HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Is this the new incarnation of Jimmy Chips, Green Bro, Plaid Shirt, SanDiego-Honolulu?
It's not me, I can promise you that.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 12:25 AM

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 12:47 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Has anyone been in the Harmon's in the Imagination Creek area on 1300S?

I was driving down 1300 S. and noticed it so I went inside. I really liked it. It's quite a bit smaller than the downtown one, but uses the same type of taller shelving. I would love to see Harmon's build a few of these little stores around downtown. I think the marmalade district would be a great location for such a place. I think it would be particularly awesome if they could do it in the old OP Skaggs building. I don't think the building is big enough but they could add an expansion onto the Building... I guess the only problem after that would be parking... They could even call it OP Skaggs. The one on 13th is actually called Immigration Market... but then it says Harmon's over the entrance.

And I hate to say it, but I would actually like to see Smith's marketplace come down. I would rather see the smaller stores spread throughout the city instead of a massive block killer like that. I think Smith's could keep a smaller city store in the location and develop some residential on the block.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:22 AM

Don't know if this is an omen - but just as someone reported here that Cafe Molisse was moving from 55 W 100 South, Ikigai (formerly known as Naked Fish and before that Mikado) at 67 West 100 South has just closed.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:22 AM
Bad at planning ( ͡° ͜

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Has anyone been in the Harmon's in the Imagination Creek area on 1300S?

I was driving down 1300 S. and noticed it so I went inside. I really liked it. It's quite a bit smaller than the downtown one, but uses the same type of taller shelving. I would love to see Harmon's build a few of these little stores around downtown. I think the marmalade district would be a great location for such a place. I think it would be particularly awesome if they could do it in the old OP Skaggs building. I don't think the building is big enough but they could add an expansion onto the Building... I guess the only problem after that would be parking... They could even call it OP Skaggs. The one on 13th is actually called Immigration Market... but then it says Harmon's over the entrance.

And I hate to say it, but I would actually like to see Smith's marketplace come down. I would rather see the smaller stores spread throughout the city instead of a massive block killer like that. I think Smith's could keep a smaller city store in the location and develop some residential on the block.
I've lived around Harmon's Emigration for close to ten years now and I love it so much. The store that used to be there, Emigration Market, was notorious for being expensive. The guy who ran it (who was a complete dickhead - fighting for the obscene rules about yalecrest preservation while tearing down his own historic house to build a McMansion) eventually lost all his money and the market went out of business. Harmon's bought it and turned it into a Harmon's store around 4 years ago. The quality went up and the prices went down. It's about a 4 minute walk from my house and my god is it nice not to have to drive to Costco to get an emergency jug of milk. The people are nice, it's a great place for the community, and they sell great quality products. All they need to do is build more.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:28 AM

Gateway Update

The biggest update is the Dave and Busters Logo. This is the Second Floor. Obviously Foot Locker is closed, so it's not entirely accurate. I do notice a T-Mobile logo near the fountain area. I believe that is new.

http://www.vestar.com/wp-content/upl...ePlan-2017.pdf

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:59 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
A great proposal Old & New. The chance of it getting built is .01 of 1%. Reason? No developer confidence, ambition, or initiative in SLC. Please don't anyone say it's about lack of demand. That's BS.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:30 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merewether View Post
Don't know if this is an omen - but just as someone reported here that Cafe Molisse was moving from 55 W 100 South, Ikigai (formerly known as Naked Fish and before that Mikado) at 67 West 100 South has just closed.
Cafe Molise is moving to 404 S. West Temple... That location is going to be a death sentence for that restaurant. I'm not sure why they're moving to that building. There is also no mention of the wine bar... which serves food from Café Molise. That's a shame I think both places would've been a nice fit for Regent Street.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 7:12 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinpenguin View Post

The biggest update is the Dave and Busters Logo. This is the Second Floor. Obviously Foot Locker is closed, so it's not entirely accurate. I do notice a T-Mobile logo near the fountain area. I believe that is new.
Talked to a guy who works for the new owners of the Gateway. He said Dave and Buster's bailed and so did another restaurant because the Dining Club liquor license no longer exists. Womp Womp Utah.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:36 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:

http://www.vestar.com/wp-content/upl...ePlan-2017.pdf
T-Mobile has been there for years.

Also I don't think the Dave and Busters thing is happening. The food court is currently being renovated to include higher end eating establishments... I doubt that they would be doing that if they were planning on putting a Dave and busters there.

I honestly think that gateway is just going to end up becoming an office Plaza. The owners of the mall don't seem to have any direction or a vision. They've rebuilt the escalators twice now and they still don't work. They have been redoing a lot of the concrete which is good, but they're adding in these patches of Astroturf everywhere that look really tacky. There was one spot where they did rocks and planters that looks a lot better than the Astroturf... unfortunately there was only one of those. They have redone the restrooms and added mirrors. They are much nicer than they were but still very cheap in comparison to city Creek... The walls are just painted with no real tile work.

They are currently redoing the ticket system in the parking garages. You will no longer be able to pay cash when leaving the parking garage. Instead they will have machines much like city Creek. We will see if this helps.

The megaplex renovation was about the most half assed effort I've ever seen in my life. They added new leather seats to some of the auditoriums... and then stopped. They don't have any of the drink trays that are made for the new seats. So if you're in one of the auditorium is with new seats the trays don't fit in the cupholders correctly. I think megaplex 12 is a literally the most ghetto an out dated first run theater in Salt Lake Valley... Century 16 on 33rd even replaced ALL of their seats not long ago and are now getting ready to replace them all again with the recliner's. Megaplex 12 Installed a few recliners but they charge a premium for them. I can't wait till downtown Salt Lake gets a new movie theater... I think that's going to be the last nail in gateways coffin .... unless the owners of the mall are able to come up with something innovative which doesn't seem like they're able to do thus far.

Turning Dick's in the office space is about the hugest waste of space I've ever seen. That is one of the nicest most unique spaces in Gateway. It should've been turned into an indoor rock climbing sports facility or something.

I don't think I've met anybody who likes the idea of the building to hotel mini-towers on the backside of the depot... and I'm actually surprised that the city would allow this.

The mall has stepped up security, dramatically. In fact there are so many security guards there that it makes me feel uncomfortable... like there is some sort of a problem there or something, which I guess there is. Perhaps it wouldn't be as noticeable if there were more people there.

Even Starbucks finally left the mall... that can't be a good sign.

Last edited by ajiuO; May 19, 2017 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 6:24 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

One more thought on the traffic issues on 400W and gateway parking lot issues.

I think the best solution here would be to remove the Blue Line from 400 West. 2 lanes of traffic could be added to the center of the road. Then the lane closes to gateway could be blocked off to general traffic nice permanent infrastructure could be installed to direct traffic in and out of the the parking garage.

The Blue Line could then be redirected to turn directly down 200 south from main... Then a new line could be added running from the U to the airport. That way we would have the same number of trains hitting Galivan, City Center, Temple, & Arena stops.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:09 PM

I like parts of both ajiuO's and Old&New's proposals for the CCH block, so I made another proposal that combines parts from each.

Last edited by DMTower; May 19, 2017 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 10:53 PM
Bad at planning ( ͡° ͜

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
I like parts of both ajiuO's and Old&New's proposals for the CCH block, so I made another proposal that combines parts from each.

Could you add the Cascade to that?

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 3:44 AM

Gateway Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
T-Mobile has been there for years.

Also I don't think the Dave and Busters thing is happening. The food court is currently being renovated to include higher end eating establishments... I doubt that they would be doing that if they were planning on putting a Dave and busters there.

I honestly think that gateway is just going to end up becoming an office Plaza. The owners of the mall don't seem to have any direction or a vision. They've rebuilt the escalators twice now and they still don't work. They have been redoing a lot of the concrete which is good, but they're adding in these patches of Astroturf everywhere that look really tacky. There was one spot where they did rocks and planters that looks a lot better than the Astroturf... unfortunately there was only one of those. They have redone the restrooms and added mirrors. They are much nicer than they were but still very cheap in comparison to city Creek... The walls are just painted with no real tile work.

They are currently redoing the ticket system in the parking garages. You will no longer be able to pay cash when leaving the parking garage. Instead they will have machines much like city Creek. We will see if this helps.

The megaplex renovation was about the most half assed effort I've ever seen in my life. They added new leather seats to some of the auditoriums... and then stopped. They don't have any of the drink trays that are made for the new seats. So if you're in one of the auditorium is with new seats the trays don't fit in the cupholders correctly. I think megaplex 12 is a literally the most ghetto an out dated first run theater in Salt Lake Valley... Century 16 on 33rd even replaced ALL of their seats not long ago and are now getting ready to replace them all again with the recliner's. Megaplex 12 Installed a few recliners but they charge a premium for them. I can't wait till downtown Salt Lake gets a new movie theater... I think that's going to be the last nail in gateways coffin .... unless the owners of the mall are able to come up with something innovative which doesn't seem like they're able to do thus far.

Turning Dick's in the office space is about the hugest waste of space I've ever seen. That is one of the nicest most unique spaces in Gateway. It should've been turned into an indoor rock climbing sports facility or something.

I don't think I've met anybody who likes the idea of the building to hotel mini-towers on the backside of the depot... and I'm actually surprised that the city would allow this.

The mall has stepped up security, dramatically. In fact there are so many security guards there that it makes me feel uncomfortable... like there is some sort of a problem there or something, which I guess there is. Perhaps it wouldn't be as noticeable if there were more people there.

Even Starbucks finally left the mall... that can't be a good sign.
On the Dodge Construction site I saw a bid for demo of the food court. Also recently was listed a bid for an outdoor stage at Gateway. Vestar does not have a bad property in their portfolio. So that is why I am holding out some hope. They also have Dave and Busters in almost half of their properties. I agree with your thoughts on Dicks. A flagship REI would be ideal, or a Momentum/climbing activity place would be great. Retail is dying fast, so I feel that they are seeking more restaurants and food related. I am not a fan of Megaplex at all. When built they were at the top of the game, but the new Cinemark's, Regal, and AMC are all superior, and without excessive sponsorship's and advertisements. Definitely a bad omen when you lose a Starbucks.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 4:17 AM

They should just move the foodcourt into Dicks. Have a two level, open eating area with lots of natural light. Then something entertainment related (if not Dave & Busters) where the foodcourt was before.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 4:30 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
On the Dodge Construction site I saw a bid for demo of the food court. Also recently was listed a bid for an outdoor stage at Gateway. Vestar does not have a bad property in their portfolio. So that is why I am holding out some hope. They also have Dave and Busters in almost half of their properties. I agree with your thoughts on Dicks. A flagship REI would be ideal, or a Momentum/climbing activity place would be great. Retail is dying fast, so I feel that they are seeking more restaurants and food related. I am not a fan of Megaplex at all. When built they were at the top of the game, but the new Cinemark's, Regal, and AMC are all superior, and without excessive sponsorship's and advertisements. Definitely a bad omen when you lose a Starbucks.
Dave and busters could happen but it's not going to go where the food court was... My best guess is that it would go where skybox used to be. Ambacrombie and Fitch could be another possibility once they move out... I predicted that megaplex will eventually be bought out by one of the big three... They've been caught up in an acquisition work

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 6:03 PM

DM Tower, that is an awesome 3d plan of that area.

Regarding the Gateway, I like the ideas about Dave & Busters coming to the area. I assume that the alcohol legalities may be prohibitive, but Dave & Buster's is more like a fun game place that they happen to serve food & beverage. I also like the idea of the food court in Dick's, and a flagship REI with a giant rock climbing wall on the outside and inside. I think one of the biggest helps to the Gateway through, is to bring in a grocery store. Could be a Trader Joe's, a larger or local chain, or a smaller more urban store like Harmon's is doing, or a local food co-op store. Something that enables that residences that live there to walk to the store and not have to drive and have large parking garages.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 6:22 PM

MidiCi Pizza

A new pizza place announced for Gateway.

https://www.utahbusiness.com/gateway...wn-dining-mix/

http://www.mymidici.com/

Looks like it will be a nice addition. Hopefully the first of many announcements of new business for The Gateway.

I believe the changing of the liquor laws actually helped open the door for Dave and Busters to enter the market. Under the old system, a bar area wasn't allowed and drinks had to be made out of sight. This wouldn't detract Olive Garden and other established chains from opening additional locations, but would prevent any new ones from entering the market. Now that the bar area can be out in the open, hopefully we will see some additional chains willing to enter the market.

I know a Yard House would be a nice addition. They could probably get away with being licensed as a bar.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 6:26 PM
One Thing At A Time

Dave and Buster pulled out. Their business model relies too heavily on alcohol to meet the 70% food, 30% alcohol standards that you have to meet for a restaurant license. Their business model also relies too heavily on big groups/families to be a restricted 21+ bar. Our liquor laws just don't work for their model. The dining club license was their only good option and now it doesn't exist anymore.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 10:42 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Dave and Buster pulled out. Their business model relies too heavily on alcohol to meet the 70% food, 30% alcohol standards that you have to meet for a restaurant license. Their business model also relies too heavily on big groups/families to be a restricted 21+ bar. Our liquor laws just don't work for their model. The dining club license was their only good option and now it doesn't exist anymore.
That's a bummer.

Good news about the pizza joint. Hopefully they're better than California pizza kitchen. I'm actually surprised that place has lasted so long... now if they could only get the goddamn escalators to work for more than three hours straight they might be able to get more stores in there. Seriously what is the deal with the escalators there? They replaced the steps on all of them. They have literally stripped the ones in front of megaplex down two times and have been unable to get them running properly... now they are stripping down the ones going into the parking garage for a second or third time. Why don't they just rip those POSs out of there and put in something that works. :/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West