HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 6:23 AM
Reliable Source

Atlanta - Not necessarily the most distressing or depressing knockdowns, but here's what I have at hand:

Terminal Station

Cabana Motor Hotel

615 Peachtree

615 Peachtree

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 6:04 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-s View Post
It makes me sad to think about Detroit's lost treasures. IMHO, no other city in the country has lost more gems than Detroit.
Actually I do not necessarily think Detroit has lost more than other old cities. It is the WAY that they are lost that is especially painful. In a city such as New York, an architecturally significant building may have been torn down, but a new skyscraper usually with at least some merit of its own is quickly put up in its place. In Detroit, however, the story is sometimes different. In a city that once had almost 2 million people in its city limits and now contains less than 900,000, a hotel or theater that closes has little prospect of reopening any time soon. After it closes, it may change hands a few times and then the slow decline begins. Sometimes the city tries to arrange a deal for redevelopment that falls through. The roof begins to leak, windows are broken, and then scrappers steal all metal pipes and window frames. Some buildings take decades to die. Meanwhile its hulk remains to forcibly remind one that the best days were in the past.

One could even argue that Detroit has a higher percentage of buildings from the early 20th century than many other cities. The problem is that some of them are not in use and are doomed unless they can be redeveloped. In the last five years there have been some hopeful signs as two major hotels that were abandoned for about 20 years are being restored and reopened.

On a separate category, I think it may be misleading to post structures built for a worlds fair. Usually these structures were not built to last and were intended to be dismantled after the event. For example, at the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago, most of the structures were covered with a form of plaster, not stone so they would eventually degrade. Only one such structure, that is now the Field Museum, was rebuilt in stone at a later date.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 3:50 AM

While Tulsa is a small town on the prarie and certainly cant compete with the larger, older, cities on this thread... Unfortunately it can put up quite a battle on the tearing down buildings front. I think we have torn down more than we have built in our downtown. Here is but a sampling.

First a few of the old theater palaces and show houses.
The orpheum

The Ritz

The Akdar

The Coliseum

Grand

Some of the other bildings in or near downtown that have been lost.

Interior of the Mayo Hotel

Lobby of Mayo

Hotel Tulsa

Alvin Hotel

Brady Hotel

Reeder building

Halliburton/Abbot building

Tulsa Medical Arts building

Daniel building

Pioneer building

Clinton building

Central National Bank building

Goodwill building

McBirney building

Skaggs building

Tulsa County Courthouse

Morningside Hospital

Palace Clothiers

Carnegie Library

Tulsa's Art-deco municipal airport.

Some various small schools and churches, all gone now.

There are lots more that were torn down, but will have to find pics.

BTW we have lots of parking lots downtown to look at now. Yuck. Fortunately some of the larger more impressive buildings that were built in Tulsas heydays of the 1920s were spared the wrecking ball. They are considered treasures now. Sure wish we had a few of those Theater Palaces left though. And what a great museum or other use that Courthouse could have been used for. At one time Tulsas population was over 9,000 people per square mile. Suburban type sprawl has brought it down to about 1,900 people per square mile now.

Last edited by WilliamTheArtist; Jul 21, 2007 at 4:03 AM. Reason: added pic

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 4:24 AM
BANNED

Amazing stuff guys. Great finds.

Wow London has lost a lot of history...

I thought the states lost a lot in the last hundred years or so...

Not as much compared to London...

I weep for your losses and I hope everyone everywhere learns from what was built in the past and respect it.

I hope these illustrations help future engineers and developers avoid the terrible losses of our past achievements.

Ideally we could retro fit the majority of these wonderful pieces of architecture in the future and make them up to date, plumbing, electricity, connectivity..

But alas I understand the dilemmas of a building that is uneconomical to maintain and is not in feasible to maintain any longer...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 3:53 AM
They all float down here

The Constitution Building in Salt Lake.

This was one of the most historical buildings in downtown Salt Lake, as it was one of the oldest. It was demolished in the 1970s for a mall that is now being demolished currently.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture