HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
A couple of thoughts:

(1) I hate how terms like "SJW", "Alt-Right", and "Ctrl-Left" have taken on lives of their own.

(2) I don't understand the outrage over this proposal. I mean, I think most of would agree with the straight-forward proposition that, as a society, we should not commemorate every historical figure by naming public institutions, facilities, etc. after them. I doubt many would complain if/when the German government chose to rename the Hitler Civic Library or if/when the Russian government chose to rename the Stalin School of Human Rights.

Now, is this an appropriate case for a government or school board in Canada to take such action? Probably not. But I do not think that it is outrageous for us, as a society, to have these sorts of conversations (personally.) I do not think that this is a case of "political correctness" (a term that has become so unfairly pejorative that I wonder if it has any serious meaning any more) run amok.
But are we having the correct conversation?

I am getting the 'whoa is me' syndrome coming out of this. We can't live in the present, because of symbols of the past. Give me a break! We are not talking about Hitler or Stalin here.

By all means discuss what really happened in the past, but I bet there will be attempts to slant even that in certain ways. As others have said in the media, history has a lot of nuances. It is very easy to gloss over that to make a certain point. And this is when we do get into potential political correctness.

We are seeing more and more the 'colonization' card being thrown out. John A. MacDonald is part of that, but so is everybody else who ended up immigrating to North America. But no matter what, colonization was going to take place. It was inevitable. The indigenous population were not sufficiently organized or sophisticated enough to stop it. How can we apologize in perpetuity for something that was inevitable?

I am not sure how you can have real reconciliation if the plan is for perpetual shaming, and shaming every symbol of the dominant culture. This is where this is heading. This is only the tip of the iceberg. How is this going to produce a happier outcome?

We cannot amend the past. We can only make things better today with real actions. Respect is expected but you can only achieve that if respect is returned.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada