HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 2:27 PM
Meh

264 feet

I got an email back from Batson-Cook. I'm actually not sure what role they're playing with this building's development since they provide so many services.

Anyway, SkyHouse Austin will be 264 feet to the top of the barrel vaulted roof. The main roof will be 259 feet.

So this will be 7 feet taller than The Shore. Today it would be the 22nd tallest building in Austin right between 301 Congress (306 feet) and The Shore (257 feet).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 4:21 AM
Meh

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 6:56 PM

This will give you an idea of what we can expect once this thing finally breaks ground. This is the one in Atlanta that began construction in February and recently topped off. If you go to this link and click on Sky House Apartments Midtown on the left it it will show you daily construction photos. The time-lapse is pretty neat. Looks like once it started it went up more than a floor a week. Now if we could just get started on the one here...

http://oxblue.com/open/multitenanthousing

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 10:53 PM

It appears Skyhouse will be the next project to break ground; a crane permit application was submitted to the city yesterday.

Permit here: https://www.ci.austin.tx.us/devrevie...erRSN=10833503

I'm still waiting on an update with 3eleven Bowie. It seems there was a hang up with the plumbing approval for demolition of a nearby structure, but that is in process of being resolved. It seems this one will never get off the ground.

Last edited by bks68; Sep 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Added link to permit

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks68 View Post
It appears Skyhouse will be the next project to break ground; a crane permit application was submitted to the city yesterday.

Permit here: https://www.ci.austin.tx.us/devrevie...erRSN=10833503

I'm still waiting on an update with 3eleven Bowie. It seems there was a hang up with the plumbing approval for demolition of a nearby structure, but that is in process of being resolved. It seems this one will never get off the ground.
Yep, they've begun to wrap the Skyhouse site to keep people out during construction.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 3:16 PM

Passed by last night it looks like they have started moving dirt. Should be quite muddy by now.

I had no idea people payed $5-7 to park in the Rainey Street area. I guess at two blocks away Holly street is too far.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 10:52 AM
Meh

10/1

Anyone know why they're flattening the dirt?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 3:07 AM

My guess is that they are starting the foundation work, which seems odd to me because I thought they where going to dig for underground parking? Unless they build a parking garage right next to it and the Legacy building.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 3:30 AM
Meh

I think I read they're going to have an above ground garage. It's too bad they aren't putting these garages under ground, or at least stacking the towers on top. It seems so counterproductive to have a 25 to 30-story tower only to attach a 5-story garage next to it. They're a waste of land. Also they won't add anything to the streetscape of Rainey.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Unless they build a parking garage right next to it and the Legacy building.
This is what they are building... glass is half full, though, because the entire ground level below the parking will be retail space.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 12:13 AM

Underground parking would definitely have been preferrable, but as long as it's not a separate structure, I can't be too disappointed. We'll see how this all comes along, and it's great to know y'all take and post photos as things are happening.

I'm currently in Orlando, where we just broke ground on our own Skyhouse.

http://www.thedailycity.com/2012/10/...ks-ground.html

"The residential high rise is an almost exact replica, except for a few details along the crown of the building and parking, that the developer recently built in Atlanta and is also currently building in Austin, Texas."

It's a nice looking modern building in my view.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsalpha View Post
Underground parking would definitely have been preferrable, but as long as it's not a separate structure, I can't be too disappointed. We'll see how this all comes along, and it's great to know y'all take and post photos as things are happening.

I'm currently in Orlando, where we just broke ground on our own Skyhouse.

http://www.thedailycity.com/2012/10/...ks-ground.html

"The residential high rise is an almost exact replica, except for a few details along the crown of the building and parking, that the developer recently built in Atlanta and is also currently building in Austin, Texas."

It's a nice looking modern building in my view.
It's going to be like the one in Atlanta where the parking garage is next to the tower. Although I can't really complain about it since it will be adding ground floor retail.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 1:27 AM
Meh

If anyone is wanting to see what the construction of SkyHouse Austin will be like, Oxblue has a camera for the SkyHouse in Atlanta.

http://oxblue.com/open/multitenanthousing

Also, on this page of Atlanta's compilation thread, there's some discussion about the air conditioning units on the balconies. Some are saying they don't like the way the units appear.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...07#post5845307

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I think I read they're going to have an above ground garage. It's too bad they aren't putting these garages under ground, or at least stacking the towers on top. It seems so counterproductive to have a 25 to 30-story tower only to attach a 5-story garage next to it. They're a waste of land. Also they won't add anything to the streetscape of Rainey.
I can understand why developers elect not to build under ground garages vs surface garages when you consider the costs, up to 2X's more per space. I would have preferred stacking the condos on top of a multi level garage over a separate garage so the entire project would have less of a foot print and more height.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsalpha View Post
Underground parking would definitely have been preferrable, but as long as it's not a separate structure, I can't be too disappointed.
Don't get too disappointed, but I am pretty sure its a completely separate structure (in the same development of course). According to the site plan, the garage will be separated from the building by a driveway. My impression of it is much like what Monarch is on 5th street, for those of you who know Austin. I know everyone is touting the 15,000 square feet of retail space...but I think that this building is a hastily put together option for what is essentially two blocks of Rainey street frontage. I am having trouble just accepting it and not being slightly disappointed. And I am still unsold on how this is going to interact with the rest of the street.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:35 PM

Drove by there today, they clear the whole site now which they had large rebar columbs and had a large drilling machine out there. I also saw about 12 construction workers out there as well.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 12:45 AM

Once they get past the first few floors, this thing should go up as fast as the Legacy did.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 1:24 AM

Parts of the tower crane are arriving at the site. It will be a yellow tower crane.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:03 AM

Read this in the Austin American Statesman today; Rainey Street residents have formed a group to protect a Guinea Fowl named Geraldine who they say has roamed the neighborhood for years but its territory is being threatened by increased traffic and construction, namely Skyhouse. Geraldine, who has her own facebook page, has apparently been showing signs of stress since her natural Rainey Street habitat is quickly succumbing to city growth and progress. Ok... folks, if you want to protect her, catch her and donate her to the Austin Zoo before she becomes roadkill or camp meat for a homeless person who might have just learned where their next meal is coming from, assuming they get the AAS.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 4:09 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Read this in the Austin American Statesman today; Rainey Street residents have formed a group to protect a Guinea Fowl named Geraldine who they say has roamed the neighborhood for years but its territory is being threatened by increased traffic and construction, namely Skyhouse. Geraldine, who has her own facebook page, has apparently been showing signs of stress since her natural Rainey Street habitat is quickly succumbing to city growth and progress. Ok... folks, if you want to protect her, catch her and donate her to the Austin Zoo before she becomes roadkill or camp meat for a homeless person who might have just learned where their next meal is coming from, assuming they get the AAS.
Wow! Love you so much right now for the awesome rebuttal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin