HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Telus Garden Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 6:46 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

753 Seymour | 123m | 32Fl | Completed

GWL has proposed a new office tower on Seymour just South of the Scotia Tower where the exisiting Vancouver Centre parkade is.

Here are the boards.

•Context Plan
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...ontextplan.pdf

•Floor and Roof Plans
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...droofplans.pdf

•Building Section Drawings
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...ngsections.pdf

•Canopy Section
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...opysection.pdf

•Building Elevation Drawings
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...elevations.pdf

•Landscape Plans
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...scapeplans.pdf

•Project Statistics
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...statistics.pdf

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 8:25 PM

Pushing the loading and parking access further back along Seymour will certainly help.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 10:23 PM

In this project, the north and south elevations IMO are more interesting, "snazzier" if you will, than the street-facing - and more generally visible - east and west elevations. This seems a shame, because it would have been more striking if you could see the angled roof and slope from Seymour,and possibly from Howe.
As it is, the "interesting" North-South elevations are tucked between the Scotia Tower, and another building, before it can be seen properly from Robson (or so it would seem).
The "redeeming" feature af the recessed lower part with the building topping out "rectangular" doesn't quite do it for me. I'd rather have seen the North or South Elevation on that streetfront side.
An interesting extension of the CBD environment nonetheless.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 10:53 PM

Since that building at the corner of Seymour and Robson is relatively short, one can still appreciate the slant look of this new building walking or driving north along Seymour Street. Only pity is the nicer feature on the north face would be blocked by Scotia Tower.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 11:37 PM

Could Vancouver please just build one 40 story office building? I mean imho there should be at least a couple 50 story office towers in a city the size of Vancouver, but at this point I would be happy if even one tower (office) broke the 40 floor mark.

This is somewhat of a rhetorical rant as I am aware of most of the reasons why Vancouver doesnt build taller. It feels like Burnaby is building towers that are more fitting in height and scale to a downtown enviroment then vancouver is. In my opinion.

That said I'm happy to see any pure office proposal on the table.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
This is somewhat of a rhetorical rant as I am aware of most of the reasons why Vancouver doesnt build taller. It feels like Burnaby is building towers that are more fitting in height and scale to a downtown enviroment then vancouver is. In my opinion.
Metrotower III weighs in at 25Fl and Sovereign (the tallest U/C building in Burnaby) is 45 floors. A quick look at Vancouver's current round of construction has numerous 30+ office towers (including this one) and a variety of 40+ residential towers, including Trump tower at 67 floors.

So is what you are saying that Vancouver is building just the perfect kind of buildings for a downtown environment?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 2:41 AM
Vancouver Moderator

This building is a pretty good height...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 4:00 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWester View Post
Metrotower III weighs in at 25Fl and Sovereign (the tallest U/C building in Burnaby) is 45 floors. A quick look at Vancouver's current round of construction has numerous 30+ office towers (including this one) and a variety of 40+ residential towers, including Trump tower at 67 floors.

So is what you are saying that Vancouver is building just the perfect kind of buildings for a downtown environment?
No I'm not saying that all. The difference is a 40+ story building in Burnaby is 140 to 150+ metres. A 40+ story building in vancouver can be as little as 114 metres. Thats what I mean by scale. I'm not trying to diss this building its tall enough that it will blend in with all the other buildings almost exactly the same height as it (and there are many).

I just want to see an office tower that stands a bit taller then all the rest. I apologize for going off topic here.

Also I will eat my hat if trump tower is actually 67 (real) floors.

Isnt Altus at 160+ metres actually the tallest under construction in Burnaby? (I could be wrong here)

Last edited by Infrequent Poster; Sep 14, 2013 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Could Vancouver please just build one 40 story office building? I mean imho there should be at least a couple 50 story office towers in a city the size of Vancouver, but at this point I would be happy if even one tower (office) broke the 40 floor mark.

One solution for Vancouver to build a tall office tower is to have a 50 storey building: half office half condo (without the ugly balconies): kinda like the Sheraton wall centre tower, except that it's not a hotel. Then the developer does not have to worry about office space not occupied.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 1:34 PM

the Globe has an article about this proposal and another on Hastings -

Office-tower boom in Vancouver continues
Frances Bula

Vancouver’s office-tower boom is about to see a second wave.

Plans for two new towers arrived at city hall this week, as investors – attracted by the increasing popularity among office tenants of downtown and its proximity to transit – gear up for the next round of demand after the current crop of buildings is finished.
City staff say there have been other inquiries about office-tower proposals in recent months.

The two new towers for which official applications are in, both on Seymour Street, would use unusual bits of space – a parkade, and a plaza in front of another tower – which also demonstrates how strong the appetite is to build.

“There’s been a resurgence of demand in new-generation downtown office space,” said James Midwinter, executive vice-president of development for GWL Realty Advisers. “We recognize there’s already a lot of buildings under construction. We’re getting ourselves ready for the next cycle.”

More than half a dozen towers are under construction or about to start in Vancouver, including the Telus head-office tower at Georgia and Richards streets, the new MNP tower on Hastings Street at the former University Club site, and a tower at 745 Thurlow St.

Those towers have leased out most of their space, which has encouraged other investors.

GWL, which manages pension and investment funds, is planning to tear down the parkade near Georgia and Seymour streets behind the Scotia Tower and put in a 32-storey building.

That project, which would incorporate a new plaza on Seymour Street and a roof garden on the lower section of the two-tier building, was approved on Wednesday at the city’s urban-design panel.

The city also received a rezoning application from real estate company Morguard this week for a 25-storey tower to be built on what is now a plaza at the corner of Seymour and Hastings streets, across from the city’s busiest transit hub at Waterfront Station.

“We’re long-term investors and we believe in the future of Vancouver,” said Geoff Nagle, director of development in Western Canada for Morguard, which holds $13-billion in assets around North America.

Both developers, in keeping with Vancouver’s distinctive economy, plan to build towers with relatively small floor sizes.

Vancouver, unlike Calgary and Toronto, does not have large head-office operations that demand several floors with huge tracts of space.

“We’ve got lots of entrepreneurial head-office businesses, but they’re small,” Mr. Nagle said.

In Vancouver, as in other cities, many office tenants headed out to the suburban business parks in the late 20th century.

Construction in downtown languished, hitting an almost dead stop in the early 2000s both in Vancouver and Toronto.

But that started changing as employers discovered how attached their workers were to getting to work by transit. In Vancouver, the transit picture got even rosier when the Canada Line opened in 2009.

Businesses that had moved to the suburbs, especially those employing young people, sometimes had to run shuttle services from downtown to get their employees to work.

Several high-profile operations, including Microsoft and the B.C. Lottery Corp., moved from Richmond to Vancouver several years ago.

For GWL, transit was both a push and a pull. Its site is above the Canada Line, and the parkade it was operating was getting less and less business.

“What we realized is that we’ve got a great office-development site,” Mr. Midwinter said.

Source:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle14299827/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 9:36 PM

Quote:

I've always thought that Georgia and Burrard, on the site currently occupied by the Burrard building, would be a good place for the kind of thing you're talking about. The key intersection in the Georgia Street canyon. The top location on a Monopoly Vancouver gameboard.
Sadly, even if it were economically feasible, the viewcones would probably prevent it.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 4:42 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I've always thought that Georgia and Burrard, on the site currently occupied by the Burrard building, would be a good place for the kind of thing you're talking about. The key intersection in the Georgia Street canyon. The top location on a Monopoly Vancouver gameboard.
Sadly, even if it were economically feasible, the viewcones would probably prevent it.
That exact site is one specifically identified under the higher buildings review as one that could support a 700' tower (+10% mechanical overrun).

General Policy for Higher Buildings

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 5:09 AM

Photo of the model at Price Tags (originally from this week's Novae Res Urbis):

Link: http://pricetags.wordpress.com/2013/...ge-disappears/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
That exact site is one specifically identified under the higher buildings review as one that could support a 700' tower (+10% mechanical overrun).

General Policy for Higher Buildings
Great stuff! Thanks for looking that up.
I just hope that when the time rolls around to build on it, that it will be a truly sleek, smart building that will at once make a bold architectural statement, yet be subtle enough to merge into "the canyon," without clashing with the surrounding buildings.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 7:06 AM
Dérive-r

Thought some might enjoy these pics...

Van City Buzz

Van City Buzz

Van City Buzz

Van City Buzz

Price Tags

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 7:14 AM
Dérive-r

Just came across these renderings on the architect's website...

MCMP Architects

MCMP Architects

MCMP Architects

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 4:47 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Nice find!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 5:00 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
Photo of the model at Price Tags (originally from this week's Novae Res Urbis):

Link: http://pricetags.wordpress.com/2013/...ge-disappears/
Quote:
Vancouver’s urban design panel gave unanimous support to a new office tower adjacent to the downtown Scotia tower, to be built over the existing five-level, above-grade parkade. The garage, which serves the Scotia tower and Vancouver Centre underground mall, will be masked by a flared “rake expression.”
So they are actually planning to just build the office tower on top of the garage? Can that garage support it?

Or was the garage originally for an office tower anyway that was shelved, just like the original Bentall V garage?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 6:01 PM

I think the parking garage pre-dates the existing tower next door, so I'm going to guess they will have to demo the existing parking to build new from scratch.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 7:57 PM

I think the garage was always part of the Vancouver Centre project.

The new building has 6 storeys of underground garage (which doesn't exist currently) - so the existing garage will have to be demolished (Price Tags is relying on a secondary source that is probably wrong).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver