HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 9:45 PM

Question: Are they removing either of what I've coloured purple or are they staying put? Just trying to make sense of the images.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Question: Are they removing either of what I've coloured purple or are they staying put? Just trying to make sense of the images.

The purple sections will be removed.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, the segments you coloured are being removed.

When driving south on route 11 coming from Bouctouche, in order to continue on to Scoudouc, you'll need to exit on to Main street, go over the highway overpass and then exit Main and merge onto 132 (the stretch of road which is currently the southern terminus of route 11 between Main street and route 15).

What's not clear on the render is that the current Main street overpass over route 11 will need to be widened to at least 2 lanes as it seems it will accommodate 2 way traffic. Currently that overpass is a single westbound lane.

In the second image, the roadway is simply being moved slightly north for overpass alignment and likely to allow enough space for the needed elevation change for the eastbound approach to the overpass.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 12:44 AM

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 12:06 PM

According to CBC the Hotel Shediac owner is having some trouble right now, but it SHOULDN'T impact the hotel itself, which is apparently doing quite well.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 12:16 PM

I noticed that the site of the old Sandspit has a new foundation being poured. I haven't heard about what is being built there but it is nice to see something going on with that piece of land. It should be noted that there is still a for sale sign up on the property, but maybe they have subdivided it and are selling off the pieces. It'll be interesting to see what they do with that piece of land. I always thought that an area like the boardwalk shops in Cavendish would work great right there next to the beach.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 11:54 AM

An update, I noticed ICF forms on the site yesterday so there should be some sort of building there soon. I wonder what it is.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I noticed that the site of the old Sandspit has a new foundation being poured. I haven't heard about what is being built there but it is nice to see something going on with that piece of land. It should be noted that there is still a for sale sign up on the property, but maybe they have subdivided it and are selling off the pieces. It'll be interesting to see what they do with that piece of land. I always thought that an area like the boardwalk shops in Cavendish would work great right there next to the beach.
I asked a local across the street if he knew who bought the land and he said "It was the Doctor with the big house at Point du Chêne. He bought the whole lot."

No idea what's being built though.

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 8:48 AM

Quote:
I asked a local across the street if he knew who bought the land and he said "It was the Doctor with the big house at Point du Chêne. He bought the whole lot."

No idea what's being built though.
I believe the permit was issued for a new ambulance depot, and the rest of the parcel remains for sale. Surveyors were around last fall and only marked out a small lot around the construction.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 3:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Shediac adding bicycle lanes to Main Street
Mayor Jacques LeBlanc says giving up one car lane for two bike lanes part of active transportation plan
CBC News Posted: May 19, 2015 11:18 AM AT
Last Updated: May 19, 2015 11:18 AM AT

Shediac is going on a "road diet" in an attempt to get more people out of their vehicles and onto their bicycles.

Mayor Jacques LeBlanc says the town will re-paint road lines for the existing four lanes of traffic on part of busy Main Street. The car lanes will be reduced to three in order to make room for a bicycle lane on each side of the street.

"We know that with the young families coming to town, the seniors that want to move and want to get active... it's all about getting Shediac healthy and getting Shediac moving and we have a quite significant amount of cyclists," he said in an interview on Information Morning Moncton.

LeBlanc says there will be one lane for cars in each direction along with a shared left turn lane on Main Street between Sackville Street and Belliveau Beach Road.

In a news release, the Town of Shediac says the concept has been tried in many towns and cities around the world and has been proven to have advantages.

"Road diets reduce vehicle conflicts that contribute to rear-end, left turn and sideswipe collisions. This concept also improves the safety of crosswalks," it says.

LeBlanc says there isn't room to add bicycle lanes to the downtown core but an educational campaign will continue to encourage motorists to share the road, and cyclists to stop using sidewalks.

"We've been having a lot of challenges with mothers with strollers and seniors walking on sidewalks and having challenges with the cyclists," LeBlanc said.

Shediac is also adding bike racks to the downtown to give cyclists a place to lock up their bicycles.

LeBlanc knows it will take time for habits to change but he says with a growing population, Shediac residents need to be respectful on all forms of transportation.

"People are changing their mind sets and I think we need to get away from moving cars and start getting active and moving our feet and our legs and getting in shape."

Personal note - I don't live in Shediac and only rarely visit the town, so I am officially neutral on this initiative but the traffic on Main Street is a nightmare at the best of times. What will reducing the number of lanes from four to three mean for this traffic congestion???

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 4:00 PM

I can see people using the center lane (West) to get around the line of cars that will be sticking out of the Tim Horton's drive thru.

They'll need to re-pave all of the outer lanes to make this happen, too. Some spots are definitely not bike-friendly. Very rough and pot-holed.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 3:13 PM

Awesome bike news. I often go to Shediac and bike around the limited amount of trails during the summer months. I drive to Shediac in my truck with my mt-bike in the back. Park at Sobeys/Canadian Tire and start my bike trip from there.

It's great to be able to bike from this point to Point Du Chene wharf, Parlee Beach, and all over. No need to pay access fee to the wharf and Parlee is great. Adding these bike lanes on Main will make things a lot more easier to travel around town.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 3:25 PM

I've already noticed an increase in bike traffic this summer, it seems that some of the residence are welcoming this news. I know my family will be using them!

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 8:00 PM

The road diet for Main Street is great news - it makes no sense in its current configuration anyhow, since the four lanes have traffic have to merge into two lanes. This is what leads to the congestion - not the other way around.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 12:05 PM

The Yeh! Yogurt has been converted into a Mom's Chicken and Pop's Pizza.
Here is a link to their facebook page

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I'm sure they'll do way better then Yeh! Yogurt

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
And Fresa also closed and the florist "Les fleurs ma passion" is taking over their location in the former Jean Coutu.

I guess Goji's won the frozen yogurt war in Shediac

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 1:34 PM

Actually I think Fresa relocated to Cap Pele

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 12:51 AM

Talks Of New Developments withing Shediac, and/or just outside the town limit, There where talks of a new campground In South West Shediac on the way to Scoudouc There where also talks on a new hotel, and commercial development but as we speak it's only talks hopefully plans will be handed in to the town of Shediac for approval soon. I'm wondering how the citizens of Shediac, and surrounding communities will feel about this if it happens.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 11:50 AM

I really hope that the talks of the commercial development are true, and that they do it right and make it fit with the town identity and not the standard commercial development you usually see (I would not want box stores in Shediac). The Hotel is desperately needed, there is a huge gap between Hotel Shediac and Seeley's motel, a void that needs to be filled. As for the campground, I was one of the people against the campground at the location they suggested, as I said at the time that location would be much better suited for the commercial development that would be open year round than a campground that runs from the end of May until the middle of September. I firmly believe that Shediac could transform itself into a year round destination if the right people with the vision to do so were elected.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces