HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Roosevelt University Dormitory in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 1:12 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Interesting. Looks to be a steel structure, not a concrete one. Rare for residential towers, but not unheard of. The Ritz Carlton hotel/condo tower in LA was built with steel.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 1:17 AM
tilted & shifted

Perhaps the developers are thinking it could be converted to commercial usage sometime in the future.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 2:24 AM
BANNED

Steel wasn't rare for residential up until the last 20 years or so. Steel was fairly common in the 50's and 60's.

The ceiling heights won't be anywhere near tall enough to be converted to office. Not to mention the super thin, elongate floor plate and huge amount of interior walls that would need to be demolished to open up the space. This building will likely never be used for anything other than dormitory or hotel or maybe residential.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 5:35 AM
dream fast

1-05

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 2:41 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Thanks for the pics - moving pretty quickly now and nice to see some steel construction downtown!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 2:46 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Interesting. Looks to be a steel structure, not a concrete one. Rare for residential towers, but not unheard of. The Ritz Carlton hotel/condo tower in LA was built with steel.

The lower half-or-third of this tower (can't remember the exact vertical programming mix) is actually not residential - it's class rooms, lecture halls, office space, including I think the admin for at least one of Roosevelt's schools, all types of common student space, etc, so given those needs, not surprising to see steel, at least on the lower levels...

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Jan 6, 2011 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 5:57 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ But it's pretty rare to see concrete construction on top of a steel base. I'd wager that it's steel all the way up.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 6:08 PM

Not since 300N Lasalle have I seen so much steel going up in Chicago. Nice looking building.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 6:28 PM
Ex Houstonian

I would kill to go to this school, those kids are going to have some amazing views of the city.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 9:58 PM

Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ I'd wager that it's steel all the way up.
Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but it would be nice to know and good for our economy if the steel being used is made in the USA, not China.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 1:54 AM
BANNED

I doubt that steel is fabricated in China. The shipping costs for such materials would be prohibitive. Most building and infrastructure steel is still made in the United States.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 6:15 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I doubt that steel is fabricated in China. The shipping costs for such materials would be prohibitive. Most building and infrastructure steel is still made in the United States.
Bingo. In fact, I'd bet it was made just across the border in Indiana.

Down here in New Orleans, steel has to be trucked in from faraway mills, so it's pretty costly. You really notice this when you look at overpasses, and all the beams holding up the roadway deck are made of concrete instead of steel. If you do see steel used here, it comes in very short segments. This reduces the cost of transportation (and the overall weight placed on the supports). Hopefully we'll start to see more steel construction here now that Nucor is building a massive plant just up the river, which should lower costs.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 9:14 PM
dream fast

1-11
Roosevelt U Dorm crane in the distance.

Last edited by george; Jan 11, 2011 at 10:41 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 10:56 AM

Project sourcing of steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Perhaps I'm mistaken and wish to be, but it's my understanding that most of the major permanent steel components for the new Bay Bridge eastern span in California are made in Shanghai. That because of mill capacity and hidden subsidies, the Chinese companies were able to provide bids for such large parts with much less lead time and cost, unmatched by USA bidders. I was disappointed to learn of this being that the Bay Bridge east span is so large and high profile capital project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Bingo. In fact, I'd bet it was made just across the border in Indiana... You really notice this when you look at overpasses, and all the beams holding up the roadway deck are made of concrete instead of steel. If you do see steel used here, it comes in very short segments. This reduces the cost of transportation (and the overall weight placed on the supports).
That does make good sense. Plus the steel segments used on bridges that span sea bound shipping lanes tend to be much larger in scale than the typical girder and beam used on many skyscrapers and interstate overpasses.

Last edited by seadragon; Jan 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added content

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
Perhaps I'm mistaken and wish to be, but it's my understanding that most of the major permanent steel components for the new Bay Bridge eastern span in California are made in Shanghai. That because of mill capacity and hidden subsidies, the Chinese companies were able to provide bids for such large parts with much less lead time and cost, unmatched by USA bidders. I was disappointed to learn of this being that the Bay Bridge east span is so large and high profile capital project.
I can only offer anecdotal evidence to this, but the likelihood that the steel is from China is higher than most think

My dad worked for steel companies for 30 yrs, all of which now are non-existant. (I even put a few summers in at the Calumet Steel mill).

As these mills shut down, the common theme was always that business was being lost to China. Granted, the steel product of these mills was different (think leaf springs for cars, rather than support beams for buildings). But I imagine the weight, not the product type is why most imagine the cost to ship would be prohibitive.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 1:03 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
Perhaps I'm mistaken and wish to be, but it's my understanding that most of the major permanent steel components for the new Bay Bridge eastern span in California are made in Shanghai. That because of mill capacity and hidden subsidies, the Chinese companies were able to provide bids for such large parts with much less lead time and cost, unmatched by USA bidders. I was disappointed to learn of this being that the Bay Bridge east span is so large and high profile capital project.]
The massive box girders that make up the eastern span of the Bay Bridge involve a special type of fabrication, since the segments are so gigantic. The cost of setting up a production line from scratch to produce these components would be incredible. But since China's already building tons of massive bridges, they can just tweak an existing production line, which greatly reduces the fixed costs versus an American company building one from scratch. These cost savings are enough that they more than offset the costs of transporting the pieces across the Pacific.

The pieces can also be directly transported from China to the Bay by water, which greatly simplifies the transport (imagine if you had to truck the segments overland!)

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 3:47 PM

The pieces can also be directly transported from China to the Bay by water, which greatly simplifies the transport (imagine if you had to truck the segments overland!)[/QUOTE]

Thats why most of the US steel plants were located by rivers or large waterways. They still make some of the largest aluminum sheets available next to a small river that runs down the center of the country. They were used to build many large military aircraft and even the A380(although the European Union has built their own plant now).

Shipping jobs to China is not a good thing to do. It is also not very GREEN as they don't have as good polution controls on their plants.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:06 PM
tilted & shifted

Cell phone shot from DePaul

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:21 PM
Ex Houstonian

I didnt realize there were so many vacant lots sitting around in that area.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 11:36 PM
TL;DR

That's the last real pocket of surface lots in or around the Loop. They're tricky to develop because businesses don't want to be up against the L tracks and neither do residents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive