents in the building could buy parking passes for the city parking garage on Dryden Road if they must have a car. City parking garages lose money each year, he said, and requiring off-street parking space for this project could make redevelopment too difficult.

Planning Board member John Schroeder said he would like to require less parking in general in that area.

"I'm in favor of a Collegetown plan in which parking is not required," he said. "I would still like to see that go forward."

Here's the link:
http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...ance?odyssey=t

And here's some drawings of the proposed project:

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...2290802&Ref=PH

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 9:57 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Whoa, I just noticed there's been over 100,000 views of this thread. Kind of nice to know someone is paying attention, be it one really lonely person who loves Ithaca, or thousands who wonder what an Ithaca is. Anyway, thanks, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have others drop a line or some info or pics here once in a while.

Special thanks to Vis.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 8:02 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Not great news, but at least the economy isn't sinking. The job loss situation is a disturbing trend. From the Ithaca Journal:

Economic index: Tompkins economy shows slight move up in January

4:16 PM, Mar. 16, 2012

The Ithaca College Index of Economic Activity essentially remained unchanged in January with an upward move of 0.07 percent.

The slight uptick continues the trend of stagnation that characterized the last quarter of 2011. Employment and retail sales dragged the index down, while home sales, building permits and air traffic fought upward. Help wanted advertising held steady. Compared to January 2011, economic activity was down 2.24 percent.

After giving up 300 jobs in December, Tompkins County lost another 500 jobs in January. All of the figures in this report are seasonally adjusted. The trend in employment has been sharply downward since early 2011. We had been recovering from the recession nicely when employment peaked at 66,200 in March 2011. Since then the number of jobs in Tompkins County has fallen to 61,700.

Retailers in Tompkins County saw their sales volume dip 3.75 percent in January. Compared to January 2011 retail sales were up 1.12 percent. Over the past year the retail sector has shown sluggish but steady growth.

The number of passengers boarding and deplaning at Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport soared 4.16 percent in January. Compared to January 2011, air traffic was up 7.51 percent. Air traffic has been strong for more than four years.

Residential building permits issued in Tompkins County vaulted 99.21 percent in January. Building permits are an extremely volatile indicator. They are off to a good start in 2012.

Home sales began the year showing strength as well. County realtors sold 51 homes in January, an improvement of 33.83 percent over December and 30.77 over January 2011. The average sale price was $178,500 compared to $204,600 a year earlier. The median home sold for $157,500 compared to $167,500 a year earlier.

Help wanted advertising inched back 0.18 percent in January. Compared to January 2011, help wanted advertising was up 10.51 percent.

Data revisions have altered our picture of past economic growth in Tompkins County. The recession in 2008 and 2009 was a tad worse than the original data indicated, but economic growth in 2010 was revised upward to 3.0 percent from 2.3 percent. There was less than 1 percent growth in 2011. The forecast for 2012 is for 1 percent growth.

Elia Kacapyr is a professor of economics at Ithaca College. His economic report on Tompkins County is published monthly in The Ithaca Journal.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 8:06 PM
Old Fart Forumer

It may be the City of Ithaca, but still a small town in many ways (nice story from YNN news station):

http://ithaca-cortland.ynn.com/conte...dalized-store/

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Interesting short vid on Cornell's clock tower chimes:

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:10 PM
Missing the Gorges

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...-in-metro.html

Using the census estimates from the bottom, Ithaca metro (Tompkins County) has added 785 people in the past two years, growing to 102,322. This gives a decadal growth rate of 3.7% if it remains constant. Not good, but not bad for an upstate NY metro.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 11:21 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Thanks Vis, and I agree any plus movement is better than stagnant or worse, decline.

Here's a small bit from the Ithaca Times:

Daily Briefing: Ithaca named Tree City

Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 12:47 pm

Ithaca named Tree City USA for 24th time
The City of Ithaca was recognized by the Arbor Day Foundation as a Tree City USA community for its commitment to urban forestry. It is the 24th time the city has earned that distinction.
Ithaca also received a Tree City USA Growth Award for demonstrating progress in its community forestry program. The Growth Award honors environmental improvement and higher levels of tree care in Tree City USA communities.
Ithaca has met the four standards to become a Tree City USA community: 1) Have a tree board or department, 2) a tree care ordinance, 3) a comprehensive community forestry program with annual expenditures of at least $2 per capita, and 4) an Arbor Day observance and proclamation. The Tree City USA program is sponsored by the Arbor Day Foundation with assistance from the National Association of State Foresters and the USDA Forest Service.
More information about Tree City USA can be found at www.arborday.org/TreeCityUSA.

Here's the link:

http://www.ithaca.com/news/article_4...9bb2963f4.html

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 11:24 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Some movement on a West Hill project (from the Ithaca Times):

Ithaca: Town Planning Board gives preliminary approval to Conifer Senior Living

Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:16 pm
By Dialynn Dwyer reporter@ithacatimes.com

The Town of Ithaca Planning Board gave unanimous preliminary site plan approval and preliminary subdivision approval to the proposed Conifer Senior Living West Hill development on April 3. The SEQR for the project was also passed unanimously. The project proposes the construction of a new, three story, 72 unit senior housing facility on approximately five acres. The proposal includes the construction of a new road off West Hill Drive, which will be dedicated to the town after construction. The project will require a change in zoning for the lot from a Medium Density Residential zone to a new Multiple Residence zone.
Representatives from the Elizabeth Ann Clune Montessori School presented a sketch plan for the proposed construction of a community room. The project would involve the construction of a new building between the existing main school building and the middle school buildings to provide a larger gymnasium, performance, and after school facilities, as well as new offices, restrooms and a support space. Phase One of the project would consist of the renovation of the existing main building to create additional classroom space. Phase Two of the project, expected to take place over the winter months of 2012, would see the construction of the new building.
Representatives from the school emphasized that the project did not represent an expansion, but an attempt to accommodate the current student body by getting back to the school’s target goal of having a 12-1 class size.
In other business, the board unanimously approved a recommendation to the Board of Zoning Appeals regarding sign variances for the replacement of the scoreboard at Ithaca College Carp Wood Field.

Here's the link:

http://www.ithaca.com/news/article_8...a4bcf887a.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast