HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

    

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram
New York Projects & Construction Forum
            
View Full Map

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 1:02 PM
Crawford Crawford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NYC/Polanco, DF
Posts: 14,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
-
I love every moment of being in my car, and I generally dislike public transportation.
While I agree that Manhattan avenues shouldn't (and won't ever) be converted to pedestrian-only, your anecdote isn't really relevant to anything.

Someone's personal preferences shouldn't trump the public good, and there are few things more anti-public good than allowing private automobiles to come into Manhattan without paying huge fees.

Really no one needs to drive into Manhattan, and those that do need to pay a hell of a lot more than they currently do. Eventually we'll have congestion pricing and/or tolls on all entryways. There's no other way we're going to be able to function.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 4:10 PM
sbarn sbarn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,992
I think pedestrianizing streets in Midtown is largely misguided. While Times Square has been successful, others have been less successful. That said, I'm all for pedestrianizing streets in other parts of the city. IMO, places in the Village, SoHo and other places would be amazing as pedestrian only thoroughfares. Mulberry Street, St. Marks Place, even Bleecker or Prince Streets could be nice.

Anyway, this has gotten way off subject.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 5:11 AM
Duck From NY's Avatar
Duck From NY Duck From NY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Staten Island, "New York City"
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
While I agree that Manhattan avenues shouldn't (and won't ever) be converted to pedestrian-only, your anecdote isn't really relevant to anything.

Someone's personal preferences shouldn't trump the public good, and there are few things more anti-public good than allowing private automobiles to come into Manhattan without paying huge fees.

Really no one needs to drive into Manhattan, and those that do need to pay a hell of a lot more than they currently do. Eventually we'll have congestion pricing and/or tolls on all entryways. There's no other way we're going to be able to function.
I'm not the only one. A great deal of people come from the suburbs (sometimes even as far a way as Lehigh Valley or New Haven for work every day, or to go to a game, etc). A lot of these people don't particularly want rail access to the city, however misguided you may think that is. Cutting down on the street traffic has its benefits, but I believe the economic benefits from auto commuters will drop if too many streets close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
IMO, places in the Village, SoHo and other places would be amazing as pedestrian only thoroughfares. Mulberry Street, St. Marks Place, even Bleecker or Prince Streets could be nice.
-
A much better idea. St.Marks used to be pedestrian at times, but then again, St.Marks isn't really St.Marks anymore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:44 AM
599GTO 599GTO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 865
I'm curious to see night renderings of this building.

Last edited by 599GTO; Dec 19, 2012 at 6:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:55 AM
599GTO 599GTO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
While I agree that Manhattan avenues shouldn't (and won't ever) be converted to pedestrian-only, your anecdote isn't really relevant to anything.

Someone's personal preferences shouldn't trump the public good, and there are few things more anti-public good than allowing private automobiles to come into Manhattan without paying huge fees.

Really no one needs to drive into Manhattan, and those that do need to pay a hell of a lot more than they currently do. Eventually we'll have congestion pricing and/or tolls on all entryways. There's no other way we're going to be able to function.

Yay! More fees! The answer to everything -- higher taxes, and more fees! God knows we don't have enough of that in New York.

And I agree..no way will New York ever to be able to function without higher taxes, more fees! Gosh, I can't wait to finally experience New York when it is a functioning city! God knows New York doesn't function. What a mess of a city. New York will never be a world city until we finally find a way for it to function! Maybe when we can finally get New York to function it will become desirable enough to get people to drop $30mm, $50mm and $100mm on apartments! And we can finally get some tourists to this functioning city! And maybe we can create a world renowned financial system! We'll name it Wall Street!

/sarc.

Just widen the sidewalks, landscape heavily and stfu. I'm so sick of (generally unattractive) pedestrian plazas and shoving more people onto the unbearably crowded and rat infested subway system being the answer to every 'progressive's' wet dream. Or better yet -- take the silly pedestrian plazas to the East Village and Williamsburg and leave money-making Midtown Manhattan alone. It is the richest and most important place on the planet and the last thing it needs is more ridiculous street blockages disturbing commerce and their limos.

Last edited by 599GTO; Dec 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 12:12 PM
nycaddict's Avatar
nycaddict nycaddict is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 108
I love this tower but think it would look a lot nicer if it had a pointed top
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 1:55 PM
khaizer007 khaizer007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Yay! More fees! The answer to everything -- higher taxes, and more fees! God knows we don't have enough of that in New York.

And I agree..no way will New York ever to be able to function without higher taxes, more fees! Gosh, I can't wait to finally experience New York when it is a functioning city! God knows New York doesn't function. What a mess of a city. New York will never be a world city until we finally find a way for it to function! Maybe when we can finally get New York to function it will become desirable enough to get people to drop $30mm, $50mm and $100mm on apartments! And we can finally get some tourists to this functioning city! And maybe we can create a world renowned financial system! We'll name it Wall Street!

/sarc.

Just widen the sidewalks, landscape heavily and stfu. I'm so sick of (generally unattractive) pedestrian plazas and shoving more people onto the unbearably crowded and rat infested subway system being the answer to every 'progressive's' wet dream. Or better yet -- take the silly pedestrian plazas to the East Village and Williamsburg and leave money-making Midtown Manhattan alone. It is the richest and most important place on the planet and the last thing it needs is more ridiculous street blockages disturbing commerce and their limos.
New York is "The world city"!! Compared to the other world cities like London and Paris we pay even less taxes and they both seem to be doing pretty good so let's not go too far here. Fact is we do need congestion pricing because of how our city is evolving, we can't just have that many cars in such a congested city so bring on more pedestrian plazas to make it more livable.

Last edited by khaizer007; Dec 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:42 PM
aquablue aquablue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Yay! More fees! The answer to everything -- higher taxes, and more fees! God knows we don't have enough of that in New York.

And I agree..no way will New York ever to be able to function without higher taxes, more fees! Gosh, I can't wait to finally experience New York when it is a functioning city! God knows New York doesn't function. What a mess of a city. New York will never be a world city until we finally find a way for it to function! Maybe when we can finally get New York to function it will become desirable enough to get people to drop $30mm, $50mm and $100mm on apartments! And we can finally get some tourists to this functioning city! And maybe we can create a world renowned financial system! We'll name it Wall Street!

/sarc.

Just widen the sidewalks, landscape heavily and stfu. I'm so sick of (generally unattractive) pedestrian plazas and shoving more people onto the unbearably crowded and rat infested subway system being the answer to every 'progressive's' wet dream. Or better yet -- take the silly pedestrian plazas to the East Village and Williamsburg and leave money-making Midtown Manhattan alone. It is the richest and most important place on the planet and the last thing it needs is more ridiculous street blockages disturbing commerce and their limos.
What an foolish and pathetic diatribe, wow. Go be angry and aggressive elsewhere please, this is not a place to tell people to 'STFU' just because you disagree with their ideas. You sound like one of those rich conservatives who has absolutely no idea about cities or the people that inhabit them, but instead care only about those 'limo riding' elites.. what a pathetic selfish attitude. The only thing I know and what makes me laugh with glee, is that I can predict that you are going to be annoyed for years to come as the city becomes even more 'progressive' and implements more and more progressive schemes, and I doubt there is anything people like you can do to stop it. Instead you can get angrier and angrier while the rest of us enjoy a better more livable city. Why don't you move to Houston, you'll be happy there with nobody on the street, no subway and endless highway widening, and NO riff-raff using their silly 'progressive' pedestrian plazas or bike shares, lol.

Oh, and did you know that Tokyo, the city with the greatest GDP on the planet, closes some of its major commercial shopping streets on the weekends to traffic? Did you know that Hong Kong, the financial center of Asia closes many of its streets to shoppers at various times of the day? Did you know that Shanghai, the rising new 'NEW YORK' of Asia, has a huge major commercial street and plaza completely car free? It isn't just the amsterdams, the munichs and the Barcelonas that do this, it is also the cities that are the leading business centers in the world.

Your arguments that such improvements to cities interfere with commerce is completely without foundation and you have no evidence that this would occur in NYC given the same implementation there, you are instead acting out of fear of the unknown.

Last edited by aquablue; Dec 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:32 PM
599GTO 599GTO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
What an foolish and pathetic diatribe, wow. Go be angry and aggressive elsewhere please, this is not a place to tell people to 'STFU' just because you disagree with their ideas. You sound like one of those rich conservatives who has absolutely no idea about cities or the people that inhabit them, but instead care only about those 'limo riding' elites.. what a pathetic selfish attitude. The only thing I know and what makes me laugh with glee, is that I can predict that you are going to be annoyed for years to come as the city becomes even more 'progressive' and implements more and more progressive schemes, and I doubt there is anything people like you can do to stop it. Instead you can get angrier and angrier while the rest of us enjoy a better more livable city. Why don't you move to Houston, you'll be happy there with nobody on the street, no subway and endless highway widening, and NO riff-raff using their silly 'progressive' pedestrian plazas or bike shares, lol.

Oh, and did you know that Tokyo, the city with the greatest GDP on the planet, closes some of its major commercial shopping streets on the weekends to traffic? Did you know that Hong Kong, the financial center of Asia closes many of its streets to shoppers at various times of the day? Did you know that Shanghai, the rising new 'NEW YORK' of Asia, has a huge major commercial street and plaza completely car free? It isn't just the amsterdams, the munichs and the Barcelonas that do this, it is also the cities that are the leading business centers in the world.

Your arguments that such improvements to cities interfere with commerce is completely without foundation and you have no evidence that this would occur in NYC given the same implementation there, you are instead acting out of fear of the unknown.

Tokyo is basically a city of a bunch of poors that keep its GDP sky high. Tokyo is a city of massive government investment (since it's a capital) and New York is a city of commerce. New York is much richer and more productive and they can not be compared in any way.

The idea that New York doesn't function because the entire island of Manhattan isn't a giant pedestrian plaza is ridiculous. New York needs smart growth and the answer to everything isn't shutting down streets for more ugly pedestrian plazas. Where will all these new commuters fit? No, we don't want to live like a bunch of animals like they do in Tokyo, squeezing themselves into the trains like a bunch of cattle in such an inhumane fashion.



Go back to Tokyo and eat your Ramen in the middle of the cutsey pedestrian plazas and enjoy. It would be a travesty if New York in any way resembled Tokyo or any Asian city. New York is New York and let's keep it that way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #90  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:54 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 34,916
OKAY!!




THAT IS ENOUGH!

No more commentary that isn't about this building.

Continue your debates in private, thank you.
__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #91  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 5:22 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 34,916
Article on the towers of the new "gold coast"...
http://observer.com/2013/01/57th-hea...belt/?show=all
__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #92  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 5:34 PM
TowerVerre:)'s Avatar
TowerVerre:) TowerVerre:) is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 53
I am sorry if that already was asked but do anyone know when the construction should start?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #93  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:53 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 34,916
It's supposed to be completed in 2014, so likely soon.


http://observer.com/2013/01/57th-hea...belt/?show=all


Quote:
Barry Sternlicht, the creator of the W and Starwood hotel chains, had already planted his flag at 107 West 57th Street, having bought the vacant lot from another developer for $52 million in 2005. Last year, Mr. Stern bought into the property for $40 million, and together they’re now planning a shard of an apartment tower, all boutique luxury beauty, shooting up some 700 feet and 50 stories, but only 34 feet wide. With its pointy top, this might become the most expensive toothpick ever made.

But is there really a market for so many multimillion-dollar homes all bunched up together like this? “I think so,” said Jonathan Miller, the master appraiser. “So long as the market isn’t flooded, which it’s really not, and we only get one or two of these projects a year, we should be fine.”

“Remember,” he added, “these buildings are big, but so are the apartments, so there really aren’t that many of them.” One57 has 135 units (plus a Hyatt hotel on the bottom half) and 432 Park has 128, while 107 West 57th Street has all of 27 units planned, each one taking up at least an entire floor and more than half will be duplexes.

Meanwhile, demand is skyrocketing like these towers. Just as these new buildings are in a different class, so are the buyers. “Before, this was a small investment, little more than a hotel room,” Mr. Greenblatt explained. “Now, these are real homes, big homes, with the nicest finishes. These are the type of buyers who own homes all over the world, so that’s what they want.”

Mr. Greenblatt actually believes that there has been pent-up demand for these kinds of apartments for years that is only being worked out now, and that it should last for years, as global wealth continues to concentrate in the hands of the few and find its way into New York and other world capitals.
__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #94  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 9:48 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 34,916
http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...n-57th-street/

Battling skyscrapers on 57th Street
In the wake of One57, developers are working on a slew of residential projects in Manhattan’s newest hotbed of development






February 01, 2013
By Yasmeen Qureshi

Quote:
With its birds-eye views of Central Park, Extell Development’s One57 is setting new records for residential sale prices in the city. But Extell isn’t the only developer seeking to cash in on the area’s potential. A number of new skyscrapers are springing up along 57th Street, from Durst Fetner Residential’s pyramid-shaped condo project on the far West Side to 250 East 57th Street, a 59-story residential tower at Second Avenue.

Fifty-Seventh Street is now one of the most active corridors of new residential development in the city, boasting some of the city’s tallest towers and most buzzed-about architecture. Why is the street having such a moment? Brokers and developers attribute that to a unique confluence of factors, including demographic change, zoning that allows very tall buildings and proximity to the park.

Fifty-Seventh Street, in particular, is attractive to developers because of its location in a special Midtown zoning district with no height restrictions. (Height restrictions begin at 58th Street.) That means developers can build high enough to capture the sought-after Central Park views that very wealthy buyers crave, explained Michael Stern of JDS Development Group.

When it comes to netting the highest possible prices for Manhattan condos, “it’s all about park views,” said Stern, who is in the process of developing a new condo tower at 107 West 57th Street.

So many projects are rising at once, he said, because banks are now more willing to finance new condominiums, after a four-year lull following the financial crisis. And developers like him are seizing the moment, while housing supply is low and the real estate market is picking up steam. “There’s an imbalance between supply and demand coming out of the recession,” he said.

And of course, the sky-high prices at nearby buildings like the Time Warner Center, One Beacon Court and One57 — the New York Observer last month dubbed 57th Street “the Billionaires Belt” — have not escaped developers’ notice.

“Developers are looking at the success [in the neighborhood] and saying, ‘The highest return is to build condominiums,’” said Donna Olshan, president of the brokerage Olshan Realty.

107 West 57th Street

This slender new condo tower is being developed by JDS Development Group and Property Markets Group, the team behind well-received condo conversion Walker Tower. Located on a vacant lot on 57th Street just west of Sixth Avenue, the 700-foot-tall, 52-story building will have around 30 units, Stern said, many of them duplexes. Plans call for roughly 10,000 square feet of retail on the first and second floors. Construction is slated to begin this quarter and be completed in 2014.


__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #95  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 10:28 PM
yankeesfan1000 yankeesfan1000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 10014
Posts: 1,405
Hopefully we get some more renderings soon, but nice to see another one get going.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #96  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 4:20 AM
sbarn sbarn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,992
Great although I'll believe it when I see it. I feel like they've been about to start this tower for about a year now. If / when it is built, it may become one of the most remarkable sliver towers in the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #97  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 6:05 PM
UTEPman UTEPman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 203
my fav project in NY
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #98  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 8:04 PM
easy as pie's Avatar
easy as pie easy as pie is offline
testify
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 94109
Posts: 853
completed in 2014?? it hardly seems possible, 55 floors of luxe apartments even with almost no excavation and such small floorplates. let's say in begins in may, that'd be groundbreaking to delivery in ~18 months! awesome aggressive schedule!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #99  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 4:00 PM
JayPro JayPro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Huntington, Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,047
IMO new renderings are *long* overdue.

This latest one we've been seeing for months now looks like a pastel drawing from a vantage point that doesn't accentuate it's finer details (i.e. cladding, balcony structure, *real* sense of the building's width...or lack thereof).

I'd especially like to see how this interacts with the CPK/57th St. stretch of the skyline (i.e. a "future skyline" rendering if feasible) and towards Tower Verre.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #100  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 4:45 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 34,916
All permits have been approved, and it work was supposed to begin this quarter. Maybe someone should stop by and check it out.







Older site view...

















__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:17 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.