HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted May 1, 2017, 5:23 PM
optimusREIM optimusREIM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I generally like the Weakerthans, but I always considered this song a bit of an embarrassment.

Winnipeggers are renowned for their love/hate relationship with the city, but this song mainly captures the latter half of that dynamic... to my mind it reflects the late 90s malaise that permeated this place.
For me the song encapsulates a bit of that late 90s malaise but can also be read a bit ironically. If you look at it from the opposite perspective it's almost saying that winnipeg is far from perfect but still a great place.

Haha sorry for the super meta artsy bs english major interpretation but I'm trying get to find some positive. It does do a good job of showing how much people in winnipeg love to hate on their town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted May 1, 2017, 6:27 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
For me the song encapsulates a bit of that late 90s malaise but can also be read a bit ironically. If you look at it from the opposite perspective it's almost saying that winnipeg is far from perfect but still a great place.

Haha sorry for the super meta artsy bs english major interpretation but I'm trying get to find some positive. It does do a good job of showing how much people in winnipeg love to hate on their town.
I realize that, but I think the subtleties are lost on most people. In a way it's too bad that One Great City has become arguably the Weaks' most widely recognized song.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted May 1, 2017, 7:15 PM
optimusREIM optimusREIM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I realize that, but I think the subtleties are lost on most people. In a way it's too bad that One Great City has become arguably the Weaks' most widely recognized song.
Fair. As a musician, I find it to be a brilliant piece of songwriting. Particularly the lyrics.

It's too bad people don't get the subtler aspects of the song.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:53 AM
OutOfTowner OutOfTowner is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: MTL
Posts: 468
I've always liked this one by Ariane Moffat

Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:02 AM
OutOfTowner OutOfTowner is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: MTL
Posts: 468
Saw Boogat and Poirier perform this at Igloofest. Crowd was delighted.

Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:37 PM
Laceoflight's Avatar
Laceoflight Laceoflight is offline
Montérégien
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Montréal, QC <> Paris, FR
Posts: 837
Montréal has always been an inspiration for songwriters.
Here's an article from today's edition of Le Devoir

Here's the (partial) list they published (with YouTube links)

ARIANE MOFFAT - Je rentre à Montréal
BEAU DOMMAGE - Tous les palmiers
LES FRÈRES À CH'VAL - L'Été
BOOGAT - En la montaña
MALAJUBE - Montréal, -40°C
DUMAS - J'erre
TRICOT MACHINE - Les peaux de lièvres
LEONARD COHEN - Suzanne
KATE AND ANNA MCGARRIGLE - Complainte pour Sainte-Catherine
XAVIER CAFÉÏNE - Montréal (Cette ville)
WD-40 - Je reviens de l'Est
BERNARD ADAMUS - Rue Ontario
KORIASS - Montréal Nord
LES SOEURS BOULAY - Sac d'école
VINCENT VALLIÈRES - Café Lézard
RAYMOND LÉVESQUE - À Rosemont sous la pluie (sung by Guylaine Guy)
RICHARD SÉGUIN - Sous les cheminées
MONONC' SERGE - Hochelaga
PHILIPPE B - Interurbain
AUT'CHOSE - Le Freak de Montréal
DEAD OBIES - Montréal-$ud
DUBMATIQUE - Un été à Montréal
IAN KELLY - Montréal
GRAND CORPS MALADE - À Montréal


To that list I would obviously add the magnificient song Les étoiles filantes, by Les Cowboys Fringants
Si je m'arrête un instant pour te parler de ma vie
Juste comme ça, tranquillement, dans un bar, rue Saint-Denis
J'te raconterai des souvenirs bien gravés dans ma mémoire
De cette époque où vieillir était encore bien illusoire...
[...]

Si je m'arrête un instant pour te parler de la vie
Juste comme ça, tranquillement, pas loin du carré Saint-Louis
c'est qu'avec toi je suis bien et qu'j'ai pus l'goût d'm'en faire
parce que t'sais, voir trop loin, c'pas mieux que r'garder en arrière.

Malgré les vieilles amertumes et les amours qui passent,
Les chums qu'on perd dans' brume et les idéaux qui se cassent,
La vie s'accroche et renaît comme les printemps reviennent
Dans une bouffée d'air frais qui apaise les coeurs en peine...
You literally hear the snow falling. Gives me shivers.


Find the full article by Philippe PAPINEAU here.

Happy 375th, Montréalais, Montréalaises et Montrealers!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:24 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
The Vomit Bag.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Tropic of Sir Galahad
Posts: 29,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
Montréal has always been an inspiration for songwriters.
Here's an article from today's edition of Le Devoir

Here's the (partial) list they published (with YouTube links)

ARIANE MOFFAT - Je rentre à Montréal
BEAU DOMMAGE - Tous les palmiers
LES FRÈRES À CH'VAL - L'Été
BOOGAT - En la montaña
MALAJUBE - Montréal, -40°C
DUMAS - J'erre
TRICOT MACHINE - Les peaux de lièvres
LEONARD COHEN - Suzanne
KATE AND ANNA MCGARRIGLE - Complainte pour Sainte-Catherine
XAVIER CAFÉÏNE - Montréal (Cette ville)
WD-40 - Je reviens de l'Est
BERNARD ADAMUS - Rue Ontario
KORIASS - Montréal Nord
LES SOEURS BOULAY - Sac d'école
VINCENT VALLIÈRES - Café Lézard
RAYMOND LÉVESQUE - À Rosemont sous la pluie (sung by Guylaine Guy)
RICHARD SÉGUIN - Sous les cheminées
MONONC' SERGE - Hochelaga
PHILIPPE B - Interurbain
AUT'CHOSE - Le Freak de Montréal
DEAD OBIES - Montréal-$ud
DUBMATIQUE - Un été à Montréal
IAN KELLY - Montréal
GRAND CORPS MALADE - À Montréal


To that list I would obviously add the magnificient song Les étoiles filantes, by Les Cowboys Fringants
Si je m'arrête un instant pour te parler de ma vie
Juste comme ça, tranquillement, dans un bar, rue Saint-Denis
J'te raconterai des souvenirs bien gravés dans ma mémoire
De cette époque où vieillir était encore bien illusoire...
[...]

Si je m'arrête un instant pour te parler de la vie
Juste comme ça, tranquillement, pas loin du carré Saint-Louis
c'est qu'avec toi je suis bien et qu'j'ai pus l'goût d'm'en faire
parce que t'sais, voir trop loin, c'pas mieux que r'garder en arrière.

Malgré les vieilles amertumes et les amours qui passent,
Les chums qu'on perd dans' brume et les idéaux qui se cassent,
La vie s'accroche et renaît comme les printemps reviennent
Dans une bouffée d'air frais qui apaise les coeurs en peine...
You literally hear the snow falling. Gives me shivers.


Find the full article by Philippe PAPINEAU here.

Happy 375th, Montréalais, Montréalaises et Montrealers!
Don't forget Gino Vanelli!
Quote:
(For your love, for your love)
When I think about those nights in Montreal
I get the sweetest thoughts of you and me
Memories of love above the city lights
Ooh, I've tried so hard to take it
But oh Lord my heart won't make it

I just want to stop
And tell you what I feel about you babe
I just want to stop
I never want to live without you babe
I just gotta stop
For your love
Video Link
__________________
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbraith
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere.Elie Wiesel
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:16 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.