HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 2:00 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
I love how these examples were omitted or just overlooked. Aside from the first towers atrium being very nice I see nothing to be jealous of.

If dlueng post these buildings then he contradicts himself and then there is no point to the first post.

If I'm gonna be jealous, I'm jealous of Tokyo, Bangkok, and Monaco. Sydney is just a smaller more boring and waspy verison of Toronto. Nothing that will put your pants in a knot. Thats for sure.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 2:34 AM

If we're talking about office towers here, what is there exactly to be jealous of in Monaco?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 2:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Sydney is just a smaller more boring and waspy verison of Toronto. Nothing that will put your pants in a knot. Thats for sure.
And you've reached this conclusion by looking at pictures of office buildings on the internet? You've obviously never been to Sydney (although I prefer Melbourne).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 2:49 AM
gettin' rich!

Just in general terms...

Austraila is as boring as Canada. Fancy office towers wont make the place interesting. Certainly won't make anyone here envy it or anything.

Wanna make me envious lets talk about Monaco, its smoking rich and loaded with hot and sexy french chics.
And of course I've always had a soft spot for Ginza and Shinzuku. We need a Ginza and Shinjuku right here in Canada.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Just in general terms...

Austraila is as boring as Canada. Fancy office towers wont make the place interesting. Certainly won't make anyone here envy it or anything.
And yet you've never been there...

Unless you're just looking at pictures on the internet, office towers seldom make any place interesting. In fact, they usually have the opposite effect.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:21 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Sydney is just a smaller more boring and waspy verison of Toronto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74
Austraila is as boring as Canada.
Cal, your progress updates are fun and everything, but...try not to be a moron, okay?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:32 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Just in general terms...

Wanna make me envious lets talk about Monaco, its smoking rich and loaded with hot and sexy french chics.
And of course I've always had a soft spot for Ginza and Shinzuku. We need a Ginza and Shinjuku right here in Canada.
Have you even been to Monaco or Tokyo, or more specifically Shinzuku (sic)? Go to these places first before slamming a whole other country by comparison (one that you also haven't been to). It'll give your opinion A LOT more credit.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:33 AM
gettin' rich!

Trying to get me excited about Austraila, is like trying to to get me excited about going on a date with a 300 pound fat chick.

Oh you don't like it? How about if we put a giant atrium inside it, or maybe slap a thong on it.

Damn, you're right sorry for not noticing, its very sexy. My bad.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 4:38 AM

Jesus talk about picking and choosing.. You could easily argue the opposite with cherrypicked pictures.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Just in general terms...

lol, You're right. Fancy office towers do not an interesting place make. And given a choice between Toronto and Sydney, i know where I'd rather live (hint: it isn't Toronto). I think most people who have spent any time at all in both cities would agree with me.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 10:27 AM

Also, I've been to Monaco and honestly it's deadly dull, I'd much rather be in Sydney, or even Toronto. Even with money, it's a place to relax, educate kids, and not pay taxes. If you've got that money you can have more fun with elsewhere, and if not there's nothing to do in Monaco.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass View Post
lol, You're right. Fancy office towers do not an interesting place make. And given a choice between Toronto and Sydney, i know where I'd rather live (hint: it isn't Toronto). I think most people who have spent any time at all in both cities would agree with me.
Stayed in Sydney for 3 weeks last year. After 4 days downtown I got bored and headed out to the beaches.

Personally, I'd pick Wellington New Zealand first, then Toronto, then Melbourne, then an oceanfront suburb of Sydney, then Sydney city centre. I won't even mention Auckland or Adelaide.

Downtown Sydney shop-keeps were curt, food was meh, grocery stores had very poor selection, tourists were everywhere. I did thoroughly enjoy the built form of the Harbor YHA around the dig site. That was genius.

The only thing Sydney has over Melbourne is a supply of fresh water and a lack of dead sheep.

Next time I'm in that part of the world I expect I'll a month on the southern half of New Zealand. The hills around Picton are really neat and that's as far as I got.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 1:38 PM

It would make sense Australia would get some nicer fancy office towers, as Australian cities have been re-centralizing their office employment to a greater degree than Canada (where we are still decentralizing).
Sydney added 100,000 new jobs in the city centre in a 20 year span. Thats a lot of office space needed.
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/A.../AtAGlance.asp

This in contrast to Toronto which still has less employees in the city centre than in 1989.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 1:53 PM

Actually Australia is probably a "more boring" version of the U.S.A., despite the accent it feels way more American than Canada does in comparison -good and bad. Sydney is more like San Diego than anything. Anyway, yeah, I agree if it weren't on the other side of the world it wouldn't seem nearly so glamorous -but it is so bully for them.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 1:59 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
It would make sense Australia would get some nicer fancy office towers, as Australian cities have been re-centralizing their office employment to a greater degree than Canada (where we are still decentralizing).
Sydney added 100,000 new jobs in the city centre in a 20 year span. Thats a lot of office space needed.
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/A.../AtAGlance.asp

This in contrast to Toronto which still has less employees in the city centre than in 1989.
Toronto and North York, versus Sydney and it's, what, 20 suburban downtowns that are all about half the size of North York?

Sydney isn't as centralized as people on here think. I am pretty sure it actually sprawls more than Toronto does.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Toronto and North York, versus Sydney and it's, what, 20 suburban downtowns that are all about half the size of North York?

Sydney isn't as centralized as people on here think. I am pretty sure it actually sprawls more than Toronto does.
Actually Sydney's suburban office areas are usually built in the suburban CBD's instead of in office parks like we do. So Sydney actually has some pretty interesting suburban office buildings, as even in the suburbs, they tend to be in downtownish higher density developments, like Chatswood.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:31 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
Stayed in Sydney for 3 weeks last year. After 4 days downtown I got bored and headed out to the beaches.
Would a tourist to Toronto really want to spend more than four days downtown? I love Toronto an awful lot, but I can't really imagine many tourists coming to Toronto specifically to spend a week in the city.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Would a tourist to Toronto really want to spend more than four days downtown? I love Toronto an awful lot, but I can't really imagine many tourists coming to Toronto specifically to spend a week in the city.
Aside for NYC, I'd say every North American city is really only worthy of a long weekend getaway.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 4:11 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gibbroni View Post
And you've reached this conclusion by looking at pictures of office buildings on the internet? You've obviously never been to Sydney (although I prefer Melbourne).

But you can't even drink in public in Melbourne!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 4:41 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
...in their mid 70s. But, I guess if that's what you're into.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada