HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
For a brief period of time after they bought MediPlus, we had I think 13 Shoppers Drug Marts in Thunder Bay. We're down to 8 or 9 now.

Rexall is basically just green Shoppers Drug Mart. I went to one in Hamilton (got a good deal on some polarized sun glasses there) and it was a lot more similar than I thought. If we're going to get a new drug store chain here, I'd rather it be London Drugs. Which—if the peeps at Morguard are reading—would be a great fit for the old Homesense space in Intercity.

I just Googled it and Urban Planet is going in that spot but it can still find a home in the old Sears, there is plenty of room! Stick it beside the Loblaws to piss off Gaylen Weston.
Sadly, directly from some friends who work for London Drugs, the lack of London Drugs (and the fact that there is only one in Winnipeg) is due to the distance from their distribution centre. It's basically the same issue that we were discussing earlier concerning Costco - it's too far/expensive to ship. This is also why we have no Sleep Country in Thunder Bay - and that's directly from people in the industry. This, if memory serves, is also one of the reasons that a Red Lobster franchise has never been more than a passing fancy. Isolation and lack of reliable and cost-effective shipping to Thunder Bay are a definite hindrance.

I, too, feel like London Drugs would do well in Thunder Bay.

Like we've discussed before, there are a half dozen national and sub-national retailers that do not have a presence in Thunder Bay that would probably do quite well in the local market: Costco, Princess Auto, Giant Tiger, Sleep Country, Cabella's, Jysk, Rexall, London Drugs... Why they haven't come is probably all due to the same reason, or variations thereof.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 6:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
Sadly, directly from some friends who work for London Drugs, the lack of London Drugs (and the fact that there is only one in Winnipeg) is due to the distance from their distribution centre. It's basically the same issue that we were discussing earlier concerning Costco - it's too far/expensive to ship. This is also why we have no Sleep Country in Thunder Bay - and that's directly from people in the industry. This, if memory serves, is also one of the reasons that a Red Lobster franchise has never been more than a passing fancy. Isolation and lack of reliable and cost-effective shipping to Thunder Bay are a definite hindrance.

I, too, feel like London Drugs would do well in Thunder Bay.

Like we've discussed before, there are a half dozen national and sub-national retailers that do not have a presence in Thunder Bay that would probably do quite well in the local market: Costco, Princess Auto, Giant Tiger, Sleep Country, Cabella's, Jysk, Rexall, London Drugs... Why they haven't come is probably all due to the same reason, or variations thereof.
Northern Ontario is so spread out that all retailers have a tough time. That is why the ones that are here have been here for a long time, or that they are in cities closer to the major cities. That is why there is a Costco in Sudbury.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Actually, the rumours on the Winnipeg pages are that there will be two new Winnipeg stores with the existing St, James store converted to a distribution centre. That would likely make a Thunder Bay store viable.
Not that the Thunder Bay "Costco dream" hasn't fallen apart in the past.

Not sure if it is the earliest example but in 1993 it appears Superstore scuttled a Costco appearance in Thunder Bay:
http://images.ourontario.ca/gateway/2194511/data?n=1
http://images.ourontario.ca/gateway/2195343/data?n=5

Variety of mentions of Costco in Thunder Bay for about a decade after:
http://images.ourontario.ca/gateway/...29&rows=20&p=1

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 6:06 PM

THUNDER BAY

Matawa First Nations has apparently purchased the IBM Building in the downtown south core, and will eventually be occupying all 5 floors as the other tenants' leases expire. I'm not sure if they'll be renovating anything as some cosmetic work was done on the building a few years ago.

A new billboard has popped up next to the Subaru dealership on 16th Ave. advertising a 3-storey office building. Looks like a build to suit deal similar to what was proposed on the larger site before Subaru moved in. I think its a little more promising this time since there are several larger local players represented on the board, with good financing.

I'm hearing there is another new store coming to Intercity Mall, and that the building Home Outfitters is in may be filled already. Still early in the going, so not releasing names yet as I don't know they are a done deal.

A new roughly 11000 SF building is proposed to go up in Innova Park this summer by a multi-national company with an existing local presence.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
THUNDER BAY

Matawa First Nations has apparently purchased the IBM Building in the downtown south core, and will eventually be occupying all 5 floors as the other tenants' leases expire. I'm not sure if they'll be renovating anything as some cosmetic work was done on the building a few years ago.

A new billboard has popped up next to the Subaru dealership on 16th Ave. advertising a 3-storey office building. Looks like a build to suit deal similar to what was proposed on the larger site before Subaru moved in. I think its a little more promising this time since there are several larger local players represented on the board, with good financing.

I'm hearing there is another new store coming to Intercity Mall, and that the building Home Outfitters is in may be filled already. Still early in the going, so not releasing names yet as I don't know they are a done deal.

A new roughly 11000 SF building is proposed to go up in Innova Park this summer by a multi-national company with an existing local presence.
The tenant for Innova Park will be Fed - Ex as they shift locations from the airport to Innova.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 8:35 PM

THUNDER BAY

The City of Thunder Bay is currently tendering the last phase of the Golf Link/Junot corridor upgrades. This final phase covers John St. to Junot Ave., and will see the roadway increased to 4 lanes, new sidewalks, and it appears new traffic signals at Windsor St. I didn't think there was adequate vehicular traffic at this intersection to warrant traffic signals... a signalized pedestrian crossover would've been better. Thinking the drawings are older from when this project originally began, and therefore pre-pedestrian crossover.

A little further up, the city has posted that they have received an application for development of two apartment buildings and a commercial building at the corner of Golf Links Rd. and Riviera Dr. (north side where the North-West Arterial may one day be built). Not sure how long the sign has been up... I just happened to notice it the other day.

The Matawa Education Centre has recieved $16 million from the federal government for the final phase of their newer Thunder Bay high school project. A new gymnasium facility and square footage related to housing the students will be added on to the existing building.

Last edited by TbayON; Apr 22, 2019 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 7:26 AM

Has the Delta Hotel opened yet?

Has it? Seems like a very long delay in opening this hotel.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 10:35 PM
I am a typical

It opens next Thursday.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 11:36 PM

^ Perhaps a "soft opening". The first day available for online booking is checking in May 12.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 1:45 PM

An article in today's Chronicle Journal indicates early May opening, with some kind of announcement to come from the developers next week.

You are correct, there was a very lengthy delay in opening this hotel. Marriott's acquisition of the Delta brand did factor in at a corporate level. Off the record, the majority of the delays has been related to project management though, or a lack there-of. There have also been issues obtaining occupancy.

The Courthouse Hotel on Camelot recently went through final inspections, and will also be opening soon too.

=========

Renovations are well underway on the former Greyhound garage/service building on Fort William Rd., with it being converted into the new Used Car Superstore. The main terminal building isn't involved in this renovation... sounds like it won't be touched until a tenant is found.

A couple 4-plexes are going up on Coady Pl. currently. I think they are part of the Castlegreen Housing development.

Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services has significantly increased the size of their proposed transitional housing unit proposed for Junot Ave., from 20 units to 58 units. OAHS is still in negotiations with the city regarding purchasing the city-owned property. There is some push back from a couple city Councillors at the moment.

Last edited by TbayON; Apr 25, 2019 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 3:07 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

All Nations Hospital (Kenora) Project to Proceed

https://www.kenoradailyminerandnews....spital-project

ONPC confirmed commitment to the project. Rickford wants federal money for this too.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 7:06 AM

Thanks for the reply

Thanks everyone for the reply to my inquiry about when the Delta hotel will open. I look forward to seeing pictures of the Grand Opening

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:00 PM

Press release from the Delta opening in Thunder Bay:

https://news.marriott.com/2019/05/de...thurs-landing/

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 11:25 PM

There is a Home2 Suites by Hilton coming to Thunder Bay?

http://canadianlodgingnews.com/lodgi...s-april-9-2019

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
There is a Home2 Suites by Hilton coming to Thunder Bay?

http://canadianlodgingnews.com/lodgi...s-april-9-2019
I wouldn't be surprised... the only brand name exclusively 'suite' hotel in Thunder Bay is the Marriott Towneplace that I'm aware of. Despite numerous hotels opening over the past few years, the occupancy rate here remains strong. Upcoming infrastructure and mining developments regionally will likely drive increased need for longer term stay hotels in the city.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
I wouldn't be surprised... the only brand name exclusively 'suite' hotel in Thunder Bay is the Marriott Towneplace that I'm aware of. Despite numerous hotels opening over the past few years, the occupancy rate here remains strong. Upcoming infrastructure and mining developments regionally will likely drive increased need for longer term stay hotels in the city.
Shall we start speculating as to where this hotel might be built?

On a more serious note... The construction at the Marina over the next few weeks... Is this the extension of Sleeping Giant Parkway to make way for the Art Gallery potentially breaking ground this year? Or is this something else?

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:21 AM
I am a typical

They're finishing up the boat launch parking lot from what I've heard on the radio.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:01 PM

The Hilton will be located next to the existing Hampton Inn on west Arthur street.
It looks like there will be a gas station built in County Fair Plaza, where the old Beaver Lumber used to be.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
They're finishing up the boat launch parking lot from what I've heard on the radio.
Alright. I've been down there a bit lately and see that they've got the extension all laid out, base down, etc... just wondering when the asphalt is going to get laid down.

There are only a few unfinished projects down there right now along with some of the larger projects that are in various stages of planning. With the Delta finally open and the focus of development changing to the north and south ends of the park I am always curious as to what is actually going to happen next.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 8:55 PM

I think the focus will centre around the art gallery location in the near future. I haven't heard anything regarding the market square that is to be built in the parking lot out front of the CN station, or what is going on in the CN station itself (it was to be renovated as part of the Resolve Group's development). It would be great to see work begin on the waterfront trail linking P.A. with Fort William, but I think that is a way's off yet.

An application has been made to the city to convert the vacant portion of the Northwood Mall (on the north end) to a storage facility. This proposal will require re-zoning. The unit has been vacant for years and years, and the stucco facade is showing its age.

Can't remember if I mentioned it, Zumiez is opening a store in Intercity Mall. Some pretty substantial renovations are occurring at the moment prior to opening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario