HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 12:17 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Here is a link to a similar set up in Kelowna. I don't know if it was a success though cause they look really worn down. I imagine snow plows destroy the embedded ones.
I wonder how much it would cost to have simple laser pointers illuminating patches on the ground vs embedded lights?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I wonder how much it would cost to have simple laser pointers illuminating patches on the ground vs embedded lights?
Probably a lot less. At least until the city legal department realized that someone may be dumb enough to walk into the beam and look at the source of it directly, then turn around and sue the city for losing their eye sight.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
The embedded lights are aimed at the cars driving down the road, which especially at night really grabs your attention. Your idea, while good, might not be as effective at getting the driver's attention.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 12:50 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

You're probably right, would be hard to see until you're already there.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 3:14 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Humphrey.Appleby View Post
That laser sidewalk contraption - I am pretty sure it violates the laws of physics - there is a reason laser pointers don't look like light sabers unless they are disturbed by a medium, like smoke in the air.
Looks like that is in Manhattan. Plenty of pollution to produce the effect.

The answer to pedestrian crossings in Calgary is simple: TEACH PEOPLE TO *%$#@&!ING LOOK BEFORE WALKING IN FRONT OF 2 TON DEATH MACHINES.

I swear, ever since moving here I've seen hundreds of people nearly killed, and invariably it's the pedestrians who just blindly walk in front of traffic. Especially in the winter, when cars have more difficulty stopping. Having all of these 30 km/h zones and training pedestrians from a very young age that cars will always be driving slow for them is also an insane idea. 7 years in and I'm still amazed on a very regular basis just how clueless many pedestrians are here. They'd be killed if they behaved like this in almost any other city on the planet (I shudder to think of mixing Calgary pedestrians with Montreal drivers, it would be a bloodbath).

I say this as someone who is mostly the pedestrian when it comes to ped/vehicle interactions (most of my driving is highway/freeway).

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 4:52 AM
IMHO

Why not just have regular traffic lights triggered with a button the pedestrian hits? The ones I used to use in Vancouver worked great. I would add some logic to the light to the effect that if the time since the last light cycle is > 3min, it would cycle the light immediately, unless it was some part of a light timing cycle in conjunction with some other lights. I've used the new one on Barlow Tr. around 5th Ave NE, and it works good, about the best solution for a major roadway outside of an overpass. The city should stop building the stupid flashing crosswalks. Too many drivers ignore them.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 4:08 PM

Re: Pedestrian. I think I mentioned them before on here, but I really like the yellow reflective strips being used in Cochrane on the poles for pedestrian crossings. They are effective, clean and subtle. Ultimately, pedestrians need to take responsibility though - as a pedestrian I have no problem asserting my right-of-way but this is done by showing clear intent to cross and staring down the oncoming traffic. I like the flashing crossing lights as pedestrians always seem to hide behind the pillars in my vehicle. They do seem a bit cost inefficient however (big steel poles, etc.) - I suspect modern technology can come up with something better.

Re: road traffic volumes - comparing the 2008 figures to the 1991 figures shows a substantial reduction in the last 20 years on almost every major downtown artery (in some places by as much as 20%). Perhaps the limiting of parking spots is working as planned.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 5:07 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klozov View Post
There are some pretty cool new crosswalk designs incorporating the latest technologies. We have one in Canmore where not only are there flashing yellow lights at the crosswalk ends, there are flashing yellow lights embedded in the roadway!

While I was looking to see if there was a pic on the web, I came across this really cool crosswalk -

taken from the website:
http://www.inewidea.com/2009/11/24/12665.html
There are a number of the embedded crosswalks in Victoria, unfortunately, they do break easily and the issue would be compounded by the use of plows and snow in Calgary.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 5:10 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Looks like that is in Manhattan. Plenty of pollution to produce the effect.

The answer to pedestrian crossings in Calgary is simple: TEACH PEOPLE TO *%$#@&!ING LOOK BEFORE WALKING IN FRONT OF 2 TON DEATH MACHINES.

I swear, ever since moving here I've seen hundreds of people nearly killed, and invariably it's the pedestrians who just blindly walk in front of traffic. Especially in the winter, when cars have more difficulty stopping. Having all of these 30 km/h zones and training pedestrians from a very young age that cars will always be driving slow for them is also an insane idea. 7 years in and I'm still amazed on a very regular basis just how clueless many pedestrians are here. They'd be killed if they behaved like this in almost any other city on the planet (I shudder to think of mixing Calgary pedestrians with Montreal drivers, it would be a bloodbath).

I say this as someone who is mostly the pedestrian when it comes to ped/vehicle interactions (most of my driving is highway/freeway).
I agree that people need to have a bit more awareness when crossing streets. My idea for flags would be on secondary streets where the cost of installing lights would be prohibitive. I would say that it is a two-way street when it comes to pedestrians (pardon the pun) There are a number of drivers who aren't awar to see the pedestrians patiently waiting to cross the street.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 6:08 PM

Quote:
It's a shared responsibility and sometimes you gotta believe that the driver is going to do the right thing as well.

Nothing will help a pedestrian though when crossing when traffic is clear, only to find an old asian lady not noticing a red light at the crosswalk and driving right through, nearly hitting a few people and T-Boning a car, totalling it.

(I only add that useless thing at the end because that old asian lady nearly hit my girlfriend as she was leaving Chinook last night...so I'm a little on the side of Pedestrians this morning. After she T-boned the car, she hit the median and still hadn't let go of the gas. The police officer that attended the scene mentioned how the one thing he doesn't like about Canada is that anyone can get a license so easy.)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 6:26 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Oh absolutely, both sides share the blame. I come to work when it's pitch black out and there are a couple of poorly-lit corners downtown where I often have to be VERY careful lest I get nailed by a car.

But bad drivers exist everywhere, and it astounds me that Calgarians as a whole don't seem to recognize this. Especially in light of the fact that in a car-human collision, the human always loses.

One thing that would help immensely is if people would get off their goddamned cellphones when moving about. Whether driving OR walking. I don't quite understand what it is about them, but cellphones turn some people's brains completely off.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
It's a shared responsibility and sometimes you gotta believe that the driver is going to do the right thing as well.

Nothing will help a pedestrian though when crossing when traffic is clear, only to find an old asian lady not noticing a red light at the crosswalk and driving right through, nearly hitting a few people and T-Boning a car, totalling it.

(I only add that useless thing at the end because that old asian lady nearly hit my girlfriend as she was leaving Chinook last night...so I'm a little on the side of Pedestrians this morning. After she T-boned the car, she hit the median and still hadn't let go of the gas. The police officer that attended the scene mentioned how the one thing he doesn't like about Canada is that anyone can get a license so easy.)

This happened a couple of years ago, but I was parking a truck and trailer in the parking lot of the Church on the hilly part of Edmonton Trail. Some lady clipped a car, lost control and went on to the sidewalk. She managed to fit in between an abundant and a post. Just missed the church and continued down the walkway with the church on her left side and trees to her right and stopped within feet of me.

To this day, I have no idea how she managed to pull that one off. The only damage to her vehicle was from the original accident.

I've lost count have times I've stopped for a pedestrian at a crosswalk and the car in the next lane doesn't. About 2 weeks ago some dumb broad almost took out 4 people on 17th Ave. Luckily, I was watching my mirrors and honked my horn to alert the pedestrians. Scared the shit out of them, but it was better than the alternative. I caught up to her at the first set of lights and she had no clue she almost killed a bunch of people.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
There are a number of the embedded crosswalks in Victoria, unfortunately, they do break easily and the issue would be compounded by the use of plows and snow in Calgary.
I thought so too when they were first installed in Canmore but they are now in their second winter, get plowed over regularly and they're still working fine.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 7:45 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I've lost count have times I've stopped for a pedestrian at a crosswalk and the car in the next lane doesn't. About 2 weeks ago some dumb broad almost took out 4 people on 17th Ave. Luckily, I was watching my mirrors and honked my horn to alert the pedestrians. Scared the shit out of them, but it was better than the alternative. I caught up to her at the first set of lights and she had no clue she almost killed a bunch of people.
This may be my #1 concern when it comes to vehicle-pedestrian interactions. Drivers are oblivious to other cars stopping (what, you think I just decided to stop for no reason?) and pedestrians think that if one car has stopped, somehow they'll hold back the others.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 8:29 PM

Quote:
This may be my #1 concern when it comes to vehicle-pedestrian interactions. Drivers are oblivious to other cars stopping (what, you think I just decided to stop for no reason?) and pedestrians think that if one car has stopped, somehow they'll hold back the others.
I've almost been hit that way too. Sadly as you are crossing in from of a Toyota Sequoya you don't notice the guy in a small sports car coming up beside him. Unless there is obviously no one else coming, I won't cross, much to the ire of the lone driver who decided to stop and the people behind them. lol

As a pedestrian, the main thing you need to do (even when you are absolutely in the right and should be crossing) is to make eye contact.

I agree about cell phones, I've almost been hit by people turning at a stop sign or light because they were too busy talking on their phone to actually use their eyes and see me while I'm in plain sight.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 3:22 AM

Mayor Nenshi discusses the airport underpass:

Video Link

Sorry - new video uploaded. We've fixed the audio issues.

Last edited by The Fisher Account; Dec 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 5:13 AM
Home of Hyperchange

That video is a brilliant idea. I've never seen something like this (a mayor just simply explaining the whys and hows of something). Too bad the audio quality is shit, but otherwise I like the under produced quality of it. It makes Nenshi again feel just like a regular person.

Not that I needed convincing, but this video just cements my opinion.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 3:39 PM

Hmmm the video wouldn't play for me (8:40 am Friday).

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 4:02 PM

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 4:06 PM

Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure