HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:29 PM

Ok , I know it's late Friday afternoon and some of you may already be on your way to the shore . I'm still hoping
some procrastinators may be able to help me with a question I have .

While probing around in the database , I noticed two components which confuse me . there is listed in the proposed
section , Cira II @ 705' and then there is a Cira Center II @ 725' listed in the canceled section .... Are they two separate
projects with very similar names or ......... what .

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Isn't there a strip of "fake" houses along there somewhere, offering full body massages?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9526...8i6656!6m1!1e1
haha, yeah that strip is odd.

The hotel is going to go here -- if I'm not mistaken. There's a decent sized parking lot in back where I'm assuming the hotel will rise, with entrance on 19th Street.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 2:21 PM

Philly outstrips New York in job growth

Quote:
Break out the Bluecoat gin — Philly is outstripping New York in job growth.

“I was very surprised to see it,” said Ian Anderson, a fan of Fishtown’s home-distilled Bluecoat and the director of research and analysis in Philadelphia for CBRE Group Inc., a commercial real estate company. Anderson crunched some U.S. Labor Department statistics, comparing job growth in the Big Apple with what’s happening in the land of the cracked bell.

“I think it’s wonderful,” he said of the job news.

Payrolls in Philadelphia expanded by an annual average of 2.8 percent between March 2016 and March 2017, while in the five boroughs of New York City, payrolls grew by 1.8 percent. However, to put that in perspective, 1.8 percent growth in New York equals 75,900 jobs, while Philadelphia’s 2.8 percent growth meant 19,200 jobs.

“The tables have completely turned,” Anderson said. Between March 2015 and March 2016, New York’s growth rate was 2.8 percent and Philadelphia’s was 1.4 percent. One explanation? “Part of it is that the financial industry in New York has been a little sluggish of late.”

However, both Anderson and Adam Ozimek, a senior economist at Moody’s Analytics in West Chester, attribute the growth to Philadelphia’s growing popularity, which is encouraging employers to expand here.

“There’s clearly optimism,” said Ozimek, whose Friday Philly beverage of choice is Yards Brawler, a malt-forward ale brewed on Delaware Avenue. “It’s a very exciting time to be watching the Philadelphia economy, that’s for sure. It feels like there’s a possibility that Philadelphia could be like one of those mega-cities,” Boston, or Seattle, or, yes, even New York.
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170520.html

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Isn't there a strip of "fake" houses along there somewhere, offering full body massages?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9526...8i6656!6m1!1e1
That view on Google maps is looking the wrong direction. If you virtually turn around you'll see the parkway lot where the pod hotel would be built.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

Read more here:
I've often wondered at what point does the insane housing market in New York and San Francisco strangle job growth and force companies to look elsewhere?

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:

Read more here:
Philly Mag just ran an article in their June issue entitled "Philly's coming Jobs Crisis," but I can't find it online.
So which is it. Are we in a period of crisis or growth...

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbrown View Post
Philly Mag just ran an article in their June issue entitled "Philly's coming Jobs Crisis," but I can't find it online.
It's funny... Philly.com used to be the worst, hyperbole driven, click bait news source in existence. Now, they're pretty fact driven and straight forward and have ditched a lot of that nonsense.

On the flip-side, PhillyMag used to be a fact driven news source. Now, they seem to be the hyperbole driven, click bait, sky-is-falling, doomsday scenario news source that Philly.com used to be. I consistently find myself rolling my eyes reading PhillyMag. It's rather annoying honestly, lol.

If you look at the actual facts and statistics for the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Philadelphia is on fire for job growth.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieStevens View Post
Plus there are 2 more Ritz theaters a few blocks away. This would be an awesome proposal
Honestly, in addition to the new Scannapieco tower -- which I look forward to -- I would also love to see the entire Ritz East complex/above-ground parking garage razed. And replaced with a luxury highrise with underground parking. Maybe 2 separate towers. The garage spans from 2nd street all the way to Front across from the new townhouse development. Ritz East can return as a ground floor tenant when the new towers are complete. Maybe one could be a hotel instead of residential. With more and more people living in the Old City and Society Hill areas, another hotel possibly makes sense.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 8:54 PM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Quote:
It's funny... Philly.com used to be the worst, hyperbole driven, click bait news source in existence. Now, they're pretty fact driven and straight forward and have ditched a lot of that nonsense.

On the flip-side, PhillyMag used to be a fact driven news source. Now, they seem to be the hyperbole driven, click bait, sky-is-falling, doomsday scenario news source that Philly.com used to be. I consistently find myself rolling my eyes reading PhillyMag. It's rather annoying honestly, lol.

If you look at the actual facts and statistics for the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Philadelphia is on fire for job growth.
Is Philadelphia Media Holdings even still a for-profit concern anymore? I've found newspapers seem to be better when they're non-profit/their ownership doesn't care about the profit motive and IIRC the current concern is supposed to be funded by its own endowment.

By contrast, Philly Mag very much is a for-profit concern, and it had an editorial shakeup last fall that forced its news-focused editorial staff out. No surprise there its story quality declined.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:

Read more here:
"It feels like there’s a possibility that Philadelphia could be like one of those mega-cities,” Boston, or Seattle, or, yes, even New York."

Seattle in NOT economically a mega city - whatever that means in the above quote. Boston is. Seattle is Rated economically (2016) as a Beta- "World City", Philadelphia is rated as a Beta.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 12:12 AM

April 2016 to April 2017 Job Growth
**According to BLS

Philadelphia Metropolitan Area
+43,900 job growth
4.6% unemployment rate
2,913,600 total jobs

Philadelphia City
+17,000 job growth
5.9% unemployment rate
717,700 total jobs

Montgomery, Chester, Bucks Counties
+9,700 job growth
3.8% unemployment rate
1,056,500 total jobs

Delaware County
+1,900 job growth
5.5% unemployment rate
236,300 total jobs

Wilmington Metro Division (New Castle, Salem, Cecil Counties)
+1,700 job growth
4.6% unemployment rate
361,100 total jobs

Camden Metro Division (Camden, Burlington, Gloucester Counties)
+13,600 job growth
4.2% unemployment rate
542,000 total jobs

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
"It feels like there’s a possibility that Philadelphia could be like one of those mega-cities,” Boston, or Seattle, or, yes, even New York."

Seattle in NOT economically a mega city - whatever that means in the above quote. Boston is. Seattle is Rated economically (2016) as a Beta- "World City", Philadelphia is rated as a Beta.
Those world city rankings are very sketch coz they pretty much only measure a city's connection to London actually. That being said, I agree with you that although Seattle's on fire, Philly's almost certainly the more significant and powerful city currently. Hopefully it stays that way. You could also make a very solid case for Philly above Boston but I digress.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 4:49 PM

Squilla calls increased Delaware waterfront height limit ‘progressive’ – waterfront advocates say it would undercut plan

Quote:
Currently the maximum allowable height is capped, with bonuses, at 244 feet. (The base height limit is 100 feet.) The plan recommended a height limit, arguing it would help prevent an rapid, over-saturated housing market and incentivize development to be spread along the whole riverfront. Planners and waterfront advocates also feared a cycle of high-cost, high-rise proposals would drive up land values while ambitious and expensive plans floundered.
Not to beat a dead horse. But again, this is not a skyscraper vs. lowrise debate. This is a development vs. no development debate. Anyone who supports this change that Squila proposed is being hoodwinked by shiny renderings that will never ever come to fruition. These changes will do nothing but enrich current property owners with political connections and in fact make future development on the waterfront LESS likely. A lot of smart people spent a lot of time on the zoning plans for the waterfront, they're in place the way they are for a reason.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:

I almost had a laugh at your first paragraph. Perhaps certain sections of the Inquirer are straight-laced but I still find the publication as a whole to be sorely lacking in proper journalism. The Editorial and Sports sections are still notoriously bad. I can't even count how many times I've seen incorrect grammar usage in the articles of the sports section. It's quite frankly, embarrassing for a supposed major city publication.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbrown View Post
Philly mag often posts stories online after the magazine comes out. I read the article. It's nothing new or insightful. Like the CCD reports it looks at Philly job growth over a LONG period of time vs other cities. It glances over the recent stats and basically says we aren't doing good enough and claims leaders (mainly politicians) are giddy about the modest numbers and aren't taking the crisis seriously.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 3:18 PM

Philadelphia has grown 0.5% more dense over the past 6 years.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post

Not Philly. Philly Metro area.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
Interesting article, it's worth noting that the for the most part; the metro areas that became more suburbanized do not have the transportation infrastructure of those that became more dense.

Don't get me wrong, traffic sucks around here, but I can't imagine what it would be like without the RR, subway and bus systems in place....and you never hear of any US cities laying new down rails or digging new subway tunnels.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond LuxuryYacht View Post
I almost had a laugh at your first paragraph. Perhaps certain sections of the Inquirer are straight-laced but I still find the publication as a whole to be sorely lacking in proper journalism. The Editorial and Sports sections are still notoriously bad. I can't even count how many times I've seen incorrect grammar usage in the articles of the sports section. It's quite frankly, embarrassing for a supposed major city publication.
Agree 100%

Some sections of Philly.com (like the sports section) are still bad. Overall though, they have completely changed course in the past few years.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 7:45 PM

So what will be the next tower to break ground now that 3665 Market is thoroughly underway? My money is on 1324 N. Broad or the View 2.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations