HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 6:40 PM
Movin' on up

More and more immigrants choosing Winnipeg

What do you all think? I'm thinking this is great news!
(I just figured that this belonged in it's own thread as opposed to being in the construction threat; no offence OTL )

Winnipeg attracts residents from across the globe
By PAUL TURENNE, SUN MEDIA
Developing stories - Dec. 4

Filipinos are moving to Winnipeg in quickly increasing numbers.

Statistics Canada data released today, based on last year's census, shows that 6,885 people born in the Philippines moved to Winnipeg between 2001 and 2005, representing 28.5% of the city's immigration over that period.

That was more than double the number of Filipinos who moved to Winnipeg in the previous five years.

Philippine-born people now make up more than 20% of Winnipeg's total immigrant population, according to the census.

Another immigrant group moving to the city in increasing numbers is East Indians. More than 2,000 people moved to Winnipeg from India between 2001 and 2006, up from 840 in the previous five years.

China (1,375), Ukraine (960), and Ethiopia (870), rounded out the top five source countries for immigration to Winnipeg. All three countries sent many more people to the city from 2001 to 2006 than during the previous five years.

Large Caribbean countries like Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, and Guyana sent fewer people to Winnipeg than during the previous census, although some of the smaller islands in the region sent slightly higher numbers than in the late 1990s.

Read more in tomorrow's Winnipeg Sun.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Dec 4, 2007 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 6:42 PM
Movin' on up

Winnipeg attracts residents from across the globe
Developing stories - Dec. 4

Filipinos are moving to Winnipeg in quickly increasing numbers.

Statistics Canada data released today, based on last year's census, shows that 6,885 people born in the Philippines moved to Winnipeg between 2001 and 2005, representing 28.5% of the city's immigration over that period.

That was more than double the number of Filipinos who moved to Winnipeg in the previous five years.

Philippine-born people now make up more than 20% of Winnipeg's total immigrant population, according to the census.

Another immigrant group moving to the city in increasing numbers is East Indians. More than 2,000 people moved to Winnipeg from India between 2001 and 2006, up from 840 in the previous five years.

China (1,375), Ukraine (960), and Ethiopia (870), rounded out the top five source countries for immigration to Winnipeg. All three countries sent many more people to the city from 2001 to 2006 than during the previous five years.

Large Caribbean countries like Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, and Guyana sent fewer people to Winnipeg than during the previous census, although some of the smaller islands in the region sent slightly higher numbers than in the late 1990s.

Read more in tomorrow's Winnipeg Sun.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 8:09 PM

i think part of the reason is immigrants can get by with less qualifications if they agree to move and stay in manitoba vs. going to other province where immigration is lacking. I worked with a guy from israel who didnt have enough points to get it normally, and they said basically, if he moved to manitoba, they would let him in. so he did, and he probably loves canada more than most canadian born citizens.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 8:16 PM

as long as they are being productive or attempting to be productive, i'm all for it. What pisses me off is gangs like the Mad Cowz which is primarly African immigrants. I know many immigrants as well as they love it here and are working hard.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:20 AM
GQMF

There's a whole bunch a Filipinos that work with me and just came to Winnipeg this year. They said they chose Winnipeg because it was "easier". As in the whole process of immigrating here.

These guys are hard workers. Bring on some more!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:50 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
There's a whole bunch a Filipinos that work with me and just came to Winnipeg this year. They said they chose Winnipeg because it was "easier". As in the whole process of immigrating here.

Manitoba has a provincial election for skilled immigrants, which should make things faster and cheaper. Still every province has it, so I don't think it's easier in Manitoba than anywhere else.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 1:19 AM
ILYR

The key reason Manitoba has had a significant increase in international immigration is because of the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP), which was negotiated with the federal government, such that Manitoba could attract its own skilled immigrants. Most of the new immigrants to Manitoba are through this program. Below was taken from the Manitoba immigration website.

How to Immigrate to Manitoba, Canada
Thank you for choosing Manitoba. These guidelines explain how you can apply to the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) to be nominated for Permanent Resident Status in Canada. The MPNP is an economic program which selects skilled workers who have the training, work experience, and language ability to be employed in Manitoba and make a positive contribution to the provincial economy.

Applicants to the MPNP must be able to clearly demonstrate they are employable in Manitoba and have a strong potential to settle successfully and permanently in this province. If you are a skilled worker and are interested in living and working in Manitoba, you have the best chance of being nominated if:

you have sufficient training and work experience in your occupation
you have sufficient language ability to begin working soon after arrival
you have settlement supports in Manitoba to assist you upon your arrival
Applications to the MPNP are assessed under different Assessment Streams, according to the type and strength of your connection to Manitoba. MPNP eligibility criteria are described in the section Are You Eligible? as well as in a special section for each assessment stream. Please read all the application guidelines carefully before you apply.

All the forms you need to apply to the MPNP as a Skilled Worker are included with these guidelines. The most current information about MPNP application criteria, as well as all the required application forms are available on our website at www.immigratemanitoba.com. The MPNP offers public information sessions on a weekly basis in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Please call 204-945-2806 to register.

There is no fee required to apply to the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program. The Province of Manitoba has the sole authority to nominate applicants for Permanent Resident status in Canada based on our assessment of your potential for success in Manitoba as an independant skilled worker.

If you are nominated by the Province of Manitoba, you will then need to apply for Permanent Resident Status to the Government of Canada as a Manitoba Provincial Nominee. The MPNP will provide you with complete instructions explaining how to apply for a Permanent Resident visa. You must pay all the required Government of Canada immigration fees and meet statutory requirements for medical and criminal admissibility. The Government of Canada has the final authority to issue a Permanent Resident visa.

Thank you for your interest in Manitoba as your immigration destination in Canada.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 3:46 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:

This is what Manitoba needs more of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy
What pisses me off is gangs like the Mad Cowz which is primarly African immigrants.
This is what Manitoba needs less of, these guys scare the piss outta me. Luckily, there appears to be more of the former than the latter.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 4:53 AM

For what it's worth, the Mad Cowz don't exist anymore.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 5:02 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1987 View Post
I find this hard to believe, but if it is true, then I couldn't be more thrilled. Then all we would have to do is figure out how to get rid of the Indian Posse and the other scumbag gangs that disgrace the city.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1987 View Post
that would be great if i could believe it. i'm sure they are just called something else now.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 2:24 PM

HOLY CRAP, WHO LET 170 PEOPLE IN FROM REGINA AND 165 FROM THUNDER BAY!!!!
_____

OTTAWA -- The Winnipeg region attracted fewer people from other metropolitan areas across Canada than it lost to them in the last five years, according to the latest census information. Here are the mobility data for the census metropolitan area of Winnipeg (Census metropolitan areas do not necessarily conform to established municipal boundaries):

Moved to WPG / Moved from WPG / Net Gain or Loss
Abbotsford 240 245 -5
Barrie 40 210 -170
Brantford 50 50 0
Calgary 1,915 5,505 -3,590
Edmonton 1,390 3,875 -2,485
Greater Sudbury 80 75 5
Guelph 60 90 -30
Halifax 405 460 -55
Hamilton 225 340 -115
Kelowna 275 875 -600
Kingston 135 270 -135
Kitchener 275 410 -135
London 290 500 -210
Moncton 125 70 55
Montreal 785 820 -35
Oshawa 115 155 -40
Ottawa-Gatineau 1,055 1,535 -480
Peterborough 50 40 10
Quebec 175 110 65
Regina 800 630 170
Saguenay 30 70 -40
Saskatoon 680 710 -30
Sherbrooke 40 45 -5
St. Catharines Niagara 145 345 -200
St. John's 195 640 -445
Saint John 90 50 40
Thunder Bay 575 410 165
Toronto 2,185 3,210 -1,025
Trois-Rivieres 0 15 -15
Vancouver 2,470 3,715 -1,245
Victoria 490 915 -425
Windsor 130 160 -30
Other 26,475 26,450 25
Total 42,000 53,010 -11,010

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 9:38 PM
Movin' on up

Manitoba mabuhayFamily main reason why Filipinos coming

Winnipeg is a mabuhay (welcome) place for Filipinos who are moving here in quickly increasing numbers.

Statistics Canada data released yesterday, based on last year's census, shows 6,885 people born in the Philippines moved to Winnipeg between 2001 and 2005, representing 28.5% of the city's immigration over that period.

That was more than double the number of Filipinos who moved to Winnipeg in the previous five years, and more than triple the number of people who came from India, which set the second-highest number of immigrants to Winnipeg.

"There is a stable base of family members here. I suppose word has reached some Filipinos (back home) that Filipinos in Winnipeg are friendly and cohesive and welcoming," said Rosalinda Natividad Cantiveros, president of the Philippine-Canadian Centre of Manitoba, who herself immigrated here from the Philippines in 1974.

Cantiveros said many Filipinos come here for family reasons -- either because they have family members who live here or have children and see Manitoba as a good place to raise their family.

HIGHEST RATIO

Another interesting aspect of the census data was that 19.8% of Canada's population was born in another country, which is the highest ratio since 1931, when it was 22.2%.

Lori Wilkinson, an associate professor of sociology at the University of Manitoba, said that's not unexpected.

"We've seen the number of immigrants in the country increase in the past 10 years," she said, noting about 250,000 people immigrate to Canada annually now, while only about 200,000 per year came in the early 1990s.

Wilkinson said although immigration numbers are unlikely to go down, it's difficult to predict future trends when it comes to source countries because immigration depends not only on federal and provincial government policy, but also on the conditions abroad.

"If the economy is bad, people are going to look for work elsewhere," she said, noting wars also make refugee numbers highly variable from year to year.

In all, Manitoba welcomed 31,200 immigrants from 2001 to 2006, about 2.8% of the country's total.

More than 13% of Manitoba's population was born outside Canada, the fourth-highest ratio among the provinces.

---

TOP COUNTRIES

Top 10 source countries for immigrants to Winnipeg, 2001-2006 (with country, number of immigrants and percentage of total immigration listed)

1) Philippines 6,885 28.5

2) India 2,065 8.6

3) China 1,375 5.7

4) Ukraine 960 4.0

5) Ethiopia 870 3.6

6) South Korea 800 3.3

7) U.S.A. 740 3.1

8) Sierra Leone 615 2.5

9) Pakistan 570 2.4

10) Afghanistan 530 2.2

-- Source: Stats Canada

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 7:40 AM
RIP Knut!

Quote:

Can you find out if those people had job offers before they applied for immigration? If it's easier i dont mind coming to Winnipeg

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 9:24 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallo View Post
Can you find out if those people had job offers before they applied for immigration? If it's easier i dont mind coming to Winnipeg
lol...job offers ? All you need is a resume and a pulse. I could quit my job tomorrow and have ten just like it or better to choose from before the day was out. Unskilled workers are always in high demand here. I get paid well for what I do thanks to my experience but there are so many entry level jobs in this province that it's tough to understand why any unskilled worker would be unemployed. If all you wanted was a job of any kind it would take you about an hour to get hired somewhere here.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 12:56 AM
RIP Knut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
lol...job offers ? All you need is a resume and a pulse. I could quit my job tomorrow and have ten just like it or better to choose from before the day was out. Unskilled workers are always in high demand here. I get paid well for what I do thanks to my experience but there are so many entry level jobs in this province that it's tough to understand why any unskilled worker would be unemployed. If all you wanted was a job of any kind it would take you about an hour to get hired somewhere here.

Yeah, but the actual application form on the provincial nominee program for Manitoba actually says that you can only apply if
1) you are a skilled worker and
2) you have a job offer

Why does it says that? it scares a lot of people off from applying in the first place

On the other hand yesterday i was reading about the working holiday visa program between Australia and Canada and i was surprised to notice that it has been extented to 2 years now and you can apply as many times as you like as long as you are under 31 years of age.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 1:15 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Moved to WPG / Moved from WPG / Net Gain or Loss
Abbotsford 240 245 -5
Barrie 40 210 -170
Brantford 50 50 0
Calgary 1,915 5,505 -3,590
Edmonton 1,390 3,875 -2,485
Greater Sudbury 80 75 5
Guelph 60 90 -30
Halifax 405 460 -55
Hamilton 225 340 -115
Kelowna 275 875 -600
Kingston 135 270 -135
Kitchener 275 410 -135
London 290 500 -210
Moncton 125 70 55
Montreal 785 820 -35
Oshawa 115 155 -40
Ottawa-Gatineau 1,055 1,535 -480
Peterborough 50 40 10
Quebec 175 110 65
Regina 800 630 170
Saguenay 30 70 -40
Saskatoon 680 710 -30
Sherbrooke 40 45 -5
St. Catharines Niagara 145 345 -200
St. John's 195 640 -445
Saint John 90 50 40
Thunder Bay 575 410 165
Toronto 2,185 3,210 -1,025
Trois-Rivieres 0 15 -15
Vancouver 2,470 3,715 -1,245
Victoria 490 915 -425
Windsor 130 160 -30
Other 26,475 26,450 25
Total 42,000 53,010 -11,010
Those stats unfortunately tell the real truth about how far Winnipeg has to go.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 2:03 AM
Back from the dead

^Very true. However , it's worth noting that many people who immigrate to Manitoba do so because of what we're talking about here. They would probably stay if they had a larger community of their own ex-pats already here. Eventually there must be a critical mass that makes it more attractive for them to remain here than to go elsewhere. As evidence I cite the numbers for the Philippino community and submit that given enough time said ex-pat communities would be large enough to keep the respective immigrants here. For example I imagine that the Chinese and Indian communities are probably nearing the critical mass threshold that I'm referring to. If my theory is correct we'll see the numbers for those from those groups stabilize and eventually be in the positive column. Just a theory of course.

Pallo,

That's a shame really. We need plenty of people here no matter what they have in terms of qualifications. As long as we're not getting criminals I think we should be taking pretty much any able bodied person who applies (assuming we need them in the workforce. In recessionary times I would expect an exception to that rule)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 6:13 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

They should also make it easier for post-secondary educated people from overseas to able to use their degrees here. In other words, make people from other countries in the world to have their credentials recognized, so that doctors, lawyers, and engineers would be able to work here, rather than go through too much red tape, or end up working in a supermarket or someplace.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 10:20 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallo View Post
Yeah, but the actual application form on the provincial nominee program for Manitoba actually says that you can only apply if
1) you are a skilled worker and
2) you have a job offer

Why does it says that? it scares a lot of people off from applying in the first place

On the other hand yesterday i was reading about the working holiday visa program between Australia and Canada and i was surprised to notice that it has been extented to 2 years now and you can apply as many times as you like as long as you are under 31 years of age.
why don't you come here as tourist (you don't need visa) and then apply for work permit from here? I don't know if it can be done though, probably not...

I don't know if it's that easy to find jobs in Winnipeg for non canadians Jabroni... it's easy to find unskilled worker jobs that's for sure, but having doctors masters ending up working in diary queen it's sad.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan