HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

View Poll Results: Which Party will you vote for?
PC 9 40.91%
Liberal 7 31.82%
NDP 5 22.73%
Will not vote 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 11:18 AM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
The PCs announced today that Beth Crosbie - the daughter of John and Jane - will be their candidate in Virginia Waters Pleasnatville. She said on the news that John has volunteered to go door to door with her, but she told him they wouldn't get very far if he did!
Hopefully they get someone in St. John's East-Quidi Vidi. I don't want to vote for Antle or Michael.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 11:28 AM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Hopefully they get someone in St. John's East-Quidi Vidi. I don't want to vote for Antle or Michael.
I don't blame you!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 1:05 PM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I don't blame you!
I should reword that. I don't want to vote for Dwight Ball.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:57 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,326
I find it a bit amusing that the poll bar for PC is red while the Liberal bar is blue. NDP is orange though...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 2:19 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,617
The PCs are also leading.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 9:39 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 3,053
Ryan Cleary is in talks with the provincial PC party in attempt to run in the provincial election, thus confirming what I've said about him in the last 4 years: he's a slimy, opportunistic piece of shit who shouldn't be trusted.

I wonder how much he sold his NDP party membership for. Probably a pack-a-darts down by da Village.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:14 PM
jthetzel jthetzel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Ryan Cleary is in talks with the provincial PC party in attempt to run in the provincial election, thus confirming what I've said about him in the last 4 years: he's a slimy, opportunistic piece of shit who shouldn't be trusted.

I wonder how much he sold his NDP party membership for. Probably a pack-a-darts down by da Village.
I was hoping someone over at NTV had had a few too many Jockey Clubs and misquoted Cleary, but now it's confirmed. I really don't understand the strategy. Maybe I'm naive, but a switch from NDP to PCP, for a seat in St. John's, seems politically suicidal. Is Winsor Lake such a conservative stronghold that Cleary thinks this the best path to maintaining influence in provincial government?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:04 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
I was hoping someone over at NTV had had a few too many Jockey Clubs and misquoted Cleary, but now it's confirmed. I really don't understand the strategy. Maybe I'm naive, but a switch from NDP to PCP, for a seat in St. John's, seems politically suicidal. Is Winsor Lake such a conservative stronghold that Cleary thinks this the best path to maintaining influence in provincial government?
The guy is just an outright idiot. Trying to make sense out of anything he does will lead to nothing more than a migraine.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:44 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
I was hoping someone over at NTV had had a few too many Jockey Clubs and misquoted Cleary, but now it's confirmed. I really don't understand the strategy. Maybe I'm naive, but a switch from NDP to PCP, for a seat in St. John's, seems politically suicidal. Is Winsor Lake such a conservative stronghold that Cleary thinks this the best path to maintaining influence in provincial government?
That seat is currently held by liberal Cathy Bennett and isn't likely to switch hands during the election, so it's an intriguing choice of district. Paul Davis could have pushed for him to run in that district to try and weaken the liberal hold in the city.

It would have made slightly more sense for him to run in a city district that falls under the St. John's South - Mount Pearl federal riding; those people know him and what (if anything) he's done for the district.

In the end, there's no sense in trying to think about the logic behind this move like statbass said.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 1:54 AM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
That seat is currently held by liberal Cathy Bennett and isn't likely to switch hands during the election, so it's an intriguing choice of district. Paul Davis could have pushed for him to run in that district to try and weaken the liberal hold in the city.

It would have made slightly more sense for him to run in a city district that falls under the St. John's South - Mount Pearl federal riding; those people know him and what (if anything) he's done for the district.

In the end, there's no sense in trying to think about the logic behind this move like statbass said.
He noted in his speech that he had lived in the district of Windsor Lake for years. As well, he lost twice in St. John's South Mount Pearl. I don't know which district he could have run in - and had a good shot in - that falls under that riding.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 12:44 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,617
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 6:31 PM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Yup

I'm starting to think I won't even be able to vote PC. Still no candidate in St. John's East- Quidi Vidi.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 8:32 PM
Chew's Avatar
Chew Chew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Yup

I'm starting to think I won't even be able to vote PC. Still no candidate in St. John's East- Quidi Vidi.
They do actually have one. Her name is Tina Olivero. I can't tell you anything about her, but you do have a PC candidate.

James MacLeod of the Telegram has a handy spreadsheet where anyone can go look up who is nominated in each district:
Nominations Spreadsheet

I'm sure they'll have a full slate, but I'm betting a few party staffers will end up on there to fill some spaces.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 9:19 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,617
Tina Olivero owns Oil and Gas Magazine.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:09 PM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,110
http://www.threehundredeight.com/p/canada.html

So check this out....

I don't even know what to say, except that I hope they are dead wrong.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:54 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 3,053
And yet I still haven't met anyone in person who's backing the Liberals in this election. Am I just surrounded by the entire minority?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:45 PM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
And yet I still haven't met anyone in person who's backing the Liberals in this election. Am I just surrounded by the entire minority?
Same here. I'd like to know who they think the 1 PC and 1 NDP will be. I'm assuming Paul Davis and Lorraine Michael.

Anyways, there are still a lot of issues that are yet to be discussed, so I doubt many people have their minds made up yet. I am going to predict one of the lowest voter turnouts this time around.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:48 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
http://www.threehundredeight.com/p/canada.html

So check this out....

I don't even know what to say, except that I hope they are dead wrong.
Through our democratic process we could be doing the most undemocratic thing possible.... voting in a single-party state. I hope voters will realize that an opposition (whoever that may be) is needed for a healthy, accountable, transparent government.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 12:32 AM
Trevor3's Avatar
Trevor3 Trevor3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Through our democratic process we could be doing the most undemocratic thing possible.... voting in a single-party state. I hope voters will realize that an opposition (whoever that may be) is needed for a healthy, accountable, transparent government.
We did it for Danny Williams in term 2. What was the opposition then, 4 seats?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 4:46 AM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
And yet I still haven't met anyone in person who's backing the Liberals in this election. Am I just surrounded by the entire minority?
That's the thing I find amazing.Seems as though people will vote for him because he's not Kathy Dunderdale or Stephen Harper.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.