HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 1:20 PM

I drove by today and the earth moving gear is back on the commercial site. Might be a sign this part is getting back on track.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 1:26 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I drove by today and the earth moving gear is back on the commercial site. Might be a sign this part is getting back on track.
Still looks like the residential part is dead though. The gates have been closed for weeks and the sales center dim lit at nights. As out of place as this project is in Burnside I still hope something upscale will be built here.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 3:49 PM

I could never understand the location of this development other than being on the water next to a yacht club I don't don't see the appeal of it at all.

Last edited by Haliguy; Apr 20, 2010 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 7:33 PM

A friend and I were talking about this project the other day, and neither of us could understand why you would want to live there save for the one view, and Burnside is across the street.

He liked the idea of expanding the BIO/Coast Guard, And I favored moving the Navy Docks there.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 1:42 PM
we built this city

I think it is a good development plan... it sure makes Dartmouth Yacht Club more interesting.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 5:06 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I'm off today and going through old threads. I'm going to beat the dead horse here. NO Changes at site. I think we can finally put this one to bed. Maybe just maybe we'll get something here. It did start as Sheppard's Island and then move to Harbour Isle. If we are lucky this is what's happening again. Cheers to staying positive.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:24 PM

From the Burnside News:

First phase of Wrights Cove project now open Ken Partridge

Published on August 5th, 2010
Ken Partridge
Burnside

You may not be able to see it when driving by on Windmill Road, but the first phase of the new Wrights Cove development is ready to open to the public.
The project, which has gone by several names over the past few years – including Sheppards Island and more recently Harbour Isle, has taken a step back from its original concepts and has started out with something a little smaller first before moving on to larger aspects.
The goal of this first phase is to give some of the harbourfront back to the residents of Burnside, and Dartmouth as a whole. That’s why the first thing the development is opening to the public is the Wrights Cove Waterfront Trail.
Burnside’s newest walking and running trail offers unique views of the harbour simply not available anywhere else in Dartmouth. The one-kilometer loop takes users along the water from the Dartmouth Yacht Club down past Sheppards Island – where the remains of the embankments of the drawbridge that used to connect it to the mainland are still visible – and through the most sheltered part of the Cove, before turning to loop back through the upper portion of the property.

“It was important to create ways for the public to start using the site,” says Greg Coleman, project manager for Romspen, the company now directing the development. “This is the nicest spot on the harbour and it’s important the public start enjoying it.”
To enhance that enjoyment, Coleman says the plan is to steadily improve the trail and eventually turn it into a boardwalk. Right now, Romspen is looking into the idea of adding outdoor fitness equipment to the site and possibly organizing a 10K fundraising run around the trail.
Coleman says the original concept for the trail came from Dan Dean, the independent consultant working with Romspen on revamping the site’s development. Coleman says it was Dean who first came up with the trail idea and it was his simple pencil sketch of the route that laid the foundation for its construction.

Trax Atlantic Developments Inc. completed the initial work on the trail in just two and a half weeks. Paul Behner, Trax’s president, says his crew was given the general concept for the trail, but was also given the latitude to use their own initiative in designing the final product.
“They really bought into it,” Behner says. “They tried to think like a walker or a biker and asked themselves, ‘If we brought our families here, what would we like to see?’”
Behner says he’s really pleased with how the trail turned out, adding, “I’m a runner and I’m really looking forward to running this trail and including it in my routine.”
“The involvement of Trax and its workers is a good example of the collaborative approach we want to take on this entire project,” Coleman says.
As for the rest of the project, Coleman says the company still plans on building residential units – both condominiums and rental units – and a commercial component on the site. However, he wants to take the time to ensure what’s created meets the community’s wants and needs.

“We’re working with local partners to develop the property in ways that reflect the needs of the community. We want to use the property in ways that fit with how the municipality sees this part of the city being developed,” Coleman says.
“That’s why it’s important to take the time and make sure the development really reflects those needs. We’re engaged in extensive consultations with local residents, developers and planners – both local and international – to determine what’s the best use of the site.”
Coleman says the company intends to have a plan in place over the next few months and be able to announce it to the public this fall. He adds that work on the first building, a residential unit, will likely begin within the next year.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
From the Burnside News:

First phase of Wrights Cove project now open Ken Partridge
I want to be a hopeful person. But this has been a long time just sitting with different names and not a whole lot of activity. Could it be that it will happen after all? One year seems pretty quick to get started on building.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 3:09 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

That's awesome news just the same. I'll use the trail. At least that's something! If anything is confirmed the project no matter what name or size isn't dead. At least not yet.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 7:24 PM
we built this city

Old photo

Credit: Craig Mosher on Pbase

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 11:15 PM

I agree it's not the best spot, with no schools etc. But if it's being advertised as a condo site next to a yacht club, next to the water etc. It would make a great spot for others as a second home, summer home etc. It's a high end spot, so those who buy condo's there would have the money to buy a second home etc.

That's what I'd say this development is geared up for the most. When your buying a summer home/ condo... You don't really care about an industrial park across the street. You care about the site itself, amenities it offers etc. If you were to live there full time, or on the side facing the industrial/ business park, then you might care about the issue of it's location.

I could see it being appealing to alot of people... Most of them not from the maritimes at all.

Hell, if I had the money I'd be interested in it... Altough the Trillium is at the top of my wishlist of places to live.

Last edited by Canadian_Bacon; Aug 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 1:22 AM

I took a short walk around the trail;

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 10:39 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

It certainly is a short walk. A nice walk along the water though. I even peeked in the windows to see the models of the buildings that are there. Nice.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 3:59 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
It certainly is a short walk. A nice walk along the water though. I even peeked in the windows to see the models of the buildings that are there. Nice.
Are there models for this development? Is there a sales office?

Based on Dmajackson's photos, I can see why this area would attract mariners with boats especially.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 4:33 AM

I would assume that the little building in DMJackson's photos would be the sales centre and mock suites?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 11:56 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I would assume that the little building in DMJackson's photos would be the sales centre and mock suites?
Yes, when I look at it, it appears to be a sales office. I didn't know that they had gone so far as to build a sales office.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 2:10 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Yes that is the sales center and model suite. There is at least 2 3D building models inside. Its only open until 5 on certain days off the week so I haven't been able to get inside yet.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 3:58 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Yes that is the sales center and model suite. There is at least 2 3D building models inside. Its only open until 5 on certain days off the week so I haven't been able to get inside yet.
I wonder why they took their website off-line?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 4:31 AM

The "sales office" has been there for quite some time - I remember being there at the beginning of the first iteration of this development. Just wondering whether the models are hold overs from original plans?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 4:07 AM

It’s bombs away for Burnside complex
By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Sat, Sep 25 - 4:53 AM

The builder of a Burnside Park area apartment complex has been ordered to sweep the property for unexploded bombs before starting construction.

"I must say I have never heard of such a thing, but it is the requirement, so of course I will comply," architect and developer K.J. Ghandi said in an interview Friday.

Halifax Regional Municipality requires a search for unexploded military ordnance for developments in the Wrights Cove area.

A staff report cites concern about unexploded ammunitions following an explosion in the 1940s at the nearby Magazine Hill military installation.

"It seems like a useless and futile exercise. If there was unexploded ordinance on the property it would surely have been detected by now," said Ghandi.

The developer’s proposal for a six-storey, 70-unit residential complex and adjacent commercial development, facing Windmill Road, goes to Harbour East community council for a public hearing on Oct. 4.

Ghandi said he was contacted by the military about the requirement for a sweep of the property and tentatively arranged to have it conducted prior to his anticipated Spring 2011 construction start.

He said he’s holding off on the bomb search until the project is approved.

Ghandi is an architect and his company, Innovation Architects, designed the development, and his other company, Legacy Home Builders Ltd., will handle construction at the site, located between Windmill Road, Basinview Drive and Wrights Cove.

Another significant development in Wrights Cove is also scheduled to move forward in the spring. Project manager Dan Dean said a search for unexploded ammunition was previously conducted at the site of the 12-storey residential complex, planned by Harbour Isle Halifax Incorporated.

"Just a small corner of our property is within the zone but we still had to search the entire for unexploded ordinance," he said.

Dean said the proximity of this proposed development to Bedford Basin also required an underwater search.

"A team of navy divers came in and they conducted a sweep of the area and gave it the all-clear," he said.

The Harbour Isle development has gone through several fits and starts over the years. In a previous incarnation it was known as Sheppards Island condominiums.

Dean said additional details of this latest development effort for the Windmill Road site were to be released in coming weeks.

"We’re not expecting any difficulties on this phase of development, as a 12-storey residential complex was previously approved," he said.

The developers of Harbour Isle recently completed a waterfront walkway at the site.

"This was to encourage people to come down and see the beauty of the location," said Dean.

( bpower@herald.ca )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs