HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 11:57 PM

The sign is for leasing the proposed ground floor retail for the condo.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 1:19 PM

So I am assuming this project is cancelled?

My parents backed out from buying one of these, and I remember his outside occupancy date was November 2017 and he needed a minimum of 18 months to build. Does that mean existing buyers can start backing out now?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
So I am assuming this project is cancelled?

My parents backed out from buying one of these, and I remember his outside occupancy date was November 2017 and he needed a minimum of 18 months to build. Does that mean existing buyers can start backing out now?
Did the builder say anything when your folks backed out of this? I drove by this site every now and again and the signs are still there but there does not seem to be any kind of construction activity whatsoever.

I don't know who the builder/project manager are for this project and what their track record is but I don't see how it can be completed by November 2017

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Did the builder say anything when your folks backed out of this? I drove by this site every now and again and the signs are still there but there does not seem to be any kind of construction activity whatsoever.

I don't know who the builder/project manager are for this project and what their track record is but I don't see how it can be completed by November 2017
They were still in the 10 day cooling off period, so there wasn't much he could say.

It was a very strange situation that left me feeling like something wasn't quite right. By his own calculation the project was more than 50% sold and he was waiting for RBC to release the funds but needed a few more sales. But when we asked about units that had sold almost all of them were sold to his 'flooring guy' or one of his 'business partners' and that if we wanted that unit we could likely have it.

Its really a shame cause the concept is beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 2:09 PM
Mooderator

Quote:

The signs also say that construction is starting in 2015, if I recall..

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 2:33 PM

Quote:
They were still in the 10 day cooling off period, so there wasn't much he could say.

It was a very strange situation that left me feeling like something wasn't quite right. By his own calculation the project was more than 50% sold and he was waiting for RBC to release the funds but needed a few more sales. But when we asked about units that had sold almost all of them were sold to his 'flooring guy' or one of his 'business partners' and that if we wanted that unit we could likely have it.

Its really a shame cause the concept is beautiful.
I saw a number of red flags with what you described. It was a wise decision on your folks' part to back out. I would have done the same.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:12 PM

The builder doesnt have the sales to move forward. I'm sure he will keep trying but it's kind of up in the air now.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 3:37 PM

So is this dead? The Twitter and Facebook accounts haven't seen any activity in nearly a year. The onsite signs still say 2015 construction and are starting to look a bit dilapidated.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 5:55 PM

Pity they tore down that old house at the corner of Woodroffe and Richmond. It was one of the few heritage buildings in that area. And now it will be an empty lot for God knows how long.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 7:50 PM

Quote:
So is this dead? The Twitter and Facebook accounts haven't seen any activity in nearly a year. The onsite signs still say 2015 construction and are starting to look a bit dilapidated.
Hope your folks got back what they put down and move along.

Doesn't look like this one will get off the ground anytime soon...and the new mortgage rules certainly don't help (not only this project but potentially others as well)

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Hope your folks got back what they put down and move along.

Doesn't look like this one will get off the ground anytime soon...and the new mortgage rules certainly don't help (not only this project but potentially others as well)
They bailed during the cooling off period. I just think it's a shame, this building was an architectural splendor compared to some of the crap Ottawa developers are regurgitating. I also noticed they have covered up the ' Construction starting 2015' part of the signs. Just says 'Coming soon' now.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 7:34 PM

Looks like this project is dead. They are in the process of tearing out the sales centre. Kind of a shame, this was one of the few examples of interesting architecture in Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 1:07 PM

Just bad timing all around (surplus of condos, tougher mortgage rules, stagnant economy etc).

Hope the developer bounce back, I vaguely remember reading an article talking about his background and he looks to be a fine fella.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Looks like this project is dead. They are in the process of tearing out the sales centre. Kind of a shame, this was one of the few examples of interesting architecture in Ottawa.

That sucks, was looking forward to it being built.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 2:33 PM

From what I understand the builder could not get financing although having sold 50 to 60% of the building. Purchasers were offered a refund approximately six months ago and many of them took it in and redeployed in other projects closer to completion. The rest is history and this project is dead, I'll bet with phase 2 LRT Coming by 2023 i would imagine someone will pick up the land and make good use of it within the next five years

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 7:27 PM

I am just wondering why this project is canceled?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 9:41 PM

Read the previous post.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 11:08 PM

so what will they do with the land?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 8:09 PM

Read the previous posts.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 3:16 PM

I read the previous post but they don't say what they are going to do with empty land as sgera said someone will pick up the land and make good use of it within the next five years but I don't know if it will be commercial/residential building or something else? Time will tell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa