HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:47 PM

Here in Canada, where we often vaunt our social programs and fair and just way of life, we take medical care as a basic human right, and where most would cringe at the the thought of
someone being left to bleed to death or die of untreated cancer simply because they had no money. // We'd point disdainfully at the USA, and polish our brass buttons.

IMO, the same applies with homelessness. I think that having a roof over your head, personal hygeine facilities, (and hopefully a bite to eat) should be core, basic, human rights.

Just how to determine who gets those rights (i.e: shoud it be only for addicts, the mentally ill, etc etc) is debatable, but not being able to find a job to pay rent will cause it equally well.

Where the homeless shelters should be (and I strongly advocate NOT putting them all in single buildings, creating "ghettoes") can be debated ad nauseum, as would the funding of such.

But having a warm, clean, dry, place to sleep, and attend to personal hygeine, is, IMO, a basic right, and to overlook it, or blame it on individuals' weakness is a cop-out.

I think the homeless issue should be addresssed with as much fervour and seriousness as we in Canada address our cherished social programs - most notably medical care for all.

Thank you.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics