HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 6:59 PM

Winnipeg 2015

Here is my list of what already has been done is being done or has a very high probability of happening in winnipeg in the next 5 years.

New NHL team the recently moved phoenix coyotes returned as the winnipeg jets for the 2010-2011 season and in their 1st year back won the stanley cup for the good people of winnipeg. It also happens to be the first canadian stanley cup winner since 1993 when the habs last won the cup. The new jets become canada's team selling more merchandise than any team in canada with their cup win and their image as the team of the little guy ala the green bay packers.

New CFL stadium: the bombers opened their beautiful new 33,000 seat home in 2012 and have won 3 grey cup's in coach Paul Lapolice's tenure as coach rivaling that of bomber legend Cal Murphy. They name the new stadium Bud Grant park at Great West Life field in honour of the great bomber coach of the 50's and 60's Bud Grant.

Remodled zoo: with a huge philanthropic campaign assiniboine park zoo has been completley remodled and now rivals any zoo in canada and boasts the world's best polar bear exhibit.

Good and Bad downtown: downtown winnipeg still has some troubles with attracting people downtown but it comes to realize what it is and what it's not in that it tries to lure smaller business and more residential instead of large government mega projects. It has a re-done avenue bldg. and mitchell copp bldg. and met theatre with restauraunts and business offices occupying them. There are also big new projects like the canadian museum of human rights, a redeveloped downtown bay that just had a $50 million renovation that has the uofw and manitoba lotteries occupying the top 4 floors while the bay kept the bottom 2floors but had them re-done. There are also plans for an expanded winnipeg convention centre and hotel, new condo towers built atop portage place and rebuilt police hq just replaced the canada post bldg as well. Red river college has bought and re-done the old police hq adding 1500 students to downtown winnipeg.

New shopping: with the recent development of ikea and other attractions around it on kenaston and the development of the elms on the old winnipeg stadium site the old addage that there is no good shopping in winnipeg is thrown out the window. Shoppers from northern ontario, saskatchewan, and north dakota flock to do some weekend shopping in winnipeg.

Transit and Commerce with a new rapid transit plan already part way completed (after the province forced mayor katz to make a decision on a brt because they couldn't afford lrt)with a brt line running from the uofm to queen elizabeth there are plans for a line for south east winnipeg going from lag to the uofm and an airport line going from the airport to polo park. Centre Port is well under way now making winnipeg the transport hub of western canada and adding hundreds of millions if not billions to the local economy.

All in all the winnipeg of 2015 is a far cry from the winnipeg of 2000 which had crumbling infrastrucure no new buildings or development on the horizon and no population growth. The winnipeg of 2015 boasts 800,000 citizens and is growing at a clip of 15,000 people a year and the future just keeps getting brighter.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 7:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Here is my list of what already has been done is being done or has a very high probability of happening in winnipeg in the next 5 years.

New NHL team the recently moved phoenix coyotes returned as the winnipeg jets for the 2010-2011 season and in their 1st year back won the stanley cup for the good people of winnipeg. It also happens to be the first canadian stanley cup winner since 1993 when the habs last won the cup. The new jets become canada's team selling more merchandise than any team in canada with their cup win and their image as the team of the little guy ala the green bay packers.

New CFL stadium: the bombers opened their beautiful new 33,000 seat home in 2012 and have won 3 grey cup's in coach Paul Lapolice's tenure as coach rivaling that of bomber legend Cal Murphy. They name the new stadium Bud Grant park at Great West Life field in honour of the great bomber coach of the 50's and 60's Bud Grant.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 7:25 PM

it could happen!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 7:28 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

It could also happen that I lose my virginity in 2015 at the ripe old age of 33, but I won't get my hopes up.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 7:51 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
It could also happen that I lose my virginity in 2015 at the ripe old age of 33, but I won't get my hopes up.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 10:23 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Hey, anything is possible in Winnipeg... eventually...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
The things that people share on a public forum....

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 2:15 AM
visionary

a little city trying to be a major city that never could, we are just the bigger version of regina and we like things cheap and done half ass.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Transit and Commerce with a new rapid transit plan already part way completed (after the province forced mayor katz to make a decision on a brt because they couldn't afford lrt)with a brt line running from the uofm to queen elizabeth there are plans for a line for south east winnipeg going from lag to the uofm and an airport line going from the airport to polo park.
Let it be known - Katz is against RT of any kind in Winnipeg. Don't fall for his lies. Phase 1 was such a pain to get going. Good luck on Phase 2; when GOM has funding ready to give but what? It isn't helping Katz's arizona retirement home fund or his friends real estate or construction coffers? Let's be honest; enough of the dance. There's no development in Winnipeg unless it helps Katz and/or his buddies.

Anyways if I was mayor you all would get something like this:

King & Smith can become dedicated bus-only roadways (like Graham). Imagine wide tree-filled Sidewalks, open-air cafes & patios, bicycles, pedestrians, Residential redevelopment... a downtown community and nitelife destination... That would not be a hard sell for those Downtown BIZ folk who purport to improve our downtown.

On-Street routes Main/Portage/Henderson/St Mary's become bus priority access with strategic transit turn-ins to enclosed station/TOD developments. Don't like the fact that 2 lanes will be gobbled up in the median by buses? Probably won't affect traffic that badly; maybe a bit at rush hour. But thos people who don't like it should take the bus instead. Plus limit the number of stops. None of this "one stop every 20 feet" bullsh!t. Learn to walk to your transit station like people in progressive cities do. There. Done.

Got Airport Line? No? I do. From Downtown via McDermot and then along Saskatchewan Rail ROW. Bonus Points: Access to HSC (Major employment centre). Can you say HSC Station? And a clusterfcuk of high density residential/hotel developments around it? Simple. Effective. Next.

For the curious the Red Lines are Neighbourhood Streetcars. People have been asking to pay homage to our rail history. Attn Gov't people responsible for boosting tourism revenue, yes you. Do your job for once. Here's a Tourist goldmine *plus* a community mover. Make it green. Make it Hydro. Win-Win-Win-Win. Oh wait it doesn't benefit Katz, can't have that!

Last edited by Kitty Surprise; Apr 1, 2010 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 2:51 AM

What about the new airport ? www.james2010.ca
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:04 AM
Armchair urbanist

With all due respect to Thurmas, has this turned into a thread where people can make asinine comments?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:05 AM

>five-10 more residential towers of 100+ units for both south broadway/assiniboine and osborne village
>one or two more mid-rise office towers around portage & main (trizec pad/canwest lot/graham@fort)
>further gentrification of the exchange
>concrete plans for the portage place tower pads!
>convention centre expansion
>human rights museum silencing the critics

what else..

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:12 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
>five-10 more residential towers of 100+ units for both south broadway/assiniboine and osborne village
>one or two more mid-rise office towers around portage & main (trizec pad/canwest lot/graham@fort)
>further gentrification of the exchange
>concrete plans for the portage place tower pads!
>convention centre expansion
>human rights museum silencing the critics

what else..
It's easier to hate Jeff...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:19 AM

ya, but it's spring now! can't everyone be friends? ha!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:29 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
ya, but it's spring now! can't everyone be friends? ha!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 4:08 AM

oh and i forgot.. an h&m somewhere finally anywhere in this city!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 4:19 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
a little city trying to be a major city that never could, we are just the bigger version of regina and we like things cheap and done half ass.
Jebus Ray, is this because the Bomber stadium is going up in Fort Garry?

The difference between Winnipeg when I left in 1994 vs the Winnipeg I live in now is night and day - except for guys crapping in plant pots, that's still the same.

CMHR and the Jets back are going to completely change the city again.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 7:02 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
Jebus Ray, is this because the Bomber stadium is going up in Fort Garry?

The difference between Winnipeg when I left in 1994 vs the Winnipeg I live in now is night and day - except for guys crapping in plant pots, that's still the same.

CMHR and the Jets back are going to completely change the city again.
no just an accumulation of things, like a half ass bike boulevard which isn't a boulevard at all just some painted lines which don't make it safer. Never mind disconnected.

The jets thing is everything we dream so desperately to make us believe we once again creep into the top 5 major city in this nation. In my heart I would like it to happen but my brain says it won't unless the NHL payroll and bettman and the american owners and american tv companies change their appetite of wanting a strong american presence.

and a poorly planned and executed rapid transit way, which will never take off because of the lack of density (due to poor city planning). People will still drive because the traffic is not bad yet, and it will take-off 3-5 minutes taking rapid transit way vs the car.

- they've have been talking for years of getting rid of the scum who use downtown as their gang hangout, and a concentration centers homeless centers and people living on social assistance downtown are on the rise downtown, westend area.

and a lack of major private business that would bring us online in competitiveness to other major Canadian cities .

I among the 600 000 other Winnipegers think the same. Thus this is reality of the situation.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 8:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

2015 we will eather be watching a new tallest or have a new tallest either under construction or being pitched in the downtown area

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 5:14 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
no just an accumulation of things, like a half ass bike boulevard which isn't a boulevard at all just some painted lines which don't make it safer. Never mind disconnected.
Those aren't bike boulevards. Bike boulevards slow traffic through speed bumps and such.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan