HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:30 AM
C'est quoi l'affaire?

You guys mean, like, Medicare?

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:34 PM

It's amazing how many Alberta plates are on the roads around Vancouver. A lot of oilpatch refugees must have come looking for construction jobs.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
^^too bad the rest of Canada doesn't have a clue what it's missing

Rest of Canada should start by getting its act together & get rid of Daylight Savings Time just like Sask
the sun would rise at 3h30am in Montréal. inacceptable

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 10:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Daylight Saving Time needs to go. And we need to add an hour to our time zone.

It's weird that, heading East to West, it's:

NYC: 9 a.m.
Halifax: 10 a.m.
St-Pierre and Miquelon: 11 a.m.
St. John's: 10:30 a.m.

We need to keep the 30 minutes to maintain our quirks, but it really should be 11:30, not 10:30.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:10 AM

Quote:
^^too bad the rest of Canada doesn't have a clue what it's missing

Rest of Canada should start by getting its act together & get rid of Daylight Savings Time just like Sask
Again, my point was not in anyway to insult Saskatchewan but simply state that what happens in SK very rarely effects national policy unlike Ontario. Remember that when Ontario does something that means it effects nearly 40% of the national population. National economic, social, political, financial, cultural, and media policy are essentially set in Ontario and Quebec with Alberta a distant third.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:35 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
...National economic, social, political, financial, cultural, and media policy are essentially set in Ontario and Quebec with Alberta a distant third.
Not that I disagree with you, but specific examples of how changes first realized in Ontario that then percolated throughout Canada and defined policy/actions/behaviour elsewhere would help your claim.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Not that I disagree with you, but specific examples of how changes first realized in Ontario that then percolated throughout Canada and defined policy/actions/behaviour elsewhere would help your claim.
Changes initially realized in Ontario probably originated else where but it's perceived as starting in Ontario for all anyone knows, therefore Ontario is considered the "trendsetter" by default.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Changes initially realized in Ontario probably originated else where but it's perceived as starting in Ontario for all anyone knows, therefore Ontario is considered the "trendsetter" by default.
Yeah, sure, that's gotta be it!

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:25 PM

^^Duhhhhh, I need a grade 13 in Ontario to learn what the rest of Canada can learn in 12 years..

..speaking of trends the rest of Canada doesn't follow from Ontario..those crazy Ontario trendsetting trendsetters

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
^^Duhhhhh, I need a grade 13 in Ontario to learn what the rest of Canada can learn in 12 years..

..speaking of trends the rest of Canada doesn't follow from Ontario..those crazy Ontario trendsetting trendsetters
Grade 13? What decade are you in?

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Daylight Saving Time needs to go. And we need to add an hour to our time zone.

It's weird that, heading East to West, it's:

NYC: 9 a.m.
Halifax: 10 a.m.
St-Pierre and Miquelon: 11 a.m.
St. John's: 10:30 a.m.

We need to keep the 30 minutes to maintain our quirks, but it really should be 11:30, not 10:30.

While our half hour time zone is silly, St. Pierre really are the ones who need to get their shit together. They really don't belong ahead of us; either they join our time zone or we join theirs. Being 90 minutes ahead of Halifax would really throw off our night/day cycle; 10 pm sunset on the solstice is a bit extreme for our latitude.

Actually, now I see that on the solstice the difference between our sunset and the sunset in Halifax is only 1 minute. Maybe our half hour time zone is actually useful. Get it together, St. Pierre, join the master race time zone.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskscraper View Post
^^duhhhhh, i need a grade 13 in ontario to learn what the rest of canada can learn in 12 years..

..speaking of trends the rest of canada doesn't follow from ontario..those crazy ontario trendsetting trendsetters :p
13% on your knowledge of secondary school in Ontario.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
A recent example would be the CPP expansion. Ontario pushed it, started to implement it's own provincial program, then from there the CPP deal was signed on the national level.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 5:18 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
A recent example would be the CPP expansion. Ontario pushed it, started to implement it's own provincial program, then from there the CPP deal was signed on the national level.
Hmmm, that's a bit of a stretch. In 2008-2010, Flaherty chaired a number of federal-provincial meetings to address CPP expansion including both mandatory and voluntary increases. The positions amongst the provinces were mixed (some favoured voluntary, same mandatory, some no change) and the Conbots nixed it on many ideological positions (though that didn't stop Oliver from proposing it later) but the federal Libbies always supported it. The Ont Libbies then proposed it as part of their election platform, won and started to implement it. The Federal Libbies always said they were going to introduce it so when they did I don't think you can say it was due to Ont Libbies leading the way. There are many debates in Hansard with the Federal Libbies arguing for this well before the Ont Libbies took the mantle.

Now if QC, BC or some other province adopted it, or the Federal Libbies only got interested after ON did it, I think it would qualify, but as is, i think it's a stretch to say "Ontario led the charge". Hell if anyone led the charge it was the CLC which "convinced most" of the provinces at the 2010 meeting on pension reform to get on board and push the expansion to the Feds.

Added a link to Iggie's proposals from 2011 - well before the OLP announced ORIP:
Quote:
Liberals would expand CPP benefits: Ignatieff

A Liberal government would expand Canada Pension Plan benefits and boost the Guaranteed Income Supplement by $700-million a year to enhance retirement security, party leader Michael Ignatieff announced on Wednesday.

Speaking in Vancouver, Ignatieff said he would work with the provinces for a gradual increase in premiums and benefits under the CPP....
Wynne didn't propose her plan until 2014

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I'm always a bit surprised that doctors haven't collectively put their foot down and refused to issue "doctor's note's". Such a waste resources, istm.
They get paid to issue the doctors notes. Most doctors here charge for it or when they get the visit they get to charge the government for it.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, that's a bit of a stretch. In 2008-2010, Flaherty chaired a number of federal-provincial meetings to address CPP expansion including both mandatory and voluntary increases. The positions amongst the provinces were mixed (some favoured voluntary, same mandatory, some no change) and the Conbots nixed it on many ideological positions (though that didn't stop Oliver from proposing it later) but the federal Libbies always supported it. The Ont Libbies then proposed it as part of their election platform, won and started to implement it. The Federal Libbies always said they were going to introduce it so when they did I don't think you can say it was due to Ont Libbies leading the way. There are many debates in Hansard with the Federal Libbies arguing for this well before the Ont Libbies took the mantle.

Now if QC, BC or some other province adopted it, or the Federal Libbies only got interested after ON did it, I think it would qualify, but as is, i think it's a stretch to say "Ontario led the charge". Hell if anyone led the charge it was the CLC which "convinced most" of the provinces at the 2010 meeting on pension reform to get on board and push the expansion to the Feds.

Added a link to Iggie's proposals from 2011 - well before the OLP announced ORIP:

Wynne didn't propose her plan until 2014
I recall there being talk here in Alberta when Ed Stelmach first became Premier so 2007 or 2008 about reforming Alberta Pensions including opting out of the CPP and creating an APP. For Alberta residents this would cut our payments by 20% due to a younger population than the rest of Canada so why not opt out of the CPP which needed to be reformed. Alberta did end up creating AIMCO but with the talk of opting out of CPP and increasing everyone elses premiums talk started on the federal level which again would be before the Ontario liberals.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It's amazing how many Alberta plates are on the roads around Vancouver. A lot of oilpatch refugees must have come looking for construction jobs.
Or you know it could just be people visiting, considering the dollar is so shit its not worth going to the US. But that would be less inflammatory...

Most people I know are vacationing within Canada these days. I was out there over easter with my Alberta plates.. Not a refugee.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Or you know it could just be people visiting, considering the dollar is so shit its not worth going to the US. But that would be less inflammatory...

Most people I know are vacationing within Canada these days. I was out there over easter with my Alberta plates.. Not a refugee.
No, you can tell especially when a lot seem to have their worldy belongings packed into them. It's understandable, Alberta's economy has gone in the crapper and BC is building tons of condos, where would you look for a construction job?

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
While our half hour time zone is silly, St. Pierre really are the ones who need to get their shit together. They really don't belong ahead of us; either they join our time zone or we join theirs. Being 90 minutes ahead of Halifax would really throw off our night/day cycle; 10 pm sunset on the solstice is a bit extreme for our latitude.

Actually, now I see that on the solstice the difference between our sunset and the sunset in Halifax is only 1 minute. Maybe our half hour time zone is actually useful. Get it together, St. Pierre, join the master race time zone.
The St. Pierre time zone is an hour later than it should be because it brings them closer in time to France, so it's a matter of convenience I expect. However, both NL and SPM are squarely within the geographic zone of Atlantic time, so there is really no need for any such nonsense to exist.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
No, you can tell especially when a lot seem to have their worldy belongings packed into them. It's understandable, Alberta's economy has gone in the crapper and BC is building tons of condos, where would you look for a construction job?
I'm not sure about that, there is plenty of construction going on here despite the economy. If you saw all the cranes dotting the skyline right now you would wonder what downturn to be honest. Not to say some people are not moving around. It just seems rather anecdotal and hyperbolic to say every Alberta plate is some refugee seeking asylum. Anyway, carry on.

Last edited by ZeDgE; May 22, 2017 at 8:48 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada