HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconRPCV View Post
RPCV stands for returned peace Corps volunteer. I was in the Peace Corps in Paraguay for three years. The one thing I am most proud of in my life.
o cool thats good...you should be proud!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 12:19 AM
skeetskeetskeet

Because I have nothing interesting or funny to say, I'll post a picture I took recently instead:

Koll Center, 655 Broadway & Electra...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 4:04 AM

o nice what kind of camera do you have?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 5:56 AM
skeetskeetskeet

Sony DSC-R1

thats my sexy bitch:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 6:01 AM

sexy indeed...where did you get it and how much was it?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 6:03 AM
skeetskeetskeet

Well, I work for Sony, so I got a deal. It normally retails for $999, but i got it for just over 8 after taxes etc. For what it is, it's pretty sweet.

Takes good pics of San Diego

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 6:08 AM

it takes excellent pics

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 7:02 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sky View Post
Because I have nothing interesting or funny to say, I'll post a picture I took recently instead:

Koll Center, 655 Broadway & Electra...
For a second I couldn't recognize it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 7:09 AM

^^yeah the Koll actually looks pretty good from this angle...its too bulky from the others

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 8:25 AM

do you work in RB urban sky?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 12:39 AM

San Diego A Great Walking City

Got this of Cnn.com Mostly about Madison, but SD is in the top 10.

MOST WALKABLE CITIES
1. Madison, Wisconsin
2. Austin, Texas
3. San Francisco, California
4. Charlotte, North Carolina
5. Seattle, Washington
6. Henderson, Nevada
7. San Diego, California
8. San Jose, California
9. Chandler, Arizona
10. Virginia Beach, Virginia

MADISON, Wisconsin (AP) -- With the thermometer hovering at 22, and the wind ripping off a frozen Lake Mendota, Rink DaVee and his brother Jim decided to take a stroll.

And why not? After all, according to a recent top 10 list, there's no better place in the country for walking than the capital city of a state known more for cheese and beer than exercising.

"It makes you feel better," DaVee said during a break in his walk Wednesday, standing on the icy, snow-covered trail that extends out over the lake. "It gets you through a cold month of March."

Prevention magazine named Madison -- 1,300 miles north of sunny Miami -- as the most walkable of the country's 100 most populated cities. The list was commissioned by the American Podiatric Medical Association based on certain criteria. It ran in editions of the magazine released this week.

Madison beat out the likes of Austin, Texas (No. 2), San Francisco (No. 3) and Miami, which barely cracked the list at No. 98.

Factors contributing to the ranking were air quality, the percentage of people who walk to work, access to parks, number of athletic shoes sold, and (believe it or not) weather.

Number of beaches versus frozen lakes apparently was not a factor. Crime rate, unfortunately for Miami, was.

Adopting a walker-friendly plan 10 years ago was a major plus for Madison, said Prevention magazine's deputy editor Karyn Repinski. That plan focused on maintaining and improving the city's walkability and requires that when roads are redeveloped, they should accommodate not just cars, but bikes and pedestrians, too.

But don't be fooled by all the signs of fitness around town. Madisonians also love their beer, bratwurst and Wisconsin cheese. The city of 250,000 plays host to a four-day extravaganza dubbed "The World's Largest Brat Fest," where nearly 200,000 brats are consumed over four days.

Madison was the only city in the walking top 10 in a state that's not in the South or the West, a point of pride for people like Kathy Andrusz, coordinator of the Fit City initiative. Started in 2003 by Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, the program is a collaboration between Madison city officials and more than 30 other groups to combat obesity and get people moving.

"We're definitely touting it," Andrusz said of the walking rating. "We're definitely proud of it and will be able to use it as a sense of pride, if nothing else."
Madison tops other lists

Madison is no stranger to No. 1 rankings. People still talk about Money Magazine naming it the best place to live in 1998, although that ranking dropped to 53rd last year. Outside Magazine named it the best road biking city in August, and other high rankings have come for its being vegetarian-friendly, gay-friendly, environmentally friendly, and, well, according to Midwest Living in 2003, the overall friendliest city in the Midwest.

Even with all that love going around, who wants to break out the walking shoes in the middle of winter? Especially this winter, with snow on the ground every day since January 14, and an average high temperature in February of just 21.7 degrees and an average low of 7.2 degrees. It also snowed 22 inches last month.

"Winter weather is only a barrier if you let it be," Andrusz said. "It's a matter of attitude."

Repinski, the magazine editor who spoke from New York City, which ranked 39th, said only a cynic would let a little winter weather get in the way of walking.

"I walked a mile this morning and I was walking in an inch of snow," she said. "The conditions don't have to be perfect for walking, that's what's nice about it."

Downtown Madison lies on an isthmus with Lake Mendota to the north and Lake Monona to the south. Stretching to the west from the state Capitol is State Street, which is crammed full of bars, restaurants and boutiques, but no cars. It's perfect for, you guessed it, walking.

At the west end of State Street rests the University of Wisconsin, where students are known to complain about the steep climb up Bascom Hill to the administration building, which offers a stunning view of the city and the Capitol dome.

Even with 40,000 students mostly walking to and from class -- and bars at night -- Madison has a remarkable bike trail system, with more than 30 miles of trails and 110 miles of bike lanes even on the busiest of streets. Not to mention the 6,000 acres of parkland.

Zac Stencil, 23, a senior at the university, said he walks about two miles every day to and from classes.

"You can meet cool groups of people who are walking beside you," Stencil said. "Plus, when the lakes are frozen you can walk right across."

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 3:46 AM

hmm...i would put SF lower...just cuz of the numerous hills...it is very fun to walk there though

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 8:21 PM

Interesting Email I got

I signed up for the email list on Embassy at a booth in Little Italy during the Italian Car Show over the summer. I got this email recently from the developers including a link with a short video. It looks like they have enough confidence in the market to make a ground breaking, just not in Downtown. But interesting small scale project nonetheless. As much as we love downtown, I think we often forget the other urban areas really close to downtown that are defenitely linked. This project is near oldtown and along the trolley line.

We shared the exciting news that we started construction on Stella two weeks ago so I thought it would be fun for you to see for yourself!

Check out this latest video from Eugene Marchese and our construction team.

Click on the link. http://www.stellalife.com/video/video_03-05-07.html

Stella, which will set new benchmarks for residential design in San Diego, is now 13 months from reality.

If you haven’t purchased a unit yet and have been waiting for construction to commence, the time has come!

Get ready for a residential experience you deserve San Diego….Stella will be ready for move in - Spring of 2008. http://www.constellationproperty.com

Let’s talk soon,

Brian Sciutto

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 10:54 PM

Little off topic, but have you guys seen the new Charger unis?

Not "officially" released yet, but somehow a leaked image on their site that was only up momentarily was all that was needed!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 11:01 PM

ugh! no way its definitly way too tacky

Last edited by Derek; Mar 9, 2007 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 11:12 PM

more on that...

SAN DIEGO – The Chargers will announce today that for the first time in 18 years, their uniform and logo have undergone complete makeovers.
Chief among the changes is a redesigned gold bolt outlined in powder blue, white helmets and a newly contoured overall look.

The powder blue framing the bolts on the helmets and the jersey is the only addition of that popular color, which many fans have opined should be the team's primary color. The Chargers will continue to wear their powder blue uniforms twice each season.
“The powder blue hasn't gone away,” said Jim Steeg, the Chargers' chief operating officer. “It's now part of the color scheme. It was not before. It's now part of us.”

The new design is somewhat futuristic and somewhat nostalgic, with the primary goal of creating an identity for the current Chargers.

“It's modern, but at the same time, it's classy,” said quarterback Philip Rivers, one of a half-dozen players who has seen and tried on the new uniforms. “... It's kept the tradition of the colors and the bolts. But it's done in a way that gives uniqueness to this team. It shows respect to the Chargers of the past. At the same time it says this is the Chargers of 2007. Hopefully we're holding up the (Lombardi) Trophy wearing these uniforms.”

A shroud of secrecy for several months limited knowledge of the change to just three people in the Chargers organization and until recently encompassed only a small circle of executives and key players. The 20-month process of changing the iconic bolt will culminate in a fashion show scheduled for 4 p.m. Wednesday at the U.S. Grant hotel.

Rumors about the pending change began during Super Bowl week, and heated up when a graphic of the new logo and a picture of LaDainian Tomlinson from the chest up wearing the new uniform was accidentally posted for approximately three minutes on the Chargers' Web site Thursday night. That was long enough for someone to see it and eventually post it on a SignOnSanDiego fan forum.

That sent the Chargers scrambling late last night and this morning, prompting the team to decide to say later today that a change is coming. However, they will stick with their initial plan of a Wednesday unveiling.

Even now, minor changes are being made in the design.

The uniforms have been significantly altered both aesthetically and physically.

“This uniform is going to be a first of its kind,” Steeg said.

Made of a fabric that is form-fitting yet elastic, it has fewer grab points for opponents, so the Chargers anticipate being held less often. It also will be less restrictive for players because of its elasticity. The jersey also is lighter and has air vents.

The main colors remain the same – with navy being worn for home games, white on the road and powder blue for two “throwback” games. The bolt now wraps around the shoulder rather than being on top of the shoulder, and the numbers have moved from the biceps to the top of the shoulder. The collar is no longer a V-neck but is more rounded. Around the collar on the home jersey is a white fringe. On the away jersey, the fringe is blue. Below the collar, the word CHARGERS has been added.

The helmet is similar to the one the Chargers have worn for years with the “throwback” powder blues. The bolt is simply the new design and the player's number will be in black on the back of the helmet above the neck.

The stripe on the pants stripe is wider, contoured, coming around from the rear. And the bolt has just two points instead of the current eight.

The team's helmet and uniforms featured a gold bolt in the franchise's first 28 seasons.

The team's fourth major uniform redesign – but first since 1988 – also includes a major update of its all-cap “CHARGERS” logo. The new design is less blocky, sleeker and includes a single blue and gold stripe running only through the letters versus all the way through as it has for almost two decades.

Since the Chargers changed their bolt from gold to white and their helmets and home jerseys from royal blue to navy blue in 1988, 13 NFL teams have completely redone their uniforms. That does not include the Tennessee Titans, who changed their name and uniform a year after relocating from Houston, nor expansion franchises Carolina or Houston.

The Chargers did shorten the lightning bolt on their jersey pants in 1992, and every team besides the Chicago Bears and Oakland Raiders have made at least one alteration to its uniform in that time, including expansion franchises Jacksonville and Cleveland.

Most have made numerous changes – to jersey numbers, pants stripes, helmets and/or adding, subtracting or altering a logo.

This will change all Chargers' merchandise as well – from eight-piece barbecue sets to card tables to key chains with the Chargers' logo. The new Chargers' uniforms also will be featured in this year's version of video games.

The team will spend approximately $750,000 to change logos and insignia on the front of its building, the carpet in the locker room, business cards, letterhead, stadium signage and elsewhere.

Replica jerseys with the new design will not be in stores until the end of April, but some new merchandise will be available next week.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 11:27 PM

i like these the best use them for every game!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
i like these the best use them for every game!
i completely agree...powder blues all the way baby

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 12:06 AM

I dont think they're too bad, the blue is much better, more of a metallic blue and not the bland navy blue of before.

I wish they'd go powder blue full-time. I emailed one of the U-T beat writers about that several months ago, his response was, whenever they bring them out its a huge merchandise seller. But I figure, wouldn't you sell more if people saw them all the time? But they can sell their normal stuff, and get a premium price on the powder blues, sort of like bringing them out of the "Disney Vault" every so often.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 1:21 AM

i guess it will just take time to get use to...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations