HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:51 PM
MichaelB MichaelB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North edge of Downtown
Posts: 2,630
Im having loss over the last thread. Bitch just up and left!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:57 PM
wwmiv wwmiv is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia
Posts: 3,237
Kevin, can you email White Lodging to get an updates height for the JW Marriott? It seems they may have slightly increased it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:09 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: sunshine and taco trucks on every corner
Posts: 43,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Kevin, can you email White Lodging to get an updates height for the JW Marriott? It seems they may have slightly increased it.
The floor number hasn't changed. It's still at 33 floors which is what it was when I got the heights a while back. I'll probably send them another "confirmation" email once they break ground just to make sure nothing's changed, but they had told me plans were pretty much finalized then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Im having loss over the last thread. Bitch just up and left!
She was a good thread. If you go to my links in my post above, I included a link to the OLD thread from 2005. It shows some cool construction photos. There's one of Whole Foods on the 1st page that Mopacs took.
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:11 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,729
I saw a web report on KXAN that the city council will be finalizing imagine Austin with a vote coming up in a couple of weeks. The blue print of how the city will grow over the next 30 years looks like it should be able to pass given its overwhelming support from various public community panels and commisions.

Kevin, I will see if I can find anything about the GWT site.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:28 PM
N90 N90 is online now
Voice of the Modern World
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
That's a scary thought. I don't like the idea of that many people living in this city. I would hope we could not sprawl anymore, but instead build highrises to accommodate all these people. Highrises all over, from William Cannon to Louis Henna. No more damn sprawl. I don't want us to be like Houston or Dallas; just suburban sprawl as far as the eye can see.
If you're worried about Austin looking like Houston or Dallas then you don't have to worry because it wont but we should take a better look at Atlanta now and start fixing some problems that it went through much earlier in our development stage. Austin by development is almost a baby version of Atlanta, strong downtown core but leap frog type of sprawl from there on out. Dallas and Houston have weak downtown cores but their sprawl is extensively continuous by development.

Austin's different then them because of the topography alone, its leading Austin to sprawl much differently. The highways/freeways are already an indication of what we need to work on, otherwise our traffic will compete with the best of them with Atlanta and Washington DC.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:33 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,729
Are you sure it was KVUE, I could not find anything on their site about it. Im interested in seeing that 3D model.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:41 PM
wwmiv wwmiv is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia
Posts: 3,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
If you're worried about Austin looking like Houston or Dallas then you don't have to worry because it wont but we should take a better look at Atlanta now and start fixing some problems that it went through much earlier in our development stage. Austin by development is almost a baby version of Atlanta, strong downtown core but leap frog type of sprawl from there on out. Dallas and Houston have weak downtown cores but their sprawl is extensively continuous by development.

Austin's different than them because of the topography alone, its leading Austin to sprawl much differently. The highways/freeways are already an indication of what we need to work on, otherwise our traffic will compete with the best of them with Atlanta and Washington DC.
In a way I agree with this. Even with the attempt to create a secondary downtown (Domain v. Buckhead) or with a world-class event (Olympics v. F1), but we also have failed in ways where Atlanta excelled: mass transit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:41 PM
JoninATX JoninATX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The ATX
Posts: 2,644
Austin does resemble Atlanta in a way, only difference I see is the lack of mass transit and we don't sprawl out as much.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:23 AM
AviationGuy AviationGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I saw a web report on KXAN that the city council will be finalizing imagine Austin with a vote coming up in a couple of weeks. The blue print of how the city will grow over the next 30 years looks like it should be able to pass given its overwhelming support from various public community panels and commisions.

Kevin, I will see if I can find anything about the GWT site.
I haven't seen the Imagine Austin report yet, but my neighborhood is extremely opposed to it because it encourages density along Burnet Rd. I just don't get it. Density along major thoroughfares is a good thing!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:28 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: sunshine and taco trucks on every corner
Posts: 43,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Are you sure it was KVUE, I could not find anything on their site about it. Im interested in seeing that 3D model.
Yeah, it was KVUE. I only caught a glimpse of it, but the model/rendering showed what looked like two white colored buildings that had sloped roofs.

It may have been just a conceptual design.
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:59 AM
nixcity's Avatar
nixcity nixcity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 688
Quote:
In a way I agree with this. Even with the attempt to create a secondary downtown (Domain v. Buckhead) or with a world-class event (Olympics v. F1), but we also have failed in ways where Atlanta excelled: mass transit.
Interesting comparisons, and without a doubt their transit system is leaps and bounds ahead of ours. I believe its MARFA,,,its one of the best in the country.

Quote:
I haven't seen the Imagine Austin report yet, but my neighborhood is extremely opposed to it because it encourages density along Burnet Rd. I just don't get it. Density along major thoroughfares is a good thing!
Well it just shows the intelligence of these kinds of people, they complain first and foremost about traffic increasing. Don't they realize that by putting the people right there on the main street means they will NOT be in their neighborhoods...especially true with burnet. Try and get on a public forum blog or keep in contact with these kinds of people to educate them on the basics. You can always get them by rubbing their fake "green" noses in it by asking them if they are environmentalists,,,or just green to be catchy???And living here they basically have to say yes. Then simply ask them where they plan on putting all the people that are moving here...if the answer is sprawl then he is talking about taking out big chunks of the ENVIRONMENT for crap!!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:55 AM
migol24 migol24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Francisco, Austin
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
Well it just shows the intelligence of these kinds of people, they complain first and foremost about traffic increasing. Don't they realize that by putting the people right there on the main street means they will NOT be in their neighborhoods...especially true with burnet. Try and get on a public forum blog or keep in contact with these kinds of people to educate them on the basics. You can always get them by rubbing their fake "green" noses in it by asking them if they are environmentalists,,,or just green to be catchy???And living here they basically have to say yes. Then simply ask them where they plan on putting all the people that are moving here...if the answer is sprawl then he is talking about taking out big chunks of the ENVIRONMENT for crap!!!!
yup. I was trying to explain this to my co-worker here in SF. He also lived in Austin and was complaining with all the building going on and said that its looking more like Houston and Dallas. When I started explaining he seemed to understand it a little bit but wasn't still buying it. I just don't get it with these kinds of people. Where do they learn their stuff from?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 6:59 AM
JoninATX JoninATX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The ATX
Posts: 2,644
Kvue did a segment about the contruction and growth downtown at the end she said there were 4,500 people living in downtown in 1993 & shot up to 9,500 this year. I would not be surprised if we surpassed the 10,000 mark.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Flurry-of-d...149128555.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 9:23 AM
JoninATX JoninATX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The ATX
Posts: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
The T. Stacy project is dead, though, right?
I think its on hold.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 9:28 AM
ahealy's Avatar
ahealy ahealy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,242
arggg. I wanna see an updated render of green! Weren't they supposed to vote on it this week?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 10:12 AM
LoneStarMike's Avatar
LoneStarMike LoneStarMike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
arggg. I wanna see an updated render of green! Weren't they supposed to vote on it this week?
I think it's been postponed until May, if I'm reading this right in the Austin Chronicle

The Council Meeting From Purgatory
Bring a pillow and wear your hard hat

By Michael King, Fri., April 27, 2012

Quote:
Items 121-139 are all scheduled public hearings, including both the extension of Austin Pets Alive!'s sinecure at the Town Lake Animal Center, and what would have been the revisiting of the teetering Green Water Treatment Plant deal – that was reportedly pulled late Tuesday, and is now rescheduled for sometime in late May (after the May 12 election).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:00 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,729
Im sure some NAs will never be on board with anything the city does but aparently the plan has had major support from several public panels throught the city and everybody on the Planning and zoning commission voted in favor of the plan. Even Bill Spelman stated he was impressed that it unanimously passed the Planning and zoning commission. One of the members on the board, that guy with the long grey hair and classes got interviewed on the news and said that the goal is to get people to live as close to where they work and less of a need to use a car. What I like about the plan is it really builds up the central core. I think most people, even those who are not happy with growth realize we need to grow right.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 6:29 PM
MichaelB MichaelB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North edge of Downtown
Posts: 2,630
[QUOTE=KevinFromTexas;5680136]The floor number hasn't changed. It's still at 33 floors which is what it was when I got the heights a while back. I'll probably send them another "confirmation" email once they break ground just to make sure nothing's changed, but they had told me plans were pretty much finalized then.



"She was a good thread. "



That is a great idea to go back and look at the earlier construction thread! HUM! Now that is some geek entertainment! You know i will!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 6:39 PM
BevoLJ's Avatar
BevoLJ BevoLJ is offline
~Hook'em~
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
Posts: 1,832
Heh, I geeked and did the same thing yesterday when Kevin linked them. Lots of fun reading.

Then went and linked them at the bottom of the list for others to do the same.
__________________
Austin, Texas
London, United Kingdom
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 9:04 PM
BevoLJ's Avatar
BevoLJ BevoLJ is offline
~Hook'em~
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
Posts: 1,832
Here is a picture today of COTA with a view of downtown


http://www.facebook.com/CircuitofTheAmericas
__________________
Austin, Texas
London, United Kingdom
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:18 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.