HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 8:55 AM
Karma Police

The Space needle isn't in "downtown" Seattle, but tourists have no problem getting to it. In fact, if it was downtown, several of those towers would be looking DOWN at the Space Needle. It's better if an observation tower is slightly removed from the taller buildings in town.

Also, putting the SMART Tower in the RQ would instantly make it more accessible than the Space Needle ever was (or will be). I mean, how many MAX trains stop at Rose Quarter? Oh yeah, every single one of them. EVERY Red, Blue, Yellow and Green line train will stop there.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 6:58 PM
Well designed mixed use

I don't think the Space Needle should be the example here. Great building? I think so, but the area is an absolute wasteland.

Plus, don't forget that Seattle has far more tourists than Portland. For tourists, it has far more to offer. I don't think that (or Seattle in general) is much to aspire to.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 7:22 PM

Wasteland? You have got to be kidding... Thousands of Seattle residents utilize the center, in someway, everyday. In addition there are huge changes planned for the center to bring even more activity...especially since the NBA or minor league hockey no longer play @ Key Arena.

Last edited by PacificNW; Jan 7, 2009 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 9:32 PM
Ah-choo.

I lived in Seattle for a year, in Belltown actually which more or less butts up against the Space Needle and that whole little district. It seriously is a wasteland. There are field trips and things to the museums around there during the day, but in the evening the whole area is just frightening, honestly. I used to walk past it to QFC to get my groceries at least a couple times a week and I never once did anything there.

I don't know any Seattle residents that have ever gone there outside of some random special occasion.

I'd hate to see the SMART Tower modeled after the Space Needle and surrounding area.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 9:38 PM
Bears of antiquity

I've worked in Belltown for over a year now and I see plenty of people going to the Seattle Center, if only to sit on a bench or get a bite to eat.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 10:08 PM

I have to respectfully disagree with you nobody.....I have lived in Seattle for over 20 years. For the most part I lived on Queen Anne, and Cap. Hill. Granted, unless there is an event scheduled at night (Key Arena sporting event or concert, Opera or Ballet, as examples) the center can be very quiet. During the day however, week days and weekends, it can be very busy with non scheduled events, as well as with scheduled events such the Folklife Festival and Bumbershoot. It does need upgrading and the city of Seattle is finalizing such plans. They are looking at all sorts of options including permanent housing, re-doing the Centre House, updating (again) Key Arena for a future NBA team, and eliminating the awful carnival and Memorial Stadium. It is a very valuable piece of real estate for Seattle. BTW, each time I have visited the center (during different times of the day and day of the week) there was a lot of activity.....this all in the course of the 20+ years I lived there.

Last edited by PacificNW; Jan 7, 2009 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 11:11 PM

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but Seattle Center is also home to the largest based "equity theater" in the Northwest: Intiman, Recipient of the 2006 Tony Award® for Outstanding Regional Theatre. The Rose Quarter could use "such activity". I hardly consider the Seattle Center a wasteland. Now can we get back to the discussing the SMART Tower??? ..

Last edited by PacificNW; Jan 8, 2009 at 5:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 7:32 PM
Ah-choo.

Different strokes for different folks I'm sure. Both of us have personal accounts so I'm sure they're both valid. I also worked from home in Seattle so I didn't really get out with the daytime crowd, which I assume is where the lion's share of visitors come from. *shrug*

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 9:59 PM
Well designed mixed use

I just don't see it as a vital area. It's cut off from Belltown by some fast-moving traffic arterials, and until very recently, there were wasn't much housing even close to it. There are restaurants over there, and in Lower Queen Anne, but it's just not very vital...not like other Seattle neighborhoods. So I guess our disagreement lies in our definition of vital. That said, if you see the Seattle Center as a good example of urban design, then I would have to question your taste...with all due respect.

Look the most successful neighborhood redevelopments and what they all have in common: people. From the Pearl to Belltown to South Lake Union to Capitol Hill to Tribeca, it has been the construction and redevelopment of true mixed-use neighborhoods had have spurred activity. The cardinal rule in real estate investment is this: money follows people. If you want something to succeed, build it near where people live and or work. Now, if the relocation of the SMART Tower were to accompany the destruction of Memorial Coliseum (Yes it's a great building, but it sits empty and sits on land that could be redeveloped into thousands of housing units), then do it.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 11:08 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
I just don't see it as a vital area. It's cut off from Belltown by some fast-moving traffic arterials, and until very recently, there were wasn't much housing even close to it. There are restaurants over there, and in Lower Queen Anne, but it's just not very vital...not like other Seattle neighborhoods. So I guess our disagreement lies in our definition of vital. That said, if you see the Seattle Center as a good example of urban design, then I would have to question your taste...with all due respect.

Look the most successful neighborhood redevelopments and what they all have in common: people. From the Pearl to Belltown to South Lake Union to Capitol Hill to Tribeca, it has been the construction and redevelopment of true mixed-use neighborhoods had have spurred activity. The cardinal rule in real estate investment is this: money follows people. If you want something to succeed, build it near where people live and or work. Now, if the relocation of the SMART Tower were to accompany the destruction of Memorial Coliseum (Yes it's a great building, but it sits empty and sits on land that could be redeveloped into thousands of housing units), then do it.
not to step on anyone's toes about this, but I think I see the issue you two are having. You keep referring to the Seattle Center as a poor example of a neighborhood, but I am pretty sure that area was never intended to be a neighborhood. It is a great location to pack in museums and science centers. The Seattle Center is meant to be more of a gathering place for all of Seattle and tourists that visit, which is much different than a neighborhood...though there are similar characteristics in both.

Do I think the Seattle Center is designed well...not totally, I like some things about it, but its overall is a bit disappointing, but I havent been through there in a few years. But the Space Needle reads much better being away from downtown and does create a beacon in the city, I usually look for it when I get turned around because when I can see it, I know my place in the city.

I actually wish Portland had something like this...sort of because I hate having our OMSI on the other side of the river. It would be nice to have an area where all of this sort of bunched together....well thinking about it, it would of required better planning with the superblocks at the south end of downtown, which would of made plenty of sense turning that into a huge cultural center.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 11:32 PM

PDX City-State: I don't know whether I should appreciate your "questioning my taste", or not. By all means feel free to disagree with me but please don't make it personal. Even though I find many of you comments on this forum a bit "critical", or "negative", I do read them because they (for the most part ) make me look at things differently.

Last edited by PacificNW; Jan 9, 2009 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 5:29 PM

It's been almost an entire year since this project came to light and it was the last we heard of the project.

Is this being re-designed, stalled, or canceled?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 6:13 PM
A before E

I say this can probably be filed into the "big dream" category for now.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:44 PM

Waterfront Observation Tower

I feel that the observation tower that was proposed on the waterfront of Downtown Portland about 10 years ago should be revived and built. People should go to city hall to convince the city to encourage the developers behind the proposal to have the project built. I feel that such a tower would become an iconic landmark and major tourist attraction for Portland.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
I feel that the observation tower that was proposed on the waterfront of Downtown Portland about 10 years ago should be revived and built. People should go to city hall to convince the city to encourage the developers behind the proposal to have the project built. I feel that such a tower would become an iconic landmark and major tourist attraction for Portland.
As far as I understand it, the developer (Derek Hanna) skipped town after stiffing a bunch of consultants on various projects. I know this because I was among the stiffed.

The whole thing was also predicated on a a shitload of parking in the tower. Not too cool in the current climactic conundrum we find ourselves in.

More info: http://djcoregon.com/news/2008/09/16...terfront-park/

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:35 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
As far as I understand it, the developer (Derek Hanna) skipped town after stiffing a bunch of consultants on various projects. I know this because I was among the stiffed.

The whole thing was also predicated on a a shitload of parking in the tower. Not too cool in the current climactic conundrum we find ourselves in.

More info: http://djcoregon.com/news/2008/09/16...terfront-park/
That sucks you are among those that got screwed over by this guy, I was wondering what happened to him since his name seemed to have disappeared years ago.

This project was definitely one of the more outlandish ideas I have ever seen, though recently with all the new developing going on along the inner eastside, I am really thinking it would be cool to see a new tallest building happen somewhere between Lloyd District and the East Burnside Bridgehead area that would also have an observation deck to look out over the city and surroundings. It would be quite a view from that location.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That sucks you are among those that got screwed over by this guy, I was wondering what happened to him since his name seemed to have disappeared years ago.

This project was definitely one of the more outlandish ideas I have ever seen, though recently with all the new developing going on along the inner eastside, I am really thinking it would be cool to see a new tallest building happen somewhere between Lloyd District and the East Burnside Bridgehead area that would also have an observation deck to look out over the city and surroundings. It would be quite a view from that location.
Maybe revive the SMART Tower.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 5:21 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Maybe revive the SMART Tower.
Nah, that proposal was a horrible idea.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland