HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 4:51 PM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Worst performing currency among G10 this year = Canadian Loonie!

Thanks Justin, weak currency, almost zero economic growth this year and budgets take care of themselves right?

What!! Budgets don't balance themselves?

I will definitely have to inform my partner at our business of this news.

Might have to go over this with my wife also about our house budget

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
So you're saying that Ontario under Mike Harris was way better than at any time under the McGuinty/Wynne? Cool!
It was for the most part, but that's not really because of the policies of either leader. The late 1990s in general were good economic times.

Leaders have little control over how the economy does in this day and age; what matters is what they do with the economy they're presented with. And in that respect I think overall McGuinty/Wynne have outperformed Harris/Eves. Most in the province would probably agree, although most do think it's now time for a change again.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:14 PM

I think the record does show that a subpar dollar is good for us to some extent; my personal theory is an FX rate of US$0.85 for 1 CAD is the sweet spot for us.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:22 PM

"The budgets balance themselves" thing obviously sounds pretty dumb, but functionally it's no different from conservative politicians that say tax cuts will pay for themselves. Whether it's tax cuts or deficits doesn't really matter.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
"The budgets balance themselves" thing obviously sounds pretty dumb, but functionally it's no different from conservative politicians that say tax cuts will pay for themselves. Whether it's tax cuts or deficits doesn't really matter.
If you manage to freeze spending, then the budget will probably "balance itself" as revenues increase with inflation. I think that's what he was getting at.. I mean, that strategy is basically how Harper whittled down the deficit during his majority term, and it's also basically how Wynne eliminated Ontario's deficit.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 5:38 AM

Quote:
So you're saying that Ontario under Mike Harris was way better than at any time under the McGuinty/Wynne? Cool!
Easy there! At that time, the U.S. economy was very strong which helped Ontario. But I have to add that the economy didn't suffer because of McGuinty. It was the U.S. recession that hurt Ontario in 2008-09.

Northern Ontario is a different story and Harris actually harmed the economy here. I'd say the Liberals made bad decisions that hurt those working in forestry.

Today, education and health care are much more stable than ever. And I give the Liberals credit for that.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I wonder if that "quote" has been repeated enough that people have forgotten that it was only a phrase from a longer sentence about economic growth and government spending?

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I wonder if that "quote" has been repeated enough that people have forgotten that it was only a phrase from a longer sentence about economic growth and government spending?
Not the first time a quote has been taken out of the context of a wider speech. Won't be the last either.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 2:26 AM

Trudeau's actual quote was “the commitment needs to be a commitment to grow the economy and the budget will balance itself”. (source here)

Pretty much a generic answer that encouraging economic growth = greater tax revenue, so it lets you balance the budget. At the same time it isn't a nonsensical statement and it is pretty obvious that the Conservatives took it out of context.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 5:22 PM

Interesting article about possible foreign involvement in the Canadian election:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...report-alleges

Not to put my conspiracy hat on too hard, but making Canada a perennially disadvantaged place to do business is a boon to our corporate neighbours to the south, and it seems like a disproportionate amount of money is flowing into our country to fund anti-business activities and anti-pipeline activities and so on.

It makes one wonder why these American corporations are spending so much money on our tiny little country while their country proceeds to build out a record number of pipelines and continually invest record amounts in their domestic oil industry.

Of course, all of this is likely going to be lost on Canadian partisan bickering over "our side versus your side". "Ends justify the means" for "progressives" who hated the Conservatives.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Interesting article about possible foreign involvement in the Canadian election:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...report-alleges

Not to put my conspiracy hat on too hard, but making Canada a perennially disadvantaged place to do business is a boon to our corporate neighbours to the south, and it seems like a disproportionate amount of money is flowing into our country to fund anti-business activities and anti-pipeline activities and so on.

It makes one wonder why these American corporations are spending so much money on our tiny little country while their country proceeds to build out a record number of pipelines and continually invest record amounts in their domestic oil industry.

Of course, all of this is likely going to be lost on Canadian partisan bickering over "our side versus your side". "Ends justify the means" for "progressives" who hated the Conservatives.
And if it was an organization like Greenpeace, started in Canada but now based in Amsterdam?

It sounds like the Tories are trying to make this an issue akin to Russian backing the Trump campaign, but it is not. And despite the innuendos from the National Pest it does not seem any laws were broken.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:54 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
...And despite the innuendos from the National Pest it does not seem any laws were broken.
As much as you would like that to be true all MSM (including those "left" ones) - e.g. CBC, the Star, Huffington Post - are carrying the story plus the claim is supported by the NDP. And as much as you believe in your convictions, Elections Canada is taking this quite serious.

FTR, in complete honesty you would have no issues with American "big oil and coal" pumping in millions over the next 2 years to dethrone the Libbies since they introduction of carbon taxes will unduly hurt their business?? Or companies like K-M trying to keep CC in power since she is pro-KM?? (<< note, I am not saying this happened, but just trying to gauge your conviction)

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post

In the tech industry which is the main high-growth industry of the future, Canada actually has a competitive advantage over the US.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Quote:
As much as you would like that to be true all MSM (including those "left" ones) - e.g. CBC, the Star, Huffington Post - are carrying the story plus the claim is supported by the NDP. And as much as you believe in your convictions, Elections Canada is taking this quite serious.

FTR, in complete honesty you would have no issues with American "big oil and coal" pumping in millions over the next 2 years to dethrone the Libbies since they introduction of carbon taxes will unduly hurt their business?? Or companies like K-M trying to keep CC in power since she is pro-KM?? (<< note, I am not saying this happened, but just trying to gauge your conviction)
I should think that folks across the political spectrum (libertarians, perhaps, excepted) would support an investigation and any corrective action, if there were shown to be a problem, or potential problem. I doubt that there are many who would support the idea of foreign money being used to influence our political campaigns. It strikes me as more an issue of possibly tweaking our electoral mechanics moving forward than some sort of scandal or something that has tainted previous elections.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:46 PM

Quote:

What, media looking for sensationalist stories, say it ain't so!

As much as it would be the Contards' wet dream to have a Russia-style scandal, this ain't it. As I said before, despite the sensationalism it doesn't seem any laws were broken. Vivian Krause has been flinging this same piece of poo at Tides for years. It's one of the reasons the Harpercons got their jollies from auditing environmental charities. Tides may be a group of annoying SJWs, but the suggestion they're trying to act as some shadowy force to keep Canada down through controlling natural resource development is just silly.

Reagrdless, if they close the loophole fine. Just be aware that might affect some pet causes of your own or other Cons.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:20 PM

Quote:
What, media looking for sensationalist stories, say it ain't so!

As much as it would be the Contards' wet dream to have a Russia-style scandal, this ain't it. As I said before, despite the sensationalism it doesn't seem any laws were broken. Vivian Krause has been flinging this same piece of poo at Tides for years. It's one of the reasons the Harpercons got their jollies from auditing environmental charities. Tides may be a group of annoying SJWs, but the suggestion they're trying to act as some shadowy force to keep Canada down through controlling natural resource development is just silly.

Reagrdless, if they close the loophole fine. Just be aware that might affect some pet causes of your own or other Cons.
Lead Now funded by Tides admitted they targeted the Conservatives in 29 ridings and defeated them in 25. They also admitted to flying in paid staff into 11 ridings to run their Vote Together campaign. Their website also makes their agenda very clear. Deny all you want that Tides isn't trying to destroy the natural resources industry in Canada but reality says otherwise. There's nothing sensationalist about this. It looks like you're labeling it that way because you know there's mounting evidence the 2015 election results are not what they should have been thanks to foreign (U.S.) influence. What pet causes of yours are you worried about if this scandal results in a cleaning up of our election financing rules as it pertains to foreign donations?

http://calgaryherald.com/news/nation...dian-elections

http://www.votetogether.ca/report#outcomes

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:09 PM

Are you people really this stupid? Falling for a conspiracy theory? Really?
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Conspiracy theory? I provided a link to their website to where they admit doing what they're being accused of. You must be too brain-washed to realize that you've been brain-washed by their lies. Even the ex-head of Elections Canada knows that these guys influenced the election and it needs to be stopped. If it was up to me Tides would be declared a terrorist organization for trying to destroy the Canadian economy.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:53 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
...Reagrdless, if they close the loophole fine. Just be aware that might affect some pet causes of your own or other Cons.
What a curious thing to say? It almost appears that you will accept loopholes as long as they support your cause? Is that really what you're saying??

For me, I would prefer extremely onerous controls that prevent anyone (inside or outside of Canada) influencing our elections. I prefer the hybrid model we had before with gov't subsidies and some direct contributions (though they should lose the tax deductions) but no corporate, union or external funding at all.

And since EC is looking into this, it's more than just a media exercise.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:58 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
What conspiracy theory are you refering to? As Corndogger said, Lead Now clearly identified that they targeted 29 Conbots with the intent of enabling (funding?) the candidate most likely to beat them. This is fact. From their website:
Quote:
This report is intended to provide a summary of the Vote Together campaign, its results, and lessons learned. We want to capture and publish reflections before the end of 2015, while the memories are still fresh and lessons are emerging, as a first step in a deeper process of analysis and reflection.

In the 2011 federal election, a majority of people voted for a change in government, but because of vote splitting in our broken first-past-the-post electoral system, the incumbent Conservatives won 100 percent of the power with 39 percent of the vote. In the run up to the 2015 federal election, Leadnow supporters decided to launch the Vote Together campaign because of the unique threat posed by the Harper Conservatives to our democratic institutions. Progress on our community’s priorities - a strong democracy, a fair economy, and a clean environment - was impossible while they held power.

On October 19th, 2015, a majority of people voted for change, and Harper was defeated when the Liberals won a majority of seats in parliament, with 39 percent of the popular vote. Despite everything Harper did to outrage Canadians during four years of majority rule, the Conservatives lost just 235,000 votes compared to their 2011 total. They were defeated by a wave of new voters who were motivated to vote for change, combined with the local and national consolidation of the change vote
and this
Quote:
The Conservatives were defeated in 25 out of 29 ridings, and our community picked the candidate who would defeat the Conservative, or come second, in 26 of the 29 ridings
Funny how they had no problems with the second bolded statement, but choked on the first one!

Now the concern as expressed in the report to EC is that in organizations like LeadNow, or others, where is the funding coming from and should the money they spend be considered as part of the overall campaign spend. It isn't too hard to imagine an industry aligned group (say CAPP) doing something like LeadNow in trying to axe the Libbies in response to carbon taxes as long as they don't directly support a specific party. Would that be ok??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada