HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 1:47 AM
Content provider

freaking large^

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant
Most of the heavy foot activity is on the intersection of Randolph St and Upper Columbus Dr. With the park on podium as for Aqua residnets only, the pedesterians walking on the Upper Columbus Dr would not able to see the existing LSE community and its existing park. Worse is that they have to go thru Harbor Drive (?), quite a long walk past BCBSIL building and 340OTP.
Are you sure about that or is that a passage way on the east side of the building in the model on the park side?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
why? what's wrong if it is private? there's a beautiful 6 acre landscape park 100' away for the public to enjoy. it's nice that the residents have a landscaped greenspace to themselves. do you want the public visiting your backyard? trampling your flowers and what not?
Nothing is wrong with a private park. I just don't care for the fact that if it is indeed private, the podium will not likely have any kind of pedestrian access and look like shit for the street level....similar to Lake Point Tower. Who thinks LPT's podium looks good from the perspective of a pedestrian on the street below.

I was hoping(and still am) that a good architect will figure out a way for LSE to be intergrated sucessully into the rest of Chicago. With the differences in grade now, LSE will remain auto-oriented.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant
Most of the heavy foot activity is on the intersection of Randolph St and Upper Columbus Dr. With the park on podium as for Aqua residnets only, the pedesterians walking on the Upper Columbus Dr would not able to see the existing LSE community and its existing park. Worse is that they have to go thru Harbor Drive (?), quite a long walk past BCBSIL building and 340OTP.
From what I understand, Lake Street will be extended to the east a little bit, and a staircase will be build from upper Columbus/Lake Street down to the park level.

I also think that we'll have to wait for more detailed renderings of the base to see how successful it'll be.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 2:45 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I hope you are correct. I once stayed at the Swiss Grand Hotel(now Swisshotel) and was amazed at how impossible it was to even reach the lakefrontor just walk east.

LSE could use the benefit of some creative engineers.

Also, although a lovely landscaped base will be nice for Aqua residents, I'd prefer the southern half of the site be devoted to new development. Harbor Park(a little big even for me) is right next door which allows for open space.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 2:46 PM

^^I feel a little better. I look forward waiting for better details. Thanks so much.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 3:49 PM

You know, we've all been talking about the base and it's size. I totally forgot about that Com-Ed substation which sits on the site now. Frumie on SSC mentioned it. It appears that the station will stay in place and Aqua will be built above it. That station is quite linear and that's probably the reason for the massive base.

Also, parking. All the parking for the tower and hotel, there will possibly be ballrooms and other things.

If I can't get renderings, I will just wait until the model in the sales center is complete, and I'll take shots of that.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Nothing is wrong with a private park. I just don't care for the fact that if it is indeed private, the podium will not likely have any kind of pedestrian access and look like shit for the street level....similar to Lake Point Tower. Who thinks LPT's podium looks good from the perspective of a pedestrian on the street below.

I was hoping(and still am) that a good architect will figure out a way for LSE to be intergrated sucessully into the rest of Chicago. With the differences in grade now, LSE will remain auto-oriented.
Another coonection will be made at the marketplace behind 340 on the Park, which will have a hole in the center of the structure with a 3 level escalator linking Upper Randolph to the park level.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn
Another coonection will be made at the marketplace behind 340 on the Park, which will have a hole in the center of the structure with a 3 level escalator linking Upper Randolph to the park level.
Interesting. I wonder if it will be similar to some of Hong Kong's outdoor escalators? I can't imagine that working with Chicago's climate.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 9:09 PM
Vertigo City

^ id imagine it would be similar to the escalators that connect Upper Illinois with Lower Illinois by the River East Center... they still seem to work chicago's weather, in that they aren't affected by whatever it is in our weather that isnt conducive to the existance of outdoor escalators.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 6:06 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
You know, we've all been talking about the base and it's size. I totally forgot about that Com-Ed substation which sits on the site now. Frumie on SSC mentioned it. It appears that the station will stay in place and Aqua will be built above it.
Yes, that is exactly true. I spoke to someone who was working on the project about 1 year ago, and that was the problem they were contending with.

On that note, I hope ComEd builds towers over all their other substations.

Also, yes, there is supposed to be a Lake Street pedestrian extension that leads down to the park.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 1:51 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn

^ I'm sorry, but the proliferation of these outdoor escalators/elevators in Chicago is just plain too cool for me to handle.

Nothing says "we're awesome" like an escalator taking you up from one street to another in the middle of an obnoxious downtown full of skycrapers, cabs and buses

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 4:16 AM
Registered

Lightbulb Sales

Does anyone know what the sales velocity in this tower has been like, so far? I hope the public likes it as much as we high-rise buffs do. Otherwise, the next one may be a 90-story Loewenberg slab.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 6:27 AM
Condo Projects Manager

Honte, sales begin April 8th. I hope it does well too.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 9:36 AM

Sort of reminds me of the proposed tower in Mississauga, Ontario:

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 2:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam186
Honte, sales begin April 8th. I hope it does well too.
Oh, thanks. I guess I should read the ad more carefully?

Perhaps they'll do an Admiral's Pointe (or whatever that building is called) tomorrow and sell out in one day?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 8:48 PM

Whoa that Mississauga building is frikkin awesome!!!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 9:04 PM
Condo Projects Manager

Sales started today. Can someone go check out the sales center?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 9:04 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by choyak1
Whoa that Mississauga building is frikkin awesome!!!
I wonder if something is a little screwy with that rendering? In the main page on Emporis, the building looks like a tame Norman Foster rip-off (although still pretty cool). But it doesn't have the irregularity of the Aqua tower...

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=447317

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 9:18 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^Absolute City Centre?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive