HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 2:26 PM

Master’s Degree – Postgraduate… What Should I Do?

Hello!!!!!! I’m new around here, and I recently graduated from Civil Engineer. I live in the Dominican Republic (Caribbean - Near Puerto Rico). I am 22 years old. I am looking to do a Master’s Degree or postgraduate. The thing is, I do not know which area/specialization fits better to my likes.

I am looking for some advice, recommendation, or comment on the different areas that the civil engineer offers in which they include (some, if all better): creation, design, tampering, computing (&Technology in general), not jobbed-attached (Something which I can undertake later on).
Thanks a million !!!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 8:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Come to NJ. Plenty of civil engineering jobs out here, and if you work for the company long enough, most will pay for your masters. Experience > Degree.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 6:30 PM

How about a Master degree in Energy Efficient Buildings Design - or Building Science. The focus would be on heat transfer/air transer/moisture transfer through building envelopes, and how to control them. The other focus would be on reneable energy and how to integrate that into buildings. Calculation of energy loads, and looking at ways to minimize the loads.

With the push for energy efficient buildings due to climate change concerns, there is a huge market for that - but not a lot of people who have the expertise. Traditionally, this is the job of the architect, but the design problem has become so much more complex because we are looking more and more into the details and we need individuals with specialization in this field to approach the design problem.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering