HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 2:36 AM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 461
Skylines Rankings, World & U.S.

Skylines can be ranked in many ways. Beauty, number of buildings above a certain height, etc, number of super talls, etc.

In the U.S. I would rank the top 15 (based on numbers & height, not beauty necessarily):

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3-6. Houston, L.A., S.F, Miami tied
7. Dallas
8. Philadelphia
9. Atlanta
10. Seattle
11. Boston
12. Minneapolis
13. Las Vegas
14. Pittsburgh
15. Denver

In the world, of course Dubai, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Seoul, Tokyo, London, Moscow, Kuala Lampor, Sydney, Melbourne, Toronto etc. would be in the rankings. Did I leave any off the list? Love to see other opinions, including beauty ranks. Beautiful & tall are not the same. Vancouver and San Diego, for example, are beautiful skylines but are not all that tall.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 15, 2016 at 2:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 2:48 AM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is online now
Can't knock the hustle
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey - Somerset County
Posts: 19,587
My top 10 for U.S.: (For beauty)

1) NYC
2) San Francisco
3) Chicago
4) Seattle
5) Miami
6) Boston
7) Philadelphia
8) Dallas
9) Honolulu
10) Los Angeles

My top 10 for Asia: (For beauty)

1) Shanghai
2) Hong Kong
3) Shenzhen
4) Tokyo
5) Chongqing
6) Singapore
7) Doha
8) Beijing
9) Tehran (I actually think it looks cool, with the mountains).
10) Sheyang

These are all IMO, and are not to be taken as fact.


I'm a big fan of Asian cities. Chongqing and Shenzhen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 2:48 AM
mhays mhays is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 15,929
Finally, a skyline ranking thread!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 3:00 AM
Leo the Dog Leo the Dog is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Lower-48
Posts: 4,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Skylines can be ranked in many ways. Beauty, number of buildings above a certain height, etc, number of super talls, etc.

In the U.S. I would rank the top 15 (based on numbers & height, not beauty necessarily):

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3-6. Houston, L.A., S.F, Miami tied
7. Dallas
8. Philadelphia
9. Atlanta
10. Seattle
11. Boston
12. Minneapolis
13. Las Vegas
14. Pittsburgh
15. Denver
Good list of cities, just to critique it I would eliminate your tied list and shuffle those cities around a bit.

I would eliminate Pittsburgh and Las Vegas and replace with San Diego and Charlotte somewhere on the list.

I'd also move Boston up to a top 6 spot and knock Atlanta below Seattle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 3:02 AM
stm stm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Canada
  1. Toronto
  2. Montreal
  3. Edmonton
  4. Vancouver
  5. Hamilton

USA
  1. LA
  2. NY
  3. Pittsburgh
  4. Chicago
  5. San Francisco

Everywhere Else
  1. Shanghai
  2. Hong Kong
  3. Dubai
  4. Tokyo
  5. London

Shanghai would probably be my overall #1.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 3:45 AM
Razor Razor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,861
For North America , I'm also a sucker for pre war (Art Decco). Anything you may see King Kong climb up circa 1936.

North America

NYC
Chicago
Toronto
Montreal (eclectic factor)
San Francisco
Philadelphia
Detroit
Houston
Calgary (Points for a great skyline for being a fairly small metro)


The Rest

Shanghai
Hong Kong
Tokyo
Sao Paulo
Sydney
Dubai
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 4:36 AM
destroycreate's Avatar
destroycreate destroycreate is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,155
How do people leave Seattle out of these lists!?
__________________
**16 years on SSP!**
Previously known as LaJollaCA
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 5:11 AM
stm stm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
How do people leave Seattle out of these lists!?
It would rank higher for me if not for the Space Needle. It really stands out in a bad way. Otherwise Seattle has a great skyline.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 5:57 AM
BnaBreaker's Avatar
BnaBreaker BnaBreaker is offline
Dump Drumpf
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago/Nashville
Posts: 15,967
Wow, this thread brings me back to 2003, when the majority of my forum experience revolved around me making completely random lists ranking cities on completely random criteria and posting them confidently as if people actually gave a shit what my thoughts were on the subject.
__________________
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds."

-Bob Marley
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 6:28 AM
turigamot's Avatar
turigamot turigamot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 90
USA only:

1. Skyline Drive, VA
2. Skyline Caverns, VA
3. Skyline Mountain Resort, UT
4. Skyline Trail, WA
5. Skyline Tavern, OR
6. Skyline Construction, CA
7. Capitol Skyline Hotel, DC
8. Skyline Lanes, MN
9. Skyline Park, GA
10. Skyline Chili, OH
__________________
?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 6:35 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
The New Republic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Provinces of America
Posts: 7,771
My Global Top 20

01. New York
02. Shanghai
03. Hong Kong
04. Chicago
05. Guangzhou
06. Toronto
07. Dubai
08. Kuala Lumpur
09. Shenzhen
10. Chongqing

11. Tokyo
12. Melbourne
13. Beijing
14. Singapore
15. Panama City
16. Bangkok
17. Tianjin
18. Manila
19. Moscow
20. Jakarta
__________________
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 3:20 PM
stm stm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Wow, this thread brings me back to 2003, when the majority of my forum experience revolved around me making completely random lists ranking cities on completely random criteria and posting them confidently as if people actually gave a shit what my thoughts were on the subject.

Oh look what we have here. You must be the fun guy at a party. Apparently you gave a shit by writing this silly post to a thread you don't give a shit about. Go away, please.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 10:48 AM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by stm View Post
Canada
  1. Toronto
  2. Montreal
  3. Edmonton
  4. Vancouver
  5. Hamilton

USA
  1. LA
  2. NY
  3. Pittsburgh
  4. Chicago
  5. San Francisco

Everywhere Else
  1. Shanghai
  2. Hong Kong
  3. Dubai
  4. Tokyo
  5. London

Shanghai would probably be my overall #1.
L.A. over NYC & Chicago in U.S.--REALLY? NYC is King. LA might be #3 (at best), but Houston & SF & Miami (Miami has huge # of condo towers) are right there with L.A. so I have them tied. In Canada, Calgary should be on the list, right behind Toronto, Vancouver & Montreal. Calgary skyline is very impressive.

Other notable skylines in U.S. just below the top 15: Charlotte, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Columbus, Detroit, Nashville, Tampa, Kansas City, San Diego (ranks high in beauty but height is restricted to 500'), Portland, Indianapolis, St. Louis, New Orleans.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 16, 2016 at 11:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 11:22 AM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 461
An objective skyline ranking sytem?

How about these?

Method 1: Add the total height of buildings over 100 meters in a city would be one way.

Method 2: I think a better way imho is to give progressively more weight to buildings over certain heights. For example, assign a rank of 1 for buildings between 100-200 meters, a rank of 5 for 200-300 meters, a rank of 10 for 300-400 meters, a rank of 15 for those between 400-500 meters, and a 20 for those over 500 meters. Add numbers of buildings of each rank in the city. Voila!

The second method favors cities with more supertalls, but a city with large numbers of lower buildings under 300 meters (like Miami, for example) could also rank highly.

Anybody have a more objective system?

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 16, 2016 at 11:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 5:26 PM
CastleScott CastleScott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento Ca/formerly CastleRock Co
Posts: 570
Cool list guys, however I don't think I saw Austin mentioned and Oklahoma City-for smaller cities there's Des Moines, Omaha and Tulsa. Heck if Sacramento would get its act together it could make the list as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 4:33 AM
stm stm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
L.A. over NYC & Chicago in U.S.--REALLY? NYC is King. LA might be #3 (at best), but Houston & SF & Miami (Miami has huge # of condo towers) are right there with L.A. so I have them tied. In Canada, Calgary should be on the list, right behind Toronto, Vancouver & Montreal. Calgary skyline is very impressive.

Other notable skylines in U.S. just below the top 15: Charlotte, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Columbus, Detroit, Nashville, Tampa, Kansas City, San Diego (ranks high in beauty but height is restricted to 500'), Portland, Indianapolis, St. Louis, New Orleans.
Oh I didn't know I wasn't entitled to an opinion. Sorry!

I judge based solely on the visual beauty regardless of height or quantity. Is that allowed? You like height and quantity. I do too, but not at the expense of overall beauty.

I love LA's skyline for no other reason than it looks really cool. Buildings are distinct and have space between each other, putting each one on display in all their glory. Same thing with London and Montreal.

Calgary, while it has size, looks boring. The city around it is dull too. I'd rather look at Quebec City or Hamilton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 4:37 AM
stm stm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
How about these?

Method 1: Add the total height of buildings over 100 meters in a city would be one way.

Method 2: I think a better way imho is to give progressively more weight to buildings over certain heights. For example, assign a rank of 1 for buildings between 100-200 meters, a rank of 5 for 200-300 meters, a rank of 10 for 300-400 meters, a rank of 15 for those between 400-500 meters, and a 20 for those over 500 meters. Add numbers of buildings of each rank in the city. Voila!

The second method favors cities with more supertalls, but a city with large numbers of lower buildings under 300 meters (like Miami, for example) could also rank highly.

Anybody have a more objective system?

Or we could all just have our own opinion with no basis other than we like it. Sounds a lot more fun than just a copy paste list of the biggest and baddest.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 5:54 AM
Austin55's Avatar
Austin55 Austin55 is offline
__________
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 4,816
1. Lake Charles, LA
2. Waco, TX
3. South Bend, IN
4. Bartlesville, OK
5. New York City, NY
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 6:11 PM
homebucket homebucket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 150
Ranked by a composite of beauty, height, and density, of cities I have been to:

North America
1) San Francisco
2) New York City
3) Chicago
4) Seattle
5) Vancouver
6) Miami
7) Philadelphia
8) Boston
9) San Diego
10) Los Angeles

Asia
1) Hong Kong
2) Singapore
3) Tokyo
4) Taipei
5) Seoul
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 12:25 AM
flashdash flashdash is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1
Top 15 World
1. Hong Kong China
2. New York USA
3. Shanghai China
4. Chicago USA
5. Guangzhou China
6. Shenzhen China
7. Tokyo Japan
8. Bangkok Thailand
9. Toronto Canada
10. Chongqing China
11. Tianjin China
12. Manila Philippines
13. Dalian China
14. Nanjing China
15. Singapore Singapore

Top 30 USA and Canada
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Toronto
4. Houston
5. Los Angeles
6. Philadelphia
7. Vancouver
8. San Francisco
9. Miami
10. Seattle
11. Minneapolis
12. Calgary
13. Dallas
14. Montreal
15. Boston
16. Pittsburgh
17. Atlanta
18. Denver
19. Detroit
20. Charlotte
21. Kansas City
22. Edmonton
23. Cincinnati
24. San Diego
25. Las Vegas
26. Cleveland
27. Austin
28. Baltimore
29. Tampa
30. St. Louis
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:57 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.