HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 7:42 PM

2011 World Figure Skating Championships to Vancouver?

http://www.theprovince.com/Vancouver...946/story.html

Just seen this article from The Province. Originally were to be taking place right now in Japan, but due to the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear fallout - it's been canceled.

Would be held in the Pacific Coliseum, either in late April or late May.
Would make sense - the rink had the Olympic events last year there, and it easily could be upgraded again to hold the events.

Although there may be scheduling conflicts with the Vancouver Giants playoffs if they go 3 rounds deep or so - I would expect they would relocate to either GM Place (Rogers Arena) or back to the Langley Events Centre if need be.

According to wikipedia, Vancouver and 5 other cities have applied to host the events on a short-term basis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Wo..._Championships

In another note - London, Ontario (my hometown) will be hosting the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships, so that may impact where this event would go.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 9:09 PM

I hope they come to Vancouver but it will likely be awarded to Russia. I think that it would be great for the city again and quite a challenge to through it together in a month in terms of ticket sales and the behind the scenes preparations.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation