HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 8:49 PM

Looks like the tower crane is being installed along the north side of the lot...

http://oxblue.com/open/DPRPhoenix/ArizonaCenter

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:58 AM

Any photos of the Cancer Center? Is it complete?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 10:16 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Any photos of the Cancer Center? Is it complete?
It's not complete, but it's pretty far along. I see the progress every day.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It's not complete, but it's pretty far along. I see the progress every day.
Does it look as cheap/value-engineered as it did when the facade originally went up or has it started looking more like the renderings?

Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Does it look as cheap/value-engineered as it did when the facade originally went up or has it started looking more like the renderings?

Thanks for the info.
Here is the construction cam:

http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/webcam/CancerCenter.aspx

I think in person it looks about like any other glass facade building. It's not an architectural masterpiece but I wouldn't call it "value engineered."

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Looks like the tower crane is being installed along the north side of the lot...

http://oxblue.com/open/DPRPhoenix/ArizonaCenter
The tower crane foundation is poured and the base is up.

The tower crane parts are on the ground on the north side but the crane's foundation is on the east side of the lot.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:41 PM

There's a mobile crane on site, looks like they may be assembling the tower crane today?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:44 PM

UA breaks ground on $136M research facility at biomedical campus in downtown Phoenix

Quote:
University of Arizona is breaking ground today on a $136 million research building on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus in downtown Phoenix, creating more than 800 jobs in the process.

Construction and design of the 10-story, 245,000-square-foot structure is expected to create 500 jobs.

The project is north of the Health Sciences Education Building near the northwest corner of Seventh and Van Buren streets.

The same team that designed and built that education building is working on this project as well: CO Architects and Ayers Saint Gross on the architect team and DPR and Sundt Construction on the build team.

It will take about 26 months to complete the project. At build-out, the structure will create 360 permanent jobs.

This is the fourth major construction project on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus in seven years. The UA Cancer Center at Dignity Health St. Joseph's is set to open next year.

Plans call for pursuing expanded partnerships with industry and multi-disciplinary collaborations with UA's partners in the new building, said Dr. Stuart Flynn, dean of UA College of Medicine-Phoenix.

He said the trend is moving toward industry partnerships, rather than academia acting alone.

"What that does when you start doing it well is then you spin off industry startups and become an attractive place for others to move into," Flynn said. "It fuels itself. But you've got to get the energy and the momentum going for people to do it."

The building will house wet lab space as well as dry lab space, including computational space, Flynn said. It won't have classroom space like the educational structure recently built next door.

"There may be rooms where people can meet for conferences and the like, and it could be used for classrooms, but there won't be intentional classroom space – at least right now," Flynn said.

Dr. Robert Arceci, who is on the UA faculty and also is director of the Children's Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Phoenix Children's Hospital, said this project shows UA's commitment to biomedical research.

"I would look at it as an opportunity to expand the scientific cultural infrastructure and opportunity to potentially develop transdisciplinary science, hopefully," Arceci said.

Transdisciplinary science is the concept of defining a problem and then bringing scientists from different backgrounds to help solve the problem at every level, he said.

"Science should be egalitarian," he said. "I think we can all help each other solve the problems. There are big problems to solve."

He said he is not sure if he will have any lab space in the new building; he hasn't seen the plans yet.

"What I've been told is it will be a research laboratory-based building with core facilities scattered throughout," Arceci said. "It sounds like it would be a relatively standard approach to biomedical laboratories and core facilities."

While Phoenix officials support this project and the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, they also are behind efforts to create a biosciences campus in north Phoenix, in conjunction with Arizona State University and Mayo Clinic Arizona.

That project, when completed, could create upwards of 30,000 life sciences jobs, said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...cility-at.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 5:15 PM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 2:20 PM
Modulator

There's a 2nd tower crane going up opposite of the first crane.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
There's a 2nd tower crane going up opposite of the first crane.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:40 AM

Is that the blue piece I'm seeing on the construction cam images from earlier today? Over on the NE corner?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:39 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
Is that the blue piece I'm seeing on the construction cam images from earlier today? Over on the NE corner?
Yea. It was actually mounted into the concrete a few days ago in the slot where the scaffolding is currently. Not sure why they pulled it back out.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Yea. It was actually mounted into the concrete a few days ago in the slot where the scaffolding is currently. Not sure why they pulled it back out.
Well that blue piece that appears to be for a tower crane is still just sitting there, but not sure why or if they would need a 2nd one for a project of this size.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 5:25 PM
BANNED

ASU law school to break ground next week

http://azbigmedia.com/featured/asu-l...es%2C+Issue+47

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 11:13 PM
Modulator

The 2nd tower crane is up. Is the block really that big to need 2? Just curious as I haven't been down to check it out.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:58 AM

Quote:
The 2nd tower crane is up. Is the block really that big to need 2? Just curious as I haven't been down to check it out.
I asked the same question a while back, but apparently the answer is yes. They wouldn't spend the money to put in a 2nd crane unless they felt it would speed up the process or otherwise help with construction in some way.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:56 PM

The building/site is very wide and it looks like one crane can't reach the other side of the lot.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 4:59 AM

1. I wish the developer behind "the Hub" was attracted to the downtown Phoenix market; their projects in both Tempe and Tucson are tall, dense and urban unlike any of the current housing on the horizon for downtown Phoenix. I'd much rather a Hub-like development be built along the dirt lots on 1st Ave than for a 3rd Taylor Place tower to overrun the Valley Youth Theatre. Random thought.

2. Has any progress been made on renovating the ground level of the Westward Ho for ASU's Center for Applied Behavorial Health Policy? According to this link, it will house a health clinic and classrooms; I hope that at least the health clinic is open to all of the community as an Urgent Care-type facility... otherwise, this is just yet another example of ASU going against its original plan of integrating itself into the community and reducing barriers at the ground level.

https://cabhp.asu.edu/westward-ho

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 3:58 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
1. I wish the developer behind "the Hub" was attracted to the downtown Phoenix market; their projects in both Tempe and Tucson are tall, dense and urban unlike any of the current housing on the horizon for downtown Phoenix. I'd much rather a Hub-like development be built along the dirt lots on 1st Ave than for a 3rd Taylor Place tower to overrun the Valley Youth Theatre. Random thought.
I like the density of the Hub, or whatever it's called these days, but the stucco is awful. Phoenix and Tempe should both hold developers to higher standards and not allow height to become an excuse for cheap, ugly materials.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest