HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs Peterson View Post
I'm guessing this is the building on the corner of 30th and JFK.
Yes.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 6:38 AM

Wouldn't the tallest here become the new tallest building outside a CBD? If I remember correctly Williams tower holds that now.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 1:09 PM
Register This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Wouldn't the tallest here become the new tallest building outside a CBD? If I remember correctly Williams tower holds that now.
Depends on definition of CBD. this tower would be only 15 or so blocks from Comcast towers and rest of philly CBD.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looper121 View Post
Depends on definition of CBD. this tower would be only 15 or so blocks from Comcast towers and rest of philly CBD.
Yep, and University City--or at least this part of it--is rapidly becoming what is effectively an extension of Center City.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs Peterson View Post
Brandywine expects to start on Schuylkill Yards in 2018

I'm guessing this is the building on the corner of 30th and JFK.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...-yards-in.html
700K sq feet. How many stories you think it will be?

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
700K sq feet. How many stories you think it will be?
As a general comparison, based on the Cira Centre South (FMC tower) information page: :

The building will be 830,000 square feet in total and is officially called the FMC Tower at Cira Centre South. The tower will rise a total of 50 floors and 730 feet. Once topped out, it will be the 6th tallest building in the city of Philadelphia.

So with it being 130,000 square feet less. 0r approx 15% less sq ft. we are at the 550ft to 650ft range depending on floor plan

EDIT: Based on the 30th and JFK description, it looks like this building shown on page 1, is directly next to Cira Centre. This proposed building has a similar floor plan as Cira Centre. Cira Centre is 731,852 square feet and 29-story, 437-foot tower. It looks like it will be in this range on further review. Cira Centre is more chunky then sleek. Based on the renders on page 1, it appears this is the Cira Centre sister building, but without a sloped roof line.

Last edited by Schmidt519; May 14, 2016 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 1:39 PM

Double post (why can't you delete posts!)

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 1:39 PM

A few juicy bits of info from the first few pages of this thread pertinent to the latest development:
Quote:
Drexel and Brandywine hope to break ground on the development's first new construction project, a tower to house labs and offices at the northeast corner of 31st Street and John F. Kennedy Boulevard, by early 2018. Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...wO7fCeWYAKI.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

Accordingly, the central public space, to be called Drexel Square, is part of the project's first phase. Work on the 1.3-acre park across from 30th Street Station and the transformation of JFK Boulevard west of the station into a pedestrian-friendly promenade will begin later this year, followed by a reimagination of One Drexel Plaza, the former home of The Evening Bulletin, starting in early 2017. The first new building, a 700,000-square-foot office building with street-level retail across JFK Boulevard from Drexel Square, should get under way in late 2017 or early 2018.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...djkLYBH0DuY.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
700,000 sq ft of offices and labs for the first tower confirms that the first tower being built is the "short" reddish hued building next to the Cira II site. That building looks to be slightly shorter than the Cira Center which is 29 floors, 730,000 sq ft and 428 feet tall. So we can expect something in the realm of 25-28 floors and about 375 feet. One reason for Cira's height is the embellished roof design which the proposed tower lacks, so it will likely be under 400 feet.
The greenspace along JFK between the northside of 30th St Station and the proposed tower is supposedly the site of Cira II (although the greenspace directly in front of the Bulletin Building will remain.

I was also reading another earlier post and agree wholeheartedly that the Bulletin Building - or at least the first floor - should be refitted as retail.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:14 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
The greenspace along JFK between the northside of 30th St Station and the proposed tower is supposedly the site of Cira II (although the greenspace directly in front of the Bulletin Building will remain.

I was also reading another earlier post and agree wholeheartedly that the Bulletin Building - or at least the first floor - should be refitted as retail.
Yes, this first tower at SY is the site west of the Amtrak-owned site on the corner, which could eventually have another tower (Cira II or another incarnation).

If you look at the SY renderings, you will see that the entire first floor of the Bulletin Building is sort of hollowed out to allow passage through. The enclosed space that remains looks to be retail and restaurants.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 10:44 PM
Walk taker

So, one last question remains - when will they actually cover the railyards?

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 11:37 PM
BANNED

Open House

Public Service Announcement:
The final open house showcasing the 30th Street District, which includes SY, will be tomorrow at 30th Street station, 4-7pm.
Representatives from all interested parties, from Brandywine, Amtrak, SOM, and Drexel will be there to field questions and talk about the overall plans for the district.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:24 AM

Quote:
A few juicy bits of info from the first few pages of this thread pertinent to the latest development:

The first tower is on the parking lot in between the CSX Highline and the Cira II hole. Cira II is still planned - this tower will not take it's place, but will be built on the lot directly west.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 2:43 AM

There's a part of me that has a gut feeling that there's already a tenant lined up for this one. What they're building here is so unique compared to anywhere, really, including Cambridge. It's rare to have grade A lab/clean space in an urban environment let alone a skyscraper. I just have a hunch we're going to see a big name emblazoned across one of these big new buildings (i.e. genentech/novartis/jansen etc). It's just what my gut is telling me.

Penn has really kicked it's research into high gear in the past decade, and with the Biden visit to Penn post-Obama's "challenge" to eradicate cancer makes me think something truly special is in the works.

In addition, it feels like the time line for this first building is even faster than was initially speculated.

Fingers crossed. Could be huge for the city's economy.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:53 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
So, one last question remains - when will they actually cover the railyards?
SY isn't actually built over any of the railyards. But it is fair to say that SY needs to be developed for any railyards overbuild to be viable.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 2:32 PM

the tallest of this project reminds me of a much taller/sleeker version of One PPG Place in Pittsburgh

Last edited by duffey; May 18, 2016 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 10:22 AM

Haven't read anything new about SY for a while ....Is there a bump
in the road ??
Is there a change in the original design or problems with approvals

.....Words that are heavy with trouble :
" Tinker to Evers to Chance ."

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta here View Post
in the road ??
Quote:
Q: Schuylkill Yards is a 20-year project with multiple construction phases; what are some changes we’ll see right away?

KO: The first change will be improvements to One Drexel Plaza, including the creation of Drexel Square, a public park area in front of the building on land that is currently a parking lot, and a new, modern façade and exterior improvements for the building itself. Brandywine Realty Trust, the master developer, will be using SHOP Architects and land-planning firm West 8 to design these improvements, with work projected to begin this fall and finish within the next 18 months. The building will be repurposed to include innovation companies and university-related activities.
http://drexel.edu/now/archive/2016/March/OrrisQA/a

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaldDeth81 View Post
That's great, but please don't call it Drexel Square. There's already Drexel Park at 31st and Powelton.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 1:25 PM

I am glad they got SHoP. Looking at their other stuff makes me truly excited about the yards.

http://www.shoparc.com/projects/111-west-57th-street/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta here View Post
in the road ??
Patience young jedi. They just announced this in March. It takes time to get things together.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals