HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:47 PM

What kind of council regects a project like this !?!?!?! As if they have people kicking down doors to build something of this magnitude and this expense .... Makes you wonder who does the city council really represent? Let the city sit empty for years and then pick and choose when some activity finally starts ..... Idiot, backwards small minded suburban hicks

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
What kind of council regects a project like this !?!?!?! As if they have people kicking down doors to build something of this magnitude and this expense .... Makes you wonder who does the city council really represent? Let the city sit empty for years and then pick and choose when some activity finally starts ..... Idiot, backwards small minded suburban hicks

People need to start paying attention when they vote. This is Hamilton, Ontario. Turning down a $300 million investment because a few people living in expensive detached homes don't want condos in their walled-off hood.
Successful cities welcome investment, growth and new economic stimulus. Lunch-bucket towns like ours stay boarded up and depressed for a reason.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 7:21 PM

I don't trust developers to look out for the public good but I certainly don't think much of this council and their ability to help guide Hamilton to a prosperous future. Most of them have zero vision.

Big developments and decisions are always a risk. There's nothing in it for a Councillor to support big plays like LRT and large scale developments because if it goes bad (and they sometimes will) they could lose their next election. Managers and those that maintain the status quo, or small scale changes can fly under the radar and get re-elected year after year as long the garbage gets picked up.

We really could do with term limits. Get on the council, give us your best for 4-8 years and then move on. Can someone please tell me what Tom Jackson and Chad Collins hope achieve in their roles as councillors that they could not have achieved in the past 20 plus years?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
There is a lengthy discussion about height and the relationship with wesanford. This seems to be one of the main issues with it. The massing and setback pieces seem to be fixable, but not that.

I'm surprised there is no opposition to 0.6 parking spaces per unit. Isn't that really low? The site isn't really that close to any LRT stop. Even if that got approved I'd foresee a really hard time selling 200 units with no parking.

This condo is a 4 minute walk to Bay and Main and a 6 minute walk to Bay and King.

Could see lots of young workers downtown living in these and go carless as renters.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 10:09 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Reply from Farr, who always hated TV City from the beginning and Brad Lamb I saw him on Cable 14.

Thanks for your email, ______. As it stands, Council unanimously approved supporting the staff report in the proponents launch of an appeal to the OMB before an official public meeting could occur.

J

------
WHAT??

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 10:15 PM
Concerned Citizen

So basically the city is willing to approve one 21 storey building at this location and nothing else. What an absolute waste of space. I hope Lamb and every other developer walks away from the city and never comes back. But from the sounds of it Lamb is going to be proposing many more tall buildings in the downtown. It sounds like he is going to cost this city millions in legal fees just to teach them a lesson.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
So basically the city is willing to approve one 21 storey building at this location and nothing else. What an absolute waste of space. I hope Lamb and every other developer walks away from the city and never comes back. But from the sounds of it Lamb is going to be proposing many more tall buildings in the downtown. It sounds like he is going to cost this city millions in legal fees just to teach them a lesson.
Sometimes bullying works

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Reply from Farr, who always hated TV City from the beginning and Brad Lamb I saw him on Cable 14.

Thanks for your email, ______. As it stands, Council unanimously approved supporting the staff report in the proponents launch of an appeal to the OMB before an official public meeting could occur.

J

------
WHAT??

Keep the pressure on, people....he needs to start hearing loud and clear from people aren't part of the DNA and Corktown NA.
It's unconscionable that we are turning down a $300 million investment just because of a few complainers.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post

The site looks to be able to house 27-29 storey buildings and still fit 'under' the escarpment. The city staff guy was obviously just making things up on the fly when he said 22. When you see the real numbers you realize just how stupid this is. He's proposing 40 and 30. And 27-29 can fit under their escarpment height rule (which as of this very moment is still NOT officially a rule anywhere in the books at city hall!!) We're holding a developer to rules that aren't even in place yet.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 10:59 AM
Happily mad!

I wrote every councillor, the mayor, and included Brad Lamb in that shared list of emails given out by raise the hammer over a week ago now.

I've seen this before in the 90's and it's happening again. It's apathy, and people in power who do not know how to govern a city. It's a mentality to keep Hamilton in the dark, and hiding in a veil of no change held onto by a few..

Council has the power to place a lot of pressure to help implement change..
so do we if we write them.

I even encouraged Mr Lamb to fight them and keep going higher and buy up that little cul-de-sac and put another 40 story tower there too..

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 1:49 AM
Concerned Citizen

Here is a recent interview with Brad Lamb on Cable 14.

https://cable14now.com/video-on-dema.../?videoId=2973

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:05 PM

I think this is 2 30 storey towers now; redesigned podium.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:11 PM

Nooooooooo
I wanted him to hold out and go through the OMB. This is our last chance for a new tallest.

What makes you think it's 2 thirty storey buildings.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:12 PM

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:31 PM

agree to partial compromise, one 60 storey tower - less blocked view of water!

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:39 PM

where are you getting this info?

I'd be happy with this...the design is still the same, which I absolutely love.
I guess the brick podium is meant to appease the neighbours. Good luck. There is no appeasing NIMBYs

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:47 PM

Just pulled out the architectural drawings.

This would put both buildings at 98 metres in height. If I recall, that's the same as the two towers being built by LIUNA at King/Hughson.

However, this part of the downtown is slightly higher so both of these 30 storey towers would be 15 metres higher than the escarpment.
Considering how far this site is from the escarpment (which curves to the south in this part of downtown) nobody would even be able to tell if they're taller or not.

I suspect this is his last attempt to provide a compromise to the city, or make the city play the risky game of going through the OMB hearing. I'd be shocked if the OMB didn't rule in Lamb's favour.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Ottawas height restrictions are still in place downtown. That building is in the burbs, outside the height restriction.
The building is not even 10 minutes to parliament. Hardly the burbs.

It is 3KM outside of downtown proper Hamilton. This is essentially the end of Carlton university.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 12:57 AM
It's Hammer Time

I'm glad Lamb kept the same design, although I think the podium is way too overboard on the red bricks. However, I get it, it's to keep the neighbourhood happy. Why not keep the bricks but maybe black bricks, or grey bricks instead of red.

Also I really hope both towers aren't 30 storeys, 30 and 31 or 32 I would be fine, just not two identical 30 storey buildings together.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I'm glad Lamb kept the same design, although I think the podium is way too overboard on the red bricks. However, I get it, it's to keep the neighbourhood happy. Why not keep the bricks but maybe black bricks, or grey bricks instead of red.

Also I really hope both towers aren't 30 storeys, 30 and 31 or 32 I would be fine, just not two identical 30 storey buildings together.

get ready for a skyline that might become a big long slab of 30 storey buildings in the next decade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton