HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 6:45 AM
Map Guru

To try to get an understanding on just what is being asked here, I created the below image in GE - taken from above Albrightsville PA

You'll need to scroll--->

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 10:57 PM
yes

Saw NYC fireworks while landing in Philly

Just had to share this here, since the rest of the world is too soul-less to look out an airplane window, let alone have any clue what they're looking at.

So I flew in to Philly yesterday from Chicago, on the 4th of July. We were coming in to our final approach right at 9:30 pm, as all towns, cities, and individuals were starting their fireworks. It was truly breathtaking and I wish I had a very good camera to capture it all. But I didn't so I just looked, enjoying it for myself.

As we made a turn over New Jersey, lining up for approach into Philadelphia International Airport, I saw, very far in the distance, a line of fireworks, 6 in total over the Hudson river, all synchronized. After checking youtube for New York's 4th of July fireworks, I can confirm that I saw them.

The lights of Manhattan were crystal clear, however I could not make out the skyline. I think during a clear day, I would have been able to.

I've had some amazing moments in flight, all with cities 90 miles apart. I was once flying into Milwaukee and saw the entire Chicago skyline from 90 miles out, and now this, New York's fireworks from Philly. Super cool!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 1:45 AM

that's insane... just awesome... could you guestimate an elevation during the time you saw them in the approach??

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:48 AM
yes

Here's the exact flight path of my flight according to flight aware. Of course, we were coming from the west (from chicago) and I was sitting on the left side of the plane when I saw New York's fireworks.

I'm pretty decent at guessing altitude so I would say we were at 5,000 feet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:57 AM
Meh

That's insane.

We were just talking about that in this thread:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=192274&page=5

Someone mentioned that they thought it was possible to see Chicago from Milwaukee, and were also wondering about seeing both Philly and New York. It's a neat thread.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 1:17 AM
skyscrapers!

I've seen New York's skyline while on approach to Philadelphia from the southwest. Granted, the plane could have very easily flown up into central Jersey to make its final descent into PHL, but I did see the skyline coming into the airport.

If it's easy to see mountains that are over 100 miles away in the West, I don't know why views of 50 or 60 miles back East are all that impressive.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 1:58 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Good stuff! thanks for posting spotila and chipile

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 1:22 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
Phillyskyline took up this issue from time to time. The skyline has been viewed from as far away as Boyertown, Berks County.

This is a Brad Maule helicopter shot from 70 miles away:

This is 30 miles from Apple Pie Hill in the NJ Pine Barrens:

That is a very interesting photo. The only thing is, Boyertown is only 50 with roads. I would assume 30-40 without. But it is till impressive to see.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:41 PM

There's a point in my town which is 1 town directly west of Newark, NJ where you can see downtown Newark (3 miles) Jersey City (10 miles) Lower Manhattan (10+ miles) and downtown Brooklyn (11/12 miles) all in a row. You can also see Midtown, but thats not in the same direct line of sight.
Where my mother lives in CT, about 30 miles out you can see midtown from the north, and easily pick out major buildings (ESB, Chrysler, new BofA). So I guess that's pretty far but not outside the metro area.
Once saw a cool photo on this site of Hartford and Springfield, MA all in one shot in a row. Neither has a huge downtown but it was still cool to see.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 5:46 PM

If you want I can get both the Bethlehem PA and Allentown PA "skylines" in one shot from Lehigh Valley Airport, If you are on race street you can see both the PPL Building & Martin Tower, ok yeah yeah I know we are the 3rd largest city in PA and we only have 2 buildings that are 20 some floors and 300 some feet tall ......even Reading has a better skyline

My last trip to philly I was on the NE extension of the PA turn pike headed south it was a clear day and I was all geared up to see philly from the point about 1/2 way between Quakertown & Solderton and brag to my wife " hey there is the city" ....and a friggin box truck pulls into the fast lane and blocks our far out view, talk about road rage

It is cool to see a far away shape on the horizion and be able to tell its the Comcast Center, I wish Philly had a few more very tall buildings to look at.
I wish Comcast or anywhere else in philly had a public observation deck, city hall does not give much time at the top.

I heard from some others the top floor PSFS building is open but I never pressed my luck to try it.
Might be a cool new thread "off the beaten path up high in the city viewing places"
-Jason

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 1:48 AM

As for seeing both skylines (NYC and Phila.), it is possible. Friends of mine took a hot air balloon ride out of Van Zant Airport in upper Bucks Co. in 1990 and could see both from the balloon. However, the angle of view was about 150 degrees so no lens could capture it. And, again, in 1990, the WTC was still standing and likely it (and the Empire State Bldg.) were the only points visible above the curvature of the earth.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 5:51 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack776 View Post
I heard from some others the top floor PSFS building is open but I never pressed my luck to try it.
Might be a cool new thread "off the beaten path up high in the city viewing places"
-Jason
There's no trick to it. Just walk to the elevators and press 33. As long as you don't make a fuss nobody will bother you.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
There's no trick to it. Just walk to the elevators and press 33. As long as you don't make a fuss nobody will bother you.
Hav'nt checked this thread in a long while, but thanks for the tip man! Cant wait to try it out up there, I'll keep low key but not suspicious LOL!, So I dont spoil it for others.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast