HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 6:47 PM
Meh

Looking at this map, what would be nice is having that proposed street car or light rail bridge take the Trinity Street route. The bridge could then meet up very near where Waller Creek empties into Lady Bird Lake, maybe not too near, but near enough that the hike & bike trail along Waller Creek could jut over to the bridge, so that the trail could then cross the river.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 1:04 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...ler-creek.html
Quote:
Funding structure for Waller Creek changing again

Hilton money woes mean property owners may chip in more

Austin Business Journal - by Jacob Dirr, ABJ Staff
Date: Friday, February 11, 2011, 5:00am CST

The city of Austin is backing off a 2006 plan to use excess earnings from the Hilton convention hotel downtown to fund a new and improved Waller Creek after the hotel failed to generate much of a profit for 2010.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 12:20 PM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...ostCommentForm
Quote:
Seeking funding for Waller Creek Tunnel, city turns to utility customers
An additional 40 cents per month on utility bills will total $55 million over 13 years

By Marty Toohey

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Updated: 10:47 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011
Published: 10:34 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011

Austin city officials say yet more money could be needed to build the Waller Creek Tunnel, a massive public works project intended to transform a moribund, flood-prone section of eastern downtown into a smaller version of San Antonio's River Walk.

To raise additional funds for the tunnel, the City Council on Thursday approved a plan that raises the drainage fee on Austinites' monthly utility bills, starting in 2015. The typical resident would pay about 40 cents a month more; all told, the surcharge will bring in about $55 million over 13 years.

City officials say the extra money is needed because the slowdown of the economy could hamper the economic renaissance the tunnel is supposed to spur when it is finished in 2014. If that happens, a special taxing district created to pay for the project could come up short.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 12:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
02/18/2011 07:38 PM
Contractor chosen for Waller Creek tunnel project
By: YNN Staff

Plans for a nearly mile-long, 26-foot-wide tunnel through downtown are one step closer to completion.

The Austin City Council approved a construction contract worth $49.5 million Thursday.

http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_st...tunnel-project

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 2:19 PM

I for one am definately willing to make that huge sacrifice to of 40 cents per month to see this come to fruition, lol.

I wonder if we will start to see development happen while this is happening or if it won't happen until after completion,,,it sure would be nice to have not only the creek ready but also some retail and residential right there to make it more pleasant.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
I for one am definately willing to make that huge sacrifice to of 40 cents per month to see this come to fruition, lol.

I wonder if we will start to see development happen while this is happening or if it won't happen until after completion,,,it sure would be nice to have not only the creek ready but also some retail and residential right there to make it more pleasant.
couldn't agree with you more! Definitely an under appreciated and misunderstood asset that I think naysayers will like once they see the results.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 10:49 PM
Meh

The amount of money this will generate for Austin's economy will more than make up for the new tax. They said 40 cents over 13 years would generate $55 million in tax dollars. Hell, if even one single residential building or hotel or office building is built anywhere along the creek, the cost of building that one building would easily pump $55 into Austin's economy. Halting the floods that happen on the creek will free up 27 acres for development. You could put up to 60 buildings with ease on that amount of land with room to spare.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 10:24 PM
Meh

http://impactnews.com/central-austin...city-of-austin
Quote:
Waller Creek Master Plan earns funding from the City of Austin

By Andrea Leptinsky
Friday, 25 March 2011

CENTRAL AUSTIN — The Waller Creek District Master Plan, a project approved by the Austin City Council in June 2010, is expected to break ground in April after the council approved $49.5 million for the first steps of its construction in February.

Known for excessive flooding, vagrants and pollution, Waller Creek has a history of deterring development from a prime stretch of downtown land. The Waller Creek Tunnel Project, a plan separate from the Waller Creek District Master Plan, is meant to reduce the risk of severe flooding and erosion, improve overall water quality and create a more favorable landscape for new and existing business investment.

“Businesses have been reluctant to invest and build, fearing they could get washed away anytime,” said Carolyn Perez, public outreach coordinator for the Waller Creek projects. “They’ve thought, ‘Why bother?’ But once the tunnel is installed, they will have peace of mind knowing their property is protected.”

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 9:48 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

They have finally started construction on the Tunnel today.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
any idea what they will do first?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 10:40 PM
~Hook'em~

Anyone have any pictures of the machines they are using to dig the tunnel? I have some very weird fascination with that sort of stuff. When I was going to school in Boston I did a report on the different kinds of tunnels in NYC and would go down there on many weekends to learn more about it (even well after done with my report) just because of how much it fascinated me. I also get made fun of because of my DVD's on them building the Chunnel. lol.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 10:10 PM

They are not going to do any real digging for a few months, and when they start, it will be a 70 foot deep hole at Waterloo park where they will be able to lower the drilling equipment and head south. I'm still trying to imagine the inlet where the water will be directed. Its going to have to be built to prevent large debis and people from getting in, but how do you keep it from clogging at the same time? Curious to see the design. They will probably be able to get quite a bit of work done on the lake side before the tunnel connects to it. That will be an incredible day! Maybe not as incredible as the Chunnel. I would guess there will be access to the tunnel at least by a select few to document the occasion. Does anyone think some significant surface work can begin now along the creek, before the tunnel completion in 2014?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 3:49 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I don't think a ton of work can be done until the tunnel is complete other than maybe clean up and creek restoration. Parts of Waller Creek are really nasty right now.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I'm still trying to imagine the inlet where the water will be directed. Its going to have to be built to prevent large debis and people from getting in, but how do you keep it from clogging at the same time? Curious to see the design.
Interesting question. Maybe they will have the ability to back-flush it by activating valves that would re-direct the outlet flow.

I'm having troubles understanding exactly where it will be positioned, and also the areas that are marked "Development Opportunity" just east of Trinity culdesac. Do they plan on tearing down the assisted facility located there? The old boat storage sheds in front of it make sense, but after that they would have to tear the assisted facility down to make it development op wouldn't they?

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/wallercre...tive_xsecs.pdf

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I think they've just had the groundbreaking ceremony. But yes, construction should start any day now.

At first they will be digging the vertical inlet tunnel at 4th and I-35, behind the Gas Pipe and the Palm Door, where the surface lot is now. Since that is right next door to where I live, I will be sure and let you guys know when the big machinery arrives.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 8:53 PM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Since that is right next door to where I live, I will be sure and let you guys know when the big machinery arrives.
Awesome thanks!

I'm really looking forward to know what they are planning on using. My experience with the ground here in Austin (my garden, and landscaping around the house) is that there is no clay or much of anything but rock, rock and more rocks in our ground. Should be interesting to see what they plan on attacking those rocks with.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 8:59 PM

The entire point of the project is to be able to pump water up the new tunnel when water levels are low...This is what will maintain a pleasant flow level in Waller Creek (which we clearly don't have now and is one of the reasons it is so unappealing down there now). When heavy rains occur, the pumps will be turned off and the tunnel will be solely used to move water to the Lake and get it away from that area of downtown.

As for where the inlet structure is, it is the building that is located on the south (left side on the map JAM provided) side of Waterloo park. It will be part of the retention pond that will be created at Waterloo (there will be a dam to create this pond). It will house pumps to keep the water flowing, as well as debris removal apparatus. From what I recall at one of the meetings, a group of engineers told us that there will be a large grate system that prevents debris from getting into the tunnel, as well as a crane and claw like system that helps scoop the debris into trucks to be taken away (that is why the building back directly onto 12th). The crane is supposed to be powerful enough to handle any large (they said Volkswagen size) debris that would be swept down the creek. There are also a couple of other much smaller inlets along the route to help route water during storms. The main outlet is along the lake, and will allow water to flow into the lake, and also back into the tunnel during calm weather so it can be pumped up to street level and flow pleasantly down the creek. That actually is the main difference between San Antonio's system and this planned one. San Antonio has very little elevation change, making it easy for boats to navigate. This system is closer to a hill country stream than the riverwalk because the water has to flow down about 50 ft. from start to finish.

I don't know if I cleared up any of the confusion (sorry if I made it worse). But if you need more info, the tunnel project website (not the Master plan) should be able to help.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/wallercre...htm#tunnel_vid

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 10:21 PM

Best explanation to date, thx. I'm hoping for significant waterfall features to drown out some of the traffic noise. I would imagine cleanup and some engineering work can begin on the creek after the digging begins. Another question I have is can all or most of the water be diverted to the tunnel so that the creek can be dry for maintenance?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 4:58 PM

So how many more years? 4.5? I wish it was done already!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Best explanation to date, thx. I'm hoping for significant waterfall features to drown out some of the traffic noise. I would imagine cleanup and some engineering work can begin on the creek after the digging begins. Another question I have is can all or most of the water be diverted to the tunnel so that the creek can be dry for maintenance?
The digging is only going to be visible at certain areas downtown. The rest will be underground with the tunnel boring machines. Because of this, if the will is there I am sure much of the work could start as soon as the project in full swing (and investors are confident the project will proceed to completion). I use the term "will" here purposefully because that really is the next step in this process. Under what I understand of this entire project (and anyone else that has more info about this project correct me if I am wrong), the tunneling project, which includes utility relocation, the tunnel, the inlet, outlet, creek side inlets, site restoration, and maybe the boat house, is the only part of this entire plan that is funded (and even that is based on TIF projections). There is no money or funding scheme set aside for any of the nice drawings of parks and paths we are seeing on the Master Plan. The plan is just that, a plan that needs political (and that might be contentious in some parts of the plan) and economic will. Hopefully the tunnel project will generate that. Once it gets started, businesses might be more willing to invest in the area. Until then, there are no real concrete plans or timelines saying when we will get all these visible aspects of the project. Just a vision and some hopes and dreams.

One final note: because of what I just said, I honestly don't think the TIF district would of ever fully paid for this project. Already we are seeing a new tax on water bills to pay for it. Let me make this clear...I AM PERFECTLY OK WITH THAT. The Waller Creek tunnel project will more than pay for itself in the long run in both economic and social benefits. But I think that the fact that TIF would pay for all of this project was just used as a political maneuver. In the long run, 10-20 years, maybe there will be the development necessary to pay for all the other improvements necessary for this project; things like the nice walkways and pretty terraces area again separate and unfunded. However, many of the supposed business that are going to move in and take advantages of those facilities (and pay for the TIF) are going to want to wait for the visual improvements to at least have started before they commit. The city might push them to put in the improvements themselves but that would increase costs and might dissuade some investors. It is a little of a chicken and egg situation. The businesses want the trail improvements, but the city needs them to be there to pay for the trail improvements. Like any large infrastructure project that lays the first groundwork for development, it is pretty optimistic to think TIF will pay for all of it. And I haven't even touched the transportation upgrades that will probably be necessary to accommodate all this extra density on Waller Creek and Rainey St. But that is just my opinion and I may be wrong. Maybe this stuff will appear quickly and we will have a brand new from scratch district in the next few years. We shall all just have to wait and see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin