HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I went to see Maudie last night. Understated but very good. Excellent performances by both Ethan Hawkw & Sally Hawkins. It was interesting that two out of the eight screens in the multiplex were actually showing unabashedly Canadian films (the other being Bon Cop Bad Cop 2).

Maudie has been out for the last several weeks here in Atlantic Canada, and managed to be the second highest grossing movie in the region during it's first week of release. Hopefully it'll get a much broader release later in it's run.
I thought the acting performances in "Maudie" were very fine.

By the way, the on-line bidding for the Maud Lewis painting discovered recently in a New Hamburg, ON thrift shop has reached $45,000. That would double the highest price ever paid for a Maud Lewis work, iinm.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 11:23 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

VOCM had a brief up about the name of a park in PEI including the name Amherst is causing controversy because the man advocated genocide of indigenous people.

They said our Fort Amherst in St. John's is fine because it's named after a different guy.

PEI's is Jeffrey. Ours is William, and he defeated the French in the Battle of Signal Hill in 1762.

But then it points out they were brothers lol. It's probably likely their views weren't that different.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
VOCM had a brief up about the name of a park in PEI including the name Amherst is causing controversy because the man advocated genocide of indigenous people.

They said our Fort Amherst in St. John's is fine because it's named after a different guy.

PEI's is Jeffrey. Ours is William, and he defeated the French in the Battle of Signal Hill in 1762.

But then it points out they were brothers lol. It's probably likely their views weren't that different.
Amherst NS and Amherstburg ON are also named in honour of Jeffrey Amherst. It occurs to me that Amherst St in Montreal might have the same origin. There is a similar controversy about the name of the Langevin Block in Ottawa, which houses the Prime Ministers Office (Langevin was a creator of residential schools). To me, rather than trying to whitewash our history by eliminating the names of people considered unsavoury by contemporary society, it would be better to put up a plaque acknowledging the acts of the individual concerned.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 1:28 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Amherst NS and Amherstburg ON are also named in honour of Jeffrey Amherst. It occurs to me that Amherst St in Montreal might have the same origin. There is a similar controversy about the name of the Langevin Block in Ottawa, which houses the Prime Ministers Office (Langevin was a creator of residential schools). To me, rather than trying to whitewash our history by eliminating the names of people considered unsavoury by contemporary society, it would be better to put up a plaque acknowledging the acts of the individual concerned.
I have found this idea appealling as well but it still means that these people are "honoured" with having something major named for them.

Then of course, you can do like the Acadians and put your university in the city named for one of the main guys behind your people's ethnic cleansing (Monckton), and then go even further and even name your university after the guy!

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:46 PM
Montérégien

Parenthèse.

( All the church bells are simultaneously ringing right now in Montréal for the city's 375th birthday )

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:52 AM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
Parenthèse.

( All the church bells are simultaneously ringing right now in Montréal for the city's 375th birthday )
That is cool.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 1:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
Parenthèse.

awesome. Any videos that capture this?

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 4:56 AM

these are older but still interesting

more at source

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 3:51 PM

^Diabetes and obesity, what a strange correlation.... Don't bring it up though, people get mad when you point out our province is fat.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 5:59 AM
Go Preds!

Bon Cop Bad Cop 2 with an opening weekend box office of $1 095 814 in Quebec and $1.3M in Canada.

http://www.lapresse.ca/cinema/nouvel...box-office.php

Slightly behind the $1 433 259 on opening weekend of the 2006 movie.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 2:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They expect Maudie to take in over $2M in Atlantic Canada alone.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:02 PM
Go Preds!

After 2 weeks:

Bon Cop Bad Cop 2: 2.5M gross in Quebec, 0.5M gross ROC for a total of $3M after 2 weeks.

Bon Cop Bad Cop had $3.4M after 2 weeks.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:53 PM

Montreal's Six Flags newest attraction.

Source

Last edited by Martin Mtl; May 26, 2017 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 7:50 PM

Very good news for the Charlevoix region (thus the Quebec City Region): the next G7 meeting will be held at Le Manoir Richelieu, quite a gorgeous setting for this meeting and quite a touristic boost for the region.

Quote:
Canada to host 2018 G7 meeting in small Quebec town

Canada will play host to next year's meeting of G7 leaders at a remote luxury resort in the Charlevoix region of Quebec, The Canadian Press has learned.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expected to make the announcement at some point during this year's G7 meetings, which get underway Friday in Sicily.

Caroline Simard, the Liberal MP for the region, said she obtained "unofficial confirmation," while a second source told The Canadian Press that the event would take place in the town of La Malbaie, 150 kilometres northeast of Quebec City.
Simard -- who represents the riding of Charlevoix-Cote-de-Beaupre -- said such an event would bring economic benefits, as well as international media coverage sure to breathe new life into the region's tourism industry.
"It's very exceptional for Charlevoix," she said, noting that it would also demand an intense focus on security.

"Such events mean not only enormous economic spinoffs but also spinoffs for tourism. More than a thousand journalists usually get involved in this type of event, so this would mean an exceptional opportunity to showcase Charlevoix."
The region is known for being very popular with tourists because of its rolling hills and lush greenery. One particularly popular spot is Tadoussac, where visitors gather to go whale-watching in the St. Lawrence estuary and the Saguenay fjord.
[...]
http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/quebec-r...ings-1.3429437

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/act...e-securite.php

http://www.fairmont.fr/richelieu-charlevoix/

Last edited by davidivivid; May 26, 2017 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 8:31 PM
Look at me!

Yes, because G7 meetings traditionally bring about economic boosts and peace and harmony to the places that host them?

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Yes, because G7 meetings traditionally bring about economic boosts and peace and harmony to the places that host them?
I wonder if protesters will be allowed anywhere near La Malbaie, or whether they'll be corralled in Quebec City, where one assumes the media will be based?

As an aside, I wonder how this came out in the press (with a Liberal MP commenting) before the PM got to announce it at the G-7 in Italy?

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 12:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This one cracked me up.

Why Live in Newfoundland? A Great, Terrible Question

Quote:
Every now and then, someone—either sincerely or ironically, and sometimes, somehow, both—asks me "why does anyone live in Newfoundland?" I often ask this question myself. I am still working on the answer.

There is graffiti scrawled on the steps near the War Memorial in St. John's that reads "summer is short here don't mess it up." I don't know when it first appeared.

The graffiti reminded me of the pressure to enjoy the sunshine, which made it impossible in the same way a good New Year's Eve is impossible. My angsty contrarian melancholy would have no truck with it. This habit of surliness is as deeply ingrained in the culture as all the vernacular chastising it. Yer crooked as sin today, Drew Brown. Come out now and get the smell of the house off ya.

I am less crooked these days. Or I try, anyway—with a greater degree of success.

But a big part of it, I think, is that I survived my first Newfoundland winter in more than four years.

It is easy—and gets easier, the further and longer you are away—to fall into the trap of romanticizing the place. It's a cultural duty to put up a good front while you are a member of the diaspora—the secret fraternal order of Newfoundlanders abroad, every one of us an ambassador of our secret nation, every apartment an embassy. Call it the eternal sunshine of the expat mind.

That first year home, though. November comes and quickly reminds you that the only effective game in town is ambivalence. Not a wishy-washy, 'could go either way' ambivalence, either—I mean the full-throated Freudian abyss of feeling, a simultaneously intense love and hate, an emotional ouroboros cannibalizing itself, a drive to burrow yourself ever further into the beloved even as you're straining away from the claustrophobia of it all.

The Newfoundland winter—both literal and figurative—is enough to break a man. It is always worse than you remember and never ends. You cannot prepare for the wet snow, or the endless freeze-thaw that opens fissures in the pavement and destroys the rims on your tires, or the garbage.

The garbage—my God. Piles of trash accumulating across every surface. Garbage on field and in the water and in the woods, the great wave of garbage swelling up from the pit of human horror called George Street, garbage going up in thick, putrid smoke in the endless dumpster fire at Confederation Building, garbage in great endless heaps along the roads stretching from one vulgar North American suburb to another, tossed carelessly from car windows by people who can neither drive nor think 10 seconds into the future, people who make you doubt the Enlightenment project and an orderly universe and a benevolent God. Lord thundering Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, deliver us from evil.

Why indeed, you wonder in the darkness of a February afternoon, did my ancestors decide to overwinter on this blasted rock instead of Halifax or Boston? Are we sure Australia was the penal colony?

As is its way, grace is in the small things. The late night dinner with friends in their old downtown kitchen. An after-hours party and a shared bottle of wine between a random assemblage of strangers that has all of you dying at each other until the first rays of dawn. A peaceful breakfast around the bay with your spouse. Trans-generational games of cards and Dick Surgery drone shows at the Peter E. Date night at Jungle Jim's and sea ice stretching on for miles along the southern shore. The three minute drive from your mass-manufactured house in the centre of the city to a serene and rugged barren at the edge of civilization.
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/w...ampaign=global

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 11:07 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh how the mighty have fallen. A long way from hauling down the Canadian flags and fighting with Harper hehe.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 3:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, the SPCA in Clarenville offers dogs from St-Pierre et Miquelon. They have their own French passports, and respond to French commands, and are very popular with francophone Newfoundlanders. That's just the cutest thing.

Anglophones can adopt them too, and they learn to respond to English commands through the owner using the same hand gestures and saying the French and English commands at the same time. So wag a finger and say "Ici! Come!"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada