HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
They opened at the end of July. Some friends of mine went there once but didn't return due to high prices. It cost a lot to raise animals ethically.
Or maybe the profit margin between "ethically raised, organic grass-fed (insert animal protein name here)" and the selling price wasn't enough to keep the business afloat.

If there is a growing percentage of the population who want to buy animal protein which reflects their values, then why is there a problem with the purchase price? Oh wait...it's unaffordable.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:19 AM

They seem to produce really great looking spaces, but despite the decor it all feels super inauthentic. They hype these places on social media months in advance, which puts so much pressure on them to deliver...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
They opened at the end of July. Some friends of mine went there once but didn't return due to high prices. It cost a lot to raise animals ethically.
Good news for this restaurant group: They can still honour their values by sourcing from Cumbraes.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 5:32 PM

Nando's is opening their first Hamilton location in Heritage Town Centre in Upper Stoney Creek.

It'll be in this building facing Stone Church Road...

my photo

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 9:31 PM

The Diplomat is open now where Baltimore House used to be.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 10:07 AM

Also heard Sagamartha below the Diplomat will be leaving.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 6:28 AM

Unique Restaurant

31 December 2017

Unique Restaurant Group is proud to introduce our 9th location. 33 Bowen will be opening to the public in early January 2018.

The location was previously known as slainte Irish pub and was also the original Keg steak house in Hamilton.

The building has been impressively transformed & renovated from top to bottom. It is our hope to provide you with a cutting edge dining and entertainment experience in one of the most historic buildings in the city.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Unique Restaurant

31 December 2017

Unique Restaurant Group is proud to introduce our 9th location. 33 Bowen will be opening to the public in early January 2018.

The location was previously known as slainte Irish pub and was also the original Keg steak house in Hamilton.

The building has been impressively transformed & renovated from top to bottom. It is our hope to provide you with a cutting edge dining and entertainment experience in one of the most historic buildings in the city.
That's great news. Thanks for sharing. NE
P.S. Hope they keep the bar intact, they got craftsmen from Ireland to construct it.

Last edited by northender98; Jan 2, 2018 at 1:14 PM. Reason: P.S. Hope they keep the bar intact, they got craftsmen from Ireland to construct it.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 3:22 PM

That's a big space to fill. Slainte kind of lost its way when it became in some ways a dance club towards the end.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:43 PM

Supposedly 33 Bowen is now open.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northender98 View Post
That's great news. Thanks for sharing. NE
P.S. Hope they keep the bar intact, they got craftsmen from Ireland to construct it.
Sadly the bar is gone. It looks like a milestones now.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
Sadly the bar is gone. It looks like a milestones now.
Sorry to hear that, thanks for updating us. NE

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 12:44 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 2:47 AM

Looks great! Love the wood work

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:53 PM

I went to 33 Bowen on Sunday.

The old bar is still there, it's just been moved to the upper floor which is the "events space". They have room for a band up there, whereas the main floor is more of a typical restaurant vibe.

Entire place is pretty nice. It was my first time in the building so I'm not sure what it looked like before, but there's a ton of exposed wood, brick and stone.

Food was good, although they have no fries, only potato wedges, which made my wife's fish and chips a bit weird/disappointing. As far as beer goes, they had 1 from Collective Arts and 1 from Shawn & Eds, but the rest (they have a ton of taps, 20+ I think) was all typical mainstream choices.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
I went to 33 Bowen on Sunday.

The old bar is still there, it's just been moved to the upper floor which is the "events space". They have room for a band up there, whereas the main floor is more of a typical restaurant vibe.

Entire place is pretty nice. It was my first time in the building so I'm not sure what it looked like before, but there's a ton of exposed wood, brick and stone.

Food was good, although they have no fries, only potato wedges, which made my wife's fish and chips a bit weird/disappointing. As far as beer goes, they had 1 from Collective Arts and 1 from Shawn & Eds, but the rest (they have a ton of taps, 20+ I think) was all typical mainstream choices.
Hi there,
The bar they kept upstairs is the one that was upstairs when Slainte was in business. The bar from downstairs was definitely taken away, I was there tonight and the waitress confirmed it was removed but does not know what they did with it. Im glad they have the one upstairs, too bad about the downstairs one, it was a beaut! NE

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:34 PM

"As far as beer goes, they had 1 from Collective Arts and 1 from Shawn & Eds, but the rest (they have a ton of taps, 20+ I think) was all typical mainstream choices."

Unique Restaurant group has always been known for their relative lack of craft beer (although they often have pseudo craft beers like Granville Island).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northender98 View Post
Hi there,
The bar they kept upstairs is the one that was upstairs when Slainte was in business. The bar from downstairs was definitely taken away, I was there tonight and the waitress confirmed it was removed but does not know what they did with it. Im glad they have the one upstairs, too bad about the downstairs one, it was a beaut! NE
Ahh, my bad. They told me the "old bar" was upstairs but I'd never been before so didn't have the context.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:01 PM

The space on John Street where Little Big Bowl is now open as Planted in Hamilton. I'm curious how long this will last.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 10:40 PM

Just a little info on Cora's restaurant, 73 Wilson St W in Ancaster.
There is apparently a fire at it that has gone to a 2nd alarm. 11 pieces of equipment have been sent there.
This is in a strip mall across the street from Fortino's .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation